Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2019 | 08:27 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

You would have to be sure of what you want the car for. If it is a mostly a track toy, I'm sure the C8 would be phenomenal. But if it is going to look anything like the rendering above, I would feel pretty foolish driving to work in it. And as much as like the torque and acceleration of my 991.2 GTS (and what I normally drive to work), it isn't the best for smaller back road twisties.

I was on a great spirited drive through a mountain gap road (Smuggler's notch) and was having a great time in my Boxster, until I got behind a Corvette (C7, or C6?) . It was huge in width and looked like a fish (or whale) out of water on that narrow road with blind hairpin turns and rock ledge jutting to the edge of the road. Perfect for a Boxster or Cayman, though.
The following users liked this post:
RobMtz (07-18-2019)
Old 07-02-2019 | 08:20 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

The new C8 will be the performance bargain of the decade once it's released and if it looks anything like the rendering, GM will steal a lot of sales from the typical "snob" brands with a car like that. Honestly, I don't get all the lip about the interiors in a Corvette. They have 3 levels of interior quality, if you want the nicer interior you will have to pay for it, just like Porsche. Go look at the interiors in some of the base Cayman's and Boxster's, not exactly screaming high end materials either and I think the base Corvette is a bit nicer. IMO the dash, door panels and seats from a base Cayman/Boxster look cheap and don't seem to be holding up well over time. My local dealer has a few used Caymans in stock with between 4k miles and 16k miles and the seats from both cars look like they have 100k miles on them. Even Base 911's that are $100k+ have somewhat cheap interiors unless you get the extended leather package. Really Porsche?

Lately I haven't been impressed with Porsche reliability either, and i'm talking about people who actually keep their cars and drive them -- not garage queens that get traded in every 2 years with 15k miles. Sure Porsche makes some great driving cars, but once that warranty is up, god help the next owner! I think Porsche is stealing a page out of BMW's playbook, where cars are designed to last to the end of the warranty period and after that will require thousands in repairs. With that being said, I think Porsches have now become "leasers" and not cars you buy -- that's probably why so many people on here get rid of them after a few years?
The following 3 users liked this post by Dan87951:
alex2364 (07-02-2019), jeanrabelais (07-04-2019), unclemat (07-03-2019)
Old 07-02-2019 | 08:33 PM
donR
Pro

Just saw this on car scoops:

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/07/20...big-unveiling/

Looks a little more subtle than the rendering above but still supercar looks. Although the GT4 with its aero and wing isn't what you would call subtle.
Old 07-02-2019 | 08:47 PM
Surge74
Racer

Originally Posted by Dan87951
The new C8 will be the performance bargain of the decade once it's released and if it looks anything like the rendering, GM will steal a lot of sales from the typical "snob" brands with a car like that. Honestly, I don't get all the lip about the interiors in a Corvette. They have 3 levels of interior quality, if you want the nicer interior you will have to pay for it, just like Porsche. Go look at the interiors in some of the base Cayman's and Boxster's, not exactly screaming high end materials either and I think the base Corvette is a bit nicer. IMO the dash, door panels and seats from a base Cayman/Boxster look cheap and don't seem to be holding up well over time. My local dealer has a few used Caymans in stock with between 4k miles and 16k miles and the seats from both cars look like they have 100k miles on them. Even Base 911's that are $100k+ have somewhat cheap interiors unless you get the extended leather package. Really Porsche?

Lately I haven't been impressed with Porsche reliability either, and i'm talking about people who actually keep their cars and drive them -- not garage queens that get traded in every 2 years with 15k miles. Sure Porsche makes some great driving cars, but once that warranty is up, god help the next owner! I think Porsche is stealing a page out of BMW's playbook, where cars are designed to last to the end of the warranty period and after that will require thousands in repairs. With that being said, I think Porsches have now become "leasers" and not cars you buy -- that's probably why so many people on here get rid of them after a few years?
Guys, the C7 is a performance bargain already. Is Corvette stealing a lot of sales from Porsche, BMW, etc? No.
The C8 won't change that.

The C8 with the Z06 or whatever they call it that gives it the max performance spec that everyone is quoting is not going to be $50k! These will be priced at $100k+, as a fully loaded C7 is today. It's not really a "bargain" at that point, although I'm sure you'll get more power:weight and on the track it will give a GT3 a run for its money.

