Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2023, 11:38 AM
Farrell
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wonderdan
I assume you mean exotics racing? I’m there a decent amount with customers, I would say that they don’t really have a car that resembles a 997. I think the closest thing might be the 991.1 GT3RS, imo try and do 20 lap package and don’t change cars. I’d do one of the exotics (cars with no practicality) if I was just messing around instead of a 992. If your genuinely interested in a 992 go to one of the Porsche experience centers, way more bang for your buck.
yes, thats exactly what im talking about. i know unfortunately i haven’t been able to find anywhere i can rent a 997 gt3. but i do appreciate the feedback of the 20 lap package. i was planing to drive the RS as i have heard it has a more visceral experience but obviously it will have a pdk and not a manual. Many have said he 997 is much smaller feeling than the 991
Old 11-23-2023, 11:40 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,099 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Originally Posted by Farrell
ok cool, yeah ive driven stiffer clutches on old cars ive had in the past and i tend to agree, seems like a pain at first but you get used to it quick. do you feel there is much of a difference in ride quality from a 997.1 to a 7.2? also did you do a gt3 rs flywheel in the 997? i hear many owners opt for that upgrade once they replace the clutch?
I haven't ridden in a 997.2 GT3, so I cannot comment on ride quality difference between 7.1 and 7.2. I wouldn't expect there to be a large difference, but someone can correct me that has experience in each. I think your best bet would be a DSC sport controller for any 997 that you choose or upgrade the struts at some point. If you want a 997 but want better ride quality, that is probably what I would do.

My 997 has the stock dual mass flywheel. My friend and another individual I know both had the 4.0 LWFW in their 7.1 GT3's and were very happy with it. I still have plenty of clutch life on mine but when I eventually need to replace the clutch I will consider doing the full 4.0 package on my car. However, I do appreciate how easy the dual mass flywheel is to use in my car. If you were doing the LWFW in a .2, I'd probably recommend either the Dundon Harmonic Dampener or using one of the methods to permanently secure the camshaft actuator bolts. Don't really want to get into the debate on whether or not that is necessary to do, but on my car, since I'm a bit of a nut about reliability, I'd want it done to know that I'm not going to have the camshaft actuator bolts backing out.

Sometimes I think that I want to change something about my car, such as the LWFW, but then I realize how much I like my car now and that with almost any upgrade there is some compromise. For instance, a car without a LWFW may be a bit easier to drive than one with it. Eventually I'll try and drive one with a LWFW so that I know if it's an upgrade I want to consider doing in the future.
Old 11-23-2023, 11:50 AM
GlenGT3
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 155 Posts

a lot of people say the 997 is more visceral similar to the older aircooled cars, is that something you would say is true? whereas the newer 991's are more modern and do everything so well its doesn't feel like as much work? im going to have to find some 997s local-ish to go on a test drive.
yes, that pretty much summed up my feelings. The most obvious difference was steering and size. In my 997, I feel like the steering wheel is alive and always communicating something. In the 991, it was numb by comparison. The overall car felt much bigger and less connected. The auto rev match in sport plus made the shifting more video game like in that it was always perfect and no skill was required. Maybe some would like that. I didn’t.
Old 11-23-2023, 12:35 PM
Farrell
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I haven't ridden in a 997.2 GT3, so I cannot comment on ride quality difference between 7.1 and 7.2. I wouldn't expect there to be a large difference, but someone can correct me that has experience in each. I think your best bet would be a DSC sport controller for any 997 that you choose or upgrade the struts at some point. If you want a 997 but want better ride quality, that is probably what I would do.

My 997 has the stock dual mass flywheel. My friend and another individual I know both had the 4.0 LWFW in their 7.1 GT3's and were very happy with it. I still have plenty of clutch life on mine but when I eventually need to replace the clutch I will consider doing the full 4.0 package on my car. However, I do appreciate how easy the dual mass flywheel is to use in my car. If you were doing the LWFW in a .2, I'd probably recommend either the Dundon Harmonic Dampener or using one of the methods to permanently secure the camshaft actuator bolts. Don't really want to get into the debate on whether or not that is necessary to do, but on my car, since I'm a bit of a nut about reliability, I'd want it done to know that I'm not going to have the camshaft actuator bolts backing out.

