Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 02:58 AM
TLoc
AutoX

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

JustinCase Mega thanks. I'll take a print of your reply when I go to the garage tomorrow and discuss with the engineers. Lets see what they come up with. I'll post my response. In this country we don't seem to have any recognition of the problem. If you have no objection I'll post a copy of your reply on the Porsche UK club members forum.

Last edited by TLoc; 02-23-2023 at 03:04 AM.
Old 02-23-2023, 04:48 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by TLoc
Can anybody help. Posted on the 997 turbo forum but a quick summary here. My media player still not working properly playing music from a memory stick in USB. Contacted the dealership and the car is going back again on Friday for further investigation. Since the garage people and I had difficulties trying to find a way to resolve the problem a week ago, and possible solutions were not available, it appears the issue is not a simple one. For this reason I also contacted Porsche UK who are now getting their technical people to see if the problem has occurred in other cars or if it is just a problem with my unit. Basically the memory stick works in my BMW but getting albums listed and playing in the Porsche is problematic.

One reader on the Porsche Club UK asked if it could read media on my phone via the USB cable. I don't play music over my mobile phone connected to USB. I have my preferred albums which I load on the stick. Put it down to my age. Never had problems playing them before. They worked perfectly with the Dension Gateway 500 link connected to the original PCCM provided I did not go above 32GB loading and the sticks work in the new BMW. I have tried different sticks and all worked on the Dension and BMW but none work properly on the new PCCM plus system.

It has been suggested that the software doesn't recognise the folder structure the music is stored in?

I think that this is a possibility. It will be interesting to see if other owners have experienced this issue with memory sticks. I have not seen it reported in any other sites but I think most people play music with their phones. However, since Porsche claim you can play music (MP3 files) on the new unit they must have tested this in development. If that is the case what am I doing incorrectly and why do the sticks work on other units? Of course it could just be a fault with my unit and Porsche have no experience of this issue.

its very finicky on certain sticks as mentioned before, and covered in the Q&A
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...diy-guide.html
and repeated by justincase, good folder strcuturre, FAT 32 and MP3 tags, 32 GB usb sticks are best

And you also cannot do edits on the USB stick and expect PCCM to pick up on it, change the volume name each time you do an edit

Also you need a good usb stick, some get zapped and no longer show up.
I had a working one, did some usb port experiment, it got zapped and no longer worked : It worked in all pc's except in the PCCM.

Get another one, new, like a sandisk cruzer, max 32GB in size. and it should work

Note, I really get the idea that nobody botheres to go through the thread for already answered questions
if they did ,they would come across the links to the guide which has all the info you need

The following users liked this post:
myw (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 06:30 AM
TLoc
AutoX

Originally Posted by svandamme
its very finicky on certain sticks as mentioned before, and covered in the Q&A
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...diy-guide.html
and repeated by justincase, good folder strcuturre, FAT 32 and MP3 tags, 32 GB usb sticks are best

And you also cannot do edits on the USB stick and expect PCCM to pick up on it, change the volume name each time you do an edit

Also you need a good usb stick, some get zapped and no longer show up.
I had a working one, did some usb port experiment, it got zapped and no longer worked : It worked in all pc's except in the PCCM.

Get another one, new, like a sandisk cruzer, max 32GB in size. and it should work

Note, I really get the idea that nobody botheres to go through the thread for already answered questions
if they did ,they would come across the links to the guide which has all the info you need
Thanks for the extra information. I have tried Sandisk and cruzer sticks even down to 16GB. I am reformating a stick to Fat 32 and all my files are MP3 so interesting to see if it works. Also thanks for the link to the Q&A section, I did not look there. I am finding there are so many different sub forums I don't have the experience to seek out where the relevant information can be found. At my age keeping up with the technology is difficult. When I got my PhD in science 50 years ago there were no mobile phones or computers, let alone social networks unless you wrote letters. However when we were developing electron microscopes in the university we did do thorough development testing for corporations before they were commercially released. I am not sure that is the case thewses days.
Old 02-23-2023, 06:46 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 564 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by OmairK
Does anyone know what the status of the 997.2/987.2 PCCM+ release dates are?
Your guess is as good as anyone’s - but based on the pattern so far re release dates I’m saying 2025/2026.

iMo they will need a lot more then an 7” screen + CarPlay considering the current pcm 3.0 already has very good aftermarket board add ons supporting reverse cam + CarPlay already.

