Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2023, 08:42 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Farrell
gotcha. just with some of the prices ive seen on recent cars asking 150-170k with no buckets but then seeing some of these auctions below that went through BaT. just showing these two examples and see some other examples of 997.2 gt3 around the 150-160k mark with lower miles and no buckets. just curious what a 50k mile gt3 is worth with no buckets? i saw the most recent one on BaT that sold for 139K w/ 50k miles but that seems high, however i dont know if the market just jumped up over the summer?

​​​​​​https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...omments-anchor
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...911-gt3-997-2/

If it helps at all, I just bought one with 44k miles, full leather, no pccbs and no buckets for 164. I probably paid up some because it was a very close spec to exactly what I wanted. Sad to see that 50k mile one only get to 144 with the premium on BaT the other day, but at the end of the day I’m extremely happy with my new car.
The following 3 users liked this post by SR20Fastback:
GlenGT3 (11-22-2023), pcar1 (11-23-2023), Robocop305 (11-23-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 09:07 PM
GlenGT3
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 155 Posts

Aqua blue 997.2 with 7k miles listed for $260k. Nicely optioned but missing PCCBs.

https://www.brooklynautoonline.com/vdp/20676890/Used-2011-Porsche-911-GT3-for-sale-in-Staten-Island-NY-10310

http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/29B86820.

WP0AC2A97BS783474

Last edited by GlenGT3; 11-22-2023 at 09:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Red9114me (11-22-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 11:32 PM
SiNzz
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by flipwils11
Thanks for posting your story and experience. I'm the same, have never sat in any GT3 let alone a 997, but I remember when the 997's were new and I fell in love with the shape. It still has that gotta have it factor for me and your post helps keep me stay focused on the prize! (a 997.2 GT3 for me).
It's worth the work/wait. I was a newly-minted university student when the 997.1 came out. Got the chance to drive one for five minutes and I vowed to one day own one. Just picked one up 10 days ago and driving it brought me right back to that first moment 15 years ago. 997 GT3/RS are very special cars.

Last edited by SiNzz; 11-23-2023 at 01:06 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by SiNzz:
eXpensiveGears (12-01-2023), flipwils11 (11-23-2023), jumpman2323 (11-24-2023), pcar1 (11-23-2023), Porsche cowboy (11-23-2023), Robocop305 (11-23-2023), SR20Fastback (11-22-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-23-2023, 05:21 AM
ljmartyre
Rennlist Member

Received 581 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by SR20Fastback
If it helps at all, I just bought one with 44k miles, full leather, no pccbs and no buckets for 164. I probably paid up some because it was a very close spec to exactly what I wanted. Sad to see that 50k mile one only get to 144 with the premium on BaT the other day, but at the end of the day I’m extremely happy with my new car.
I’m not sure why it’s overlooked currently, but it’s definitely been discussed here before. Black cars notoriously sell for less.
That’s across the majority of enthusiast cars, not just 997s.

The 50k mile car on BAT? Black on black
The one sitting on the marketplace? Black
The .1 on E88s that was for sale for a while? Black.

@lawrence1 do you think the .2 you picked up not too long ago was the right price for you because the black/black? I know you were waiting it out for the right deal and was happy to see you finally pick one up.

I feel like this is objective. But then again my feelings aren’t facts. Just pointing out what I’ve noticed with any M3 variant, other GT cars, etc.
GlenGT3 (11-23-2023)
Old 11-23-2023, 10:09 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,099 Likes on 2,119 Posts

