Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 09:48 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
The new Corvette is a very clean design.
I wouldn't call it clean. They went nuts with edges, protrusions, corners and details everywhere. This is why flat colors look better than metallic and dark colors look better than light - the former hide the shadows from all the edges and details better.

And there's something iffy about the proportions. They look ok from some angles, from others not so much. Reminded me of Seinfeld's "Two Face" girlfriend that looked hot under some lighting and not so hot under another:

Old 07-24-2019, 09:49 PM
bertram928
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by KOTYKB
How do you know the pricing of the wing? I thought the options list and pricing hasn't been announced?
I do not know first hand

A BMW GroupMe contact assures me that is the case, I will ask him to reveal his source

Found this on C8 forum several ago, i will check there as well
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
printbook.pdf (326.2 KB, 52 views)
Old 07-24-2019, 11:05 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Does that wing actually increase downforce? Or just for show?
Old 07-24-2019, 11:31 PM
MikeF_Vossen
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a fan! Great job GM!
The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (08-06-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 12:58 AM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I wouldn't call it clean. They went nuts with edges, protrusions, corners and details everywhere. This is why flat colors look better than metallic and dark colors look better than light - the former hide the shadows from all the edges and details better.0
I agree, I have read that many of the sharp edges are to transition more smoothly (is that a reverse pun?) from the C7 which I thought had too many sharp edges and needless angles as well. It was corporate branding from the Cadillac on down. My fave of the modern ones is the C5, it had some lovely smooth and flowing lines and a nice rear, but not Kardashian like 6-7-8 that overshadowed the rest.
The tall rear does seem to be pure Ccamaro and I guess was needed to have good trunk area which they brag about.
Im already looking forward to the re-design They only have a few ways to go with it. i see it smoothed out a little every few years with a lower trunk lid that will give it a sharper angle from the roof rearward. Maybe a separate engine and trunk lid. It has to, the only way to become sharper is if it grows horns.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:26 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
I owned a C7 and it was one of my top 2 or 3 favourite cars that I've owned. I had no issues with it and it was stupid fast on a track.

The C7 Grand Sport, with only 466HP, puts up incredible track numbers, sounds good and has pretty decent technology. Fit/finish isn't up to Porsche standards but it is not that far off... or not as far off as people think. The C8 is going to be an absolute monster with the base model coming in over 500HP. It will be a car that starts well under $100,000 (they are saying $62,000 in the US) that will instantly compete at a GT3 or better level. When the Z06/ZR1 versions come out, I bet they will be setting performance benchmarks everywhere.

Chev made progress with the C7 on areas that previous Corvettes failed in. Too much is riding on the C8 for them to not do that again and in an even more meaningful way. They now have a mid-engine platform to support this. Unless someone simply needs a Porsche, Ferrari, McLaren, Lambo badge, it will be hard to ignore the C8 or not at least look at it. I definitely will be.

Hard to say what it will really look like uncovered (people believe there is still a lot of trickery and things changed over production) but no doubt it will be a monster even in base form.

i am not overly fond about the body.
it's good. Just not great, imo.
i like hiding it in black..... come to think of it,
i like hiding it in the original camo even more. Wrap it in THAT.
Seems to soften it, or hide the flaws.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:14 AM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

The GrandSport model will be the one to look out for. Gives you all the Z06 go fast parts with a NA motor. That car will be amazing for track usage.

Lighten up the grandsport to a reasonable level and enjoy a track weapon.

besides the back end, I haven’t been this excited for a vette since the c5 was revealed.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:37 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by bertram928
The wing is a $3,700 option, no thanks
$3,700?! Are they high? Not even Porsche would charge that much (or would they). Screw that, I'd pick up an aftermarket wing for $500.

The angles all look hot except for the cheap GM rental fleet corporate rear. Unfortunate, but the rest of the package makes up for it.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:05 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I'm not sure about that, especially the highlighted part.

