Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2023, 07:01 PM
fritzcurtis
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I do have the updated map card. I have successfully copied it to another so if some need it.
Old 10-02-2023, 01:37 PM
Mfleahy
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Fritzcurtis,

We could take this offline if you like, but maybe others might benefit for a little more "data."

Just some comments based on my experience - I don't think the copying and sharing will work (aside from it being likely illegal). Did you copy the card before or after putting the original in the car? When you put it in the car, files and folders are written to the card (see my Post 1878.).

When I attempted to use a copy in the car, which I created AFTER using the original in the car, it went into a loop at "iGO is starting" and never came back. My guess is that the car writes security info onto the card and also knows enough to recognize a copy. When I got my first replacement, I don't remember if I imaged the SD card BEFORE putting it in and tried to use the copy. Looks like the cards have decent security against copying - certainly better than it is able to find the maps.

Does your copy actually work in your car? Mine wouldn't.

Can you share the folder/file directories on your SD card? Here are some of mine after the car has worked it over. A "virgin" SD card doesn't include folders "Android" or "LOST.DIR." And LOST.DIR looks suspicious, don't you think?

Top Level Folders.

Folder iGO directory

Folder iGO/Content directory

And finally, Folder iGO/Content/map just to show that all of the states are there.

Note that the Content folder is dated 8/11/22. Is yours any different?

I'm getting close to trying another replacement in the hopes of finally getting a good one. It would be good to know from file and folder dates what a good one looks like.

Old 10-02-2023, 02:51 PM
f50nut
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 76 Posts

There's definitely a bad batch of cards floating around. After trying two brand new cards from the dealer that produced the iGo startup loop, I started to suspect the head unit might defective, but the SA was sure I had a bad card. We got a third one in and it worked right away.
Old 10-05-2023, 04:40 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 503 Likes on 322 Posts

Any news when PCCM+ will be available for 9x7.2 cars ?
Old 10-05-2023, 05:00 PM
Mfleahy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ekam
Any news when PCCM+ will be available for 9x7.2 cars ?
If Porsche continues their Classic practices, the 987.2 version will come approximately 20 years after the 987.2 went on sale. That would be 2009 + 20 or so. By that "rule," the PCCM+ for 987.1 came a bit early I think.

Porsche does other things when a model gains Classic status, like manufacturing old parts again, so there is a lot involved.
Old 10-13-2023, 05:36 PM
dlascoskie
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dph928
No worries, this is the one I bought
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B09...b_b_asin_title

I’ve also done the mod to move the front usb to the rear and rear to front. I’ve got the socket in the glovebox that this plugs into. You’ll see my pics somewhere above in the thread (post #1901)
Ordered it from Amazon US and it arrived yesterday. So far no issues and I'm loving the wireless aspect of it. Going to give it some time to prove it's error free before swapping the usb ports and hiding it in the glovebox. Thanks again for the tip!
Here's a link to the one I bought in the US:
Amazon Amazon

Got it for $69 on prime day.

Last edited by dlascoskie; 10-13-2023 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-15-2023, 12:24 PM
medicus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have finally installed the PCCM Plus in my 997. It worked well and everything is going well. Unfortunately there is this noise in the speakers, which is constantly there as soon as the PCCM is started. As long as you listen to music, it's not a problem, but the noise is unfortunately also there if you completely lower the volume (mute). Anyone an idea?
No BOSE System.

Last edited by medicus; 10-15-2023 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-15-2023, 01:52 PM
sdharmani
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Status - shielding

@medicus - if you ran a backup camera cable, you need to shield it. It causes static that varies with engine rpm.

Originally Posted by medicus
I have finally installed the PCCM Plus in my 997. It worked well and everything is going well. Unfortunately there is this noise in the speakers, which is constantly there as soon as the PCCM is started. As long as you listen to music, it's not a problem, but the noise is unfortunately also there if you completely lower the volume (mute). Anyone an idea?
No BOSE System.
Old 10-16-2023, 10:45 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

I want to get a unit but need a painted bezel. I don’t want to disassemble myself. does anybody know somewhere that will sell me the unit painted or that I could send a unit to and they’ll disassemble and paint? Bumper plugs will not.
Old 10-17-2023, 12:21 AM
Lizard King
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What’s with huge NAV SD card that won’t fit the PCCM+?

I just installed my PCCM Plus in my ‘06 987.1/S.
It works, but guess what?
It took me hours to figure out that there’s a little micro SD card hidden inside the large SD card.
ARGH.
Although I had searched and searched, I couldn’t find anybody that was having a problem getting the software installed from the “large” SD form factor.
Am I the only person that bought the navigation software from Porsche classic?

This is stupid.

Last edited by Lizard King; 10-17-2023 at 12:36 AM. Reason: I figured it out.
Old 10-17-2023, 09:17 AM
Mfleahy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lizard King
I just installed my PCCM Plus in my ‘06 987.1/S.
It works, but guess what?
It took me hours to figure out that there’s a little micro SD card hidden inside the large SD card.
ARGH.
Although I had searched and searched, I couldn’t find anybody that was having a problem getting the software installed from the “large” SD form factor.
Am I the only person that bought the navigation software from Porsche classic?

