Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 10:45 AM
moe01325
Track Day

Received 43 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nikandriko
Wonder where we left things off with the rear usb port. I remember that either the PCCM Media box (from 996 pccm plus) or the modified Subaru cable could charge the phone and play mp3 files but no CarPlay. It had been concluded that the android firmware would need to be modified to enable this port.
I have two questions on this:
  1. Would Porsche ever think of upgrading the software (including the firmware) for their android-based unit? - Personally I think it’s unlikely.
  2. If not, is there anything we can do as a community? Replicate the software as an open source project starting from blank vanilla android code base? Shall we gather some amount of money and enable 1-2 android-car-knowledgeable developers to build a public github repo replicating the pccm’s s/w functionality (and then extending it)? I think this could unlock a lot of value down the road for pccm+ if software became open source and could be upgraded to the latest version of android.
i have a bit of SW dev background - in my personal opinion, im afraid the efforts to achieve 2. are.... a lot. dont misunderstand, I would love to have a fully open but fully integrated solution.
I assume trying to get a cable directly from the board/connector to the back for some hidden wireless adapter is a more realistic goal. to be honest, I was just to careful with my own PCCM. my soldering skills are good enough to risk a 5$ esp....

The following users liked this post:
medicus (02-24-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 10:46 AM
moe01325
Track Day

Received 43 Likes on 10 Posts

on a different sidetopic: the maps seem to be based on iGO product. the nav app is really just an adapted iGO nav. iGO offers already Q2/2022 - while the stuff that Porsche delivers is Q2/2021. It MAY work to just replace the data files on the SD?
Old 02-24-2023, 11:07 AM
diceman725
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by fritzcurtis
yes, mine is working correctly
Hmmm... I have the same problem as Paul and apparently Fritz and I live in the same town. When I sync to GPS the clock jumps forward 6 hours. that said, when I go into developer tools and go to the GPS settings in there, the time shows 1-hour ahead. Wonder why... that said, even when I have the SD card installed my radio comes tells me it can't determine a map location. But, through developer tools - the location is spot on.

For the moment, I have RDBS or RBDS (whichever it is) selected for time synching, but not really sure if it does anything.
Old 02-24-2023, 11:23 AM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by diceman725
Hmmm... I have the same problem as Paul and apparently Fritz and I live in the same town. When I sync to GPS the clock jumps forward 6 hours. that said, when I go into developer tools and go to the GPS settings in there, the time shows 1-hour ahead. Wonder why... that said, even when I have the SD card installed my radio comes tells me it can't determine a map location. But, through developer tools - the location is spot on.

For the moment, I have RDBS or RBDS (whichever it is) selected for time synching, but not really sure if it does anything.
How do you go into developer tools on the PCCM+?
Old 02-24-2023, 12:02 PM
diceman725
Instructor

Originally Posted by Paul S.
How do you go into developer tools on the PCCM+?

Take a look at this. I was advised to take a note of everything you change, in the event you need to revert to stock

Freakhead (02-24-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 12:05 PM
Alfnado
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Nova997
so you'll be trading your 997 in for a 992 shortly since it has the benefits of modern technology.
I’d certainly do that before swapping a 992 engine into my 997 and then complaining about how it’s different and doesn’t work like the old one.
Old 02-24-2023, 12:46 PM
Spastblast
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by moe01325
i have a bit of SW dev background - in my personal opinion, im afraid the efforts to achieve 2. are.... a lot. dont misunderstand, I would love to have a fully open but fully integrated solution.
I assume trying to get a cable directly from the board/connector to the back for some hidden wireless adapter is a more realistic goal. to be honest, I was just to careful with my own PCCM. my soldering skills are good enough to risk a 5$ esp....
My impression is there would be no soldering involved on the PCCM side. Pictures in this thread clearly show that the front USB-port is connected to the PCB through a flat cable and a connector. I think that connector could 'simply' be disconnected. A suitable connector could then be plugged into the PCB and lead the USB cable out the back/top. It might require some experimentation, but disconnecting a connector looks far less scary than soldering on your PCCM
moe01325 (02-25-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 01:56 PM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Spastblast
My impression is there would be no soldering involved on the PCCM side. Pictures in this thread clearly show that the front USB-port is connected to the PCB through a flat cable and a connector. I think that connector could 'simply' be disconnected. A suitable connector could then be plugged into the PCB and lead the USB cable out the back/top. It might require some experimentation, but disconnecting a connector looks far less scary than soldering on your PCCM
Anyone willing to try this on their PCCM? Or should we all pitch in purchase a PCCM for this trial?? I am certain we can sell it if the trial is successful.