Sometimes I think that I want to change something about my car, such as the LWFW, but then I realize how much I like my car now and that with almost any upgrade there is some compromise. For instance, a car without a LWFW may be a bit easier to drive than one with it. Eventually I'll try and drive one with a LWFW so that I know if it's an upgrade I want to consider doing in the future.
you're not wrong. there is always a compromise with any upgrade you do add to the car. "better" is such a subjective statement. i do appreciate the knowledge you're passing along and your experience with your 997 GT3. i think the 997 has the looks i like, the smaller size which, is more similar to the aircooled cars and it has just enough of the modernness to it with the upgradeable PCM and carplay. as long as i can do hands free calls im happy lol.

Originally Posted by GlenGT3
yes, that pretty much summed up my feelings. The most obvious difference was steering and size. In my 997, I feel like the steering wheel is alive and always communicating something. In the 991, it was numb by comparison. The overall car felt much bigger and less connected. The auto rev match in sport plus made the shifting more video game like in that it was always perfect and no skill was required. Maybe some would like that. I didn’t.
well, only one thing left to do. find a 997 to try and drive and a 991 LOL. i imagine the 991 will be too similar to my RS6 which is so easy to drive. i appreciate the driving experience in the older air cooled cars but wanted more performance.
Old 11-23-2023, 12:52 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 612 Posts

ok cool, yeah ive driven stiffer clutches on old cars ive had in the past and i tend to agree, seems like a pain at first but you get used to it quick. do you feel there is much of a difference in ride quality from a 997.1 to a 7.2? also did you do a gt3 rs flywheel in the 997? i hear many owners opt for that upgrade once they replace the clutch?
My 997.2 w/all options, including DSC was just a different experience then my RS w/4.0 components + numeric etc, everything from the smell of leather to the 18-way buckets, no cage, LED kick panel etc, it was a better car for “every occasion”.

For a weekend car buckets and ceramics have turned into vanity options, where as things like dynamic lights are pretty useful in canyons. I’m convinced they will save me from a deer someday.

However if you track at all you quickly realize buckets are required for core fatigue (arms and legs holding you up) while comfortable for some, not so much for others (my wife).

The LWFW made me feel like a better driver, heal toe is easier, but again, it rattles at idle and it makes it much easier to tag the DME

PCCB have a rotational mass equivalent to a more than 150lbs person (takes a lot of carbon bits to get to those kinda numbers) so while that sounds “cool” most of us take them off at the track which makes them moot. So I chose PCCB on my first 997 for vanity and color and on my second 997 for cleaning, resell and canyons feel (yes I’m convinced I can tell).

I can’t comment on the DSC because I had that ordered and installed day one on both cars, no idea what it’s like without it.

A base 997 GT3 with a few bolt ons is amazing and the exhaust is the cheapest way to turn this 9 into a 10, all the other stuff we do to it incremental at best. But again you can go overboard on that also as I did with the Dundon D4, because it’s awesome haha

Last edited by Wonderdan; 11-23-2023 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-23-2023, 01:08 PM
pcar1
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 23 Posts

@flipwils11 as cliche as it sounds, it truly will exceed your every expectation. what a car. stay in the hunt!
The following users liked this post:
flipwils11 (11-23-2023)
Old 11-23-2023, 01:32 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,099 Likes on 2,119 Posts

a lot of people say the 997 is more visceral similar to the older aircooled cars, is that something you would say is true? whereas the newer 991's are more modern and do everything so well its doesn't feel like as much work? im going to have to find some 997s local-ish to go on a test drive.
The 997's definitely feel like more work compared to the 991. Can't compare super accurately to air cooled cars as I don't have enough experience with them.

yes, thats exactly what im talking about. i know unfortunately i haven’t been able to find anywhere i can rent a 997 gt3. but i do appreciate the feedback of the 20 lap package. i was planing to drive the RS as i have heard it has a more visceral experience but obviously it will have a pdk and not a manual. Many have said he 997 is much smaller feeling than the 991
I haven't seen any rental 997 GT3's, but I bet you'll be able to find a member locally to give you a ride. I've even seen members on here offer up a drive to others on the forums. Granted, you may have to travel, but I'd be willing to before making a purchase as expensive as this.