what is a 997.2 gt3 with 20k-30k worth these days?
$175k +/- a few dollars in either direction seems pretty fair. Condition and options will affect that too. If you can find one with excellent paint and recent service history I'd be paying up another $5k for that. So many people buy cars, do the absolute minimum servicing, if any, required and then move into something else a few years later. Do that for enough time and owners and you're going to end up with a car that needs a lot of servicing at some point. This is an overlooked point. PCCB's are going to add some value, let's call it $5k and buckets will probably add $5k. Yes, buckets go for $15k out of the car, but in the car isn't going to be a $15k swing, I don't think. Also to the people discussing color, it definitely seems to affect value. I mean lets take M3's as mentioned, a Laguna Seca blue or Interlagos E46 M3 vs a silver E46 M3, those are going to have different values attached to them.
jumpman2323 (11-24-2023)
Old 11-23-2023, 10:38 AM
Farrell
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
$175k +/- a few dollars in either direction seems pretty fair. Condition and options will affect that too. If you can find one with excellent paint and recent service history I'd be paying up another $5k for that. So many people buy cars, do the absolute minimum servicing, if any, required and then move into something else a few years later. Do that for enough time and owners and you're going to end up with a car that needs a lot of servicing at some point. This is an overlooked point. PCCB's are going to add some value, let's call it $5k and buckets will probably add $5k. Yes, buckets go for $15k out of the car, but in the car isn't going to be a $15k swing, I don't think. Also to the people discussing color, it definitely seems to affect value. I mean lets take M3's as mentioned, a Laguna Seca blue or Interlagos E46 M3 vs a silver E46 M3, those are going to have different values attached to them.
that makes sense to me. thats partially i think what makes me nervous on the 997.2 GT3 is that depending on how many owners the car had its hard to know how well the car was serviced. not to mention these cars are almost 15 years old, so they will have more maintenance than newer cars of course. at $175k its getting close to 991.2 manual territory. im looking for a gt3 to be a weekend car/ fun car. and the delta between a 991.2 and a 997.2 isn't far anymore. also, if im gonna pay 175k i want bucket seats which, seem harder to find than a 991.2. ive read on here a lot that many say the 997.2 owners say that the the car is more visceral but the 991.2 is more comfortable and easier to drive with not as heavy as a clutch. i know the 997.2 is much rarer compared to the 991.2 so it may increase in price more however, i don't look at these cars as an investment. i know plenty of investments that with net a much better ROI than these cars LOL.
Old 11-23-2023, 10:52 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

that makes sense to me. thats partially i think what makes me nervous on the 997.2 GT3 is that depending on how many owners the car had its hard to know how well the car was serviced. not to mention these cars are almost 15 years old, so they will have more maintenance than newer cars of course. at $175k its getting close to 991.2 manual territory. im looking for a gt3 to be a weekend car/ fun car. and the delta between a 991.2 and a 997.2 isn't far anymore. also, if im gonna pay 175k i want bucket seats which, seem harder to find than a 991.2. ive read on here a lot that many say the 997.2 owners say that the the car is more visceral but the 991.2 is more comfortable and easier to drive with not as heavy as a clutch. i know the 997.2 is much rarer compared to the 991.2 so it may increase in price more however, i don't look at these cars as an investment. i know plenty of investments that with net a much better ROI than these cars LOL.
Yes, I don't buy cars for financial investment. An S&P fund is a bit better of a place to park money. But certainly a good long term hold of value while also being able to get some enjoyment, which is what I think many members are looking for.

Regarding the number of owners, it's hard to directly correlate servicing to owners, but I totally understand what you're getting after. There's guys that keep cars for five years and just don't service them. Then there's guys that buy cars for a year, send it to their local dealer, catch it all up on service and then a year later decide to try something else. But as I mentioned, there's also the guys trying to get in and out of cars quickly to experience them also while not servicing. Now we also have to ask how much servicing do these cars need if they're being driven on the street. Like is anything more than oil and brake fluid actually needed? Probably not. For me, I enjoy servicing my car and knowing I'm keeping it up to date on service and what it needs.

I've driven 997.1 GT3's, a 991.2 GT3 and 992 GT3. They all have their pros and cons and I don't think you're going to go wrong with any of them. I really prefer the 997 for how I use the car, but if I wanted to load 5k+ miles/yr on it, I would probably be going for a 991.2 or 992 GT3. Many on here that load miles on their 997 GT3's will disagree with me but I think the 997 GT3 is the sweet spot for a true weekend car that sees sub 5k miles per year. But for a car seeing 5k miles per year or more I'd probably consider something a bit newer. But the sense of occasion that you're getting in a 997 GT3 is amazing.

Also regarding your bucket seat comment, ask yourself why you want them. Personally I think the buckets in the 991.2, which are the fixed back buckets are way better and sit lower than the GT2 folding buckets found in the 997s. That is personal taste. If you want them for looks, I totally get that. If you want them because they hold you in better, the stock sport seats, especially since they have alcantara, will hold you in plenty well. Now I do think there is a sense of occasion about getting into the buckets that you just don't get in the sport seats.
prl (11-24-2023)
Old 11-23-2023, 11:04 AM
Farrell
Intermediate

Yes, I don't buy cars for financial investment. An S&P fund is a bit better of a place to park money. But certainly a good long term hold of value while also being able to get some enjoyment, which is what I think many members are looking for.

Regarding the number of owners, it's hard to directly correlate servicing to owners, but I totally understand what you're getting after. There's guys that keep cars for five years and just don't service them. Then there's guys that buy cars for a year, send it to their local dealer, catch it all up on service and then a year later decide to try something else. But as I mentioned, there's also the guys trying to get in and out of cars quickly to experience them also while not servicing. Now we also have to ask how much servicing do these cars need if they're being driven on the street. Like is anything more than oil and brake fluid actually needed? Probably not. For me, I enjoy servicing my car and knowing I'm keeping it up to date on service and what it needs.