This is stupid.
Have you pulled out the Micro SD card and inserted it? The PCCM+ should find it after a few seconds. There's no "install" other than that.

The real problem is that there is a large batch of bad cards that can't access any state after NY alphabetically. If you can't enter a destination in TX, OK, etc., then you have a "bad" card and will need to exchange it. Otherwise, you should be good to go.

Last edited by Mfleahy; 10-17-2023 at 09:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Lizard King (11-06-2023)
Old 10-17-2023, 09:24 AM
Manzione
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Repeated.

Last edited by Manzione; 10-17-2023 at 09:43 AM.
Lizard King (11-06-2023)
Old 10-17-2023, 09:42 AM
Manzione
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys! Greetings from Brazil.

I might be the only one that has a PCCM+ installed into a 997 here. The Unit in our country is too expensive so I doubt that we have another crazy person installing it here (mine I got from Spain during a trip)

I want to report an issue that I've been facing to (1) register here to Porsche Classic and (2) see if my colleagues can help (or are facing the same issue).

I've installed the whole pack for EU, meaning the FM Boosters, the FM adapter underneath the dash, the media with MOST, just like the videos and the posts here. And everything went well.

Until.........

The sound started stuttering. When I was still testing the media in APP mode (android auto) the music started gasping a lot. I went back to Radio and it was the same. Until one point that it muted completely.

I went through all the installation again, re-checked all the wires and suddenly it started working again. My first thought was that it was a connector issue (not well plugged). Then, I finished up the installation, closed everything and it was done.

Next morning, going to work with the car, listening to music, it started doing it all over again. First it starts with minor glitches, just like a lack of Internet connection on Spotify (which is not the case, as the musics are downloaded). Then, it starts stuttering big time, until the sound stops completely (again, both in APP and Tuner)

Went back home and was thinking what could possibly be. I had three possible causes: (1) the PCCM itself (2) The MOST adapter and (3) the original amp. Then I started thinking how to test the system. To test the MOST adapter and the AMP could be simple if we take into consideration that both work together. Then I saw that the PCCM has an analog output. This could be the way to test if it is the unit only or if there is anything else into the whole audio system.

I got an analog cable/adapter and plugged into an external speaker. This would allow me to confirm, when the problem starts, if it would be a fiber optic issue or the unit itself (I had already eliminated the AMP from the possibilities when I plugged the original radio to check for static, which it had). I found out that the system is "intelligent" enough to understand when the fiber optics are installed or not, as the speaker would not work when the MOST is being used. On the other hand, if you unplug the MOST cable, the speaker takes a while but starts playing again.

Then, with this "testing board" in hand, I used the car again, to see if, once I faced the problem, if I switched to analog, it would continue working (meaning that it is a MOST issue) or it would do the same (unit issue). It started doing the same again (still into MOST) and when I changed to analog it first didn't work (maybe because of the intelligent selection of output). After 1 minute or so (waiting for the tuner) I went back to Android Auto and hit play, and it started working again. But not for long. 5 minutes later, on the analog output, it did the same. So the MOST was not the issue.

Now I have a brand new PCCM+ that stutters after a while playing music, with no sound afterwards. Did any of you have experienced similar issue?

Additional notes:
The stuttering for me seems like a digital glitch, like a "loading cache" that isn't working, It does not seem like an electronic issue (just like bad capacitors), although I would not exclude this.
One thing that I've noticed is when the problem starts, the Radio Stations have a problem on updating the name (it only shows the dial number, as opposed to the name of the station, when it is working fine.

Additional testing:
I still have to go through two additional tests, as I am in Brazil:
(a) I've just removed the antenna connector from the media, as one of my suspicion is that it might be related to Radio Waves and how the unit is receiving them
(b) Linked to the above, I will also reinstall the original FM Boosters and remove the little cable/adapter (so the antenna is at its original state).

Old 10-17-2023, 03:16 PM
Wcube
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by medicus
No BOSE System.
I have the PCCM Plus installed in my non-Bose 997 as well. My system has the noise as well, noticeable at mute and goes away or is masked when music is playing. I recently ran RCA outputs to an aftermarket amplifier, and bypassed the head unit power altogether. What I noticed is that I was able to dial out the noise by decreasing the amplifier gains. My theory is that the internal PCCM Plus amplification gains are set high enough to create the noise.
medicus (10-18-2023)
Old 10-18-2023, 10:51 AM
medicus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wcube
I have the PCCM Plus installed in my non-Bose 997 as well. My system has the noise as well, noticeable at mute and goes away or is masked when music is playing. I recently ran RCA outputs to an aftermarket amplifier, and bypassed the head unit power altogether. What I noticed is that I was able to dial out the noise by decreasing the amplifier gains. My theory is that the internal PCCM Plus amplification gains are set high enough to create the noise.
Thank you for your feedback. Do you think it is possible to lower the internal PCCM Plus amplification gains to stop the noise?

Last edited by medicus; 10-18-2023 at 10:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request