Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop Sale Campaign on 911 with Sport Chrono?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2021 | 09:25 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

I had NO idea so many people drive PDK in "auto mode" on both street and track. I have driven my car in auto a handful of time over 18 months, fewer than 5 I think.

I drive in manual mode 99.9% of time and the difference between sport/Sport+ for me is how much more slip the nannies allow when pushing
Old 12-09-2021 | 09:45 AM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by desmotesta
I had NO idea so many people drive PDK in "auto mode" on both street and track. I have driven my car in auto a handful of time over 18 months, fewer than 5 I think.

I drive in manual mode 99.9% of time and the difference between sport/Sport+ for me is how much more slip the nannies allow when pushing
Since you drive manual most of the time, perhaps you can check something for me?

991.1 w/PDK has a kickdown function that, even in manual mode, will drop a gear when mashing the throttle. Curious if that is still the case.

There are several threads here and there talking about it, and how it is not always welcome in track or AX situations, There was speculation in this thread that the new software was going to be similar to 991.2. In 991.2 cars, there is no kickdown in Manual mode.

So, if you don't mind, next time you are out, select Sport+, Manual mode, shift to 2nd gear, bring the revs up to maybe 4K or so, then floor the throttle. Does it kick down to 1st gear? There are work arounds for 991.1 cars to eliminate that behavior. I don't want to bog this thread down with that discussion and you can search if you are interested, but would very much like to know if the kickdown is still there in Manual after the re-flash.

TIA

Last edited by BGLeduc; 12-09-2021 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-09-2021 | 09:51 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BGLeduc
Since you drive manual most of the time, perhaps you can check something for me?

991.1 w/PDK has a kickdown function that, even in manual mode, will drop a gear when mashing the throttle. Curious if that is still the case.

There are several threads here and there talking about it, and how it is not always welcome in track or AX situations, There was speculation in this thread that the new software was going to be similar to 991.2. In 991.2 cars, there is no kickdown in Manual mode.

So, if you don't mind, next time you are out, select Sport+, Manual mode, shift to 2nd gear, bring the revs up to maybe 4K or so, then floor the throttle. Does it kick down to 1st gear? There are work arounds for 991.1 cars to eliminate that behavior. I don't want to bog this thread down with that discussion and you can search if you are interested, but would very much like to know if the kickdown is still there in Manual after the re-flask.

TIA..

I should have added that I have Cobb PDK Aggressive tune which eliminates kick down in Any mode. Also makes the trans feel more like a "semi-manual" by disengaging transmission at stop lights or when stationary, my car literally creeps back if the road isn't flat. Car also never creeps forward like an automatic when placed in D or any gear is engaged.
That said, when I did have Stock PDK function, I can attest that flooring the car in almost any gear in manual mode (whether in sport or Sport+) engaged kick down which was extremely annoying to me, hence why my first and quickest "mod" was Cobb PDK tune.

Hope this helps
Old 12-09-2021 | 10:11 AM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

I should have added that I have Cobb PDK Aggressive tune which eliminates kick down in Any mode. Also makes the trans feel more like a "semi-manual" by disengaging transmission at stop lights or when stationary, my car literally creeps back if the road isn't flat. Car also never creeps forward like an automatic when placed in D or any gear is engaged.
That said, when I did have Stock PDK function, I can attest that flooring the car in almost any gear in manual mode (whether in sport or Sport+) engaged kick down which was extremely annoying to me, hence why my first and quickest "mod" was Cobb PDK tune.

Hope this helps
Crap.

Thanks for responding, but crap. :-)

Anyone else care to take up the challenge?
Old 12-09-2021 | 10:33 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Kick down is still there.

At first I didn't like it, but since these cars need to be wrung out to get power out of them, there have been times where I was shocked I could have went down another gear and I wouldn't have if the TCU didn't make the decision for me for me. It was from that point forward I am happy to have kick down. On an engine with a lot of torque like the .2's I wouldn't miss it.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 12-09-2021 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-09-2021 | 10:42 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Kick down is still there.