One thing for sure, it’ll be another Chinese android box for them to cut costs + maximize profits

Last edited by myw; 02-23-2023 at 06:48 AM.
Old 02-23-2023, 07:07 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the extra information. I have tried Sandisk and cruzer sticks even down to 16GB. I am reformating a stick to Fat 32 and all my files are MP3 so interesting to see if it works. Also thanks for the link to the Q&A section, I did not look there. I am finding there are so many different sub forums I don't have the experience to seek out where the relevant information can be found. At my age keeping up with the technology is difficult. When I got my PhD in science 50 years ago there were no mobile phones or computers, let alone social networks unless you wrote letters. However when we were developing electron microscopes in the university we did do thorough development testing for corporations before they were commercially released. I am not sure that is the case thewses days.
Reformatting does diddly on a stick that has been zapped.

Mine worked
Got shorted zapped whatever

Since.. dead to pccm
fine on pc.. formatting does nothing

Its like the stick fails on hw level to pccm

new cruzer worked out of the box

Old 02-23-2023, 07:58 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinCase

This is the Artist selection screen.
You had me with this artist list until Jame Taylor.....What?
Old 02-23-2023, 08:34 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myw
Your guess is as good as anyone’s - but based on the pattern so far re release dates I’m saying 2025/2026.

iMo they will need a lot more then an 7” screen + CarPlay considering the current pcm 3.0 already has very good aftermarket board add ons supporting reverse cam + CarPlay already.

One thing for sure, it’ll be another Chinese android box for them to cut costs + maximize profits
I don't really see the point for PCM 3.0? if it alreayd has Carplay, BT audio and reverse camera... Other than SatNav maps.. what can they do?? add an inch of LCD??? seems low ROI to me.
They won't be able to uplift the car as much as 2.1 to PCCM does
They can't make it a glass cockpit with a head unit upgrade

Seriously, what is the main problem to solve on PCM 3.0 ? asking for real , I don't have one
myw (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 09:23 AM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

JustinCase Mega thanks. I'll take a print of your reply when I go to the garage tomorrow and discuss with the engineers. Lets see what they come up with. I'll post my response. In this country we don't seem to have any recognition of the problem. If you have no objection I'll post a copy of your reply on the Porsche UK club members forum.
Go ahead. The more attention to this problem, the more likely it will be resolved properly.
Old 02-23-2023, 09:28 AM
JustinCase
Racer

Originally Posted by Steven C.
You had me with this artist list until Jame Taylor.....What?
Well, my wife . . .
Steven C. (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 10:07 AM
TLoc
AutoX

Go ahead. The more attention to this problem, the more likely it will be resolved properly.
Thanks and done. Had a lady who is a Personal Case Manager for the UK Porsche Customer Interaction Centre which works on behalf of Porsche Cars Great Britain Limited, telephone me and we had a long discussion on this issue. I must admit she was very supportive.
Her group have raised a problem report which initially goes to Porsche classic UK then hopefully onto to Germany. The UK groups initial suggestion was reformat the stick but I informed them of your information and I sent them a copy of your reply to my problem. In addition I have posted your reply on the Porsche Club UK and have already ready received a response from a member suggesting
you can just ’drag’ all the files from the computer to my i-phone, transfering them to ITunes and then sync my phone with PCCM. He suggests it is 100 x easier than following the process above. However, I replied that one reason I purchased the new PCCM was its claimed ability to play music from a USB stick. If I have to download all my music onto my phone, although a solution, it is not what I expected. Porsche really need to sort out this issue.
JustinCase (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 10:39 AM
maxw
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

No disrespect to any of you guys trying to get the USB MP3 music files working the way you want. Agree this should be working as advertised. That said, if you haven't tried the streaming services like Spotify or Apple Music I highly suggest giving it a shot.

I'm all about not wasting money, but the expense for these services is very reasonable. Annualize the cost and it's just not that material. They give you access to pretty much everything and anything new as it comes out. I'll admit I don't listen to a lot of new music, but it's been more about about having access to "new to me" albums I never got from the genre/time period - filling in the missing albums of some favorite artists I didn't have or had at one time and lost. And if a favorite artist does drop a new release, I have it right away. And if there is some new music I want to check out (maybe something new will be good??!!) it's great to be able to just grab the album and try it out. No hassles, can get working on pretty much anything, no file management, quality versions, album art, lyrics, etc. Really a small investment for anyone into music - you're likely wasting more money on much less important things if you think about it.