There is a size difference when it comes to how it feels when placing it on the road. A friend of mine and I swapped 997 and his 992 for a drive. That was one of the things we both said, 997 you can drive in the lane and it's easier to place. You can actually make a line within the lane.

you're not wrong. there is always a compromise with any upgrade you do add to the car. "better" is such a subjective statement. i do appreciate the knowledge you're passing along and your experience with your 997 GT3. i think the 997 has the looks i like, the smaller size which, is more similar to the aircooled cars and it has just enough of the modernness to it with the upgradeable PCM and carplay. as long as i can do hands free calls im happy lol.

well, only one thing left to do. find a 997 to try and drive and a 991 LOL. i imagine the 991 will be too similar to my RS6 which is so easy to drive. i appreciate the driving experience in the older air cooled cars but wanted more performance.
Yes, you will have no issues making hands free calls. The 997 PCCM+ is the same user interface that you'd find in a 991.2 GT3. 991 GT3 should be doable to find one to drive at a dealer, possibly. But luckily even renting a PDK one will give you a good idea of the overall feel. The 992 GT3 does feel different than the 991 GT3 in terms of steering feel. 992 GT3 has such amazing steering feel, it is incredibly connected. If you want more power after you get it, Dundon makes amazing bolt on kits for considerably more power out of an NA motor.
Old 11-23-2023, 04:00 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 667 Posts

Aqua blue 997.2 with 7k miles listed for $260k. Nicely optioned but missing PCCBs.

https://www.brooklynautoonline.com/v...sland-NY-10310

http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/29B86820.

WP0AC2A97BS783474
Holy Moly!!!
Old 11-23-2023, 04:29 PM
heymikey
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
The member purchased the white one, which I was drooling over, which was then sold on BAT about 6 months later. He then purchased the Black one from Champion and a few weeks later, traded it in on the Orange car, which was Porsche of Orlando's, "Porsche Restoration Challenge" car. Didn't win but was an entry from what I understand. I'm going to assume it's a clean car.

I stated, "Had he asked to trade his white car for my orange car, it just might have happened". I would have liked that opportunity. I don't hate my orange car, I just love the white as I love to modify my cars and white is the easiest palette to work with. Can't do much with an orange car. I'm trying though.
I remember Porsche Orlando had the pumpkin listed for 320 back in Sept. Then recently dropped the price to 250 and it sold immediately last week. The price drop seems strange especially after all the work completed for the Porsche Restoration Challenge.

Car Gurus sent an email regarding the price decrease and on their ad mentioned issues with the frame, not sure if that is accurate or a type-o.
Red9114me (11-23-2023)
Old 11-23-2023, 05:03 PM
Chris.C
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 31 Posts

My RS arrived! Literally a dream come true. Thank you to my fellow Rennlisters in this thread for helping me find the right one.

This is the first 997 I’ve ever driven. I’ve only ever driven a few 911s which were the 991.2 S and 992 S which I wasn’t impressed by but this one is truly special. I’ve read and watched probably every review of the 997 GT3RS since it first arrived in 2007 and it’s certainly more than delivered on my expectations.

Coming from a 981 GT4 this thing is a completely different animal. So much more raw and visceral of an experience. Although the GT4 was an amazing car, the Mezger engine was exactly what I felt was missing in it. First time I’ve experienced a LWFW too. The chatter can get pretty loud but boy is it worth it. Really adds to the experience and character of the car. Picks up revs insanely quickly. Never letting this one go that’s for sure.

The following 23 users liked this post by Chris.C:
daddyscar (11-24-2023), Elliotw44 (11-23-2023), flipwils11 (11-23-2023), heymikey (11-23-2023), HpIzKing (11-23-2023), jdmgt3 (11-24-2023), Joe Cho (11-23-2023), Joe mac (11-23-2023), jreifler (11-23-2023), ljmartyre (11-23-2023), Medicopter (11-23-2023), mikes70 (11-23-2023), monk46 (11-27-2023), pcar1 (11-24-2023), pirahna (11-23-2023), pputkowski (11-23-2023), RallyBird (11-24-2023), RapidGT (11-23-2023), RAudi Driver (11-24-2023), SR20Fastback (11-23-2023), SupraSaiyan (11-23-2023), Vocan (11-23-2023), Wonderdan (11-24-2023) and 18 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-23-2023, 05:54 PM
650kid
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 65 Posts

Congrats brother use it well. She’s beautiful.
The following 2 users liked this post by 650kid:
Chris.C (11-23-2023), SupraSaiyan (11-23-2023)
Old 11-23-2023, 07:33 PM
Farrell
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wonderdan
My 997.2 w/all options, including DSC was just a different experience then my RS w/4.0 components + numeric etc, everything from the smell of leather to the 18-way buckets, no cage, LED kick panel etc, it was a better car for “every occasion”.

For a weekend car buckets and ceramics have turned into vanity options, where as things like dynamic lights are pretty useful in canyons. I’m convinced they will save me from a deer someday.