"3 levels of interior quality" - no, not the kind of quality I'm referring to. You mean 3 levels of options in the interior. The plastic is still the same sh!tty plastic you find in a base Chevy. The turn signals, etc. are all awful compared to the Germans. That's what I'm talking about.
Look at how the screen protector is applied to the nav screen, WTF is this - they are too lazy to even get it flat without air bubbles. It's sad.
Old 07-02-2019 | 08:59 PM
Psorcery
Banned

The interior on a 991/981/718 is night and day better than any corvette interior. Even the the base standard leather interiors on these cars totally craps on anything the Corvette ever had. The fit and finish, materials, and overall build quality isn't even close. Then it just gets better with the Porsche as you pay up for full leather and other small tidbits.. Does it add up? Yeah, but as mentioned the base interior with standard leather which you get for "free" is in a total different league vs the vette.. Cramped and laggy displays in the C7.. Come on dude, not being a Porsche fanboy here but your post is reaching. Even Corvette fanboys hate their interiors.
jeanrabelais (07-04-2019)
Old 07-02-2019 | 09:08 PM
Surge74
Racer

I think the best value for the $ is a base Corvette. Once you start adding options and getting more power, you're very quickly in 911 territory.
A brand new C7 now with manual transmission is about $50k. Can't beat that.
wdr911 (07-03-2019)
Old 07-02-2019 | 09:14 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Psorcery
The interior on a 991/981/718 is night and day better than any corvette interior. Even the the base standard leather interiors on these cars totally craps on anything the Corvette ever had. The fit and finish, materials, and overall build quality isn't even close. Then it just gets better with the Porsche as you pay up for full leather and other small tidbits.. Does it add up? Yeah, but as mentioned the base interior with standard leather which you get for "free" is in a total different league vs the vette.. Cramped and laggy displays in the C7.. Come on dude, not being a Porsche fanboy here but your post is reaching. Even Corvette fanboys hate their interiors.
LOL! I'll agree to disagree. Base interiors on Porsches are no better than a Corvette. I find it borderline laughable that people think otherwise. Porsche doesn't use cheap plastic "crap" in their cars too?! lol!

Look at Porsche's track record over the last decade on engine reliability, not exactly confidence inspiring the Germans know what they are doing. This is what happens when you have accountants run the business instead of engineers. I guess you don't become the most profitable car company in the world by making quality products. IMS, scored cylinders, "D-chunk", PDK failures, 991.3 GT3 engine failures, etc. Yep, Porsche quality is the best in the world!
Old 07-02-2019 | 10:37 PM
Psorcery
Banned

LOL! I'll agree to disagree. Base interiors on Porsches are no better than a Corvette. I find it borderline laughable that people think otherwise. Porsche doesn't use cheap plastic "crap" in their cars too?! lol!

Look at Porsche's track record over the last decade on engine reliability, not exactly confidence inspiring the Germans know what they are doing. This is what happens when you have accountants run the business instead of engineers. I guess you don't become the most profitable car company in the world by making quality products. IMS, scored cylinders, "D-chunk", PDK failures, 991.3 GT3 engine failures, etc. Yep, Porsche quality is the best in the world!
All I'm talking about here is interiors.. Say what you say about whatever you want and I'm not arguing/debating.. Corvette interiors are trash, period. Yes the 991/981/718 interiors are night/day-black/white-much better than anything corvette related. It's really not even close.
Old 07-03-2019 | 09:26 AM
Chester7
Racer

My wife "gave the thumbs down" for the C7 Grand Sport as a viable sports car. Why? She got in the car, as the salesperson remarked "the car smells nice". The salesperson was trying to put a brave face on the fact that the interior REAKED of plastic and fiberglass smell. I do believe that not every C7 smells as bad as the one my wife looked at. Chevy is cheap performance. It has its place in the market, but not in my garage.
Old 07-03-2019 | 10:00 AM
Surge74
Racer

Originally Posted by Chester7
My wife "gave the thumbs down" for the C7 Grand Sport as a viable sports car. Why? She got in the car, as the salesperson remarked "the car smells nice". The salesperson was trying to put a brave face on the fact that the interior REAKED of plastic and fiberglass smell. I do believe that not every C7 smells as bad as the one my wife looked at. Chevy is cheap performance. It has its place in the market, but not in my garage.
Lol, totally agree. I had a very similar experience. I was all set to buy a C7. Brand new, manual transmission, targa top, 6.2L NA V8 and selling for low $50k CAD...!
My wife took one look at it and said “no way”.

