Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 02:57 PM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 195 Posts

I may be in the minority, but I am interested in a base non-Z51 version with few options. Maybe add performance exhaust and little else. I have a hunch that will be a hard to find spec.
The following users liked this post:
Craigy (07-31-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 03:26 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,266 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by GoKart Mozart
What is interesting to me is that there seems to be an epiphany that the Vette is a much better deal than other sports car. This is nothing new. The outgoing Z06 and ZR1 were way cheaper than anything with similar performance from Germany and Italy. So just because it is now a mid engine it matters? Maybe a little! But to me the front engine layout wasn't never the reason to not buy a Vette.

The C8 should perform and handle better than the C7, and it's awesome that Chevy went this direction, Bravo! But I'd still buy a lightly used ~$90k 981 GT4, over a new ~$70k C8 Z51 Vette. And once it gets to the Z06, which will probably be pusing closer to $85k, I don't know that I would buy it over a new 718 GT4, despite it being faster.
see what your saying but I think its the fact that quality continues to increase and the dynamics of the drive will now match up better. I always thought C7 Vettes were cool but the long hood/design/dynamics just weren't to my liking. this changes that and I'm in the camp that thinks the new interior looks great. BIG question from me is does that new interior actually FEEL great when you are in it. Because again, 992 interior doesn't feel that great.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:34 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Nm2far
I test drove a manual Grand Sport earlier this year and really liked the car but the interior was junk IMO. The 911 was far more refined in every way, and the Vette much more raw and visceral but not in a bad way. The 911 is now almost too refined and disconnected in some ways. A little raw and visceral as long as it’s not dangerous and can be reliable might be just the ticket for a weekend sports car. Take away the demographic DMC over marquees and they are both really great sports cars with different strengths and weaknesses. I see it with more emphasis on the same with different approaches than better or worse. I’m really looking forward to the detailed reviews and road tests that should be trickling out soon before I pass judgement.
You lost me with your "the interior was junk" observation. I see similar observations in this thread, and I strongly disagree. I can buy that the Corvette's interior is inferior to that of a 991, but to write that it's junk is way over the top. BTW I've never seen a 911's interior as being as one of its strong points.If I want top of the line interiors I'd buy an Audi A8L or MB S class. My wife has an Audi A8L and its interior is far superior to any 911 I've owned.
handful (07-25-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 03:46 PM
AZWCat
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 23 Posts

I think phrases like "game changer", are warranted just because the mid-engine format is really the territory of supercars. I also agree that the formula for the Vette is pretty much the same and the customer demographics may not change a whole lot. That is, I don't see anyone who is concerned with being seen at the hottest restaurants/bars, or among rich friends/neighbors, wanting this car more than previous generations. How much you pay is directly related to exclusivity, which is a big part of the supercar appeal. Vettes have struggled with the "cool" factor and image of being a retired person's dream car. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt this will change.

For me, I am primarily looking for track performance value and the C8 is on my radar now. Will see how it fares in hot temps before deciding.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:55 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by AZWCat
For me, I am primarily looking for track performance value and the C8 is on my radar now. Will see how it fares in hot temps before deciding.
I’m not in the market in the short term but that’s exactly what I think of it too. I don’t presently and don’t expect to want one as a street car, but it has all the ingredients to make it an excellent track/race car. I wonder how much weight can be taken out of it.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:12 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
You lost me with your "the interior was junk" observation. I see similar observations in this thread, and I strongly disagree. I can buy that the Corvette's interior is inferior to that of a 991, but to write that it's junk is way over the top. BTW I've never seen a 911's interior as being as one of its strong points.If I want top of the line interiors I'd buy an Audi A8L or MB S class. My wife has an Audi A8L and its interior is far superior to any 911 I've owned.
I agree. Sounds like a bunch of lemmings to me.

I would have put my C7 3LT interior up against most any sub $150k car out there. It may not have always won. But, I damn sure would not have been embarrassed. I don’t know what the C8 will be like once it’s in production. But, I seriously doubt anyone who is objective in the least will call it junk.

But, I have to remember there has always been people who buy in to one marque and denigrate any other.....facts be damned. Some Porsche owners are that way. If it makes them happy, then

Unfortunately, they’ll never know what they are missing
thebishman (07-26-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 04:23 PM
Caustic
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by AZWCat
I think phrases like "game changer", are warranted just because the mid-engine format is really the territory of supercars. I also agree that the formula for the Vette is pretty much the same and the customer demographics may not change a whole lot. That is, I don't see anyone who is concerned with being seen at the hottest restaurants/bars, or among rich friends/neighbors, wanting this car more than previous generations. How much you pay is directly related to exclusivity, which is a big part of the supercar appeal. Vettes have struggled with the "cool" factor and image of being a retired person's dream car. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt this will change.

