Old 02-17-2023, 01:17 PM
maxw
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by svandamme
I already did confirm .

I tested it, and it worked for me.

I did not use it, as I prefered splicing in the reverse lights in the back
easier access on cayman than having to get in the footwell to find a wire behind the kickplate.
And personally rather get cam power off reversing lights than off the PCCM anyway its all in the same location on my Cayman, the hole where the camera enters the trunk, the fuse box and wiring loom for the rear lights ..
Splice once, get 12V and Trigger signal..
No brainer on 987

So used this diagram instead :

How did you test to confirm it was working? Did you actually wire the camera to power off pin 8 or did you test pin 8 with a multimeter and saw the 12v there once 6 was triggered? Were you able to confirm pin 8 has 0v until pin 6 was powered?

I get why you did the way you did - it's easier - one less wire to run. I'm just concerned about running the trigger and camera power off that same circuit. I get the camera may not use much power, but as I mentioned prior I got burned doing this type of thing before on another car (introducing more load on a circuit that what it was designed for). Maybe I'm being too paranoid about it but in an abundance of caution I'd rather not go this route if could avoid it and feed the camera clean/separate power from the reverse light trigger - and ideally a clean/separate power source that is only triggered when shifting into reverse (hoping that would have been pin 8).

Based on the schematics from Porsche it does seem pin 8 should be sending power but I more than triple checked and triple tested and it did not work for me. Also myw has communicated this should work based on his extensive experience with how Android units work by default. But still - no go for me so just looking for more confirmation if it's just me or how it works on the PCCM+. So far seems like you're the only one saying you got 12v off pin 8.

Last edited by maxw; 02-17-2023 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-17-2023, 01:44 PM
maxw
Instructor

Originally Posted by edz968s
Woo-hoo!
Used the redundant yellow wire and put into pin 6, temp connected earth, ran test, when prompted to engage reverse, connected the 12V, you can hear PCCM click, ran test and ended up with this screen, disconnected, reconnected and reverse screen each time.
Just got to feed cable to rear and fit camera.

Anyone know what the reverse light cable colour is?
Congrats on getting it working! The reverse light wire is black with a blue stripe - here is a pic with passenger tail light removed and the correct wire (will solder it when done with testing and finalizing power source):

Last edited by maxw; 02-17-2023 at 01:46 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by maxw:
bredward (05-09-2023), brudomen (02-17-2023), svandamme (02-17-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 02:02 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by diceman725
Thanks. I’ve got it in with a few outstanding issues

- The PCCM throws a check engine light in apparently the ‘08 957. It’s advertised as an upgrade for the 955, but also for the ‘08 957. Porsche is looking at it, but it’s unknown if and when a fix might be available.

- I haven’t been able hook up an aftermarket camera. I had a kenwood headunit with a camera before installing the pccm. I’m planning on taking another crack at it this weekend

- I’ve been able to verify the gps works through the developer tools, but I’m unable to determine a map location when I insert the sd card I purchased. Apparently you’ve been able to determine that some cards are bad. Is that right? In hindsight, I don’t know why I bought the sd card.

when I ran some of my issues past Suncoast where I bought the pccm they told me to I needed to have a dealer install it. So, I called Porsche Grapevine and they quoted me $1200. I tried Porsche Plano and they never got back to me. Right now the pccm for the 955/957 is buggy and a liability. And it’s too bad, it sounds great - better than my kenwood setup. I’m going to have to live with the check engine light for a little while. Hoping I can get the camera solved this weekend.
Diceman, if you or someone you know owns an OBD II reader like the Foxwell (there are a number of Foxwell models that are Porsche specific--I have the FOXWELL NT510 Elite-- you might try to clear the check engine and any other fault codes and see if the check engine light comes back. A dealer with a PWIS could also do that for you, some do and others do not charge for something that simple. RAC Performance in Addison used to do a reset for me, no charge. Just a thought
Old 02-17-2023, 02:27 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by maxw
How did you test to confirm it was working? Did you actually wire the camera to power off pin 8 or did you test pin 8 with a multimeter and saw the 12v there once 6 was triggered? Were you able to confirm pin 8 has 0v until pin 6 was powered?
I did not measure 8 to have 0 volt

I wired the camera power to 8
and triggered the 6 manually

I had an image.

if anything check your 6 pin connections, they are flimsy
I had a bad contact there as well. sometimes they don't seat properly and then inserting the 6 pin in PCCM pushes it out.. and any vibration then causes poor contact

Last edited by svandamme; 02-17-2023 at 02:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
myw (02-18-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 02:37 PM
maxw
Instructor

I had an image.
Thanks for confirming. Did you do anything with the auto-config process to get it to register the camera? Or any unique changes to the settings to get this to work? I imagine not or you would have mentioned, but just can't figure out why I'm not getting this same behavior.
Old 02-17-2023, 03:18 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Thanks for confirming. Did you do anything with the auto-config process to get it to register the camera? Or any unique changes to the settings to get this to work? I imagine not or you would have mentioned, but just can't figure out why I'm not getting this same behavior.

you have to do the auto configure with camera and pin 6 triggered
so it detects it at least once, once it did that, you can test things out with the wiring, and each time 6 is triggered you get audible click as it switches over to the RCA feed
if no feed it displays an orange camera symbol
also reduces audio volume when it switches over
maxw (02-17-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 10:00 PM
nikandriko
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