John
Old 02-24-2023, 02:53 PM
bxstrCA
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Bit of a game changer: I wanted this unit to have the navigation prompts back in the instrument cluster. This is supported. I just got off the phone with Porsche Canada who claims they are no longer selling the SD nav card as people can have navigation through their smartphone and Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. This is as of 2 weeks ago. I doubt that this unit will be able to port Waze directions to your instrument cluster. Very disappointed with this back-pedal.

Has anyone experienced otherwise?
Old 02-24-2023, 02:58 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 567 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by bxstrCA
I just got off the phone with Porsche Canada who claims they are no longer selling the SD nav card as people can have navigation through their smartphone and Apple CarPlay or Android auto
Lmfao!!! For real? I think it’s Becuz the Sd card (for the cayennes) we’re recalled to Germany.

it’s been confirmed that NO instrument cluster info goes thru when in CarPlay / AA (makes sense)
Old 02-24-2023, 04:36 PM
bxstrCA
Instructor

I phoned a different Porsche Dealer (Porsche Downtown Toronto) - they told me that Porsche Canada is not fulfilling any orders for the SD card nav because of a German recall - exactly what you said! There is good news - they will, however, be supporting the nav system once the cards are restocked. So it isn't an abandonment of that feature but rather they said owners can use their smartphones in the meantime. The initial person I spoke to misunderstood the messaging from Porsche Canada. Thanks for mentioning the cayenne situation!

At least the radio is being shipped!
Hootsama (02-24-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 05:20 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by bxstrCA
I phoned a different Porsche Dealer (Porsche Downtown Toronto) - they told me that Porsche Canada is not fulfilling any orders for the SD card nav because of a German recall - exactly what you said! There is good news - they will, however, be supporting the nav system once the cards are restocked. So it isn't an abandonment of that feature but rather they said owners can use their smartphones in the meantime. The initial person I spoke to misunderstood the messaging from Porsche Canada. Thanks for mentioning the cayenne situation!

At least the radio is being shipped!
I wonder if the recall will address the US map issue--i.e., PCCM+ with the Nav card installed, doesn't have any roads in, into, or out of a state that is alphabetically after NY.
Old 02-24-2023, 05:31 PM
bxstrCA
Instructor

Wow. That would be a significant flaw. I'd be curious to know ... hopefully they rectify the issue soon.
Old 02-24-2023, 07:40 PM
diceman725
Instructor

Originally Posted by myw
Lmfao!!! For real? I think it’s Becuz the Sd card (for the cayennes) we’re recalled to Germany.

it’s been confirmed that NO instrument cluster info goes thru when in CarPlay / AA (makes sense)
Is that confirmed? The SD card for the Cayenne's has been recalled?
Old 02-25-2023, 05:43 AM
TLoc
AutoX

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I must firstly state for legal reasons these are my opinions only but I do have the evidence to support it. 17 years ago when the car was new it came with the original PCCM and all 209 pages of instructions. To make it simpler to use my car had a Dension Gateway 500 and a Parrot CK 3000 evolution fitted. Move forward to the new PCCM plus(54 instruction pages online) now fitted in the car. In many areas it is far superior to the old system except one major flaw; playing music. Before I discuss the issues let me clarify one point. On this site views are polarised and can get quite abusive. CD/USB stick vs Mobile phone. It is not generational and really it is not the issue. This type of arguement can disguise the real point. Let me use an analogy. There is a specific opera and singer I love to hear. There is a concert in La scala, Millano, Italy; how to get there from England? Car, train, plane, boat or a mixture. We all have our musical tastes and if you are like me they change with my mood. How can I do this in my car(not changing my mood). There are two ways, USB stick, mobile phone or a mixture of both. With the stick it is partial and the phone it is probable. Let me explain. With the stick no matter what we have tried only about 95% of the music will play in the Porsche compared with 100% on my old system in the car, my home computers and my new BMW. In addition the process is releatively complex with several steps needed to produce a change. On the phone I can upload 100% of the music but the sound coming out of the unconnected phone is not good. OK connect to the PCCM and now two issues arise. Where do I store the phone so it or the cable doesn't get in the way of the gear lever. The second issue is I can control a selected album on the PCCM but if I want to change the album I have to use the phone. Now if I try and use a hand held phone whilst driving it is illegal in my country. So you have to stop the car. There are two other options, put the phone in a phone holder and attach it where? One of the reasons I bought my car was the overall good all round visability. Unlike in the Gumball Rally where Franco says "and now my friend the first rule of Italian driving (ripping off the rear view mirror and throwing it out of the car) what's-a behind me is not important". Of course if you have a passenger that person could legally change the music.

These issues should have been resolved in the development process pre launch. It doesn't give me confidence if I was considering an electric car from Porsche. My overall conclusion: This is not good enough Porsche.

Last edited by TLoc; 02-25-2023 at 05:44 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by TLoc:
JustinCase (02-25-2023), medicus (02-25-2023), svandamme (02-25-2023)

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request