Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 11:41 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
No it won't and only where price is a consideration and I'd take a PDK GT4 everyday of the week over the C8. Initially had high hopes for the C8 but.....its clearly a price point car.

I would check one out in addition but not instead of. The more I see the less I like - for example it looks like they have struggled with weight, engine placement/packaging and cooling. The actual method of construction would be very familiar to Great Wall or Geely. Bolt construction is used primarily to save weight and cost.
LOL How did you deduce that a C8 has cooling challenges? From looking at pictures?
One of the primary reasons that a C8 is much heavier than a 718 is the size of the engine. I will always opt for a 8 cyl over a 4 cyl, notwithstanding the extra weight.
The following users liked this post:
2slow2speed (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 11:42 AM
bertram928
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

In which case a Tesla is your tool of choice.
HaHa i put that in there so that I would not be branded as public enemy #1, drag racing, disturbing the piece, and all that juvenile stuff that are the ire of old fogies.

No traffic early morning, could not resist, a conveyance only for landscape supply and back never expected to play in it
, got other drivers cars

Never a Tesla, no place to load raw organic mulch. LOL
2slow2speed (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 11:46 AM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMystro
The Corvette vs Porsche comparison is 4 decades long. It’s fueled by budget minded car seekers validating not paying high end prestige car prices. The Chevy Corvette will never be a prestige car and that doesn’t matter to some and others, style and prestige is a important factor if they admit it or not. It’s only human nature.
Everyone assumes everyone’s priorities are the same and the definition of “better” has 100s of different meanings.
In the end it always boils down to buying the car that you can afford that makes you smile most.
Yep, i could buy a 600LT and track it but it has it's own set of logistical issues.... I don't need/want prestige, way past that a looooong time ago...
Old 07-26-2019, 11:46 AM
bertram928
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Please,for the love of God,stop quoting JD Powers,the tool that awards the highest bidder!
Correct, but it is reality for many and a differentiation tool for many buyers.

The award for the Oshawa plant for Gen5 Camaro was well earned and corroborated by many others sources, long term tests, forums etc.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:49 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,018 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
LOL How did you deduce that a C8 has cooling challenges? From looking at pictures?
One of the primary reasons that a C8 is much heavier than a 718 is the size of the engine. I will always opt for a 8 cyl over a 4 cyl, notwithstanding the extra weight.
B pillar back and size of ducts when viewed from front and oblique angle, plus packaging ...... obvious struggle

Why opt for an 8 when you can get a rev happy flat six................
CaymanCarver (07-27-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 11:55 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm in The Weird here. But I'm not all that different from a lot of sports car guys either.

With my 981 still in the house I probably would be only mildly curious about this Corvette. I drove the 981s at introduction and I knew immediately it was for me. More than the 911. I loved my last year 2016 981 S and it was loaded up with virtually all the Porsche options. Its interior was good - I wouldn't call it great but I preferred the S leather over the GTS. But overall that was my car. It flooded with 1600 miles on it. Sad. But with my girls home under too, it wasn't my biggest concern.

The 718 isn't in any way to me a replacement. I tried 'em and its a no go. Ran 'em on the track a day too and it isn't for me. I despise the 4 cylinder and even the thought of it. That is as a street going sports car. I don't care if it goes the fastest ever on track at umpteen thousand rpm. And I'm not the only one in that camp.

Just because it says P on it and I've been there a long time, doesn't mean I have to instantly go gaga over everything they do. I've seen scored cylinders, IMS bearings, burned up - torn up motors, and more with Porsche. Enough to know these cars weren't built by elves either. If that happens in Porsche its character - if it happens with Ford and GM its junk. A lot of those guys that had character building experiences with Porsche aren't in them anymore.

I'm not racing anymore, and if I was I'd go build another dirt car and really have fun hanging it out there. So a track day now and again with my buds suits me.

Being able to putt around in the car and go out with Mrs TR and have a little spirited drive yeah I like it. Or get it in it and get out in Dallas or on to LV even and see Joe. Yeah I'd like for the car to have a little pizzazz too and kick in the pants and get up ahead of the traffic. Or run it hard on a back road and have it track the line. Then get bbq and cruise in. A couple of 100 lbs of weight aint bothering me and besides when I drove 911s - you know the ones without full on electronic nannies in them - I think we could agree you felt that lump out back in the corner turn in. My baby got back right?

