Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop Sale Campaign on 911 with Sport Chrono?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2021 | 05:29 PM
Motorist911
Rennlist Member

We're coming up on 9 months since the start of this thread. Is there any more info on the Porsche stop sale campaign - possible remedies/solutions? Hard to believe it's been so quiet on this for so long....

The following users liked this post:
cbredesen (08-30-2021)
Old 08-11-2021 | 09:42 PM
Chimcu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Motorist911
We're coming up on 9 months since the start of this thread. Is there any more info on the Porsche stop sale campaign - possible remedies/solutions? Hard to believe it's been so quiet on this for so long....
my dealership told me Oct 2021... in the mean time... they suckered me buying cayenne while I wait for my 911..
Deezflip (08-11-2021)
Old 08-23-2021 | 12:20 PM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

Another data point/bit of news: I was in an LA area Porsche dealership yesterday trying out some seats, and the salesman said that they're sitting on about 12 affected cars (991.1 with PDK and Chrono) and that a fix for the issue has been found and parts should arrive next month. So the October 2021 sale window mentioned above seems likely.

He also said they don't plan to dump them on the market all at once and they'll definitely price them in line with current pricing. I'm sure they'll end up negotiating some savings against their list prices, but advertised prices will be high.

He also showed me they have some available 992 base Carrera and Carrera 4 allocation slots for later this year if anyone is interested in going with a new car.

Last edited by noahabel; 08-23-2021 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-23-2021 | 12:24 PM
ajeffrey10
Racer

Thanks. My question is: what is the problem, exactly? If I missed above, I apologize. I gather it’s emissions.

Also, any idea on the “fix”? I certainly hope it doesn’t affect performance. Def a question.

As for pricing, I can’t imagine anyone wanting to pay up for a stop-sale car knowing supply is about to spike. Caveat emptor

Originally Posted by noahabel
Another data point/bit of news: I was in an LA area Porsche dealership yesterday trying out some seats, and the salesman said that they're sitting on about 12 affected cars (991.1 with PDC and Chrono) and that a fix for the issue has been found and parts should arrive next month. So the October 2021 sale window mentioned above seems likely.

He also said they don't plan to dump them on the market all at once and they'll definitely price them in line with current pricing. I'm sure they'll end up negotiating some savings against their list prices, but advertised prices will be high.

He also showed me they have some available 992 base Carrera and Carrera 4 allocation slots for later this year if anyone is interested in going with a new car.
MesaSB (08-31-2021)
Old 08-23-2021 | 12:51 PM
Macan't
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ajeffrey10

As for pricing, I can’t imagine anyone wanting to pay up for a stop-sale car knowing supply is about to spike. Caveat emptor
I dont think supply spiking is going to be a thing. Ive been trying to sell my 991.1 to take advantage of the market and people just arent buying at super high prices yet. Everyone seems to be waiting for things to go back to 2020 prices at least. I dont think anyone is actually selling the cars for what they are listing them at.

I also got a few quotes from Porsche dealers in my area to sell the car to them. They all gave me "go away" quotes, which were WAY under market. Like $8k under what CarMax offered me. So I think most dealers have been actively avoiding buying stop sale cars for a while and have not been hoarding that many.

Everyone in the market really wants to imagine the current price hike as ending and keeps looking for events to catalyze that, but the pricing issue is global and only worsening. The few hundred 991s out there are going to be snapped up VERY quickly by all the people who have been waiting to buy one.

I think everyone is going to be very disappointed in October when prices keep going up. Trying to time any market is almost always a bad idea.

