Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2023, 03:03 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 567 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by maxw
Based on some testing I just did - I think one can get by without a line level converter with the PCCM+ feeding an external aftermarket amp. I'm testing on non-Bose here same as yours. I measured the voltage of the speaker wire outputs from the PCCM+ and voltage was moving around from .2v to 1.2v at a peak (playing music at high volume with speakers disconnected). The amp I tested with has an input sensitivity of 5v max and all worked fine.
It occured to me from your post that that the amp chip/circuitry for the pccm+ is that of the the typical chinese android radios... ie low voltage amp chip.

The line level converter / resistance harness will only be needed for the real oem radios only (and some HQ aftermarket decks) - as they output true 4-5v (HQ) audio.... but the Chinese android stuff (including all of the various porsche pccm+'s) for the most part are and will still use the typical Chinese android radio chip-set approaches.

Last edited by myw; 03-13-2023 at 05:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
maxw (03-13-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 05:16 PM
thescratt
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Apologies if this has already been asked. I looked around and could not find any mention of this.
Does anyone know if you have a steering wheel without media buttons and you upgrade to one with media buttons if the loom has the required connections for the steering wheel buttons to work with the PCCM+?
Old 03-13-2023, 05:23 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by thescratt
Apologies if this has already been asked. I looked around and could not find any mention of this.
Does anyone know if you have a steering wheel without media buttons and you upgrade to one with media buttons if the loom has the required connections for the steering wheel buttons to work with the PCCM+?
has nothing to do with the pccm+ at all - multiFunction steering wheel is supported via the internal canbus programming of the pccm+ itself.

The trick is to make sure you have the proper steering wheel module (if upgrading to a wheel that is outside of your cars direct generation), and potentially even another adapter if upgrading to 991.2 wheel.

In all cases, minor coding is required in all steering wheel modules to enable multiFunction steering wheel. I would search on RL for the exact specifics as this conversion has been done by many here for at least a decade.
Old 03-13-2023, 05:47 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 601 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul S.
I got an email from Pelican earlier today about that--if you care, Pelican Parts price is higher than Gaudin Porsche where I bought mine, FWIW. No affiliation with either vendor.
Yeah, I thought that price was high. I got the email too, just figured I’d share in case someone was having a hard time locating one. For the record, I’m not affiliated with Pelican either.
Old 03-13-2023, 06:37 PM
thescratt
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
has nothing to do with the pccm+ at all - multiFunction steering wheel is supported via the internal canbus programming of the pccm+ itself.

The trick is to make sure you have the proper steering wheel module (if upgrading to a wheel that is outside of your cars direct generation), and potentially even another adapter if upgrading to 991.2 wheel.

In all cases, minor coding is required in all steering wheel modules to enable multiFunction steering wheel. I would search on RL for the exact specifics as this conversion has been done by many here for at least a decade.
Thanks. Yes, I understand how the pccm+ side of it works. I just wasn't sure if the wiring was there from the steering wheel itself. I assume the adapter is basically what gets it onto the canbus.
I'll have a look around.
Old 03-14-2023, 04:25 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Vocan
FWIW, looking at the language in your guide the FM box CAN be present on some CDR24 cars. My sound package plus CDR24 GT3 has it. Maybe it's CDR24 with neither SPP nor Bose that don't.
Ok, I'm going to have to point out that a GT3 GT2 are oddballs in the production line.. they aren't standard 997 or 987 by any measure.

The guide already said this :
"When in doubt, check in the foot well, if you have the box or not."

surely that covered the GT3 being odd, no?

But either way, i already updated the guide before your even posted.

Added this
IF the box is there, the couple MUST be used to by pass it.

