Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2023, 08:23 AM
dph928
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera01
Just wondering should we also remove the telephone module under the driver's seat and as others have already, the old nav unit and CD changer in the frunk,
Does Porsche have an opinion/recommendation? In other words, Originality Vs Dead Weight
The way I’m thinking of it is that this is a Porsche update. If they’d been able to produce this PCM at outset then they would have. I don’t see any reason to keep defunct kit in the car and have removed it (where it’s easy to do so). I think it’s equally valid though to leave it there so someone would reinstall PCM 2.1 in the future. I’m just considering what I want really and not worrying about next owner :-)
Old 01-16-2023, 10:43 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

I just opened my unit from Gaudin and all I got was a quick start guide. Is this the only manual others have gotten from them?
Old 01-16-2023, 10:45 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven C.
I just opened my unit from Gaudin and all I got was a quick start guide. Is this the only manual others have gotten from them?
Yes, from the sounds of things. My unit is out for delivery today from Chandler and I’ll post up when I have a chance to open the box.
Old 01-16-2023, 10:52 AM
maxw
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by csmab
Maxw….Looks nice. Did you notice any white noise as others have indicated with the volume at “0” or muted? Also, since you have a non-Bose system you really didn’t need the MOST Adapter box you put on the tray. These are needed for BOSE only systems to convert the fiber optic signal.
Thanks csmab for the note about the MOST adapter - I wasn't sure here. I just disconnected it, and also removed the fiber optic loop cable just to see if would make a difference - and all worked the same with those items removed. My car did not have NAV or a CD changer - so I guess for my application these items just are not needed.

Regarding the white noise, unfortunately I do hear some. I disconnected the antenna, GPS, and external mic. and moved wires around to see if anything would eliminate it, and I couldn't get it go away. It's faint though, you'd never hear it with the engine running. Sitting in a silent garage with engine off, if I turn up audio slightly (just 1 click) the noise is covered. That said - I may not be the best to get feedback on this subject at this point - I only have working rear speakers right now. When I got my car 10 years ago, the prior owner left the stock PCM for the head unit, but put in after market amplifiers and Focal component speakers in the front, and a custom sub box for the back (also with a separate amplifier). I tore all of it out because I really never listened to the stereo and it was a ton of dead weight (found the custom subwoofer box in the back over the rear weighed 50 pounds).

So at this point I want to work out getting the front speakers working again. I need to reverse engineer what was done before and possibly put the aftermarket amplifier back in to power the front Focal component speakers. That said, the rear speakers are working now - could these be powered by the PCCM+ unit? Is there some amplification in the head unit itself? Or would my non-Bose car still have a factor amp somewhere that is likely powering the rear speakers?
Old 01-16-2023, 10:54 AM
maxw
Instructor

I got mine from my local dealer, and can confirm no installation related instructions are included.
Old 01-16-2023, 10:56 AM
dph928
Instructor

Originally Posted by maxw
I got mine from my local dealer, and can confirm no installation related instructions are included.
yip, this is all that came in my box too. I don’t think you need much else though really.
The following users liked this post:
beebman (01-17-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 11:00 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks guys! It's amusing that the original unit needed a small book. My how things have changed. Great weight savings mod!!
Old 01-16-2023, 11:05 AM
The Mick
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by maxw
Thanks all here for the info and sharing the knowledge. I updated my notes above on the photo of the wires/ports based on feedback here. As G.I.G. noted, it's pretty fool proof on where to plug stuff.

I spent more time than I want to admit removing the old PCM. I had removed it a couple times in the past, but struggled more this time for some reason. The 5mm Allen wrench part where you're supposed to turn it 180 degrees or so to unlock it so it can slide out just wasn't cooperating. I noticed the new unit updated the approach here ditching the plastic which should make it less problematic next time.

Here is a view with stuff plugged into the back before putting in the car to test:

I have a non-Bose - the loop simply plugs into a matching colored wire you'll have removed off the back of the old PCM. .

Confirmed all working before tucking all away:

It was great to plug in and having all working with no issues. I don't have the map SD card so didn't test that - not sure if I'm going to bother getting it as will will likely just use Waze/Google Maps/Apple Maps.

Appreciate all those are doing to try to figure out and if can get a backup camera working on a manual - I'd like to add that as well if a good solution could be confirmed. Would be nice as well if could have a USB connection on the back that worked with CarPlay for a cleaner look.

My early impression playing around with it is really positive - great upgrade!
Is the trip computer in your PCCM plus working? I was under the belief that wasn’t possible unless the Most cables were connected.
Old 01-16-2023, 11:33 AM
maxw
Instructor

Originally Posted by The Mick
Is the trip computer in your PCCM plus working? I was under the belief that wasn’t possible unless the Most cables were connected.
The trip data appears to be working even with the MOST device disconnected and the fiber loop removed on my non-Bose car. I see the MPG, average miles per hour, speed, etc., data. I may need to get out on the road to fully confirm it tracking miles and all but it appears to be showing the data. G.I.G. did make the comment earlier that it's probably worth just installing and leaving it in regardless just to be safe and ultimately I may do that. I'm all for leaving out anything not needed, but these are minor items.
Old 01-16-2023, 12:46 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by dph928
The way I’m thinking of it is that this is a Porsche update. If they’d been able to produce this PCM at outset then they would have. I don’t see any reason to keep defunct kit in the car and have removed it (where it’s easy to do so). I think it’s equally valid though to leave it there so someone would reinstall PCM 2.1 in the future. I’m just considering what I want really and not worrying about next owner :-)
I agree. I'm waiting to determine if I sell my original PCM to decide if I start removing some of the ancillary equipment associated with the PCM. A buddy mentioned that he sees the original PCM's go for around $300 on eBay. I suspect that there will be flood of old PCM's hitting the used market soon with the release of the new PCCM+, and add the fact that the original owner's mix CD is stuck in the CD drive (it's not bad, actually) in my PCM, I don't think I'll be able to sell it for much.

