Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop Sale Campaign on 911 with Sport Chrono?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 10:31 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

I wonder whether we can start a class action lawsuit against detuning the cars (if that in fact turns out to be the fix). We paid for SC and certain HP and would be none too happy to walk out of service with less HP...
Question 2: what if the neutering is buried in a generic "update" line item on the invoice and the dealer claims "proprietary" information thereby refusing to release details about the nature of the update. We won't even know what hit us to say nothing of its actual effects! Short of a dyno, how do we even "prove" that HP loss has taken place?
Old 01-30-2021, 10:35 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,491 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by ASF-NS
I called my local dealer in Chicago's northern suburbs to inquire about my car's (2015 4S w/SC) inclusion in the campaign. The service advisor said it was not included based on my VIN, but added he really didn't know much about the campaign.

After skimming this thread, I'm surprised to read that so many had the similar experience of their dealers "not knowing much about it". I find this hard to believe. Dealers know that most P-car owners are students of the brand, that they take care of their cars and have paid for and demand a high level of service. More importantly, this campaign must be hurting THEM.

Thoughts?
ASF-NS
Agree. Also surprised that there has been absolutely nothing about this in the last two issues of Panorama.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:45 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bemo
I wonder whether we can start a class action lawsuit against detuning the cars (if that in fact turns out to be the fix). We paid for SC and certain HP and would be none too happy to walk out of service with less HP...
Question 2: what if the neutering is buried in a generic "update" line item on the invoice and the dealer claims "proprietary" information thereby refusing to release details about the nature of the update. We won't even know what hit us to say nothing of its actual effects! Short of a dyno, how do we even "prove" that HP loss has taken place?
Well, Porsche will most likely be required to make a payment to you to compensate for it. VW paid about $5k per owner in Dieselgate. Owner had options: 1.) accept payment and keep car with software reflash, 2.) make VW buyback vehicle at FMV and dump it, or 3.) do nothing....no money but I will keep my car and do not touch it. Only a State requiring strict annual emissions testing (maybe Califormia? don't know for sure?) before annual registration and license renewal could monitor and enforce any proposed "fix".

Porsche recently sent out a notice that the wife's Cayenne needed to have its ECU flashed under warranty. I called service advisor and had him send me copy of the work bulletin to read, review and consent before I made an appointment for the fix.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:46 AM
ottodawg
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by ASF-NS
I called my local dealer in Chicago's northern suburbs to inquire about my car's (2015 4S w/SC) inclusion in the campaign. The service advisor said it was not included based on my VIN, but added he really didn't know much about the campaign.

After skimming this thread, I'm surprised to read that so many had the similar experience of their dealers "not knowing much about it". I find this hard to believe. Dealers know that most P-car owners are students of the brand, that they take care of their cars and have paid for and demand a high level of service. More importantly, this campaign must be hurting THEM.

Thoughts?
ASF-NS
It's a "Stop Sale Campaign", unless your car is for sale and in dealer inventory, why would your VIN be included? When they come up with a "fix", your VIN will be included.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:04 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by ottodawg
It's a "Stop Sale Campaign", unless your car is for sale and in dealer inventory, why would your VIN be included? When they come up with a "fix", your VIN will be included.

This makes sense.

Unless specific information comes out from Porsche, everything is just speculation. My advice is to deal with it once the official bulletin comes out, which will probably be similar to what was done with VW Dieselgate.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:11 AM
My991
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Well, Porsche will most likely be required to make a payment to you to compensate for it. VW paid about $5k per owner in Dieselgate. Owner had options: 1.) accept payment and keep car with software reflash, 2.) make VW buyback vehicle at FMV and dump it, or 3.) do nothing....no money but I will keep my car and do not touch it. Only a State requiring strict annual emissions testing (maybe Califormia? don't know for sure?) before annual registration and license renewal could monitor and enforce any proposed "fix".

Porsche recently sent out a notice that the wife's Cayenne needed to have its ECU flashed under warranty. I called service advisor and had him send me copy of the work bulletin to read, review and consent before I made an appointment for the fix.
I would go with “1)” and get it tuned soon after,
“3)” makes no sense since these cars get sold nationwide
Old 01-30-2021, 12:45 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,249 Likes on 753 Posts

Look at the bright side, you may be able to sell it back to Porsche at FMV and upgrade to a .2 PDK.
Mind you it'll take you some time to adjust to the improved performance...

The following users liked this post:
SFZ GT3 (01-30-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 12:46 PM
ASF-NS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ottodawg
Thanks for clarifying. I thought ALL VINs were included for cars w/SC, etc.

Best,
Old 01-30-2021, 01:01 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by .2PDK
Look at the bright side, you may be able to sell it back to Porsche at FMV and upgrade to a .2 PDK.
IF, you wish to accept all the downside to a turbo which goes along with the upside. As they say in the Ozarks, “ I’ve never seen a pancake so flat that it did not have two sides.” I am very happy with my NA flat sixes and do not see a turbo anything anywhere in my future any time soon. One size shoe does not fit everyone,.....and the world would be a very boring place if it did.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fullyield:
Guards_Red_991 (01-31-2021), Porsche911GTS'16 (01-31-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 01:21 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by yoda888
Just saw this https://www.yahoo.com/news/porsche-o...171921863.html. Looks like the stop sale has gone mainstream. My question is will this affect the performance of the cars with the "fix" and if so, will owners be compensated? Though probably only 5-10% of the owners actually track their cars.
Why must it impact performance. Just playing devil's advocate here. Chip companies can reprogram for a slight output increase and remain emission complaint. Why can Porsche not do the same. I get the logic behind the concern, but does anyone know for sure it will detune or is that just the speculation.
Old 01-30-2021, 01:31 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 290 Posts

How do we know the HP will change?

I would wait and see what changes and then decide what to do.

If you cannot tell the difference then does it matter?

If the HP drops off then that is a different situation.
Old 01-30-2021, 01:44 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Originally Posted by Fullyield
IF, you wish to accept all the downside to a turbo which goes along with the upside. As they say in the Ozarks, “ I’ve never seen a pancake so flat that it did not have two sides.” I am very happy with my NA flat sixes and do not see a turbo anything anywhere in my future any time soon. One size shoe does not fit everyone,.....and the world would be a very boring place if it did.
Smart money says the PDK would upset him more...
Old 01-30-2021, 01:45 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by .2PDK
I can always rely on your entertainment!!

My fall back strategy would be to sell and enjoy the NA bimmers, or cough up for a GT.

Let's see how this mess goes....
Old 01-30-2021, 01:53 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

I can always rely on your entertainment!!
Bless you...
Old 01-30-2021, 04:12 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Assuming this happens, it might help if someone had some dyno numbers before and after the reflash.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale Campaign on 911 with Sport Chrono?