Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 01:45 PM
fritzcurtis
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

For the US version of the PCCM, it is SiriusXM ready. If you want Sirius Sat Radio, you will need to purchase the SiriusXM Radio Vehicle Tuner. It is about 60 bucks on Amazon. Sirius XM SXV300V1. This kit comes with the needed tuner and antenna that is very similar to the GPS antenna. The Porsche kit comes with a cable that connects from PCCM to the Sirius Tuner. The tray on the PCCM is a great place to locate the tuner. Best location for the Sirius antenna is under the cowl. Remember, there is NO buffering with this tuner so you need a strong signal location. A pillar location was not strong enough for me with sat radio, although GPS antenna worked fine there.

Last edited by fritzcurtis; 01-30-2023 at 01:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JustinCase (01-31-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 01:57 PM
fritzcurtis
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

For the PCCM screen, I took a shot on this screen protector from Amazon and it fits perfect. 12 or 14 bucks but looks great and protects the screen.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by fritzcurtis; 01-30-2023 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-30-2023, 02:12 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 81 Posts

thanks Fritz, I updated the Sirius bit in the install guide with your intel
Old 01-30-2023, 02:15 PM
medicus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerFlower
This suggests the rear pins for USB don't support USB device mode (which requires a handshake and a switch between the ID and GND pins). Normally, the phone would connect as a device to the PCCM as a host (which means the head unit can access the files on the phone as a peripheral). For Carplay, it has to switch this around -- the PCCM becomes a device to the phone as a host, and the phone controls the PCCM.

It might still just be an issue with the USB box, because cables for Carplay need to support USB OTG. Though the USB box obviously supports this on the 996/986 PCCM, so that seems unlikely. But I still have a glimmer of hope that another cable (maybe the Subaru one?) would suddenly enable this.

Tl:dr; this is not so much a firmware or settings question, it's hardware related, from both the port and the cable, because it needs to be able to swap pin function.

But in Android head units it is usually possible to change the USB mode from device to host in settings.
That should also be possible in PCCM+

Old 01-30-2023, 02:20 PM
Summerjack
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

DO NOT START THE CAR WITH THE PCM REMOVED . THIS WILL DAMAGE YOUR CAR AND UNIT.

Can some verify if this is true?
Old 01-30-2023, 02:20 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

a lot of settings on the PCCM android are locked out..
Somebody would need to rootkit the darn thing and that might brick it or void warranty
Old 01-30-2023, 02:21 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Summerjack
DO NOT START THE CAR WITH THE PCM REMOVED . THIS WILL DAMAGE YOUR CAR AND UNIT.

Can some verify if this is true?
Where did you get that from?

how can it damage the unit if it is removed?
And why would PCM being removed damage the car.. CDR24 cars don't have PCM either
And what if your PCM has some kind of defect..and no longer works, that would somehow break your car? doubtful

Its a simple Android head unit
and it has a can bus connection.. I ran my PCCM without the canbus connected, it worked just fine (minus working trip compter)

Last edited by svandamme; 01-30-2023 at 02:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by svandamme:
myw (02-07-2023), Summerjack (03-04-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 02:55 PM
dph928
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerFlower
This suggests the rear pins for USB don't support USB device mode (which requires a handshake and a switch between the ID and GND pins). Normally, the phone would connect as a device to the PCCM as a host (which means the head unit can access the files on the phone as a peripheral). For Carplay, it has to switch this around -- the PCCM becomes a device to the phone as a host, and the phone controls the PCCM.

It might still just be an issue with the USB box, because cables for Carplay need to support USB OTG. Though the USB box obviously supports this on the 996/986 PCCM, so that seems unlikely. But I still have a glimmer of hope that another cable (maybe the Subaru one?) would suddenly enable this.

Tl:dr; this is not so much a firmware or settings question, it's hardware related, from both the port and the cable, because it needs to be able to swap pin function.
@PowerFlower Both myself and beebman have tried two different media boxes with the same result…it’s not a cable issue.

I came to the same conclusion re host/device. Doesn’t look possible to change it for that rear usb you can get working. Also note that there are two usbs and an aux port on the media unit. Only the phone usb works but not for phone, it works for media and charging only. The box has nothing to it, you get the same results going directly. The second usb port does nothing. Nor does aux. I fiddled with all the available settings in the t3launcher and couldn’t see anything configurable that allows separate setting for the usb socket (or enables the one which isn’t working). There maybe some config files if you know what you’re doing.