GM is looking to usher in a new set eyes and a younger age for the car. Many enthusiasts look into the used car market as a way to get a great sports car for a great price. I think GM may feel they can tap into an enthusiast market that values the exotic layout, and of course the look that comes with it. What would you rather have, a 10 year old Audi R8, Ferrari 360/430, Lambo Gallardo, or a brand new Corvette that will do the job better, cheaper and probably (hopefully) less repair hassle?

Just the fact that the discussion on a Porsche forum has blown up the way it has is an indicator that GM has almost accomplished its mission. Now all GM has to do is execute and deliver a decent experience with minimal issue. I would rather have a vette that does 85-90% of what the Ferrari does for a 1/4 of the price. Less stress taking it anywhere, less stress parking it, less stress putting miles on it, less stress for any possible repair. For people who track, it makes a lot of sense.
The following 2 users liked this post by Caustic:
Craigy (07-31-2019), GT3FZS (08-06-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 04:33 PM
Nm2far
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Maybe a bit strong - it struck me as not up to the same standards as the rest of the car, with the same kind of hard part plastic bits you see on economy GM products. VW’s have better interior trim. I didn’t see a 3LT that had Napa leather, however was unimpressed with the 2LT Mulan leather. Mustangs and Camaro’s suffer the same interior issue. It was what basically kept me from buying the car when I was looking at them seriously. I liked everything else about it, especially in a MT.

I’m hoping the new interior lives up to the PR - GM obviously knew it was a weak point previously. Bummed about no MT, but a good DCT is way better than the previous version. I consider the current C7 awesome cars and hope the C8 is as good as it looks.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:44 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,338 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by Nm2far
with the same kind of hard part plastic bits you see on economy GM products.
Exactly my gripe with the Vette and Camaro. Too much of THE cheapest hard plastic available used in highly visible areas. At least put a little foam padding underneath the vinyl and make it soft touch. Cutting costs inside the cockpit just cheapens the whole experience for me. That's not to say I won't be owning one of the first C8's. I just might.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:07 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Exactly my gripe with the Vette and Camaro. Too much of THE cheapest hard plastic available used in highly visible areas. At least put a little foam padding underneath the vinyl and make it soft touch. Cutting costs inside the cockpit just cheapens the whole experience for me. That's not to say I won't be owning one of the first C8's. I just might.
Yeah, because the 986, 996, 987, 997, etc didn’t have any of that
The following 2 users liked this post by billh1963:
Dan87951 (07-26-2019), porschedood5000 (07-25-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 05:16 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by billh1963
Yeah, because the 986, 996, 987, 997, etc didn’t have any of that
This '16 Spyder is my first Porsche so I have no opinion/experience with those cars. But the plastic center consoles of the GM cars, complete with the faux leather grain embossed into it, was as bad as it gets. Are you telling me the 986, 987, 996 and 997 trim was as bad?
Old 07-25-2019, 05:27 PM
fast1
Race Car

This '16 Spyder is my first Porsche so I have no opinion/experience with those cars. But the plastic center consoles of the GM cars, complete with the faux leather grain embossed into it, was as bad as it gets. Are you telling me the 986, 987, 996 and 997 trim was as bad?
Never bought one but I test drove a 986, and its interior reminded me of a taxi cab. There's no doubt that Porsche was cutting costs on that model.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:40 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,448 Likes on 4,110 Posts

IMO, any (every) Porsche should have the Full Leather option selected so that the dash top and door tops are leather instead of plastic. With that option, the interiors are far nicer than the embossed synthetic material of prior Corvettes. Without it, the Porsche interiors aren't great. The 996 was a pretty low point in Porsche interiors - design, materials, etc so that's not a decent comparison.

I don't like screens and much prefer buttons and switches and the fewer driver aids the better so the 997 is the perfect blend of semi-modern conveniences with an older school Porsche feel. It's one of the reasons I bought a 2009 Cayenne even though I didn't buy it until 2016 as the interior has a similar feel to my 997. I don't need a car that puts on the brakes for me, turns the high beams on and off based on oncoming headlights, vibrates the steering wheel when I change lanes without signaling, distance adjusts when using cruise control, or any of the new crap. About the only new crap I like is the little light on the mirror that tells me when someone is in my blind spot, but think that's been around for about 8 years, so not all that new. I would imagine the new Vette has tons of the "crap" I don't like.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:47 PM
fast1
Race Car

Unless you already have a deposit on one, you won't be one of the first. I called a large Corvette dealer in MD and was told that they already had over 50 people who had deposits. So unless you have a deposit on a C8, you won't be owning one of the first C8s. OTOH there may be some small dealer that has just a couple of C8 allocations that may be selling to anyone who is willing to pay a significant ADM. But the big boys who are selling at MSRP have lots and lots of buyers in queue.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:55 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Unless you already have a deposit on one, you won't be one of the first...
Uhh, ok.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?