Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2023, 09:12 AM
medicus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by svandamme
Copyright is not the point, its just rude to just take a source, repackage it and not credit it.
And then come to the place where the info originally came from to show how you gathered up all info??

At the very least link back to the original DIY thread and the discussion thread, where you got all the information from in the first place
I don't see it that way. I think we are all voluntary and no one has asked you to set up a DIY forum. I don't think you should be so sensitive.
Old 03-01-2023, 09:42 AM
nikandriko
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Copyright is not the point, its just rude to just take a source, repackage it and not credit it.
And then come to the place where the info originally came from to show how you gathered up all info??

At the very least link back to the original DIY thread and the discussion thread, where you got all the information from in the first place
@svandamme I prepared these notes for myself and for my mechanic who was kind enough to do the installation (that’s not his thing, he is not an electronics shop). This document was never intended to become public at the time of writing. It was a last minute thought last night when I felt I should share this with everyone out of gratitude for this forum. I am not selling it, profiting from this and never claimed that these are my discoveries. I am freely sharing my notes. Also, I believe under Resources I had linked to your DIY guide as well as you’ll find lots of other places in the document with direct links to related Rennlist posts and YouTube videos. Again, for my own benefit and that of my mechanic.

Your post, however, gives me the opportunity to thank everyone here @maxw , @myw and you @svandamme who have contributed and made this installation possible, people on this forum who figured out the backup camera pins for the manual, the location of the GPS antenna, the external microphone, replied to my posts, to yours. And the end result of the PCCM+ last night made me really happy, as I am sure it will with a lot more people on this thread. I am grateful for that and the fact that all of the contributions here lower our installation costs and the bar for more people doing it and enjoying their cars even more.

Last but not least, if you think it’s useful as a documentation form (maybe pinned on a Rennlist thread or sth) happy to add you as editors on the document if you think it’s of any community value keeping this up to date with lots of contributors or evolving it as a more polished installation guide. If, however, proper technical documentation is the right way, I would recommend sth like Gitbook for version tracking, multiple contributors, etc. vs. the simplistic way of a Google/Word doc.

Last edited by nikandriko; 03-01-2023 at 11:21 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by nikandriko:
defunct_neurons (03-10-2023), Hecklerstan (03-01-2023), maxw (03-01-2023), MSQ (03-06-2023), myw (03-01-2023), ParkslopeDope (03-13-2023), svandamme (03-01-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-01-2023, 11:45 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by medicus
I don't see it that way. I think we are all voluntary and no one has asked you to set up a DIY forum. I don't think you should be so sensitive.
its not your opinion that matters but mine, as those were my graphics. That I made, with my time..

"We are all voluntary" but i've yet to see you contribute anything other than second guessing.. So there you go
some respect for those wo do put in the effort when using somebodies effort in another location.. All I asked for.

Last edited by svandamme; 03-01-2023 at 11:50 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by svandamme:
bxstrCA (03-01-2023), Steven C. (03-02-2023), Summerjack (03-01-2023)
Old 03-01-2023, 11:47 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nikandriko
@svandamme I prepared these notes for myself and for my mechanic who was kind enough to do the installation (that’s not his thing, he is not an electronics shop). This document was never intended to become public at the time of writing. It was a last minute thought last night when I felt I should share this with everyone out of gratitude for this forum. I am not selling it, profiting from this and never claimed that these are my discoveries. I am freely sharing my notes. Also, I believe under Resources I had linked to your DIY guide as well as you’ll find lots of other places in the document with direct links to related Rennlist posts and YouTube videos. Again, for my own benefit and that of my mechanic.

Your post, however, gives me the opportunity to thank everyone here @maxw , @myw and you @svandamme who have contributed and made this installation possible, people on this forum who figured out the backup camera pins for the manual, the location of the GPS antenna, the external microphone, replied to my posts, to yours. And the end result of the PCCM+ last night made me really happy, as I am sure it will with a lot more people on this thread. I am grateful for that and the fact that all of the contributions here lower our installation costs and the bar for more people doing it and enjoying their cars even more.

Last but not least, if you think it’s useful as a documentation form (maybe pinned on a Rennlist thread or sth) happy to add you as editors on the document if you think it’s of any community value keeping this up to date with lots of contributors or evolving it as a more polished installation guide. If, however, proper technical documentation is the right way, I would recommend sth like Gitbook for version tracking, multiple contributors, etc. vs. the simplistic way of a Google/Word doc.

fair enough, No worries

No I don't want to be editing things in different locations, thats really more work for me. But thx for the offer.
Old 03-01-2023, 12:15 PM
Racecar21
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fair enough, No worries

No I don't want to be editing things in different locations, thats really more work for me. But thx for the offer.

hi svandamme, thank you for your write up in the other thread. Just to be clear .. What adapters do i need to buy in order for my installer to install a back up camera with the pccm+?
any help is appreciated
The following users liked this post:
defunct_neurons (03-10-2023)
Old 03-01-2023, 03:41 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Racecar21
hi svandamme, thank you for your write up in the other thread. Just to be clear .. What adapters do i need to buy in order for my installer to install a back up camera with the pccm+?
any help is appreciated
Either facra to RCA
or just replug the 6 pin connector with an RCA jack instead of the supplied Fakra.
or get a fresh 6 pin and build a nice one with that, skip the fakra
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...d=dlz5vIjkte5J

Since you already have to manually put a trigger on the pin 6 of the 6 pin connector, I'de just splcie in the RCA wire to that plug instead of bothering with the Fakra as I did. not worth the hassle of getting a fakra2RCA adapter

Last edited by svandamme; 03-01-2023 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-01-2023, 05:45 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 423 Likes on 263 Posts

I am running into a bit of an issue.