I really cannot make it any clearer than that , can I?
Old 03-14-2023, 04:14 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Gaudin called today. Looks like the new SD cards are in.
The following 3 users liked this post by Alfnado:
fritzcurtis (03-15-2023), mchrono (03-14-2023), svandamme (03-15-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 05:20 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 424 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfnado
TY.
Just got off the phone with Austin over there. He gave me part number # PCG-642-504-00
Should arrive next week mon / tues. Will report results.
Old 03-14-2023, 10:19 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 2,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfnado
Originally Posted by mchrono
TY.
Just got off the phone with Austin over there. He gave me part number # PCG-642-504-00
Should arrive next week mon / tues. Will report results.
Thank you both for the update. They’re sending me a shipping label for the old SD card. Not sure if they’ll send the new one prior or if they’ll wait to receive mine, but either way they’re swapping them out, which is nice.
Old 03-15-2023, 03:07 PM
nikandriko
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

I am getting ground on pin8 when pin6 is triggered with the rear light. Any ideas? The ground stays for 0.5sec and then goes away. Any thoughts?
Old 03-16-2023, 02:23 AM
nikandriko
Advanced

Originally Posted by myw
sweeeet! Exactly as predicted - perfect for those wishing to do a clean - oem style install.

you should check for 987 reverse cam install videos - to confirm if you have to remove the bumper or not.
I am not getting that. I get switched ground on pin8 when pin6 gets a reverse trigger. Did several tests today, always getting ground.
Old 03-16-2023, 02:27 AM
nikandriko
Advanced

Wonder if pin5 is the solution for triggered 12V power for the camera. Haven’t tested that. Anyone to confirm?

Originally Posted by myw
@Steve W

based on the harness photos ....
PCG-642-504-00
pin6 - PINK REVERSE trigger (as u stated ) plug the 997 black + blueLine reverse trigger from the kick panel / taillight here. you can quickly send a 12v into this pin which should immediately trigger the pccm+ into reverse mode.
pin8 - BLACK GND - connect the cameras GND here.
pin5 - RED POWER (switched ON only if reverseTrigger/pin6 receives a 12v signal) - connect the cameras POWER to here. if pin6 has 12v input - can easily test with voltmeter.

The following users liked this post:
bxstrCA (05-03-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 10:33 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by nikandriko
Wonder if pin5 is the solution for triggered 12V power for the camera. Haven’t tested that. Anyone to confirm?
no its not pin5 - my findings were based on the wiring pin diagram for 955 pccm+ which is identical to the 997 pccm+.

Pin5 is power for private line higher end android radios only. porsche mapped its own pins - ignore the image above as I had already stated it doesnt apply to pccm+. even tho lol - the ground pin really is pin8.

Last edited by myw; 03-17-2023 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-16-2023, 10:39 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

I am not getting that. I get switched ground on pin8 when pin6 gets a reverse trigger. Did several tests today, always getting ground.
I am getting ground on pin8 when pin6 is triggered with the rear light. Any ideas? The ground stays for 0.5sec and then goes away. Any thoughts?
Thank you for posting this - I was waiting for a 3rd person to confirm, and this is exactly why i didn't want to release the rear cam harness yet.

Yes, either you or @svandamme is correct - his testing he had confirmed that pin8 was switched power when pin6 reverse trigger was activated, but from @maxw on his unit - he confirmed that it wasnt the case (not power). As nobody else had chimed in to confirm - and now you are also saying its not power but instead ground.

I was waiting for another person to respond - as having studied it further GND is possible for switched pin8 - as the cayenne reverse camera system uses a GND connection as a control cable that is connected to a relay - its more complicated as the cayenne uses this pin8 GND connection to control the reverse camera motor (as well as the camera power). EDIT - not to mention pin8 indeed is the camGND for all android radios

Do you have a video of this you can send me?

If what you are saying is true (which I am pretty sure it is) - then the camPower will need to be thru the reverse light wire - as pin8 is a GND (max 200ma) and not power (200ma).

Last edited by myw; 03-17-2023 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-16-2023, 11:40 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 81 Posts

I tested it, seemed to work for me, either that or a got things really mixed up pinwise.

But how would that make sense to have a switched ground?? Serves no real purpose splicing the reverse is already switched and fused..
adding a switched ground does not really add value to that ???

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request