Last edited by Macan't; 08-23-2021 at 12:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Macan't:
noahabel (08-23-2021), scr1244 (08-23-2021)
Old 08-23-2021 | 12:59 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by noahabel
Another data point/bit of news: I was in an LA area Porsche dealership yesterday trying out some seats, and the salesman said that they're sitting on about 12 affected cars (991.1 with PDC and Chrono) and that a fix for the issue has been found and parts should arrive next month. So the October 2021 sale window mentioned above seems likely.…
Parts are needed for the fix? Not just a software patch?
noahabel (08-23-2021)
Old 08-23-2021 | 12:59 PM
ajeffrey10
Racer

I hope you’re right! I have no interest in selling mine, regardless

Originally Posted by Macan't
I dont think supply spiking is going to be a thing. Ive been trying to sell my 991.1 to take advantage of the market and people just arent buying at super high prices yet. Everyone seems to be waiting for things to go back to 2020 prices at least. I dont think anyone is actually selling the cars for what they are listing them at.

I also got a few quotes from Porsche dealers in my area to sell the car to them. They all gave me "go away" quotes, which were WAY under market. Like $8k under what CarMax offered me. So I think most dealers have been actively avoiding buying stop sale cars for a while and have not been hoarding that many.

Everyone in the market really wants to imagine the current price hike as ending and keeps looking for events to catalyze that, but the pricing issue is global and only worsening. The few hundred 991s out there are going to be snapped up VERY quickly by all the people who have been waiting to buy one.

I think everyone is going to be very disappointed in October when prices keep going up. Trying to time any market is almost always a bad idea.
Old 08-23-2021 | 01:11 PM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ajeffrey10
Thanks. My question is: what is the problem, exactly? If I missed above, I apologize. I gather it’s emissions.

Also, any idea on the “fix”? I certainly hope it doesn’t affect performance. Def a question.

He didn't seem like the kind of salesman who would want to share that info, but it is an important question: what is going to be different about these cars that go through a Porsche dealership and have to get altered in some way? Also, will there be voluntary or even mandatory recall? We've all been speculating that it's emissions related; does anyone remember if VW/Audi had a mandatory recall after Dieselgate?

I think pricing will definitely flatten, but it seems like that was happening anyway. The question is will they return to pre-2020 levels? Seems unlikely unless everyone interested in buying just holds onto their money until dealerships and private parties decide to come way down.

The real dilemma I keep seeing mentioned in this forum is that selling your 991 car now, even for a tidy profit, will leave you without a 911 until new car production picks up and allocations for 992s increase. The same salesman told me the that the microchip shortage is affecting 992 production, too (chips for the steering column and 18-way seats, among others, are in short supply, he said). Plus they had the massive flood that affected production.

I think this, as much as anything, is creating the lack of supply to meet the increase in demand. And if prices come down, you'll get NONE of the "I should sell now to make a profit" people listing their cars unless they're looking to get into another used 911 as prices come down, thus increasing demand for the "upgrade" 991s (GTS, GTx, Turbos, etc...). And prices for them is insane right now.

So maybe prices on base and S models comes down to "normal?" 🤷🏻‍♂️ Only time will tell. I'm glad I got my car now regardless; I hope to never sell it.
The following 2 users liked this post by noahabel:
scr1244 (08-23-2021), zabuch (08-26-2021)
Old 08-23-2021 | 01:13 PM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LSR
Parts are needed for the fix? Not just a software patch?
That's what he said. I didn't pry more details from him.

Could just be their stock answer to explain why Porsche NA is dithering so long on this problem.

Last edited by noahabel; 08-23-2021 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-23-2021 | 01:42 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macan't

If you are serious about selling your car, do some (extensive) research and find one of MANY independent dealers who specialize in cars like ours. Stop sale means a Porsche dealer has to buy your car and then sit on it indefinitely (for the near future).

Independent dealers are the ones selling these cars at good profits, because there is a need and want for these cars, but MOST people want to buy from a "dealer" who can make the transaction smoother and provide that false sense of security. MANY people simply do not want to deal with the pains of a private party sale, paying off remaining loans, getting title etc (I said MANY, not all.. but Many surely aren't comfortable)

Some Porsche dealers who have a sister branch under Auid/BMW/Merc/toyota brand are also known to circumvent the "stop-sale" by running the buy/trade-ion through the sister branch. Do not take Porsche dealer trade-in offers as the real or whole story, my local dealer is sitting on 4 991.1/Base/S/4S cars, hidden away in the back parking lot.. going on 8 months now.

