What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2023, 11:48 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,987 Likes on 3,032 Posts

Oh, that's cool.

Did you try pressure washing the tiles to pick the crud out?
Old 10-29-2023, 05:02 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 513 Likes on 344 Posts

Doesn't work. The pressure washer also lifts all the crap up off the garage floor that's fallen thru the tiles, so the tiles end up not getting clean at all. That's why I'd get solid tiles next time, that way I could pressure wash them and then squeegee broom them clean.
Old 10-29-2023, 05:27 PM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 87 Posts

took the front wheels off my TT to inspect the front axle and steering rod boots, all look good. cant wait to get this thing on the road this week!

first "upgrade" im doing is getting a set of wheel studs..i dont like wheel bolts at all.
Old 10-29-2023, 06:05 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docwyte
Doesn't work. The pressure washer also lifts all the crap up off the garage floor that's fallen thru the tiles, so the tiles end up not getting clean at all. That's why I'd get solid tiles next time, that way I could pressure wash them and then squeegee broom them clean.
That's a bugger.
Old 10-29-2023, 08:56 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,785 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Yeah, I think those open-style tile floors are great for display garages, but for working garages, I want something that I can easily run a floor jack over, spill oil on and be able to wipe up, drop a small screw on and not have it disappear, etc.. Epoxy type paint is a great lower budget solution, but requires a really clean floor and can chip up over time. Some of the new vinyls are decent... High strength ceramic tiles look fantastic but are $$$... My personal favorite, but only really practical on a new build is polished concrete.
Old 10-29-2023, 10:41 PM
mrdstr
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Got a long shakedown run in after fabing up a bracket similar to the GT3 bracket to keep the coolant lines off the drive shaft/CV to complete the engine/gearbox out for the gearbox rebuild. Despite the air lift, getting the car to temp and running the heaters is consuming quite a bit of coolant. I've put in 6 gallons of fluid now so hopefully that is fully bled and done. Forgot to connect the little vacuum line on the y-pipe to the check valve. Got that sorted. Thought that was the source of my check engine light but the code was for a bank 2 O2 sensor. I'll get some more miles on it tomorrow and see what turns up.
Old 10-30-2023, 09:08 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
Yeah, I think those open-style tile floors are great for display garages, but for working garages, I want something that I can easily run a floor jack over, spill oil on and be able to wipe up, drop a small screw on and not have it disappear, etc.. Epoxy type paint is a great lower budget solution, but requires a really clean floor and can chip up over time. Some of the new vinyls are decent... High strength ceramic tiles look fantastic but are $$$... My personal favorite, but only really practical on a new build is polished concrete.
I have the flaking problem with the epoxy in my bay. Despite acid washing the concrete, the epoxy appears to stick to tyres that are left on it for more than a couple of days. Problem now is I don't know how I can ever fix it, looks a little spotty.
Old 10-30-2023, 10:39 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 513 Likes on 344 Posts

I can roll a floor jack over my tiles no problem. Cleaning them? Big problem. Epoxy floor/poly is a good choice but on an older garage floor you need to grind the floor, clean it, acid etch it, wash it, then coat it. Tons of work and for someone like me, who's garage is already full of crap, a no go. I'd have to empty the garage and put the stuff somewhere.
The following 2 users liked this post by docwyte:
996dougie (10-31-2023), LinwoodM (10-30-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 11:30 AM
sullivs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey Docwyte,
Nice two-wheeled thingie! My other obsession is a '91 BMW R100GS Bumblebee. Wife thinks I'm crazy.

Getting the car all cleaned up for the Porsche Palooza in Eureka Springs, Arkansas next week.

Steve
Old 10-30-2023, 03:03 PM
c041v_
Instructor

Received 155 Likes on 49 Posts

So, while this is not about my 996 Turbo (Which is still stuck in divorce hell in my garage) I did want to provide a bit of a write-up of my Sunday drive.

Was chatting with @2fcknfst over the weekend about getting together over the weekend and we ended up meeting yesterday morning for a nice Sunday morning drive. I brought my R8 and figured I might get a lift in his Turbo...

Well, he got out as we met, handed me the keys and explained "It'll break loose in 2nd at 0.3 bar, so, you know, be careful... also, don't get us arrested" Whoa. I was going get the chance to drive his car! This is an elite club of which @sdematt is one of the only few other members. I had actually driven @sdematt 's Turbo this summer and got my first taste of a modified car. This Turbo is a whole other beast. From the moment I got in, everything felt tight and mechanical. The steering wheel is firm, thick and feels exactly right for the car. The gearbox was tight and shifts short. @sdematt has the numeric shifter and while I did not ask which one this was, both are far superior to the stock Turbo shifter setup, which feels like driving a school bus compared to either of these cars. I think he also mentioned that there was "About 600 foot-pounds" available, so quite a bit up from the stock car I had been used to over the years.

We take off and I am driving like a grandma for the first little bit as I get used to the 75lb clutch, short throws and much faster revving engine. My R8 felt like a giant teddy bear after driving this thing, with a clutch so effortless, it almost felt broken, and a much slow revving engine. Took a bit of getting used to as if you even blip the throttle, you'll get the revs up FAST. I eventually gained a bit of confidence as we mad our way onto more major roads, and the second the car came on boost in 2nd, the back got a bit squirrelly, he was not kidding.