So thats why I'm liking the idea of seeing this Corvette. And I think GM put it out there too. So I'd reward them for that effort if it does that. No one does a better job of marketing and over hyping their cars than Porsche. And it's another one of those reasons we like them. I mean how many 911 models are there now - about 25 or more? And it made me howl when the T came out. Some bolt ons, 10 lbs lighter ( whoa ) ,and the stock 370hp motor, and all that for $130,000 and guys gasped that it was something new. I even liked the car, but that made up my mind to see what else was out there. Enter the Corvette at Door Number 1.

Is this Vette the fastest car ever? No. Will it be the highest build quality in history? Probably not and that makes it not a lot different than most sports cars. Will you and I be the only one in town with one? No. Will it have some problems - ahha - there you go - yes of course. Character vs junk again.

But I suspect the driving dynamics will be there in this Vette. I think a reliable 500 hp is something man. With a proper full honking 8 cylinders. I first looked at a Corvette in 1979 - 1980 as I was fresh out of college with my engineering degree in hand. I didn't get one then either. It had a whopping 190 hp I think - does that tell you where we are today? 3 seconds to 60 , or less, and we are going to argue over one- tenth. Yeah ok.

Ive said this before and it's absolutely true. Today and right now is The Golden Age of Cars. After years of this I'm not just blown away by any cars - well any that aren't dedicated racing cars anyway. I have never had a Corvette and only rarely been in them. But this one raises the flag enough that I want to see what's its like.

I think that is the biggest mid ground of this new Corvette.

Oh - and Chicks dig em!

Last edited by TexasRider; 07-26-2019 at 12:14 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by TexasRider:
2slow2speed (07-26-2019), bertram928 (07-26-2019), Caustic (07-26-2019), GT3FZS (08-07-2019), Noah Fect (07-26-2019), SeanR (07-26-2019), SoCal-NSX (07-26-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-26-2019, 11:56 AM
TheMystro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

B pillar back and size of ducts when viewed from front and oblique angle, plus packaging ...... obvious struggle

To further stand on that point. How the hell does GM get so little HP from a 6.2L V8 in today’s world? Top Gear brought this up every time when reviewing a Corvette. Where does the hp go in such a large V8 engine? That should be 700hp out of a 6.2l
Old 07-26-2019, 12:06 PM
2slow2speed
Pro

Car been NA should help, plenty of venting on top as well as the back. Not a skeleton like a P1 but for 495hp NA it should suffice.

Look at the surface area for the various radiators that the C8 has, and the ones that the Z51 package is supposed to add. More total radiator surface area with clean air than the old C7 Z51 with about 30 more HP. Maybe you are thinking ahead about the Z06/ZR1 which will have forced induction, I could see thermal issues with that particular package.

As far as your argument goes torque limited 4.0 that will have about 300lb/ft of torque vs 475lb/ft of torque with about 250lbs of more weight than the GT4, easy choice for me.
GT3FZS (08-07-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 12:08 PM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 195 Posts

Not everything is about price..............the mona lisa is oil paint on canvas fettled by a trade painter, to others it a priceless masterpiece - there are reasons as to why the latter is the accepted view

A straightforward question - why should I trade my 720S or 991 II 3RS for a C8?
I don't see any reason to trade a 720S or 3RS. I don't see the C8 as a direct competitor for the 720S or 2/3RS. Those cars are in a different league in brand and market position, and from what we know today, performance. That could change with the Zora, ZR1, whatever they call it, we will see. C8 is clearly moving Corvette upmarket in price and performance and it will be interesting to see the business strategy play out.

For discussion purposes, let's consider a hypothetical C8 Zora with power and overall performance numbers that are equal to or better than a 720S. Let's say the car sells for $190k. McLaren is a more premium, luxury brand, and perhaps a veblen good. Is that worth the price difference? Is a Rolex worth the price difference over a Tag or Tudor? Depends on the buyer.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:09 PM
2slow2speed
Pro

Originally Posted by TheMystro
To further stand on that point. How the hell does GM get so little HP from a 6.2L V8 in today’s world? Top Gear brought this up every time when reviewing a Corvette. Where does the hp go in such a large V8 engine? That should be 700hp out of a 6.2l
Easy, lower redline due to the pushrod architecture of the 6.2L engine. Not a 9K screamer like an F-car or a P-car. Run of the mill engine with lower cost internals.

For reference: HP = (RPM * T) / 5252
Old 07-26-2019, 12:10 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

It only gets 500 HP because it's a base model. They need a platform to grow from there,no? To be honest I didn't even know they're still using pushrod engines until someone mentioned it. Isn't that '40s technology? Lol. I love it! Dead reliable! I don't know how they pass emissions,but who cares...
Old 07-26-2019, 12:12 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
I'm in The Weird here. But I'm not all that different from a lot of sports car guys either.

