Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2023, 11:08 AM
maxw
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bxstrCA
So now I have the PCCM+ but no installation instructions. I'm replacing a head unit that I just bought last spring that has no tactile buttons; everything is touchscreen and this was the breaking point for me (plus losing the nav prompts in the cluster). I did the installation myself (amp too) routed wires and added a salvaged Bose deck in the rear. Sound is now excellent (I'm an audiophile, not a 20 yr old sound pressure competitor ). So understanding the installation will be key for my application. Does anyone have links to documentation? My searches aren't finding anything. Porsche is doing what any dealer would do: force you through their service department. I prefer to be hands on with this, but wanted to see if anyone had links before attempting 'blindly'.
There is a ton of info on this forum to guide you - lots of reading. Rennlist member svandamme has been kind enough to organize a DIY guide that is a forum sticky and you can access it here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...diy-guide.html

Good luck with the install!
The following users liked this post:
bxstrCA (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 04:08 PM
bxstrCA
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

In my non- Bose 987, I replaced the ASK Amp with a Hertz amp, which now meant that the dash centre speaker was no longer operative. I removed it and used that space to house the GPS antenna (I snaked the connector down to the head unit). I notice no loss of audio quality with the missing centre speaker (I also added a salvaged Bose rear deck and it sounds great). I am using ALL original speakers and it works perfectly .... we'll see if that continues post PCCM+ install
myw (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 04:11 PM
bxstrCA
Instructor

Originally Posted by maxw
There is a ton of info on this forum to guide you - lots of reading. Rennlist member svandamme has been kind enough to organize a DIY guide that is a forum sticky and you can access it here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...diy-guide.html

Good luck with the install!

This is amazing! Thanks so much for sharing these links!!
Old 02-26-2023, 06:08 PM
bxstrCA
Instructor

So after spending the afternoon reading the threads, I sobered up to my reality. I may not be able to make this work: I have connectors coming from an aftermarket amp (RCA) that I have no way of routing into the head unit. Because they give us no schematic, I can't even rig up something. I'll have to remove the current head unit and reassess, but I don't think it's going to be possible ...
Old 02-26-2023, 08:35 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 564 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by bxstrCA
So after spending the afternoon reading the threads, I sobered up to my reality. I may not be able to make this work: I have connectors coming from an aftermarket amp (RCA) that I have no way of routing into the head unit. Because they give us no schematic, I can't even rig up something. I'll have to remove the current head unit and reassess, but I don't think it's going to be possible ...
the 955 (same as 997) pccm+ schematic diagram is in this thread.

you can get the audio pinOuts from the
- 12 pin android specfic harness that goes to the MOST adapter (no center channel but the other 4 channels)
- the brown harness that plugs in the MIDDLE of the main 3 oem harnesses - it is dedicated solely for the 4 channel output only (no center channel).

hmm - now im wondering if i should offer this RCA audio harness. EDIT - ive figured it all out - going to get this harness tested.

Last edited by myw; 02-26-2023 at 10:21 PM.
bxstrCA (02-27-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 10:23 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Alfnado
No, you’re misunderstanding. There was no phone plugged into the cable. It was a cable plugged into the USB port on the PCCM+. The car was parked for an hour.
a cable plugged into nothing (to draw power) does not draw power.

is it one of those cables with a light on it ? if so then yes that could draw power assuming the USB port gets constant power.
Old 02-26-2023, 11:02 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks everyone for the advice. I’ll return to troubleshooting whatever it is that is draining my battery. As some have mentioned, might just be time to replace it.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:53 AM
medicus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rear USB

Originally Posted by dph928
You’d have to pop the cover off of the plug. Snip the wire at position 2. Peel back the covering of the cable enough to reach. Attach that wire to 10 pin plug into position 4. Reassemble the plug and tape up the cable. Plug the two plugs in. You then have a rear usb for charging or media.

The above is with reference to the Subaru cable. The media box works for me as it is (in the phone socket only and as storage / charging).

Cover unclips with precision screw driver. Front unclips.

Buy a 10 pin plug from eBay. Connect to pin 4. Get rid of the extra wires. All made easier if you have a pin removal tool.
Is there anyone here who did it this way with the Subaru cable? And does it all work as described above?

And is there anyone who uses the original media toolbox from 996?
Maybe someone wants to give up the thing because its not in use anymore. I would take it.

Does any of you have a spliced Subaru cable that you can sell me?

Last edited by medicus; 02-27-2023 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-27-2023, 01:52 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 81 Posts

dph928 did it, you even quoted the picture showing how he does it

You seem to be second guessing everyting on on this thread. There are no guarantees in this DIY hack, unless you try it, it won't happen.
and when you do try it, you'll have to verify , measure the voltages.. Because you can't be sure your cable is the same wiring as the one DPH928 has.

thats why his instructions were written out in detail.. on the DIY guide.. you were on the thread when we all discussed that!

The media box is probably your best way forward, Teile.com has em, will be cheaper thant asking somebody from the US to send one and get customs charges on that.

Last edited by svandamme; 02-27-2023 at 01:54 PM.
myw (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 01:57 PM
medicus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by svandamme
dph928 did it, you even quoted the picture showing how he does it

You seem to be second guessing everyting on on this thread. There are no guarantees in this DIY hack, unless you try it, it won't happen.
and when you do try it, you'll have to verify , measure the voltages.. Because you can't be sure your cable is the same wiring as the one DPH928 has.

thats why his instructions were written out in detail.. on the DIY guide.. you were on the thread when we all discussed that!

The media box is probably your best way forward
Unfortunately, the pictures don't show that at all. I see a picture with the Subaru cable on one side and the 10 PIN plug on the other. But unfortunately not both together. Hence my question.
Old 02-27-2023, 07:11 PM
dph928
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by medicus
Unfortunately, the pictures don't show that at all. I see a picture with the Subaru cable on one side and the 10 PIN plug on the other. But unfortunately not both together. Hence my question.
@svandamme instructions show you the exactly what you need to do. This is also how the media box is wired (if you buy it). I did buy it in the hope there was more to it and CarPlay would work. It didn’t and only one of the two ports worked, so if you’re happy swapping two pins and connecting 1 wire to the 10 pin you will be fine and this will save you some money. Good luck.
Old 02-27-2023, 07:47 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Hecklerstan
Yes. Mine is Tiptronics. So if the yellow cable is needed for the tiptronic version, should I splice the pin 8 yellow cable to power the camera? Thanks...
Originally Posted by Carrera01
On a Tiptronic, the yellow pin 8 goes to an unused pin on the large connector. -same as the manuals.
The main difference with a Tip is there is no need to supply 12v to pin 6 to make the PCCM change screen when in reverse
You can use the yellow pin 8 to power the camera or tap from the reverse light.
did you both end up powering the reverse cam from (switched) pin 8 while feeding the reverse trigger to pin6?

i know @svandamme got it to work this way, but @maxw unit didnt (it still provided switched power, but not to the proper voltage.

Last edited by myw; 02-27-2023 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-27-2023, 08:09 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

delete
Old 02-27-2023, 08:12 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by nikandriko
If I re-pin 8 to 6 and cut it from the other end to splice it into the reverse camera trigger, what do I lose?
Someone mentioned the Sirius/XM functionality.
Is this the case?
those pins have nothing to do with the siriusXM
Old 02-27-2023, 08:13 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by edz968s
Agreed. As the PCCM has an audible click when selecting cameara, perhaps there needs to be a delay in the settings from infotainment screen to what's behind view.
there isn't, it's standard android protocol to fire the camera on first, then switch to reverse camera input. it's not a settings thing.

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request