Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 10:26 AM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I see this complaint a lot yet I can’t relate even though I went from Green to Black (pre-instructor) group in a black bone stock 987 Boxster S with std suspension. If you catch up to a high HP car that is much slower than you and is putting the anchor down in every corner, all it takes is a little planning (speed diff estimate, timing, delay) to eliminate losing any of your momentum behind them in the turn and timing to arrive at their bumper and pass at/after track out when the speed differential is the largest. Then, if the straight is too long and they catch up with sheer HP, just don’t give them the point-by (or defend the inside if/when racing) and after the next turn you’ll be gone.

The most common mistake I see low HP momentum cars make with slow high HP cars is parking it right behind them in the turn and losing all momentum. Never lose momentum, should be the mantra.
Hmm..I believe that you are really simplifying things, It all depends on the track and the situation at hand, a track like Laguna where your corner entry into turn 11 is the same regardless of the vehicle been driven given the nature of the corner it' is impossible for a relatively low HP car to bump draft and pass a car that has a 200hp differential and can put the power down properly going into the main straight. I have had many situations where I can catch up to a car entering the corkscrew and going through the corkscrew/rainy corner combo simply because my car had better aero and less weight but it's not feasible to make a safe pass at that portion of the track without risking a serious off at high speed for both vehicles. Have to follow that car all the way to turn 11, then been blown off for about 2/3 of the track due to the HP differential just to catch up to the car at a similar portion of the track. 2 cars can have similar lap times, but where each vehicle makes time can be very different.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:28 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Just a guess but I would be surprised if the most outspoken Corvette critics have ever driven a Corvette, much less owned one.
On another issue I can understand why a discussion of a Corvette would be moved to a sub-forum, but I created a thread titled "GT4 vs C8" on the 718 forum, and that thread was removed from the 718 forum. As a long time member of this forum, I have seen many threads over the years comparing a Porsche model to a competitor, and it was never deleted or relocated. Not certain why an exception was made in this case.
The following 3 users liked this post by fast1:
Chester7 (07-24-2019), Dan87951 (07-24-2019), porschedood5000 (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 10:30 AM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil~
I would skip this base model and focus on the Z06 or Grand Sport.
I am thinking the same.

I don't know how you guys feel about Rob @Superspeeders. But he put out a video in which he stated if you are buying the c8 Stingray, you have basically committed to buying two. Once the higher performance variant debuts (whether it's the GS, Z06, or ZR1), most Stingray owners will likely get that also.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:42 AM
Caustic
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

The car isn't a Miata. The car is supposed to do everything, its a GT car, its a sports car, its a "super car".

There were several sacrifices that they had to make. Size to fit bigger american frames (take that as you will!) and fit golf clubs (2 sets!) and travel bags. Price to hit the market segments that make the car accessible and grow with economies of scale. This will be a much more common car than maybe the typical Porsche/McLaren/Ferrari/etc owner might be comfortable with. Aluminum chassis and fiberglass body instead of carbon fiber to keep the overall costs down.

But the people who are questioning the size, weight, cost are missing the point. This is a mid-engine, naturally aspirated, american V8, with current tech from the suspension to the infotainment system, that pulls 1g on a skidpad in stock form, for $60k! And this is just the BASE vehicle.

I have been on the hunt to upgrade my manual 997 C4 to a turbo or an R8, but the C8 made me pause and put the brakes on that purchase. Its at such a price point that I can keep my manual 997 and have the Corvette C8 too. THAT is the game changer.
The following 3 users liked this post by Caustic:
Craigy (07-30-2019), GT3FZS (08-05-2019), porschedood5000 (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 10:42 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
^^^ fair point but note the example you quote are AWD and the R8 and GT-R are very old designs now. My Mclaren is really a better comparison for a mid-engined high performance car and that comes in close to 3200 lbs in the real world fully fuelled. So the C8 does look heavy in a mid-engined RWD analysis. Light weight and meeting modern safety standards is a costly exercise.

My gut feel is there will be a lot lessons learned from the C8 and it may well prove the C9 is the one to have.
But you can buy a half dozen C8s for the price of a new Mclaren.
The following 2 users liked this post by fast1:
Craigy (07-30-2019), GT3FZS (08-05-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 11:03 AM
2slow2speed
Pro

Originally Posted by chillindrdude
I am still enthusiastic, but tamping down on the hype.

The weight doesn't concern me nearly as much as the wheelbase. My GT350 is probably just as heavy and long but I feel it's acceptably nimble thru suspension and damper design trickery while on circuit.

I think those expecting cayman-esque lightness and responsiveness will be disappointed.

But I am reserving final judgement until some in-depth drive reviews are done. I did see alot of development testing on the Nurburgring, this is encouraging.
For folks who track I would recommend just waiting until Spring Mountain gets some C8's for their Corvette Driving School, and beat one up for a day or two before deciding.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:18 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow2speed
Hmm..I believe that you are really simplifying things, It all depends on the track and the situation at hand, a track like Laguna where your corner entry into turn 11 is the same regardless of the vehicle been driven given the nature of the corner it' is impossible for a relatively low HP car to bump draft and pass a car that has a 200hp differential and can put the power down properly going into the main straight. I have had many situations where I can catch up to a car entering the corkscrew and going through the corkscrew/rainy corner combo simply because my car had better aero and less weight but it's not feasible to make a safe pass at that portion of the track without risking a serious off at high speed for both vehicles. Have to follow that car all the way to turn 11, then been blown off for about 2/3 of the track due to the HP differential just to catch up to the car at a similar portion of the track. 2 cars can have similar lap times, but where each vehicle makes time can be very different.
Then you're describing a different situation. If the two lap-times are similar, just slow down to build some distance and both enjoy your laps without any interference.

