991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 04:40 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer

Price bump and likelihood that it could be last of the N/A RS's virtually guarantees that fewer will get tracked and more will get wrapped.
lol
Old 02-14-2015, 04:43 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts

Very simple: for the guys that want max performance on the track but don't want to tow. Not something I advocate but there are folks out there that fit this profile. The Florida DE crowd fit that bill to a T but almost all have since wised up and bought real race cars for tracking.

Price bump and likelihood that it could be last of the N/A RS's virtually guarantees that fewer will get tracked and more will get wrapped.
Originally Posted by Macca
I agree 100%. But then you could buy a 2008 997.1 GT3 cup car for much less than 991 GT3 and make the same argument. On slicks it would be fractionally faster than 991 GT3 on factory tires same driver.

Why doe people buy GT3. Mostly prestige and convenience. It means you can own one car for all occasions although it may never be the best in any one category. For RS reason is often also for collect-ability and retention of value.
Originally Posted by jbkonis
I want the RS simply because it's the most bad ***.

Ideally I see myself with a GT4 and RS, or GT3 and RS if I can swing it.
I suppose I'm in an intermediate category then. I considered the 996 and 997 cup, but am not yet ready to commit to towing, since my home track is less than 1.5 hrs away, the drive is usually pleasant, and other factors (trailer storage, laziness, etc.). At the time I decided to make the purchase, since the 991 GT3 was the only available factory Porsche made for the track, but fully usable on the road, I decided to get it, even though it costs more than I'd like to spend on a track car. I see the GT4 as a viable alternative, but am somewhat preferential towards the 911 platform, so more likely to get a GT4 as an addition rather than replacement (wife tracks also, so two track cars is ok).
Old 02-14-2015, 04:44 PM
GT3Bang
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

My speculation on the new RS is:

In the past it has been a question of if you thought the extra costs of the RS was worth it.
I believe what we will see on the new GT3RS vs. GT3 will be a matter of what you prefer rather than a question of money.

Only speculation from my side, but only time will tell

GT3Bang
Old 02-14-2015, 05:03 PM
GT3Bang
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to clarify: the RS will be more expensive than the GT3RS, but I believe the RS will be more different than what we have seen in the past.

GT3Bang
Old 02-14-2015, 05:31 PM
Slip
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 21 Posts

I know a dozen guys on this board who will drive them hard at track but they are a very niche group globally...

All IMHO of course :-)
Yep, the first thing I'll be doing is swapping out all the items from my GT3 into the RS such as front cage, headers, straight through pipes, will also fit up the Mo'vit ceramics.

Then I'll flog it to within an inch of its life at the track every opportunity there is. The only time it will see a normal road will be driving to and from the track. Might even put it on a boat over to NZ and tour the tracks of the long white cloud with Macca.... Can't wait !!
Old 02-14-2015, 05:50 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The slide below is from PAG. The blue circle is where its been told to me the RS will sit...
Awesome chart Macca. Although I would've loved to see the GT3RS more than 'slightly' above the GT3 in the performance metric. Maybe you should show it to your source and have them confirm where it plots on the graph.

As far as performance/track/track day cars are concerned, I'd pay goooooooooood money for a chart like that to include not just Porsches, but every car from a Mazda Miata Miata to a Ferrari FXX K - then hang it on the wall.

Good Stuff!
Old 02-14-2015, 06:30 PM
GoHardGT3RS
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Very simple: for the guys that want max performance on the track but don't want to tow. Not something I advocate but there are folks out there that fit this profile.
100% correct, Nizer ... And I am in this target group you mention !
Old 02-14-2015, 06:32 PM
GoHardGT3RS
Instructor

Originally Posted by jbkonis
I want the RS simply because it's the most bad ***.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:36 PM
GoHardGT3RS
Instructor