If you have some artists that are local or more rare and just not on the streaming services - I get that this won't fly. But those could always be ones you just keep the music files on your phone and play through CarPlay or Android Audio.
The following 3 users liked this post by maxw:
dlascoskie (02-23-2023), MaxPoodling (02-23-2023), myw (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 10:41 AM
MaxPoodling
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MDA1234
2) For some reason, it took me forever to realize there was a gray plastic protector on the female connector for the MOST unit. I went back and forth trying to figure out if I had wired things incorrectly, only to eventually discover that I just needed to remove the gray protective thing and pop the orange-ish fiber optic cable right into the MOST unit.
I, uh, never realized this. I never connected the MOST loop, but the unit seems to work fine. Pardon my ignorance, but what does that part do? Should I go back in and install it?

(During my install I found my car had a bunch of wiring already done and removed a box that had been facilitating the cable that led to the Bovee I was using. The whole DVD removal section of the install was already done as well. Perhaps whatever this MOST loop does was already done on my car lower down on the loom?)

Last edited by MaxPoodling; 02-23-2023 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-23-2023, 10:47 AM
maxw
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxPoodling
I, uh, never realized this. I never connected the MOST loop, but the unit seems to work fine. Pardon my ignorance, but what does that part do?

(During my install I found my car had a bunch of wiring already done and removed a box that had been facilitating the cable that led to the Bovee I was using. The whole DVD removal section of the install was already done as well. Perhaps whatever this MOST loop does was already done on my car lower down on the loom?)
Others can clarify this - but I didn't need the MOST box (the black box you put in the tray) or the MOST fiber loop. I believe these are items you only need if you're system is Bose. If you're non-Bose and using the factory ASK amp, maybe is needed? I'm using an aftermarket amp and my car's PCM didn't have Bose and I didn't need either of these items.
MaxPoodling (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 11:41 AM
JustinCase
Racer

Originally Posted by maxw
No disrespect to any of you guys trying to get the USB MP3 music files working the way you want. Agree this should be working as advertised. That said, if you haven't tried the streaming services like Spotify or Apple Music I highly suggest giving it a shot.
This discussion serves mostly to reveal the generation of each poster. For the record (pun intended), I don't buy MP3 music, or pay for music much in any form anymore. Like many other old duffers, I already had an extensive legacy CD collection I like to listen to in my car and don't need to pay a service to hear. I also have a digitizing turntable so I can move my many, many original vinyl records into any environment I want. Hey, I just thought of something! The turntable has a USB output -- I bet I could plug my *turntable* into the PCCM+ and play my records directly! After all, vinyl seems to be making a comeback.

Seriously, and to the last point of your post, it's hard to find a copy of my daughter's middle school jazz band concerts, hear my grandfather practice a sermon, or listen in on a legacy interview with my grandmother and great aunt about family on Spotify. Also, I used to have an employee who was a wicked Blues guitarist (and good cabinet face frame builder) who provided me with CDs he had cut which are likewise not published at the level of the streaming services.

You sound like my son. He's a good man, but a product of his generation.
The following 3 users liked this post by JustinCase:
fritzcurtis (02-23-2023), Nova997 (02-23-2023), TLoc (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 11:55 AM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

This discussion serves mostly to reveal the generation of each poster. For the record (pun intended), I don't buy MP3 music, or pay for music much in any form anymore. Like many other old duffers, I already had an extensive legacy CD collection I like to listen to in my car and don't need to pay a service to hear. I also have a digitizing turntable so I can move my many, many original vinyl records into any environment I want. Hey, I just thought of something! The turntable has a USB output -- I bet I could plug my *turntable* into the PCCM+ and play my records directly! After all, vinyl seems to be making a comeback.

Seriously, and to the last point of your post, it's hard to find a copy of my daughter's middle school jazz band concerts, hear my grandfather practice a sermon, or listen in on a legacy interview with my grandmother and great aunt about family on Spotify. Also, I used to have an employee who was a wicked Blues guitarist (and good cabinet face frame builder) who provided me with CDs he had cut which are likewise not published at the level of the streaming services.

You sound like my son. He's a good man, but a product of his generation.
ITunes Match would allow you to stream any of those from any location with your phone, tablet, or computer, so long as you had synched them with your library. No need for CDs, USB sticks, etc.
myw (02-23-2023)

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request