Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2023, 08:36 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 567 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by diceman725
Is that confirmed? The SD card for the Cayenne's has been recalled?
Stated on the cayenne forum - believed from phone call to porsche dealer.

Tbh - this is the smaller issue as the pccm+a just were never tested in the cars in real life - a CEL comes on for the 955s from the pccm+.

the canBus programming for the porsche specific features is causing the CEL and while they are are trying to code it out via the piwis - it doesn’t work. Imho it’s just a matter of time before all 955 pccm+ will get a recall and all the firmware will get a reflash.

had internet not been purposely disabled on the these units , i believe there could have been potentially another way.
The following 2 users liked this post by myw:
JustinCase (02-25-2023), medicus (02-25-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 09:55 AM
diceman725
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
Stated on the cayenne forum - believed from phone call to porsche dealer.

Tbh - this is the smaller issue as the pccm+a just were never tested in the cars in real life - a CEL comes on for the 955s from the pccm+.

the canBus programming for the porsche specific features is causing the CEL and while they are are trying to code it out via the piwis - it doesn’t work. Imho it’s just a matter of time before all 955 pccm+ will get a recall and all the firmware will get a reflash.

had internet not been purposely disabled on the these units , i believe there could have been potentially another way.
got it. Thanks. Id read that as well on the cayenne forum. Just didnt know if it had been confirmed separately. Im one of those 957 owners with the CEL problem waiting on whatever resolution Porsche is going to figure out.

Last edited by diceman725; 02-25-2023 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-25-2023, 03:12 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Someone else may have already confirmed this but it appears the PCCM + usb port continues to draw power even when the car is locked. So don’t leave the cable plugged in. Annoying.
Old 02-25-2023, 03:46 PM
snowtx1
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

for the people that have installed a camera with a manual 997, which model did you use? The only one that I've seen mentioned is this one from Rydeen, the CM-LIP4. Has anyone else successfully used a different model? Thx.
Amazon Amazon
Old 02-25-2023, 06:16 PM
Bavarian 997
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfnado
Someone else may have already confirmed this but it appears the PCCM + usb port continues to draw power even when the car is locked. So don’t leave the cable plugged in. Annoying.
That means you can‘t let your wireless Carplay dongle plugged in without having your battery being drained or am I getting something wrong?
Old 02-25-2023, 06:19 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bavarian 997
That means you can‘t let your wireless Carplay dongle plugged in without having your battery being drained or am I getting something wrong?
Someone else may know better than me but my assumption was a USB cable is not smart enough to detect when it’s plugged into something like a phone so if my phone is charging while the car is off and locked then my guess is that even when I unplug my phone the cable is still drawing power from the PCCM. But maybe I am an idiot and don’t understand electricity. All I know is this morning I left my cable plugged in while I went to breakfast and the car had trouble starting after.
Old 02-26-2023, 02:52 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 81 Posts

Someone else may know better than me but my assumption was a USB cable is not smart enough to detect when it’s plugged into something like a phone so if my phone is charging while the car is off and locked then my guess is that even when I unplug my phone the cable is still drawing power from the PCCM. But maybe I am an idiot and don’t understand electricity. All I know is this morning I left my cable plugged in while I went to breakfast and the car had trouble starting after.
how long did you leave it.
a usb port with a phone on iy cannot draw more power than it takes to charge the phone

so roughly 5 ah on a 90ah battery should not kill it

How old is your cars battery?

Last edited by svandamme; 02-26-2023 at 02:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by svandamme:
bxstrCA (02-26-2023), Summerjack (03-04-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 02:58 AM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by svandamme
how long did you leave it.
a usb port with a phone on iy cannot draw more power than it takes to charge the phone

so roughly 5 ah on a 90ah battery should not kill it

How old is your cars battery?
No, you’re misunderstanding. There was no phone plugged into the cable. It was a cable plugged into the USB port on the PCCM+. The car was parked for an hour.
Old 02-26-2023, 03:18 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

No, you’re misunderstanding. There was no phone plugged into the cable. It was a cable plugged into the USB port on the PCCM+. The car was parked for an hour.

A cable just extends the 4 contacts..if there is nothing om the cable ..there is no drawn.

Its like a mains socket with an extension cord..nothing happens. Not relevant to your car not starting
The following 2 users liked this post by svandamme:
dlascoskie (02-27-2023), myw (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 06:10 AM
Bavarian 997
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

But what happens if a wireless Carplay Dongle like the CarlinKit is connected. Does that drain the battery? Would be interesting to know.
Old 02-26-2023, 07:19 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

But what happens if a wireless Carplay Dongle like the CarlinKit is connected. Does that drain the battery? Would be interesting to know.

