Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop Sale Campaign on 911 with Sport Chrono?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 08:57 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,991 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by UH2
That's a blanket statement that I don't think is true. In Ohio, you can register a car if there's an open SAFETY related recall, and this recall is emissions based so it's at a different severity level.

Can you provide some documentation to support your statement?

EDIT: I believe California is a state that can stop you from renewing, but I don't believe it's country (US) wide.
I agree with this. Given the elementary nature of what is done during a "State Emissions inspection" in majority of states, no way they can tell if the "fix" has been installed or not.

For the most part, if owners decide not to do this "recall", future warranty work may or may not be covered (related to engine and emissions).A recall of this sort puts the burden on manufacturer and dealers, not on the owners. Its reasonable to expect Porsche via their dealer network will do their best tp reach out to all owners and advise them to bring the cars in, they cant force anyone and there is no element of a yearly state inspection that would "catch" this emissions anomaly that only happens in a certain situation. (Certain driving condition + Sport Chrono/ sport+ being used etc)

All that said, looks like my car is due for a recall as well:

Last edited by desmotesta; 10-28-2021 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:36 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by zano777
BAD NEWS,
...The major difference being while sport plus is engaged and you let off the throttle the vehicle upshifts just like sport mode. It does not hold the gear to redline the way it is designed to.. I noticed the upshifting immediately.. I owned a 2014 981 Cayman S so I know how the vehicle is supposed to perform while in sport plus.. I immediately text my rep and he said to bring it back so service can look at it.. not sure what i can do at this point. can i refuse or return the vehicle since it doesn't function as advertised?? .. I'm beyond livid.
Does it do what you describe in *both the manual and automatic modes* when in Sport + in your C4S? Or in one or the other? That is, is there a way around the effect?

Also, I would wonder if the behavior change of the fix would affect actual performance scenarios for those using engine braking from redline, i.e., track lap times, not engine noises, or car atitude drama.

Last edited by chuckbdc; 10-28-2021 at 10:07 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by chuckbdc:
BGLeduc (10-28-2021), jfischet (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 09:53 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Does it do what you describe in *both the manual and automatic modes* when in Sport + in your C4S? Or in one or the other? That is, is there a way around the effect?
this whole "issue" is remedied by driving the PDK is manual mode, which is how I have always driven since day 1. Cant recall ever driving in auto for more than a mile.
The following users liked this post:
SFZ GT3 (10-30-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 10:18 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,233 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by zano777
BAD NEWS,
After waiting limbo for 8 months, I received a call last week saying my vehicle would be ready today. I had a PPI done on the vehicle and everything checked out (sport plus functioned normally at that time). Finally the day arrived so I headed to the dealership and completed the purchase of a used 2014 C4S w/sport chrono. My sales rep assured me there is no difference in performance. I took his word for it, signed the paperwork and off I went... On the way home I discovered SPORT PLUS MODE DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY after the reflash! The major difference being while sport plus is engaged and you let off the throttle the vehicle upshifts just like sport mode. It does not hold the gear to redline the way it is designed to.. I noticed the upshifting immediately.. I owned a 2014 981 Cayman S so I know how the vehicle is supposed to perform while in sport plus.. I immediately text my rep and he said to bring it back so service can look at it.. not sure what i can do at this point. can i refuse or return the vehicle since it doesn't function as advertised?? .. I'm beyond livid.
That's messed up. Sport+ in Auto on the track is brilliant, it sounds like it will no longer be brilliant. A "fix" would be a Cobb TCU tune. My car isn't going anywhere near the dealer.

I was kind of against Sport+ in Auto on track until I gave it a try... now it's hard not to use it as my lap times saw real improvement and I can focus on my driving line. Sport+ in auto is more aggressive with the shift points than I am in a good way.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 10-28-2021 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:39 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
this whole "issue" is remedied by driving the PDK is manual mode, which is how I have always driven since day 1. Cant recall ever driving in auto for more than a mile.
I hope that you are right. I used Sport+ *in auto mode* in my C2S just once since purchase in 2012. I found that letting the car "downshift to next gear redline" by itself, undesirable on the street for a number of reasons. As for track scenarios, I can't imagine me making productive use of that much engine braking in either PDK mode. So if I use Sport + it is always in manual mode.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:40 AM
JuanK20
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 112 Posts

Even more reason to keep using Indy's.
Heathen1970 (11-02-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 11:14 AM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 479 Likes on 348 Posts

Checked my 2013 Boxster S PDK with SC. Found the rear axle carrier recall, but nothing for SC.