I know a dozen guys on this board who will drive hem hard at track but they are a very niche group globally...
I am one of those (hence my forum name !)... living 75 minutes away from the Ring and Spa in Belgium, it would be a shame not to drive it hard on track
Old 02-14-2015, 06:40 PM
GoHardGT3RS
Instructor

The premium price for the GT3 RS vs. GT3 is only a cash flow element: A RS holds value better than the GT3 so you have a better ROI at the end with the RS. I have made the experience with a 997.2 GT3 and then a 997.2 GT3 RS.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:53 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Slip
Yep, the first thing I'll be doing is swapping out all the items from my GT3 into the RS such as front cage, headers, straight through pipes, will also fit up the Mo'vit ceramics. Then I'll flog it to within an inch of its life at the track every opportunity there is. The only time it will see a normal road will be driving to and from the track. Might even put it on a boat over to NZ and tour the tracks of the long white cloud with Macca.... Can't wait !!
Hey Seb bring it on mate!!!

We are attending South Island track your mid March 2016. It's all four tracks in South Island including Highlands. We did it last year and based ourselves out of Queenstown. Best time ever and some great driving roads between days on track. You need 10 days to pull it off assuming your car is all ready for you at Highlands. You should join us - I'll send you through details later in year when they are available - it's not expensive and we will reserve our own 10 car group but it does get heavily subscribed...
Old 02-14-2015, 06:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Slip
Yep, the first thing I'll be doing is swapping out all the items from my GT3 into the RS such as front cage, headers, straight through pipes, will also fit up the Mo'vit ceramics. Then I'll flog it to within an inch of its life at the track every opportunity there is. The only time it will see a normal road will be driving to and from the track. Might even put it on a boat over to NZ and tour the tracks of the long white cloud with Macca.... Can't wait !!
Seb I can't wait! join us next year mid March for South Island Track tour 10 days takes in all tracks including Highlands. We did it last year with our own group of 10 and it was epic - based out of Queenstown and lots of great driving roads to see. Fills up fast so I'll drop you details. When I have them....
Old 02-14-2015, 07:09 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GoHardGT3RS
The premium price for the GT3 RS vs. GT3 is only a cash flow element: A RS holds value better than the GT3 so you have a better ROI at the end with the RS. I have made the experience with a 997.2 GT3 and then a 997.2 GT3 RS.
I agree with you but many find RS just too much to risk or to insure on track. Also many like myself with my wife cover 7-8000 km a year doing "track tours" and with this amount of touring the 991 GT3 is just perfect. When the GT4 arrives the GT3 will become more track dedicated and for touring and the GT4 for fast back road weekend drives and Targa Tarmac rally style events.

I guess it depends on your wallet and how hard core you are. I've just found the "ease" of a modern Porsche after 14 years with my 993RS spec which is track modified and very "focused" compared to the modern stuff...
Old 02-14-2015, 07:41 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Unfortunately I think you are right especially in some RHD markets like UK where used 991 GT3 values are already 50% above what they sold for in 2013/14! Speculators are already estimating UK new 991 GT3RS will immediately change hands +50K GBP premium! Less than 20% of production is RHD and only 20% of that 20% will get used regulkarly on teh track I believe. Due to Porsche appreciation bubble world wide my money is on the fact that 991 GT3 RS will immediately become collectable and this no so easy to validate hard usage on track. A real shame but as you say most will become Wrapped not Tracked. I know a dozen guys on this board who will drive hem hard at track but they are a very niche group globally... All IMHO of course :-)
This is very true, also because you have to be a heck of a driver to push any RS and be comfortable. We just got of track and I was really taken to school today by an awesome driver. He showed me what my 6.3 can really do!!!! Got some work to do tomorrow. 😉
Old 02-14-2015, 07:44 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

My '11 GT3RS was fun to look at and occasionally drive (I don't track my cars) but that was about it. If I get an allocation I may do it but I may not trade my GT3 in on it. The GT3 would be hard to replace if I decide the RS is too hard core. Wish I could drive one first.

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread