Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 11:58 AM
MaxPoodling
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinCase
The turntable has a USB output -- I bet I could plug my *turntable* into the PCCM+ and play my records directly! After all, vinyl seems to be making a comeback.

Seriously, and to the last point of your post, it's hard to find a copy of my daughter's middle school jazz band concerts, hear my grandfather practice a sermon, or listen in on a legacy interview with my grandmother and great aunt about family on Spotify. Also, I used to have an employee who was a wicked Blues guitarist (and good cabinet face frame builder) who provided me with CDs he had cut which are likewise not published at the level of the streaming services.
I love this idea for a mobile turntable. What could possibly go wrong? It's not like we use our back seats that much anyway, there's tons of room there.

As for the personal recordings, I would think it would be far easier to just put those on your phone and play via Bluetooth or wired CarPlay/AA, as Max mentioned. That way you have them with you all the time, not just on a USB stick that's sticking out of your dash. Now, if you're still using the CD changer... I think sticking with the original PCM might be the move - something about cake and earing it too.
Old 02-23-2023, 12:24 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 81 Posts

I doubt the turntable produces a file system, instead it will show up as an audiodevice which PCCM won't recognize... no dice.
Old 02-23-2023, 12:31 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 601 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfnado
ITunes Match would allow you to stream any of those from any location with your phone, tablet, or computer, so long as you had synched them with your library. No need for CDs, USB sticks, etc.
i remember ripping cds in the late 90s and organizing mp3 cds in the early 2000s… eventually dumping all that into iTunes - and then wasting phone space for the iTunes mp3 music transfer.

thank goodness for Spotify a few years back.
The following 2 users liked this post by myw:
dlascoskie (02-23-2023), maxw (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 01:10 PM
TLoc
AutoX

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

As an old codger I have so many old CDs which I have been able to play in all my cars except with my now "updated" 997. In desperation I have found a way to download all the files on to my i phone and then use apple carplay but I don't like it. I also don't like having to pay a monthly service charge which doesn't give me exactly the music I like to play. Especially when I have an extensive library of tunes. I agree it can be a generational thing but our son with all his Cambridge University degrees, including an electronic PhD, is very uneasy about using the latest phones for security reasons. The real issue is Porsche claim you can use a memory stick to play music. That is only partially true. It has to be resolved!!!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
MaxPoodling (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 02:04 PM
maxw
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinCase
This discussion serves mostly to reveal the generation of each poster. For the record (pun intended), I don't buy MP3 music, or pay for music much in any form anymore. Like many other old duffers, I already had an extensive legacy CD collection I like to listen to in my car and don't need to pay a service to hear. I also have a digitizing turntable so I can move my many, many original vinyl records into any environment I want. Hey, I just thought of something! The turntable has a USB output -- I bet I could plug my *turntable* into the PCCM+ and play my records directly! After all, vinyl seems to be making a comeback.

Seriously, and to the last point of your post, it's hard to find a copy of my daughter's middle school jazz band concerts, hear my grandfather practice a sermon, or listen in on a legacy interview with my grandmother and great aunt about family on Spotify. Also, I used to have an employee who was a wicked Blues guitarist (and good cabinet face frame builder) who provided me with CDs he had cut which are likewise not published at the level of the streaming services.

You sound like my son. He's a good man, but a product of his generation.
Funny - you may be surprised to know I not only have a decent sized CD collection (wasting space in a box in storage), but also a pile of tapes (didn't keep any of my old vinyl records). The car I learned to drive in that was not old had an 8-track player in it! So I may be older than you...

I used to do what you're doing - after giving the streaming service a free trial a few years ago (I actually use Apple Music) I never turned back - to me it's a WAY better experience.

The stuff you note you can't get on a streaming service - I doubt you're gonna listen to those kind of things in your Porsche.

All good though - some old dogs can't learn new tricks! Just say'n you may wanna consider giving it a shot...

Last edited by maxw; 02-23-2023 at 02:10 PM.
dlascoskie (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 02:25 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by maxw
Others can clarify this - but I didn't need the MOST box (the black box you put in the tray) or the MOST fiber loop. I believe these are items you only need if you're system is Bose. If you're non-Bose and using the factory ASK amp, maybe is needed? I'm using an aftermarket amp and my car's PCM didn't have Bose and I didn't need either of these items.
If I recall earlier posts in this thread correctly from when I was planning my install, you will need the MOST box connected if you have the ASK amp. When I installed the PCCM+ into my non-Bose, ASK amp 997, I used it.
MaxPoodling (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 03:42 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 805 Likes on 453 Posts

I also had thousands of CDs. I pared it back to about one thousand. I sold off records and gave away tapes to cut down on the hassle of moving around 98. I tried to transfer it all to iTunes and for the most part around 2002, that works fine...but I do wish PCCM would still allow the CD changer to function. I know it is silly because I can store my entire music collection on my iPhone. Maybe I will just have to adjust. In any case, I haven't gotten to the point where I will pay a subscription to stream. I also still listen to full albums, so streaming single songs isn't really for me either. If I shuffle, I shuffle albums. I still want the PCCM but if I won't subscribe to streaming. I would rather just drive with earbuds in.
maxw (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 04:07 PM
TLoc
AutoX

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Funny - you may be surprised to know I not only have a decent sized CD collection (wasting space in a box in storage), but also a pile of tapes (didn't keep any of my old vinyl records). The car I learned to drive in that was not old had an 8-track player in it! So I may be older than you...

I used to do what you're doing - after giving the streaming service a free trial a few years ago (I actually use Apple Music) I never turned back - to me it's a WAY better experience.

The stuff you note you can't get on a streaming service - I doubt you're gonna listen to those kind of things in your Porsche.

All good though - some old dogs can't learn new tricks! Just say'n you may wanna consider giving it a shot...
As an example of an old dog this is why I would like the USB memory stick function to work. I'll give you one example of some Blues music I regularly play in my Porsche and my other cars. Many, many years ago I had to visit, every few months, Singapore. There I met an American plumber who also had a group which regularly played at night in a bar in downtown Singapore and also in the American club usually after 2:00am. I was impressed by the music. One evening I said I would like to employ his group for an event in Vienna. Of course it was late at night so he did not believe me and in the interval he rang the London telephone number I gave him. It was morning their time and one of my staff told him that since I was the boss it had to be true. Months later we flew him and his group to Austria where they played after a major dinner function to hundreds of people from around the world. They were a great hit. As a token of kindness he kindly cut a CD of their music specifically for me. I have other examples and I am sure many tunes can be found on streaming services, but believe me, some of my most enjoyable and memorable works are mine and mine alone. As an aside I have loaded many of my CDs on my i phone so can play them in apple carplay in the Porsche. It just takes almost 100GB storage memory on the i phone 14 promax. I just wish that the memory stick function worked, it would be much easier.

The following 3 users liked this post by TLoc:
JustinCase (02-23-2023), maxw (02-23-2023), myw (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 07:34 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
i remember ripping cds in the late 90s and organizing mp3 cds in the early 2000s… eventually dumping all that into iTunes - and then wasting phone space for the iTunes mp3 music transfer.

thank goodness for Spotify a few years back.
You don’t need to waste any phone space for iTunes Match. It’s $25 a year and mirrors your entire collection via cloud streaming. You can download for offline use. It’s great for people like me who have a lot of stuff that is not available on streaming websites.
myw (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 08:49 PM
Nova997
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

For those that are cringing at the thought of someone using a USB stick or wishing that their CD changer would still work with PCCM+, let's remember that our 997s are anywhere from 11 to 18 years old. I have no intention of giving up my 997 for a more modern 991 or 992, I prefer my 997. Likewise, everyone shouldn't believe they need go with the most current music delivery system. Determining how they use their PCCM+ in a way that it works best for them should be all that counts (imo).

Last edited by Nova997; 02-23-2023 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-23-2023, 11:09 PM
nikandriko
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Wonder where we left things off with the rear usb port. I remember that either the PCCM Media box (from 996 pccm plus) or the modified Subaru cable could charge the phone and play mp3 files but no CarPlay. It had been concluded that the android firmware would need to be modified to enable this port.
I have two questions on this:
  1. Would Porsche ever think of upgrading the software (including the firmware) for their android-based unit? - Personally I think it’s unlikely.
  2. If not, is there anything we can do as a community? Replicate the software as an open source project starting from blank vanilla android code base? Shall we gather some amount of money and enable 1-2 android-car-knowledgeable developers to build a public github repo replicating the pccm’s s/w functionality (and then extending it)? I think this could unlock a lot of value down the road for pccm+ if software became open source and could be upgraded to the latest version of android.

Last edited by nikandriko; 02-23-2023 at 11:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by nikandriko:
jgoga (02-24-2023), medicus (02-24-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 11:41 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Nova997
For those that are cringing at the thought of someone using a USB stick or wishing that their CD changer would still work with PCCM+, let's remember that our 997s are anywhere from 11 to 18 years old. I have no intention of giving up my 997 for a more modern 991 or 992, I prefer my 997. Likewise, everyone shouldn't believe they need go with the most current music delivery system. Determining how they use their PCCM+ in a way that it works best for them should be all that counts (imo).
No one is cringing. We’re suggesting ways to maximize the benefits of modern technology.
Summerjack (03-04-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 12:20 AM
Carrera01
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Others can clarify this - but I didn't need the MOST box (the black box you put in the tray) or the MOST fiber loop. I believe these are items you only need if you're system is Bose. If you're non-Bose and using the factory ASK amp, maybe is needed? I'm using an aftermarket amp and my car's PCM didn't have Bose and I didn't need either of these items.
Does all the car data and information appear if the Most box is not included? Also, the new features such as daytime running light,s AirCon preferred settings on turn on etc etc do they work?
Old 02-24-2023, 04:05 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera01
Does all the car data and information appear if the Most box is not included? Also, the new features such as daytime running light,s AirCon preferred settings on turn on etc etc do they work?

MOST is not used for Canbus, Canbus is hte yellow/Green connector, if that one is not connected, no trip computer, or automatic pccm startup
Old 02-24-2023, 09:21 AM
Nova997
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfnado
No one is cringing. We’re suggesting ways to maximize the benefits of modern technology.
so you'll be trading your 997 in for a 992 shortly since it has the benefits of modern technology.

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request