I have been offered sight-unseen cash offers for what I think a 991.1 GTS is realistically worth right now, from one of those independent dealers like "the connection", Toy store, CNC , Grand Prix Auto (out west) Etc Etc.. and if I wanted to sell my car, it would be gone to one of those guys in mere couple of days.
Old 08-25-2021 | 05:31 PM
Bronson C
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Bronson C
I been told lol. But we'll see. The dealer looking for another 911 for me.
Hey Everyone. I wanted to give an update to my situation. I am now a new owner of a 2014 Porsche 911 Carrera 4s. This is a huge upgrade to what I had before as it comes with a aero package kit and obvs the specs are better than the one I had in the stop sale. I was able to purchase it because it did not have sport chrono. It is in mint condition and came with Pre Owned Warranty from porsche. Though, it is in the summer, Im glad I waited and opted for a better equipped 911.

Good luck to all those who are affected by the stop sale.
noahabel (08-26-2021)
Old 09-06-2021 | 02:15 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default No Spoty Chrono here, either...

I wanted a Porsche dealer CPO car last Spring....with the Stop Sale in effect, Sport Chrono out of the question. Should I have waited? I don't think so. Found a lightly optioned 2013 991.1 on line, at the Porsche dealer in Naples FL, bought this car sight unseen and had it shipped to Cali. My only regret, there were more chips on the front bumper than what I had anticipated....I had the front bumper painted, covered in XPEL and a ceramic coating added.

I had the 991.1 to the track last June, and having owned a 2015 Cayman GTS with Sport Chromo, my non Sport Chrono car performed quite well. The only difference, the snaps and pops from the 2015 Cayman GTS with Sport Chromo in Sport + were noticeable louder than those from my 991.1 in the Sport mode....both cars with Sport Exhaust.

Blessed to be a Porsche owner.

vtgt (09-06-2021)
Old 09-06-2021 | 02:32 PM
vtgt
Rennlist Member

^nice!

What’s new with this topic anyways?
Old 09-06-2021 | 02:35 PM
Macan't
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vtgt
^nice!

What’s new with this topic anyways?
I just talked to a guy who was interested in buying my car. Apparently he has a stop sale car under contract with a dealer and is tried of waiting.

The dealership still isn’t giving him any information on a delivery date. Not even a hint about it.

I’ve also gotten two “go away” quotes from dealers for trading in my sports chrono car. Significantly under what even Carmax offered. They really don’t want the car on their lot. I can’t image that would be the case if the stop sale end was near.

Last edited by Macan't; 09-06-2021 at 02:38 PM.
vtgt (09-06-2021)
Old 09-06-2021 | 03:09 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by desmotesta
If you are serious about selling your car, do some (extensive) research and find one of MANY independent dealers who specialize in cars like ours. Stop sale means a Porsche dealer has to buy your car and then sit on it indefinitely (for the near future).

Independent dealers are the ones selling these cars at good profits, because there is a need and want for these cars, but MOST people want to buy from a "dealer" who can make the transaction smoother and provide that false sense of security. MANY people simply do not want to deal with the pains of a private party sale, paying off remaining loans, getting title etc (I said MANY, not all.. but Many surely aren't comfortable)

Some Porsche dealers who have a sister branch under Auid/BMW/Merc/toyota brand are also known to circumvent the "stop-sale" by running the buy/trade-ion through the sister branch. Do not take Porsche dealer trade-in offers as the real or whole story, my local dealer is sitting on 4 991.1/Base/S/4S cars, hidden away in the back parking lot.. going on 8 months now.

I have been offered sight-unseen cash offers for what I think a 991.1 GTS is realistically worth right now, from one of those independent dealers like "the connection", Toy store, CNC , Grand Prix Auto (out west) Etc Etc.. and if I wanted to sell my car, it would be gone to one of those guys in mere couple of days.
CNC? They have been shutdown for a while now, no?

Quick Reply: Stop Sale Campaign on 911 with Sport Chrono?