Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

from http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1638864#1638864
The following users liked this post:
myw (04-10-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 02:24 PM
acf
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Many of us here are waiting for an OEM solution as the only option. Hope it’s good!
Old 04-10-2022, 03:01 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

It’s probably a lot more complicated than the 996 was given how much the 997 PCM controls (and allows you to customize). My guess is preserving that functionality is a coding nightmare. I’m sure we’ll get it. Just not sure when.
Old 04-10-2022, 03:55 PM
davcbr
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by acf
Beaucoup d'entre nous attendent une solution OEM comme seule option. J'espère que c'est bon !
It's really funny what you say (with respect), everyone knows that Porsche never designed the replacement for the PCCM, but just rebadged a Chinese thing.

Clearly it will come from a Chinese manufacturer, will probably be technologically behind and sold 400% more expensive

Personally I switched to NM Automotive, on original pcm
The following 2 users liked this post by davcbr:
myw (04-10-2022), vokain (04-11-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 04:44 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 564 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfnado
It’s probably a lot more complicated than the 996 was given how much the 997 PCM controls (and allows you to customize). My guess is preserving that functionality is a coding nightmare. I’m sure we’ll get it. Just not sure when.
no way, the probability of this is VERY low - this “oem” unit is NOT made by Becker.

It is very unlikely, that their genuine oem radio manufacturer would make a brand new stereo for a car that began production almost 2 decades ago (and has already been out of production for a decade already).

Once again, its VERY likely another licensed chinese android deck (996 pccm+ been proven a to be a chinese android radio, even the 996 pccm+ owners have been in contact with android radio experts hoping to 'unlock' the reverse camera).

The mic, gps, and main accessory wiring harnesses are swappable with any toyota corolla android radio because …. that’s really what the porsche one is. The hardware for the most part is the same. This is why the 996 pccm+ has absolutely ZERO porsche oem gateway integration, ie the trip computer, instrument cluster RDS (turn-by-turn, song info), door locks, audioPilot, speed settings, sport chronos etc... wont register with the car. They didnt even bother integrating existing hardware at all as it's cheaper + faster just to force the install of a new NAV puck + mic door lock.

I havn't checked with Jaguars radio either, but its VERY likely the same (zero oem car integration, like any other chinese android radio).

To keep all of this in perspective, android radios are great, and of course Porsche wants to make the most money as possible on these things. It makes the most sense for them to be made as cheaply as possible (bluetooth 1.0 chip, wired Carplay ONLY, no reverse cam support, non-hd android screen, minimal usb inputs) to ensure highest amount of profit possible.

They don't have to spend ANY R&D dollars either as the Chinese company making these does most of the R&D design, has meetings with porsche to ensure porsche 'guidelines' are met.... and porsche 'approves'. In fact, almost all licensed products work in the exact same way.

if I were to guess, just like last time (when 996 pccm+ launched the same day as jaguars legacy entertainment units were released) the real reason for the delay is likely that the aftermarket chinese radio company making both 997 pccm+, has another deal in place (maybe RR this time?) for another brands “legacy radio” as well. It makes most busine$$ sense for this aftermarket radio company (whoever it is) to be making porsche's 997 pccm+, to also be making some other brands as well - doing a single (as-large-as-possible) batch manufacturing-run to save costs.

Remember, these are generic android radios, have zero true oem car integration..... but have 'oem looking' exteriors + run brand-specific software skins.

If the unit was *really* made by Becker... being a true 'oem integrated' product .... I bet it would cost like 4500-5k usd.

Last edited by myw; 04-11-2022 at 01:08 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by myw:
davcbr (04-10-2022), nwGTS (05-06-2022), vokain (04-11-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 01:21 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

check it out guys, the 997 pccm+ manual - someone on the UK forums fount it.

https://manuals.plus/porsche/pccmplu...#axzz7SUflTqRt

POSITIVES (compared to aftermarket units)
========
- retains fader (front/rear) control
- retains oem trip settings AND retains pcm car settings (lights, memory settings etc) NICE!!!!! - i stand corrected here as I thought this wasn't going to happen. bravo for them on doing this. with this said, this is solely a 997.1 pcm, as 997.2 has different protocols in this regard.
- retains audioPilot
- has auto dimming screen sensor - Nice touch!
- fonts look like they (mostly) match the oem stuff (from photos below)
- bluetooth (expected)

NEGATIVES
=========
- has it's own mic on the Pcm, which means it will likely need a new external mic like any aftermarket deck (no install instructions so I cant confirm 100%), with this said, this likely means a new gps puck is also required (just like 996 pccm+. edit - it does come with another gps puck based on the product photos below).
- carplay/AA is wired, just like 996 pccm+
- NO backup camera support, just like 996 pccm+. c'mon this is silly, especially when the android hardware supports this easily, not to mention 996 pccm+ owners have complained about this.
- screen size 7" - the 997 pcm spot can fit 8" (many of us are running this size and its awesome). they used the smaller + cheaper screen as the 996 pccm+ to fit all the buttons, mic, SD slots etc. It wont matter to some, and compared to the oem 997.1 screen itll be a HUGE improvement. But this really is late 2000s (15 years old) technology.
- 800x480p resolution - ugh, a 15 year old iphone is 2.5X higher resolution then this. It's definitely better then the 997.1 oem pcm screen, but the same as oem 997.2 pcm 3.0 screen - which is still 13 years old tech. I run an 8" android 1280x720 997 pcm in my 997, and i run a 7" 480px800 oem (identical specs to this 997 pccm+) nav screen in my 2008 rx400h daily. There is no comparison.