Use Sport+ in auto at the track and occasionally paddle shift. As already stated the Sport+ auto mode is smarter than me almost all the time and lets my limited brain cells worry about braking and apexes.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:37 AM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 479 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I hope that you are right. I used Sport+ *in auto mode* in my C2S just once since purchase in 2012. I found that letting the car "downshift to next gear redline" by itself, undesirable on the street for a number of reasons. As for track scenarios, I can't imagine me making productive use of that much engine braking in either PDK mode. So if I use Sport + it is always in manual mode.
Confused. In my track experience Sport+ auto mode primarily downshifts during braking to be in the optimal gear when you get off the brakes. If you have PSE you can hear the rev matching especially if it goes down multiple gears. It does not produce significant engine braking in auto mode. Obviously letting off the throttle provides some engine braking, but not like downshifting a manual to help reduce speed. You could manually downshift the PDK but not sure why you would want to use a PDK for significant engine braking.

Last edited by Kitc2246; 10-28-2021 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:46 AM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

seems many of you are thinking/assuming this sport+ upshift thing is all that's been changed?? really =)

IMHO....it's the first thing noticed/reported a day or two after being initiated with ZERO details from Porsche. i'll be shocked if more doesn't trickle out as other get it done and look closer. this entire situation has been secretive and still is, even as we let them "update" our cars. no one but Porsche knows exactly what's been done. they're counting on most of us never noticing or caring. that may turn out to be true but for now, we don't know WTF this is all about yet.
Old 10-28-2021, 12:10 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Levy
seems many of you are thinking/assuming this sport+ upshift thing is all that's been changed?? really =)

IMHO....it's the first thing noticed/reported a day or two after being initiated with ZERO details from Porsche. i'll be shocked if more doesn't trickle out as other get it done and look closer. this entire situation has been secretive and still is, even as we let them "update" our cars. no one but Porsche knows exactly what's been done. they're counting on most of us never noticing or caring. that may turn out to be true but for now, we don't know WTF this is all about yet.

the entire situation is secretive as part of Porsche's successful attempt to keep this off the news/automotive journalism cycle as much as possible. Their publicist and internal team deserves kudos (speaking objectively)
Old 10-28-2021, 12:12 PM
yorkmed
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AMCO Recall campaign

Brought my 991.1 to the dealer yesterday for the annual state inspection and oil change. Was told that there was a software update available for my car. I declined to have the update done suspecting that the update was to "fix" the emissions issue related to the stop sale campaign.

Does anyone know what the AMCO campaign is all about?
Old 10-28-2021, 12:20 PM
bb964
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by yorkmed
Does anyone know what the AMCO campaign is all about?
I expect that a detailed document will be posted on NHTSA website soon, but at this point just this:

Oct 25,2021
Manufacturer Recall Number AMC0

Summary Porsche has determined that under certain driving conditions, increased exhaust emissions can occur in Sport+ mode on affected vehicles.

Safety Risk Increased Exhaust emissions

Remedy Transmission Control unit, and in some cases both the DME Control unit and Transmission Control unit, will be updated.

Last edited by bb964; 10-28-2021 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-28-2021, 01:34 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 619 Likes on 363 Posts

maybe the "fix" is geofenced and it shifts differently at the track. we need before and after lap times.
tomekz (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021, 02:30 PM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

This has all the makings of a serious disaster...or it could be absolutely nothing meaningful for 95% of drivers.

I'm in Cali and could definitely see the State requiring this update for yearly emissions testing. They connect the car to the testing equipment and I assume they can see the software versions in use in the car at the time.

I definitely won't be going to the dealer for anything unless I have to (I'm out of warranty). A lot TBD, here.

Last edited by noahabel; 10-28-2021 at 03:01 PM.
dhu1 (01-22-2022)
Old 10-28-2021, 02:54 PM
bb964
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 200 Posts

Don't think this will be a disaster, cars without the Sports Chrono option sell/re-sell just fine and most owners with SC don't use the Sports+. There are always 3rd party options for those who will be directly affected.

Last edited by bb964; 10-28-2021 at 04:12 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by bb964:
desmotesta (10-28-2021), jfischet (10-28-2021), noahabel (10-29-2021), stellman (10-28-2021)

Quick Reply: Stop Sale Campaign on 911 with Sport Chrono?