I've driven 997.1 GT3's, a 991.2 GT3 and 992 GT3. They all have their pros and cons and I don't think you're going to go wrong with any of them. I really prefer the 997 for how I use the car, but if I wanted to load 5k+ miles/yr on it, I would probably be going for a 991.2 or 992 GT3. Many on here that load miles on their 997 GT3's will disagree with me but I think the 997 GT3 is the sweet spot for a true weekend car that sees sub 5k miles per year. But for a car seeing 5k miles per year or more I'd probably consider something a bit newer. But the sense of occasion that you're getting in a 997 GT3 is amazing.

Also regarding your bucket seat comment, ask yourself why you want them. Personally I think the buckets in the 991.2, which are the fixed back buckets are way better and sit lower than the GT2 folding buckets found in the 997s. That is personal taste. If you want them for looks, I totally get that. If you want them because they hold you in better, the stock sport seats, especially since they have alcantara, will hold you in plenty well. Now I do think there is a sense of occasion about getting into the buckets that you just don't get in the sport seats.
Excellent feedback. I drive a c8 RS6 with an APR stage 1 tune as my daily driver. the sport seats in the 997 GT3 im sure hold you in great and but really wanted the buckets as a sense of occasion. thats mainly why i want a manual back in my life. the RS6 is a phenomenal daily. i can put my family in the car, make all the calls i need for work but at a blink of an eye take off pass almost any car on the road. i think maybe thats why the 991.2 has my eye especially with the price delta, i can drive it around for work but still have plenty of fun. however, with the 997.2 it appears they have a much better infotainment than the 997.1 which can be modified for apple car play.

the only other thing is i live in Michigan and our roads are HORRIBLE. i had several aircooled 911s and i felt like i was doing such a disservice to them by driving them on the rough roads of Michigan. pots holes here are worse then most third world countries. how tight is the clutch in the 997 gt3 compared to a 991.2? is something my wife can drive (she grew up driving a manual)?

im heading to vegas in a few weeks and am going to sign up to drive a gt3RS for the fun of it but also a 991 gt3. all of their cars are pdk which is fine, not my first preference but at least gives me some seat time as i have never even sat in a gt3.
Old 11-23-2023, 11:05 AM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 137 Posts

If $175k is getting too close to 991.2 prices for you, any reason why you aren’t also looking at 997.1s? They offer a very similar experience for a somewhat lower entry point.
Old 11-23-2023, 11:26 AM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 612 Posts

im heading to vegas in a few weeks and am going to sign up to drive a gt3RS for the fun of it but also a 991 gt3. all of their cars are pdk which is fine, not my first preference but at least gives me some seat time as i have never even sat in a gt3.
I assume you mean exotics racing? I’m there a decent amount with customers, I would say that they don’t really have a car that resembles a 997. I think the closest thing might be the 991.1 GT3RS, imo try and do 20 lap package and don’t change cars. I’d do one of the exotics (cars with no practicality) if I was just messing around instead of a 992. If your genuinely interested in a 992 go to one of the Porsche experience centers, way more bang for your buck.

Old 11-23-2023, 11:27 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Excellent feedback. I drive a c8 RS6 with an APR stage 1 tune as my daily driver. the sport seats in the 997 GT3 im sure hold you in great and but really wanted the buckets as a sense of occasion. thats mainly why i want a manual back in my life. the RS6 is a phenomenal daily. i can put my family in the car, make all the calls i need for work but at a blink of an eye take off pass almost any car on the road. i think maybe thats why the 991.2 has my eye especially with the price delta, i can drive it around for work but still have plenty of fun. however, with the 997.2 it appears they have a much better infotainment than the 997.1 which can be modified for apple car play.

the only other thing is i live in Michigan and our roads are HORRIBLE. i had several aircooled 911s and i felt like i was doing such a disservice to them by driving them on the rough roads of Michigan. pots holes here are worse then most third world countries. how tight is the clutch in the 997 gt3 compared to a 991.2? is something my wife can drive (she grew up driving a manual)?

With the 997.1, you can get the PCCM+ head unit. It is a factory upgrade from Porsche. Looks like it came with the car from new. I installed it in my car this spring and it is amazing. It comes with CarPlay.

I live in Ohio and our roads are far from good. The 997 GT3 ride quality is certainly not the most compliant, but I think for a weekend car it is fine. Some members have installed the DSC module which makes the ride better. The majority of the roads that I drive on are smooth backroads though, so I'm not typically dealing with city traffic and potholes.