UNSURE
=======
- rds information output to cluster - music, phone calls, gps info. This will have to be confirmed when people install these.
- color match to exact oem volcano grey - to be seen but should be matching. edit - from the photos below, should be perfect match.

Oh, and for better or worse, as discussed, it is indeed an android deck (as expected), android 6.0 to be exact. just like 996 pccm+.

All in all, other then retaining oem pcm functionality (trip + car settings, good for porsche for doing this) it is pretty much exactly what I thought it was going to be. I'm sure for most users, a 7" screen size will be fine.

the major gripe being not allowing for a backup camera is a missed opportunity. especially since 996 pccm+ owners have complained about it for 2 years.

I'm sure it will make many members happy, while others will want a larger screen, higher res, backup camera, unrestricted multiMedia functionality, obdii, newer camera systems, tpms, wireless carplay/AA , while saving money.

Now I am definitely curious about the price.

Last edited by myw; 05-06-2022 at 05:39 PM.
RedBoxCarr (03-22-2023)
Old 05-06-2022, 02:06 PM
pepperpepper
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Found some more information using the part number listed in the manual here:

https://electric.garden/kraemer-auto...ystem-pccmplus

There's actual photos of the unit as well...
Old 05-06-2022, 02:28 PM
ronvanr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

looks great, looks like they are getting rid of the number pad on the right and replacing it with a large touch screen.
I wish it came with a back up camera connecter.
Old 05-06-2022, 03:46 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

@myw have you seen instances where the 996+ reverse cam capability was 'unlocked'?
Old 05-06-2022, 04:23 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by nwGTS
@myw have you seen instances where the 996+ reverse cam capability was 'unlocked'?
not at all, i know they did ask some android pros to tackle it, but it didnt go further then that.

If i were to tackle this...
1) I would attach any standard android rear wireHarness with the reverse camera video input (as well as trigger cable) into the porsche pccm+
2) go into the secret android menu, and look for AND set the 'prohibit reverse' setting to OFF/ON (this is how its done for ALL the other android pcms), and then send a signal to the trigger cable (with video input). if the screen flips over... then it works. if not, i am guessing it is fully disabled + would not spend any more time on it.

for 997.2 3.0 owners, i think the NM auto/joyAuto solution is the best, most well-rounded solution currently. the screen is practically the same (maybe 1/2 in smaller, same resolution) then this new 2500$-ish 997 pccm+, carplay and maintains all oem controls, plus reverse camera. what more can you ask for.

Originally Posted by ronvanr
looks great, looks like they are getting rid of the number pad on the right and replacing it with a large touch screen.
I wish it came with a back up camera connecter.
a reverse camera is a huge benefit to our cars - this is an absurd missed opportunity for a 2022 pcm. Simple reverse camera support imho is very very fair and reasonable.

Last edited by myw; 05-06-2022 at 06:04 PM.
davismt55 (05-06-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 05:06 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pepperpepper
Found some more information using the part number listed in the manual here:

https://electric.garden/kraemer-auto...ystem-pccmplus

There's actual photos of the unit as well...
thanks to peppPeppers link above, i took a look.

a few confirmations based on the photos
- volcano grey - looks like a good match (should be perfect)
- it looks like 100% requires a new gps puck as it comes with one - perhaps a fakra extended would allow us to use the existing oem one?
- i am not sure what that 'antenna' is. whatever it's for i certainly hope it is to be installed in the CD changer compartment (and hidden)
- supports diversity antenna system for 997.1 cars (radio will still sound good)
- this is a 997.1 unit ONLY. based on the rear harness design it is NOT a 997.2 quadlock harness design. It remains to be seen if it'll come with a 997.1 -> 997.2 quadLock harness adapter, and in black paint. I also believe based on the manuals, the .2 has different trip computer and settings (and updated computer modules).
- since porsche guys are very picky, i'm not sure if the fonts match 100%. with the hvac controls/oem pcm 2.1 fonts ... but it looks 'close enough'

Last edited by myw; 05-06-2022 at 06:07 PM.
Pedro Lopes (05-06-2022)
Old 05-07-2022, 10:45 PM
Cmg Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 997.1 PCCM

So no back up camera? Guess I can install a Lookit camera and use my cell phone.
Old 05-07-2022, 10:59 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

No back up cam is a major turn off for me, as I already have one with the Sony head unit I have in the car. Guess that'll just stay and save some money!!
myw (05-09-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 09:19 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 329 Posts

No back up cam and “wired” CarPlay in 2022. I don’t see a benefit to paying the P-tax for subpar equipment. Such a disappointment.
The following 4 users liked this post by TerrestrialFlyte:
harlanmott3 (08-10-2022), myw (05-10-2022), ParkslopeDope (05-08-2022), SilCab (06-02-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 09:49 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 279 Posts

still. not showing on porsche site.

dont care for back up cam. have it dont use it

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request