My car came from the factory with the 4166MOST Amp 997.645.334.33, however the previous owner had a pioneer head unit and Alpine analog amp installed in the frunk.

The installers chopped off the speaker wires from the MOST amp connector and ran RCA cables to the analog amp. The original PCM, navigation unit, SXM box, and MOST amp were all included in the sale and it was easy enough to splice the speaker wires back and reconnect the fiber connection to the MOST amp.

Following these directions, I have the new PCCM+ all working as expected, except it seems it cannot find the MOST amp.

Autoconfig detects:

-Porsche 9x7;

-Digital GAL; and

-CAN

but PCCM+ does not see the MOST amp.

I have the PCCM+ MOST adapter installed on the shelf like the instructions say. The optical cable does not look to be kinked anywhere. I tried all possible combinations plugging in the SXM box and the optical loop plug to the unused NAV plug, the even popped out the fiber to only go the MOST amp plug (ie got rid of the other optical plugs in the frunk). Nothing. The amp gets power and makes occasional clicking sounds, but nothing at all to the speakers.

Any ideas?

Last edited by mchrono; 03-01-2023 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-01-2023, 05:54 PM
fritzcurtis
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey guys…have an update if you are having the RDS time synch issue. Go into Factory Mode and open T3Launcher. It opens up the operating system for Android. Hit the box on the right side to display available icons. System is the one that has DATE and TIME on it. I went in an updated my time zone to Central time as opposed to Shanghai!!! Go figure. Remember, be careful changing any settings and take pictures if you do change something so you can revert back to Shanghai if you want to!!!
The following users liked this post:
dlascoskie (03-01-2023)
Old 03-01-2023, 06:02 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 564 Likes on 335 Posts

to confirm, the oem bose fibre optic system was restored and it has been confirmed that hte original PCM had no problem sending sound correct?

Originally Posted by mchrono
They installers chopped off the speaker wires from the MOST amp connector and ran RCA cables to the analog amp. The original PCM, navigation unit, SXM box, and MOST amp were all included in the sale and it was easy enough to splice the speaker wires back and reconnect the fiber connection to the MOST amp.
Old 03-01-2023, 09:06 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 423 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
to confirm, the oem bose fibre optic system was restored and it has been confirmed that hte original PCM had no problem sending sound correct?
Just got back from testing this. Nope, the original PCM powers right up but then reports that the amp cannot be found. Does the amp need to be coded to the car? Im thinking maybe the installers may have had it coded out, otherwise, its looking like the factory amp may be bad.

If the factory amp is bad, I think I would rather go with a generic MOST amp (if such a thing exists) or standard analog amp or instead. Car already has RCA running into the frunk. Are there RCA output plugs available for the PCCM+?
Old 03-02-2023, 03:08 AM
medicus
Advanced

When I plug in my iPod, I get the message "iPod is not supported". it runs perfectly on my currently installed Dension 500 GW.

Is there actually a way to continue using the Dension on the PCCM+ by simply connecting it to the MOST Box instead of the loop? I don't have a Bose system.

Old 03-02-2023, 04:17 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by medicus
When I plug in my iPod, I get the message "iPod is not supported". it runs perfectly on my currently installed Dension 500 GW.

Is there actually a way to continue using the Dension on the PCCM+ by simply connecting it to the MOST Box instead of the loop? I don't have a Bose system.
I Don't see how PCCM would at all detect Dension as to my knowledge it emulates a CD changer, and the MOST CD changers are not supported by PCCM
Only devices supported are the ASK or BOSE amplifiers.

Last edited by svandamme; 03-02-2023 at 04:23 AM.
Old 03-02-2023, 04:21 AM
medicus
Advanced

I Don't see how PCCM would at all detect Dension as to my knowledge it emulates a CD changer, and the MOST CD changers are not supported.
Only devices supported are the ASK or BOSE amplifiers.
Thx
Old 03-02-2023, 12:36 PM
diceman725
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by fritzcurtis
Hey guys…have an update if you are having the RDS time synch issue. Go into Factory Mode and open T3Launcher. It opens up the operating system for Android. Hit the box on the right side to display available icons. System is the one that has DATE and TIME on it. I went in an updated my time zone to Central time as opposed to Shanghai!!! Go figure. Remember, be careful changing any settings and take pictures if you do change something so you can revert back to Shanghai if you want to!!!
on the 955 as well?

I don’t see anything.

Old 03-02-2023, 01:39 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 564 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by mchrono
Are there RCA output plugs available for the PCCM+?
No but I have already placed an order to have them made as I already have the pccm+ backup camera harnesses manufactured and being shipped to me, having helped figure it all out.
The following 4 users liked this post by myw:
dlascoskie (03-02-2023), JustinCase (03-02-2023), maxw (03-03-2023), mchrono (03-02-2023)

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request