The 997 GT3 clutch is much heavier than the 991.2 clutch. However, once you get used to it, your wife should be fine with it. You get more feel and I think it's very easy to modulate. I actually had a hard time with the 992 GT3 clutch (not 991.2 GT3). The flywheel is super light and I actually stalled it 2x. Once I got used to it, I was fine, but the 997 I think is easier to drive when it comes to the clutch. Once you start using the clutch you'll forget about it after 30 mins and I don't think you'll notice it once you have the car out a few times.

I will say that I'd highly recommend at least getting a ride in a 997 GT3. My first experience with a GT3 was in the passenger seat of a 997 and it was my favorite car I had been in at the time. When I then got the opportunity to drive one it was my favorite car to drive and the passenger and driver experience were very similar. I think you can get a good idea of a car even from just riding in one.
Old 11-23-2023, 11:28 AM
Farrell
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vocan
If $175k is getting too close to 991.2 prices for you, any reason why you aren’t also looking at 997.1s? They offer a very similar experience for a somewhat lower entry point.
yes, im a diva LOL. i dislike the rear wing on the 997.1. i also really like the front bumper aero package on the 997.2 as well as the wheels that come with the 997.2. the interior of the 997.2 is also nicer in my opinion. so, i think if i was to change any of that on the 997.1 im going to spend some serious money. wheels alone are 5k. so, i may as well just spend the difference for a 997.2 or a 991.2.

im looking for a black car too to match my rs6 which, seem to be the cheaper of the GT cars.
Old 11-23-2023, 11:28 AM
GlenGT3
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 155 Posts

last year I drove my 7.2 to the local dealer to trade it for a nice 991.2 they had with an insane spec. It was basically an even swap dollar wise. I drove the 991.2, then drove home in my 7.2. There was simply no question in my mind about which was the more fun car. The only way I could do the 991 would be if it was my daily. Its definitely more refined. However, as far as fun and engagement, it just didn’t come close to the 997. Each car has its good and bad. Make sure you drive them both and decide which is best for how you intend to use it. For weekend blasts, the 997 is unquestionably the way to go. For daily use, I’d probably take the more comfortable 991. Newer is not better. Its different.
The following 2 users liked this post by GlenGT3:
prl (11-24-2023), RallyBird (11-24-2023)
Old 11-23-2023, 11:31 AM
Farrell
Intermediate

With the 997.1, you can get the PCCM+ head unit. It is a factory upgrade from Porsche. Looks like it came with the car from new. I installed it in my car this spring and it is amazing. It comes with CarPlay.

I live in Ohio and our roads are far from good. The 997 GT3 ride quality is certainly not the most compliant, but I think for a weekend car it is fine. Some members have installed the DSC module which makes the ride better. The majority of the roads that I drive on are smooth backroads though, so I'm not typically dealing with city traffic and potholes.

The 997 GT3 clutch is much heavier than the 991.2 clutch. However, once you get used to it, your wife should be fine with it. You get more feel and I think it's very easy to modulate. I actually had a hard time with the 992 GT3 clutch (not 991.2 GT3). The flywheel is super light and I actually stalled it 2x. Once I got used to it, I was fine, but the 997 I think is easier to drive when it comes to the clutch. Once you start using the clutch you'll forget about it after 30 mins and I don't think you'll notice it once you have the car out a few times.

I will say that I'd highly recommend at least getting a ride in a 997 GT3. My first experience with a GT3 was in the passenger seat of a 997 and it was my favorite car I had been in at the time. When I then got the opportunity to drive one it was my favorite car to drive and the passenger and driver experience were very similar. I think you can get a good idea of a car even from just riding in one.

ok cool, yeah ive driven stiffer clutches on old cars ive had in the past and i tend to agree, seems like a pain at first but you get used to it quick. do you feel there is much of a difference in ride quality from a 997.1 to a 7.2? also did you do a gt3 rs flywheel in the 997? i hear many owners opt for that upgrade once they replace the clutch?
Old 11-23-2023, 11:34 AM
Farrell
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GlenGT3
last year I drove my 7.2 to the local dealer to trade it for a nice 991.2 they had with an insane spec. It was basically an even swap dollar wise. I drove the 991.2, then drove home in my 7.2. There was simply no question in my mind about which was the more fun car. The only way I could do the 991 would be if it was my daily. Its definitely more refined. However, as far as fun and engagement, it just didn’t come close to the 997. Each car has its good and bad. Make sure you drive them both and decide which is best for how you intend to use it. For weekend blasts, the 997 is unquestionably the way to go. For daily use, I’d probably take the more comfortable 991. Newer is not better. Its different.
a lot of people say the 997 is more visceral similar to the older aircooled cars, is that something you would say is true? whereas the newer 991's are more modern and do everything so well its doesn't feel like as much work? im going to have to find some 997s local-ish to go on a test drive.

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...