Well thats not just a cable is it.. thats a device.
You'de have to check what the device draws in standby mode or whatever state it is when there is no phone active

I doubt it will drain a 90 Ah battery faster than the PCCM+ does on its own

You guys do realize that the PCCM is powered, at all times, right?
It probably draws way more than those dongles ever will.

And there is no way a good working car battery can be drawn down by it to have starting problems in 1 hour.
this is just a silly discussion

Last edited by svandamme; 02-26-2023 at 07:21 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by svandamme:
bxstrCA (02-26-2023), dlascoskie (02-27-2023), myw (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 10:36 AM
maxw
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Someone else may have already confirmed this but it appears the PCCM + usb port continues to draw power even when the car is locked. So don’t leave the cable plugged in. Annoying. .... There was no phone plugged into the cable. It was a cable plugged into the USB port on the PCCM+. The car was parked for an hour.
When my phone is plugged into the USB (for CarPlay) and the PCCM+ is turned on - the phone is charging (whether the ignition is turned on or off). When the PCCM+ is turned off, the phone stops charging. So seems clear the USB is not sending any power when the PCCM+ is turned off - so whether the USB is connected to a phone or a wireless CarPlay dongle it shouldn't be using any power.

I also did a parasitic draw test with the PCCM+ connected (but turned off) versus disconnected (unplugged power harness of back of PCCM+) and saw no material difference in power draw with the PCCM+ connected - so I don't think there is anything to the comments about the PCCM+ causing battery drain issues.

As svandamme eloquently noted Alfnado, your issue sounds like something else. I'd have your battery tested - it may just be going bad.
The following 2 users liked this post by maxw:
fritzcurtis (02-26-2023), myw (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 10:53 AM
bxstrCA
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

So now I have the PCCM+ but no installation instructions. I'm replacing a head unit that I just bought last spring that has no tactile buttons; everything is touchscreen and this was the breaking point for me (plus losing the nav prompts in the cluster). I did the installation myself (amp too) routed wires and added a salvaged Bose deck in the rear. Sound is now excellent (I'm an audiophile, not a 20 yr old sound pressure competitor ). So understanding the installation will be key for my application. Does anyone have links to documentation? My searches aren't finding anything. Porsche is doing what any dealer would do: force you through their service department. I prefer to be hands on with this, but wanted to see if anyone had links before attempting 'blindly'.

BTW: I'm replacing a head unit (Pioneer) with wired/wireless CarPlay. The phone stays wired all the time for two reasons: Nav sucks power and the head unit is glitchy when it comes to connecting for wireless CarPlay (I use the reenlist magnetic holder which looks clean and is very functional - the wire is unobtrusive and is fed out via the glovebox). So leaving the phone plugged in isn't an issue IMO. I have yet to experience a wireless CarPlay that works flawlessly or even works 95% of the time, without some restarting etc.
Old 02-26-2023, 10:55 AM
bxstrCA
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for testing that. I would have expected your findings. It's nice to have the confirmation!
Old 02-26-2023, 11:02 AM
maxw
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TLoc
.... On this site views are polarised and can get quite abusive. CD/USB stick vs Mobile phone. It is not generational and really it is not the issue. ....
I made some comments that some may want to consider trying one of the streaming services not to be disrespectful (as I noted), but just sharing my positive experience with it as someone who has been down both roads. I can certainly understand the desire to avoid paying for another service - I'm just saying I feel it's well worth it. Makes life a lot easier and opens the door to a lot more new/different music than you may be listening to otherwise. Cool feature I've liked with Apple Music is that it'll auto-generate a personalized "radio station" based on music you tend to listen to. This is a frequent go-to for me - surfaces songs I had not heard in a long time or exposes me to new things I like (which I can then go download the full album/s of the artist). Regardless - nobody needs to act on or take offense to the suggestion - just trying to help here.

The second issue is I can control a selected album on the PCCM but if I want to change the album I have to use the phone. Now if I try and use a hand held phone whilst driving it is illegal in my country. So you have to stop the car.
If you were using CarPlay or Android Auto, you change songs/albums from the PCCM - you don't need to do it from your phone. Could even use a voice assistant if wanted (which of course isn't perfect) so something like "hey Siri, play XYZ" - so no concerns about having to grab the phone.

Where do I store the phone so it or the cable doesn't get in the way of the gear lever.
Agree - wish there was a USB connection in the back so I could route a wire to the center console to put the phone there so it's hidden and secured. My solution for now is to put my phone in the glove box - just looks dumb having the wire from the USB going over to it.

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request