The porsche skin seems to use the hardware code to determine what’s available. It’s a different code for the 996 version. I suspect that enabling the ports / port config is firmware, I don’t think the software would let you use aux though unless it thinks you have the 996 unit. If you have a look at other Android units, there’s multiple firmware versions available depending on chosen config / components you chose. For success, I think the options would need to be unlocked in the Porsche software and the ports operational.

Last edited by dph928; 01-30-2023 at 02:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dph928:
medicus (01-30-2023), PowerFlower (01-31-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 02:55 PM
medicus
Advanced

[/QUOTE]

Nevertheless, I am not quite sure why a Subaru cable could solve the problem better than the original Media Box.
Old 01-30-2023, 03:12 PM
dph928
Instructor

Originally Posted by medicus
But in Android head units it is usually possible to change the USB mode from device to host in settings.
That should also be possible in PCCM+
The hidden settings seem to have a test for host/device mode but doesn’t change the setting. I couldn’t see the option in the t3launcher gui. You can change the mode i.e. charge only, media, ptp etc. though (this makes no difference to that rear usb). It could be in a config file somewhere. The interesting thing is that only one of the usb sockets works as wired on the media box. If it’s possible to get it working with CarPlay, probably best to mod power into the Subaru wire than have a second redundant usb and aux. It is the phone usb though that works, so it could still be possible if you can find that setting...I’m quite happy with the phone sitting in the cubby with a short usb. If it had worked I’d have wired it, but enough effort has been invested in exploring that. I’ll reconsider if someone solves it :-)
The following users liked this post:
medicus (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 03:13 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

making a better connections diagrap
Can anybody tell me where the Sirius xm plugs in too?

suspect in one of those white sockets, similar to where the MOST plugs into?? the one above it perhaps??
Old 01-30-2023, 03:26 PM
medicus
Advanced

@dph928 How do I mod power into the Subaru wire?

Last edited by medicus; 01-30-2023 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-30-2023, 03:41 PM
dph928
Instructor

@dph928 How do I mod power into the Subaru wire?
The Subaru plug slots into the brown socket. You have to take power from pin 4 of the 10 pin socket. You can get the 10 pin plugs on eBay. I got my Subaru socket here: https://audiotechdirect.com/atd-ffu-24096-female-usb-aux-in-cable-adapter-4-pin-connector-for-subaru-outback-forester-legacy/

See beebman’s diagram below:

Pin 2 of brown plug to pin 4 of 10 pin.

Last edited by dph928; 01-30-2023 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-30-2023, 03:54 PM
medicus
Advanced

Originally Posted by dph928
The Subaru plug slots into the brown socket. You have to take power from pin 4 of the 10 pin socket. You can get the 10 pin plugs on eBay. I got my Subaru socket here: https://audiotechdirect.com/atd-ffu-...rester-legacy/

See beebman’s diagram below:

Pin 2 of brown plug to pin 4 of 10 pin.
I saw and understood beebman's diagram. I also found the Subaru cable on the net. My question is, how gets power from pin 4 of the 10 pin socket to Subaru cable?
In the Media Box, both cables from the brown and from the white socket converge.

Last edited by medicus; 01-30-2023 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-30-2023, 04:06 PM
dph928
Instructor

I saw and understood beebman's diagram. I also found the Subaru cable on the net. My question is, how gets power from pin 4 of the 10 pin socket to Subaru cable?
You’d have to pop the cover off of the plug. Snip the wire at position 2. Peel back the covering of the cable enough to reach. Attach that wire to 10 pin plug into position 4. Reassemble the plug and tape up the cable. Plug the two plugs in. You then have a rear usb for charging or media.

The above is with reference to the Subaru cable. The media box works for me as it is (in the phone socket only and as storage / charging).

Cover unclips with precision screw driver. Front unclips.

Buy a 10 pin plug from eBay. Connect to pin 4. Get rid of the extra wires. All made easier if you have a pin removal tool.

Last edited by dph928; 01-30-2023 at 05:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request