If I re-pin 8 to 6 and cut it from the other end to splice it into the reverse camera trigger, what do I lose?
Someone mentioned the Sirius/XM functionality.
Is this the case?
Old 02-17-2023, 11:04 PM
diceman725
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul S.
Diceman, if you or someone you know owns an OBD II reader like the Foxwell (there are a number of Foxwell models that are Porsche specific--I have the FOXWELL NT510 Elite-- you might try to clear the check engine and any other fault codes and see if the check engine light comes back. A dealer with a PWIS could also do that for you, some do and others do not charge for something that simple. RAC Performance in Addison used to do a reset for me, no charge. Just a thought
Ive got a reader. I can clear the CEL, but it returns shortly after restarting the vehicle.
Old 02-18-2023, 04:40 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by diceman725
Ive got a reader. I can clear the CEL, but it returns shortly after restarting the vehicle.

Just disconnect the Canbus PCCM plug, so PCCM does not interface to your 957
it was never tested with that model of Porsche, so don't connect the Canbus (yellow green plug), and then it's just a regular Android radio. with MOST interface

if your CEL still happens after that, it has nothing to do with PCCM

Last edited by svandamme; 02-18-2023 at 04:41 AM.
myw (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 12:52 PM
maxw
Instructor

I had an image.

if anything check your 6 pin connections, they are flimsy
I had a bad contact there as well. sometimes they don't seat properly and then inserting the 6 pin in PCCM pushes it out.. and any vibration then causes poor contact
you have to do the auto configure with camera and pin 6 triggered
so it detects it at least once, once it did that, you can test things out with the wiring, and each time 6 is triggered you get audible click as it switches over to the RCA feed
if no feed it displays an orange camera symbol
also reduces audio volume when it switches over
This was really helpful info to help me narrow it down mentioning the clicking (which now makes sense must be an internal relay). Turns out for whatever reason, when I put power to pin 6, I do hear the click and power DOES put power to pin 8 but in my case, only .022 volts. When I shift out of reverse, in a couple of seconds I hear the click and the .022 volts drops back to 0 volts (relay turns off). So it's not sending 12v and not enough to power the camera so it doesn't get detected.

I looked around in all the settings (holding down "Version Info" for 10 seconds) looking to see if there was an BIOS type settings to enable full power on pin 8 (or something of the like) and I didn't see anything. Only setting I see is camera detect/enable/disable and playing around with these settings, disabling and re-enabling didn't change the behavior - still only .022 volts coming out of pin 8.

I'm guessing the internal relay in my PCCM+ that manages this power output on pin 8 is bad and not functioning properly. My grounds and power sources are good. Anyone have any other thoughts/ideas?

Give all this, at this point seems I have no choice but to give up on trying to use pin 8 for camera power.

I tested jumping the trigger wire and camera power wire together in pin 6 - and this works. Only thing I see I wish wasn't there is when shifting out of reverse, the "no camera" icon flips on the screen for a split second before going back to the PCCM+ screen. I bet this would not happen if it was powered off pin pin 8 because I can hear and measured that the internal relay is delayed a bit turning power off to pin 8.

svandamme do you have that same behavior, when shifting out of reverse do you see "no camera" icon briefly? If so, this small detail could possibly be mitigated if powering off pin 8 (assuming your pin 8 outputs power properly!).
Old 02-18-2023, 01:42 PM
Racecar21
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any chance we can have someone put together a step by step to get the rear camera working on the pccm? I can’t tackle this myself and would love to give this information to an installer. Thanks
brudomen (02-19-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 03:40 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 564 Likes on 335 Posts

I tested jumping the trigger wire and camera power wire together in pin 6 - and this works. Only thing I see I wish wasn't there is when shifting out of reverse, the "no camera" icon flips on the screen for a split second before going back to the PCCM+ screen. I bet this would not happen if it was powered off pin pin 8 because I can hear and measured that the internal relay is delayed a bit turning power off to pin 8..
I noticed the exact issue your having re the split second delay where the camera isn’t powered yet when the camera is powered directly by the reverse trigger. But when the android pcm powers the camera directly, this issue dissappesrs….. and hence no more 1/2 second error acreen.

there is a 1/2 second hold re the android system NOT in reverse mode yet (upon receiving the rTrigger) while the android system powers the cam first…THEN clicks to the rear input mode.

There are indeed subtle working intricacies where everything is fine tuned to work to oem standards when the android pcm is in charge of powering the camera (as it should).

Last edited by myw; 02-18-2023 at 03:44 PM.
nikandriko (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 03:52 PM
diceman725
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Just disconnect the Canbus PCCM plug, so PCCM does not interface to your 957
it was never tested with that model of Porsche, so don't connect the Canbus (yellow green plug), and then it's just a regular Android radio. with MOST interface

if your CEL still happens after that, it has nothing to do with PCCM
Interesting. Will give it a try. thanks!
Old 02-18-2023, 04:16 PM
edz968s
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on getting it working! The reverse light wire is black with a blue stripe - here is a pic with passenger tail light removed and the correct wire (will solder it when done with testing and finalizing power source):
Thanks. Found this.
Thanks also to everyone for the info on getting this sorted.

Last edited by edz968s; 02-18-2023 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-18-2023, 04:39 PM
nikandriko
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

The 0.5sec delay and error convinced me to go with #2 setup for my camera.

Remind me, is pin8 the pin filed with the yellow cable?

Originally Posted by nikandriko

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request