At first I didn't like it, but since these cars need to be wrung out to get power out of them, there have been times where I was shocked I could have went down another gear and I wouldn't have if the TCU didn't make the decision for me for me. It was from that point forward I am happy to have kick down. On an engine with a lot of torque like the .2's I wouldn't miss it.
I should add that the couple of times I did use PDK in auto mode (before Cobb PDK tune) I was pleasantly surprised by how much "faster" the car was when compared to PDK-manual. At any speed when driving on highway, merging into oncoming traffic etc I could accelerate so easily (thanks to quick downshifts) and I was frankly surprised by how the car built up speed compared to me driving in manual mode. The PDK in conjunction with the N/A engine is really a thing of beauty, not my preference to drive in Auto, but the car sure accelerated much faster by any subjective or objective measure.

Last edited by desmotesta; 12-09-2021 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-09-2021 | 11:13 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

In "normal" and "sport" modes, 991.1s had two methods of causing downshifts (ie apart from using the buttons/paddles or the console mounted "gearshift" switch).

The stock PDK in the 991.1 (in automatic mode) downshifted to the next lower gear with a quick stab (not "flooring") of the throttle. The car would stay in the lower gear for a while.

"Kickdown", on the other had, was done by pushing the throttle to the floor and "beyond" the detent to press the (hardware) switch that caused a downshift to the lowest gear possible without exceeding the redline and activating the rev limiter, and hold it if floored, accelerating until it hit redline and then shifted.

Cars with Sport Chronograph had a Sport+ mode that operates as described by several posters- and that is what the thing that software update modded to be like the 991.2. I can't think of any reason that would have any effect on engine power output or that (from what has been described) there would be much performance effect at the track with a properly driven car.

Last edited by chuckbdc; 12-09-2021 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-10-2021 | 11:16 AM
Fünfer
Racer

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
That's also not true; your active drivetrain mounts are always 'active' in all modes, just running under different control regimes.
I can confirm that PADM switches to a higher level of 'activeness' in Sport+
For me, when I was autocrossing in Sport the PADM was active but in working order. When switching to Sport+ activeness increased, and PADM promptly broke, giving me the dreaded 'PADM failure' message and steep repair bill.
Old 12-12-2021 | 09:18 AM
Chimcu
Burning Brakes

I'll ask my rep what they did as they are finally releasing my car this coming Thursday.. its a 9o1.1 c2s manual with sports chrono of course
Old 12-12-2021 | 12:39 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chimcu
I'll ask my rep what they did as they are finally releasing my car this coming Thursday.. its a 9o1.1 c2s manual with sports chrono of course

releasing from stop sale? I thought manuals weren't affected by stop sale
Old 12-12-2021 | 12:54 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Your recollection is correct. They aren’t.
Old 12-12-2021 | 02:40 PM
Chimcu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BGLeduc
Your recollection is correct. They aren’t.
Not sure about the USA but on Canada my car was bought in May 2021 and just got released now due to stop sale.. so not sure where we are getting our info from.. what I can say is that this stop sale is definitely not clear and seems shady to me..

Last edited by Chimcu; 12-12-2021 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-15-2021 | 01:37 AM
ThePhanatic
Racer

Saw someone on Reddit mention that the pops and burbles are gone in Sport mode now. Anyone else able to confirm this?
Old 12-15-2021 | 01:46 AM
stellman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ThePhanatic
Saw someone on Reddit mention that the pops and burbles are gone in Sport mode now. Anyone else able to confirm this?
They are still there in Sport.
The following users liked this post:
Heathen1970 (12-15-2021)
Old 12-15-2021 | 09:58 PM
ThePhanatic
Racer

Originally Posted by stellman
They are still there in Sport.
Thanks, that's what I figured. I trust Rennlist over Reddit any day.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale Campaign on 911 with Sport Chrono?