I had another friend ask me if I would consider removing the PCCM+ to sell separately when/if I go to sell my 997. I gave that some thought but I think it would be penny wise, pound foolish. I think the PCCM+ would be a selling point, especially if I were to sell my car private party. I think of my car as "OEM+". I have a few tasteful mods (Fister mufflers, Numeric shifter, etc.), and I think the PCCM+ helps to enhance the OEM+ look/feel of my car. I specifically eliminated 997's from my search with aftermarket head units despite the modern tech. They just never look right to me or period correct, even with some of the better dash kits. But I digress.

As others have already confirmed, my unit only came with the quick start guide as well. The lack of instructions is why this thread has morphed into installation tutorials and best practices. I think between the FGP video, and the pics and recommendations posted here, that anyone looking to tackle this project should be in good shape despite the lack of installation instructions with the PCCM+.

Also, below is a link to the full length manual if you haven't seen it already.

997 PCCM+ Users Manual
Old 01-16-2023, 12:56 PM
dph928
Instructor

@G.I.G. this is a very good point. Please don’t list your PCMs until mine has sold :-)
Old 01-16-2023, 01:08 PM
maxw
Instructor

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
I agree. I'm waiting to determine if I sell my original PCM to decide if I start removing some of the ancillary equipment associated with the PCM. A buddy mentioned that he sees the original PCM's go for around $300 on eBay. I suspect that there will be flood of old PCM's hitting the used market soon with the release of the new PCCM+, and add the fact that the original owner's mix CD is stuck in the CD drive (it's not bad, actually) in my PCM, I don't think I'll be able to sell it for much.
For what it's worth, back in the mid-90's I bought my first Porsche - a 1978 928 and I promptly yanked out the outdated original tape deck stereo to replace with an Alpine CD player.

That old/original stereo is now very desirable and valuable for those out there looking to restore their 928 to original form. Granted there were a lot more 997's made, but who knows - maybe in 20 years people will find the original 997.1 PCM with the phone number pad to be something very cool to have!

Mine will go in a box along with my old 928 stereo to use someday, maybe!
Old 01-16-2023, 01:10 PM
funcars
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Trip data and the integration with the dash display is likely through the CAN bus interface - the same bus where the PCCM+ is picking up the automatic transmission's reverse signal. AFAIK MOST only carries audio/entertainment signals. Pretty sure in the BOSE system, the head unit sends the speaker output to the amp via MOST.

Speaking of MOST, for those with frunk cd changers, did you need to bypass the cd changer/substitute, or is it still in the loop with the PCCM+?
The following users liked this post:
myw (02-15-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 01:12 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 171 Posts

So I have a funny back story to share....

I met a guy a little over a year ago that had just received delivery of one of the Stop-Sale 991.1's, a C4S Coupe, from Porsche of Colorado Springs. He told me that a couple of the guys from Porsche of Colorado Springs had started a podcast called First Dibs. The premise of First Dibs is to discuss cars that they were receiving in on trade, had recently bought, or were somewhere in the CPO process but had not hit their website yet so listeners could potentially catch wind of them before they were listed for sale, hence the name of their show. They also discuss other Porsche related content, host interviews, etc.

It was right around this time (late 2021) that an article had surfaced from the EU with an interview by someone who seemed to indicate that the PCCM+ for the 997 was in the works. I had tuned into a couple episodes of First Dibs and heard that they had an upcoming interview scheduled with someone from Porsche Classic. So I reached out to them and shared the link to the article, and asked them if they could ask their contact at Porsche Classic about the status of the 997 PCCM+.

As it turns out, that line of questioning may have created at bit of a stir at Porsche Classic, but that it also underscored the potential demand for the 997 PCCM+ and that it was moved forward in the project queue because of that. So the way I see it, you can all thank me that the 997 PCCM+ was released to the public when it was

If you skip ahead to minute 32:00 in the YouTube link to their show from this last Friday night, they share the story and some of the pics I sent them of my install.

Last edited by G.I.G.; 01-16-2023 at 01:14 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by G.I.G.:
bxstrCA (02-26-2023), Carfan1 (01-16-2023), funcars (01-16-2023), PowerFlower (02-09-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 01:13 PM
beebman
Track Day

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dph928
Great. There’s also this shot of a back of the 996 unit. You can’t quite see the Green and wire wires (assuming colour coding is consistent with usb). May give some clues.

Taken from another thread
@dph928 I’ve taken another look and have had no joy getting car play to work with the external usb. Here’s my thinking. Usb controller chips normally only support two connections. As the unit has one in the front and the one I found on the rear then that’s two usb’s. Hopefully I’ll be proved wrong when your media box arrives🤞. I’m looking at removing the 12v in the centre arm rest and replacing it with a usb port using some thing like this with the connectors changed. It’s a tidy and cheap alternative to the media box if it doesn’t work.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373293059...mis&media=COPY

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request