With my 981 still in the house I probably would be only mildly curious about this Corvette. I drove the 981s at introduction and I knew immediately it was for me. More than the 911. I loved my last year 2016 981 S and it was loaded up with virtually all the Porsche options. Its interior was good - I wouldn't call it great. But overall that was my car. It flooded with 1600 miles on it. Sad. But with my girls home under too, it wasn't my biggest concern.

The 718 isn't in any way to me a replacement. I tried 'em and its a no go. Ran 'em on the track a day too and it isn't for me. I despise the 4 cylinder and even the thought of it. That is as a street going sports car. I don't care if it goes the fastest ever on track at umpteen thousand rpm. And I'm not the only one in that camp.

Just because it says P on it and I've been there a long time, doesn't mean I have to instantly go gaga over everything they do. I've seen scored cylinders, IMS bearings, burned up - torn up motors, and more with Porsche. Enough to know these cars weren't built by elves either. If that happens in Porsche its character - if it happens with Ford and GM its junk. A lot of those guys that had character building experiences with Porsche aren't in them anymore.

I'm not racing anymore, and if I was I'd go build another dirt car and really have fun hanging it out there. So a track day now and again with my buds suits me.

Being able to putt around in the car and go out with Mrs TR and have a little spirited drive yeah I like it. Or get it in it and get out in Dallas or on to LV even and see Joe. Yeah I'd like for the car to have a little pizzazz too and kick in the pants and get up ahead of the traffic. Or run it hard on a back road and have it track the line. Then get bbq and cruise in. A couple of 100 lbs of weight aint bothering me and besides when I drove 911s - you know the ones without full on electronic nannies in them - I think we could agree you felt that lump out back in the corner turn in. My baby got back right?

So thats why I'm liking the idea of seeing this Corvette. And I think GM put it out there too. So I'd reward them for that effort if it does that. No one does a better job of marketing and over hyping their cars than Porsche. And it's another one of those reasons we like them. I mean how many 911 models are there now - about 25 or more? And it made me howl when the T came out. Some bolt ons, 10 lbs lighter ( whoa ) ,and the stock 370hp motor, and all that for $130,000 and guys gasped that it was something new. I even liked the car, but that made up my mind to see what else was out there. Enter the Corvette at Door Number 1.

Is this Vette the fastest car ever? No. Will it be the highest build quality in history? Probably not and that makes it not a lot different than most sports cars. Will you and I be the only one in town with one? No. Will it have some problems - ahha - there you go - yes of course. Character vs junk again.

But I suspect the driving dynamics will be there in this Vette. I think a reliable 500 hp is something man. With a proper full 8 cylinders. I first looked at a Corvette in 1979 - 1980 as I was fresh out of college with my engineering degree in hand. I didn't get one then either. It had a whopping 190 hp I think - does that tell you where we are today?

After years of this I'm not just blown away by any cars - well any that aren't dedicated racing cars anyway. I have never had a Corvette and only rarely been in them. But this one raises the flag enough that I want to see what's its like.

I think that is the biggest mid ground of this new Corvette.

Wow. Very well articulated post. Spot on ...

You forgot "because it's a race car" excuse. LOL.

2015 Macan's have a defective engine seal causing oil leaks. Guys out warranty getting hit with a $8K fix. "Character" I guess.
GT3FZS (08-07-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 12:15 PM
C5driver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Its the latent engineer in me - the sectioned car troubled me a lot, I feel/suspect the C8 will be very much like the 1M, M2 or Ford Focus RS - initial excitement followed by reality and ultimately a bit of disappointment. Good up to a point but ultimately found out e.g. chassis, mechanical or just not that good past 80%.
This C8 is really a Gen 1, Version 1 of a brave new Corvette world and for that reason, I'd give them a break on this first attempt. The subsequent generations will have trickle down tech from the race teams and the meat eater versions of the C8 and C9 will be phenomenal. In the meantime, 40K base versions per year will pay GM's bills nicely.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:18 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Not everything is about price..............
Comments like this remind me of the old Curtis Mathes TV commercials. "The most expensive TV's on the market, but they're worth it!!!"
Old 07-26-2019, 12:19 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

I thought that the 981 GT4 was one of the best cars that Porsche ever built for the money. The problem that I have with the 718 GT4 is the gearing. I read that 5K RPM in 2nd gear gives you 60 MPH. I suppose that Porsche is more concerned about keeping the RPMs low on the street to reduce carbon emissions, rather than providing a great driving experience on the street.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?