We worked our way onto some relatively straight and empty roads out by UBC and I was able to open it up a bit. WOW. This thing is fast. I had to be careful not to open it up off the line or at low speed as it will break free with no issue at all. He warned me the Toyo 660's would not be happy in the cold and remember, this is a RWD conversion car! I did a few pulls from 40-50 km/hr and it walked by my R8 like it was standing still. Not that my R8 is the fastest thing in the world (stock 4.2L) but wow, this car is FAST, and slightly terrifying in the best possible way. The brakes were also phenomenal (Factory PCCB's) even though I didn't have to use them too much.

Too bad the weather was so cold as I would have been a lot more confident if I knew I had more grip and temperature in the tires. What an incredible experience. Can't believe he gets to drive this thing whenever he wants. The potential in these cars is so massive, although it commands respect, especially in the RWD configuration. I don't think I'd change a single thing on this car, although I would be curious to see how it performed in the AWD configuration, and @2fcknfst did mentioned he could take corners a bit quicker when the front diff was in. I would hate stop and go traffic with this clutch, but it feels right for tooling around and Sunday morning drives.

Tha@2fcknfst for the incredible opportunity and always enjoyable conversation. He's probably forgotten more about 996 Turbos than I will ever know and has a truly incredible example.
The following 10 users liked this post by c041v_:
17ram2500 (10-31-2023), Capt. Obvious (10-31-2023), kamlung (10-30-2023), LinwoodM (10-30-2023), moburki (10-30-2023), pfbz (10-31-2023), Scrh1 (10-30-2023), sdematt (10-30-2023), vtec_ (10-30-2023), WhoDat996tt (10-30-2023) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-30-2023, 03:34 PM
WhoDat996tt
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Put on some Carbotech XP-12s up front (I usually run Pagid RSL-29 - yellows, 2x the price of Carbotechs) on my 996-mostly-track-tt. First event on them is Thursday...we shall see how they are!
Old 10-30-2023, 04:03 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by c041v_
So, while this is not about my 996 Turbo (Which is still stuck in divorce hell in my garage) I did want to provide a bit of a write-up of my Sunday drive.

Was chatting with @2fcknfst over the weekend about getting together over the weekend and we ended up meeting yesterday morning for a nice Sunday morning drive. I brought my R8 and figured I might get a lift in his Turbo...

Well, he got out as we met, handed me the keys and explained "It'll break loose in 2nd at 0.3 bar, so, you know, be careful... also, don't get us arrested" Whoa. I was going get the chance to drive his car! This is an elite club of which @sdematt is one of the only few other members. I had actually driven @sdematt 's Turbo this summer and got my first taste of a modified car. This Turbo is a whole other beast. From the moment I got in, everything felt tight and mechanical. The steering wheel is firm, thick and feels exactly right for the car. The gearbox was tight and shifts short. @sdematt has the numeric shifter and while I did not ask which one this was, both are far superior to the stock Turbo shifter setup, which feels like driving a school bus compared to either of these cars. I think he also mentioned that there was "About 600 foot-pounds" available, so quite a bit up from the stock car I had been used to over the years.

We take off and I am driving like a grandma for the first little bit as I get used to the 75lb clutch, short throws and much faster revving engine. My R8 felt like a giant teddy bear after driving this thing, with a clutch so effortless, it almost felt broken, and a much slow revving engine. Took a bit of getting used to as if you even blip the throttle, you'll get the revs up FAST. I eventually gained a bit of confidence as we mad our way onto more major roads, and the second the car came on boost in 2nd, the back got a bit squirrelly, he was not kidding.

We worked our way onto some relatively straight and empty roads out by UBC and I was able to open it up a bit. WOW. This thing is fast. I had to be careful not to open it up off the line or at low speed as it will break free with no issue at all. He warned me the Toyo 660's would not be happy in the cold and remember, this is a RWD conversion car! I did a few pulls from 40-50 km/hr and it walked by my R8 like it was standing still. Not that my R8 is the fastest thing in the world (stock 4.2L) but wow, this car is FAST, and slightly terrifying in the best possible way. The brakes were also phenomenal (Factory PCCB's) even though I didn't have to use them too much.

Too bad the weather was so cold as I would have been a lot more confident if I knew I had more grip and temperature in the tires. What an incredible experience. Can't believe he gets to drive this thing whenever he wants. The potential in these cars is so massive, although it commands respect, especially in the RWD configuration. I don't think I'd change a single thing on this car, although I would be curious to see how it performed in the AWD configuration, and @2fcknfst did mentioned he could take corners a bit quicker when the front diff was in. I would hate stop and go traffic with this clutch, but it feels right for tooling around and Sunday morning drives.

Tha@2fcknfst for the incredible opportunity and always enjoyable conversation. He's probably forgotten more about 996 Turbos than I will ever know and has a truly incredible example.
Thank you for the kind words Adam, always a pleasure to see you.

Falkens, not Toyo's but who's counting, right?

And, as I recall, there may have been a little rev limiter bouncing in second as you cruised past me...

It was very nice to hear the Inconel under load too - a very, very rare occurrence.

Glad you enjoyed it!

The following 2 users liked this post by 2fcknfst:
17ram2500 (10-31-2023), LinwoodM (10-30-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 05:42 PM
c041v_
Instructor

Received 155 Likes on 49 Posts

There was definitely a rev limiter bounce in second .

Ah, sorry I got the tire brand wrong - I'm a Michelin guy!
Old 10-30-2023, 06:06 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 90 Posts

LOL, sounds like fun. First and second run out pretty quick, even with the slightly longer 997GT2 gears.
Old 10-30-2023, 07:33 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manimal
LOL, sounds like fun. First and second run out pretty quick, even with the slightly longer 997GT2 gears.
+2c didn't help much either, especially with that rubber.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?