But even then a pass is possible and not that hard with some planning. Your first bold-ed section contradicts with your second. If you're not MUCH faster than him into/in/and out of the corners, then where exactly do you "make time" with your low HP car? And if you ARE much faster in the corners, then my suggestion is to time getting on his bumper with max speed differential at a spot where a pass/point-by is logical, but no sooner than that, to avoid losing momentum.

We're digressing from the subject of the thread. PM me if you want.
The following users liked this post:
2slow2speed (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 11:21 AM
2slow2speed
Pro

Will do.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:28 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Caustic
The car isn't a Miata. The car is supposed to do everything, its a GT car, its a sports car, its a "super car".

There were several sacrifices that they had to make. Size to fit bigger american frames (take that as you will!) and fit golf clubs (2 sets!) and travel bags. Price to hit the market segments that make the car accessible and grow with economies of scale. This will be a much more common car than maybe the typical Porsche/McLaren/Ferrari/etc owner might be comfortable with. Aluminum chassis and fiberglass body instead of carbon fiber to keep the overall costs down.

But the people who are questioning the size, weight, cost are missing the point. This is a mid-engine, naturally aspirated, american V8, with current tech from the suspension to the infotainment system, that pulls 1g on a skidpad in stock form, for $60k! And this is just the BASE vehicle.

I have been on the hunt to upgrade my manual 997 C4 to a turbo or an R8, but the C8 made me pause and put the brakes on that purchase. Its at such a price point that I can keep my manual 997 and have the Corvette C8 too. THAT is the game changer.
Well stated, the ability to add in addition to because of the reasonable price even at 70-80k will be a fantastic setup short of spending the same on a nearly 10 year old R8 is about as close as you get to the mid engine V8 experience. Granted you could get a old Lotus Esprit V8 for less but it most likely will spend most of its time in the garage. While I would not sell either the 6tt or 7tt for one, I could see one in the garage for sure as a different experience, hell the GF might even enjoy driving it.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:56 AM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

For $60k the base Corvette will be more car than 99.9%of us can effectively take to anywhere near its limits. That applies to a new 992 or any other performance car. That’s just the fact.

I see many of you are moving from enthusiastic to tepid. When I buy one (in a couple years for the early teething problems are worked out and discounts kick in) I’ll be happily driving one as you sit on the side line debating the C8 that could have been instead of enjoying the C8 that is.
porschedood5000 (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 12:14 PM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 246 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by TtimeS
Tremac built the DCT for GM after purchasing DCT company Hoerbiger. So this wasn’t a in house trans (thankfully).
Tremec! Thats the first piece of good news I've heard about the C8, but still taking a wait and see attitude.
Considering they bought another company to get into the DCT game. Fingers crossed they made it better.

Now what about the AFM issue? Is it still part of the package and if so, what havoc will ensue on a DCT?
Clutches switching wildly back and forth comes to the forefront of my mind.

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
I feel nicely equipped with z51 and some interior bits, c8 will typically cost $75k.
+1 And with added interior bits (beyond the LT2 and Lt3 packages) more like $85. A fully loaded Z51/LT3 + everything else was ~$93K

BTW, the Z51 is the only one that'll get you 0-60 in under 3 seconds. (which also remains to be verified by the real world).

I can't believe all the incessant parroting of the unsubstantiated marketing BS from Chevy and GM.
Lets get some reasonable, fair minded, first hand reviews of the car before going nutso.

There was a Jalopnik review, where the guy parroted a bunch of marketing BS but then reserved himself an "out" at the end.. just in case it turns out the car doesn't live up to all the hype.

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Connell Chevrolet in Costa Mesa, CA will have the new C8 Corvette at their facility August 1 and 2, 11 am until 7 pm.
Cool. maybe I go check it out! Wonder if it'll be anything like my first impression sitting in the C7 Grand Sport.. was a plastic-ey POS.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:23 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

Old 07-24-2019, 12:24 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,782 Likes on 528 Posts

Plus if history repeats, within a year Kerbeck (and everyone else) will be selling them at 10/15% below sticker, so even better value down the line.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:31 PM
Caustic
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Man, so much of Youtube is cringeworthy.
porschedood5000 (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 12:34 PM
porschedood5000
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I’ve gotta say: I find it hilarious to see criticisms of the Corvette’s weight, size, etc. compared to McLarens which are several times more expensive. We have the $60k performance car bargain of the century being nitpicked because it falls short of $300k supercars. The fact that it is even being discussed in the same sentence as these automotive legends is incredible. A $60k car should be compared to other $60k cars, e.g. the 718 Cayman.
The following 3 users liked this post by porschedood5000:
Craigy (07-30-2019), GT3FZS (08-05-2019), Vintage72 (07-25-2019)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?