I think a C7 or C8 makes sense when it’s this cheap. At $100k+ for a Z06 or ZR...whatever they call it, it doesn’t make sense.
Old 07-03-2019 | 11:18 AM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Ahh the Corvette fiberglass smell, I remember it vividly. My Lotus Elise smelled the same way yet I loved that damn car, should have kept it. In the most recent spy video of the C8 the car doesn't look nearly as extreme as the above picture and it sounds absolutely sensational. Could be a fun car.
Old 07-04-2019 | 10:00 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Surge74
Lol, totally agree. I had a very similar experience. I was all set to buy a C7. Brand new, manual transmission, targa top, 6.2L NA V8 and selling for low $50k CAD...!
My wife took one look at it and said “no way”.

I think a C7 or C8 makes sense when it’s this cheap. At $100k+ for a Z06 or ZR...whatever they call it, it doesn’t make sense.

You can easily buy a C7 Z06 for around $70K or for about the price of a well equipped base 718 Boxster. Several examples for your review. https://kerbeck.com/new-corvette-inventory/
I've been at Watkins Glen DEs on several occasions with Z06s, and you better be driving a $160K GT3 if you want to be able to keep up with a Z06. As far as the interior quality is concerned, I have a friend with a Z06 with the 2LZ interior package, and nearly the entire interior was covered in Napa leather which looked fine to me, but maybe my standards are lower than some other posters on this thread.
Old 07-05-2019 | 10:07 AM
grrrmonster
Racer

Corvettes are built by cost accountants. Every part in the car is produced from a lowest cost producer business model. Cheap cheap cheap. Yes they can post some good specs and numbers, but can't sustain it compared to a Porsche. Bought a new C6, first track event the rear wheels folded up under the car- couldn't hold the lateral loads and the retainers in the suspension allowed everything to slip. Summary of next 6 DE weekends: 4 failed wheel bearings. And fights with the dealer over multiple warranty claims on same problem. And to it the cheap crappy interior, Cobalt steering wheel and I resigned to the fact that corvettes are rolling furniture to the waxer crowd. Those who marvel at chrome and carbon bling bits, bull**** about statistics and worship low miles (meaning they don't drive the damn things).

Just stopped at the corvette museum two days ago, starting to entertain thoughts of the mud engined car (in development for 40 years)- and remembered why I love the German cars so much more.

Can't wait to order my Spyder
Surge74 (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019 | 10:10 AM
Surge74
Racer

Couldn't agree more. It's sad, because I'd love to own an American muscle car. They don't make them like they used to! The first gen was truly special.
Old 07-05-2019 | 06:22 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by grrrmonster
Corvettes are built by cost accountants. Every part in the car is produced from a lowest cost producer business model. Cheap cheap cheap. Yes they can post some good specs and numbers, but can't sustain it compared to a Porsche. Bought a new C6, first track event the rear wheels folded up under the car- couldn't hold the lateral loads and the retainers in the suspension allowed everything to slip. Summary of next 6 DE weekends: 4 failed wheel bearings. And fights with the dealer over multiple warranty claims on same problem. And to it the cheap crappy interior, Cobalt steering wheel and I resigned to the fact that corvettes are rolling furniture to the waxer crowd. Those who marvel at chrome and carbon bling bits, bull**** about statistics and worship low miles (meaning they don't drive the damn things).

Just stopped at the corvette museum two days ago, starting to entertain thoughts of the mud engined car (in development for 40 years)- and remembered why I love the German cars so much more.

Can't wait to order my Spyder
Have you not popped the hood on a Porsche? The engine compartment is filled with cheap crappy plastic components everywhere, most of which will fail the day after the warranty expires.

Funny, most of the Corvettes I see at the track (faster lap times too) seem to be running just fine unlike the Porsches who are usually in the pits getting "fixed". At least Chevy can build an engine that lasts, Porsche's track record over the last decade is nothing short of laughable. I like Porsches, but I am also a realist! If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a duck! Porsche's long term reliability to date is a complete joke. It's a good thing you like Porsche interiors so much, it will give you something to marvel at while you wait for the tow truck.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?