However if you track at all you quickly realize buckets are required for core fatigue (arms and legs holding you up) while comfortable for some, not so much for others (my wife).

The LWFW made me feel like a better driver, heal toe is easier, but again, it rattles at idle and it makes it much easier to tag the DME

PCCB have a rotational mass equivalent to a more than 150lbs person (takes a lot of carbon bits to get to those kinda numbers) so while that sounds “cool” most of us take them off at the track which makes them moot. So I chose PCCB on my first 997 for vanity and color and on my second 997 for cleaning, resell and canyons feel (yes I’m convinced I can tell).

I can’t comment on the DSC because I had that ordered and installed day one on both cars, no idea what it’s like without it.

A base 997 GT3 with a few bolt ons is amazing and the exhaust is the cheapest way to turn this 9 into a 10, all the other stuff we do to it incremental at best. But again you can go overboard on that also as I did with the Dundon D4, because it’s awesome haha
i didnt realize you can get dynamic lights with these cars. they are so crucial to have even where im located. lots of dear out by my house. ive looked at the dundon d4 kits. does it give you 70whp like others have stated? regardless does the car feel a lot quicker with the d4 package? i did hear it can be quite loud but you can get a quiet version too?

LWFW seems like something i would enjoy. always like the fast revving cars and ive installed them on cars when i was younger.
Old 11-23-2023, 07:37 PM
Farrell
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bxstr
The 997's definitely feel like more work compared to the 991. Can't compare super accurately to air cooled cars as I don't have enough experience with them.

I haven't seen any rental 997 GT3's, but I bet you'll be able to find a member locally to give you a ride. I've even seen members on here offer up a drive to others on the forums. Granted, you may have to travel, but I'd be willing to before making a purchase as expensive as this.

There is a size difference when it comes to how it feels when placing it on the road. A friend of mine and I swapped 997 and his 992 for a drive. That was one of the things we both said, 997 you can drive in the lane and it's easier to place. You can actually make a line within the lane.

Yes, you will have no issues making hands free calls. The 997 PCCM+ is the same user interface that you'd find in a 991.2 GT3. 991 GT3 should be doable to find one to drive at a dealer, possibly. But luckily even renting a PDK one will give you a good idea of the overall feel. The 992 GT3 does feel different than the 991 GT3 in terms of steering feel. 992 GT3 has such amazing steering feel, it is incredibly connected. If you want more power after you get it, Dundon makes amazing bolt on kits for considerably more power out of an NA motor.
im heading down to south Florida in January and Naples has a few cool cars and coffees that some sweet cars show up too. last year i saw a CGT and the guy was out revving it a few times. car sounded insane!

definitely looking at the dundon equipment. is the d4 package what most get from it? that intake manifold seems like it would add some power. if the PCCM+ is the same as the 991.2 that is great. has me leaning to the 997 more and more. there are a few 991.2s at the dealers down there.
Old 11-23-2023, 07:50 PM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 137 Posts

im heading down to south Florida in January and Naples has a few cool cars and coffees that some sweet cars show up too. last year i saw a CGT and the guy was out revving it a few times. car sounded insane!

definitely looking at the dundon equipment. is the d4 package what most get from it? that intake manifold seems like it would add some power. if the PCCM+ is the same as the 991.2 that is great. has me leaning to the 997 more and more. there are a few 991.2s at the dealers down there.
The d4 package is the complete kit, yes. Some have just their exhaust setup without the intake bits.

Keep in mind that pccm currently only exists for the 997.1. If they release a .2 version (I imagine they will), it’s probably at least a year or two away but who knows.
Red9114me (11-23-2023)
Old 11-23-2023, 09:09 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris.C
My RS arrived! Literally a dream come true. Thank you to my fellow Rennlisters in this thread for helping me find the right one.

This is the first 997 I’ve ever driven. I’ve only ever driven a few 911s which were the 991.2 S and 992 S which I wasn’t impressed by but this one is truly special. I’ve read and watched probably every review of the 997 GT3RS since it first arrived in 2007 and it’s certainly more than delivered on my expectations.

Coming from a 981 GT4 this thing is a completely different animal. So much more raw and visceral of an experience. Although the GT4 was an amazing car, the Mezger engine was exactly what I felt was missing in it. First time I’ve experienced a LWFW too. The chatter can get pretty loud but boy is it worth it. Really adds to the experience and character of the car. Picks up revs insanely quickly. Never letting this one go that’s for sure.

congrats. she's a beauty

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...