These cars, the C8 and Porsches (911s or GT versions) are generally aspirational purchases.

In fact, I would say that the best thing Porsche could do to stem the tide of potential customers fleeing to Chevy for the C8 is to actually raise prices of the 911 (and the GT line), which they've already done. With aspirational purchases and luxury goods in general, the higher the price the more seemingly "better" and more "precious" and "desirable" than the same thing would be if it was priced lower.

And lets be honest, the C7 GS or Z06 was an ***-kicker when it came to performance vis-a-vis price, and was generally comparable to a 911 GT3/RS in terms of performance. The C7 GS or Z06 never really made a significant dent in 911 or GT car sales.

Cuz, no one really walks out of a Porsche dealership and says, "That GT3 was great, a bit pricey, so maybe we go to the Chevy dealer and check out the Vette!" Just does not happen.
This is true, and people forget how big a splash the C7 made when it came out. Arguably it was geared to and drew in (relative to the last model) a younger crowd than the "ole fogey" Vettes of yore. However, one key difference is that the C8 is now a much more mature and serious offering being a mid engine. That bonafide exotic nature now will have it compared to Porsche more seamlessly than past Vettes. Next to the C8, the C7 looks downright juvenile. I feel like that ridiculously long hood look turned off tons of euro sports car buyers who like their engines behind their heads.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:03 AM
bertram928
Instructor

Originally Posted by K-A
$3,700?! Are they high? Not even Porsche would charge that much (or would they). Screw that, I'd pick up an aftermarket wing for $500.

The angles all look hot except for the cheap GM rental fleet corporate rear. Unfortunate, but the rest of the package makes up for it.

There is a reason for that, a fair bit of Dealer labor involved, it must have good down force in order to require extra reinforcement:

" The 2020 Stingray will not come with the required bracketing hardware installed and will require the removal of the rear fascia for installation of the High Wing Spoiler."

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2019...ette-stingray/
Old 07-25-2019, 09:09 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Typical Chevy,they used to come with no engine back in the day...
Old 07-25-2019, 09:16 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Does Chevy allow you to delete stuff and get the lightest spec?
I wonder where you can save some weight in these cars : wheels,a manual tranny would probably be lighter,no leather,the minimum amount of orange peel(LMAO),no radio etc
Old 07-25-2019, 09:20 AM
bertram928
Instructor

Here is a theory for the low base price and how GM can still make a profit:

The new vette production line must be one of the most automated to date, perhaps lights out 24/7 100% robots all geared to produce the base model only with no variation a few colors excepted then punched out at an unprecedented volume and speed.

Any deviation from base model would then be done off line, hand assembly, GM will charge you for that, word is Z51 is $ 8,000 to $ 12,000 extra.

efficiency reduces cost, complexity increases it.

I expect base model will deliver far ahead of the thousands of variations possible with options and trim levels
Old 07-25-2019, 09:33 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

I suspect GM will deliver in line with market and consumer expectations as it always does
Old 07-25-2019, 10:07 AM
gatorfast
Pro

Received 459 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by bertram928
Here is a theory for the low base price and how GM can still make a profit:

The new vette production line must be one of the most automated to date, perhaps lights out 24/7 100% robots all geared to produce the base model only with no variation a few colors excepted then punched out at an unprecedented volume and speed.

Any deviation from base model would then be done off line, hand assembly, GM will charge you for that, word is Z51 is $ 8,000 to $ 12,000 extra.

efficiency reduces cost, complexity increases it.

I expect base model will deliver far ahead of the thousands of variations possible with options and trim levels
Im sure the production line is part of it, but I would guess a lot of the profit will come from the extensive customization options now offered (right out of the Porsche handbook). There are a ton of exterior and interior add-ons available, all with a price of course. I would imagine once people starting adding all of the cool carbon bits and interior color schemes you will hit $15-20k in options. Thats where the margin is.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?