Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 03:41 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I was told June sales start in the US - this was back in early October but everything else has turned out to be correct other than the No RWS.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:58 PM
Peterfirst
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macca
Marco. I'm told beginning of week 17. I have no idea when that is but end April beginning May I think. Cars then will start being delivered beginning of June if this is true...
Hi Macca:

Yes we Germans (Europeans) often use with week # in the business world.
Week 17 is from Mo April 20th to Su April 26th. This is just one week shy of the first Porsche Sports Cup event at Nuerburgring GP track. I know at least one (very fast) guy who intents to race the RS in the Sports Cup (he used to run a GT2RS so far) so he is hoping the car arrives on time for the event.
I was also told on another occasion that future owners who want to run the cars at the PSC will get cars first.
Well I want to run it also at the PSC so I need my car also very early
Honestly I am quite ok to run my GT3 - so as long as the RS arrives before summer than I am happy!
And I am running not the race series in the PSC but the PZ Trophy which allows you to run under (standard) insurance coverage and it is aimed for consistent lap timing (but that does not necessarily stop ones from going afap
Cheers

Peter

PS: this actually shows that the RS indeed will be used in racing as the 991GT3 already has been used last year in the PSC with some impressive fast times
Old 02-16-2015, 04:06 PM
Peterfirst
Rennlist Member

Hockenheimring is quite a fast track and tough on the brakes. it is approx. 2.8 mls long.
Times are from 2014 PSC event qualifying
Old 02-16-2015, 04:07 PM
Peterfirst
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Peterfirst

Hockenheimring is quite a fast track and tough on the brakes. it is approx. 2.8 mls long.
Times are from 2014 PSC event qualifying
Not me so - I was a second slower
Old 02-16-2015, 04:18 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
This will be all about lap times and that is not to say, that one could not argue that the GT3 is not really suited for me because I do not track. The RS will be a beast on the track - that is for certain
The RS will not be the fastest on the track and not really even a beast. Much cheaper race buggies will beat it on the track. In the higher price range (for those serious about lap times), the 991 Cup car will beat it too. Which is why I remain confused that at the high RS price point it will neither be a good street car nor will it be invincible on track. Most (though not all owners) will be afraid to drive it too much, fearing depreciation, and making it the ferrari type garage queen of the 911 line up.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:12 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
The RS will not be the fastest on the track and not really even a beast. Much cheaper race buggies will beat it on the track. In the higher price range (for those serious about lap times), the 991 Cup car will beat it too. Which is why I remain confused that at the high RS price point it will neither be a good street car nor will it be invincible on track. Most (though not all owners) will be afraid to drive it too much, fearing depreciation, and making it the ferrari type garage queen of the 911 line up.
Unless there is something major we are missing in the RS specifications that will be revealed in Geneva and surprise us all, I agree completely. I would guess a Crawford Wing equipped GT3 will come within fractions of a second of GT3RS Lap times and be far more comfortable and quieter inside on long drives as a street car. As an HPDE car, the skill of the driver and the car's preparation will trump the relatively minor RS track enhancements and a stock 991 Turbo will eat its lunch at stoplights on the street - all IMHO of course.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:23 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I find all the bashing of the RS to be quite funny. No one knows how much faster better handling it will be over the standard 3. Me thinks there is a lot of denial going on around here...meaning people who deep down want the RS but will not pay the price of admission for whatever reason.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:27 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the RS is has serious downforce and serious power there is no reason to think it cant be viciously fast on the track. Even beating the GT2 RS. But, one wonders if the 4.0 DFI engine they're using is tuned to its maximum power at 500HP or so since that's the number thats often quoted. That said, if it is going to be more extreme than he GT3, then it must have closer to 530 HP to handle the downforce needed for the higher speeds.

I agree with the above, a Formula 4 car will blow it away nonetheless.

Edit: Spelling
Old 02-16-2015, 05:31 PM
karimgt3
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
I find all the bashing of the RS to be quite funny. No one knows how much faster better handling it will be over the standard 3. Me thinks there is a lot of denial going on around here...meaning people who deep down want the RS but will not pay the price of admission for whatever reason.
Totally agree..
Old 02-16-2015, 05:49 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm curious how many of the upgrades to the RS will be easy to bolt on to the regular GT3.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:50 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Can't see why Lane myself or any others commenting could be accused of bagging the RS. We all have GT3 and most with RS or GT4 on order and all of us can afford an RS. You have to remember the RS was conceived 4 years ago and the specification pretty much set in stone 2 years ago when AP told us what to expect! He said extreme, track focused, biggest changed yet between the to variants. That's what we will get. Extreme visuals track oriented aero gearing and suspension and a vehicle definitely less suited for the road. What I don't think we will get is huge HP although I expect the torque bump will be nice.....
Old 02-16-2015, 05:53 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts
Wink

The 991 Specs (unless Geneva surprises)
leave space and i guess were limited by design for a 991.2 RS 530-550 hp

i will live in my 991GT3 close to 991RS spec comfortable numb till that time either Geneva 2015 or 2018

so it s not price for admission here, who can afford a 991GT3 does not really care

but disappointement after so long waiting

but those turbo fenders make me hoping for surprises anyway i am an optimist
Old 02-16-2015, 06:05 PM
mrwheels
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Translation via Google

Porsche 911 GT3 RS (Type 991) debuts on March 2 '
The brand new Porsche 911 GT3 RS (Type 991) will debut on the eve of the Geneva Motor Show on March 2, or so claims the usually well-informed motoring journalist Andrew Frankel in Autocar.

Larger hole
The launch will take nine months later than Porsche had initially planned. The German automaker had this extra months however necessary to fire problem that the "regular" 911 GT3 swept to remedy.

It is remarkable that Wolfgang Hatz, R & D manager of Porsche, has promised that the gap between the GT3 and GT3 RS will be greater than ever before with the 911. This is not achieved by reducing the weight of the RS, but also by all kinds of aerodynamic modifications - with substantially more downforce due - and applying the widest chassis, turbo body.

Ring
In addition, the 911 GT3 RS will have at their disposal a completely newly developed engine with an output of 500 hp, is expected coupled with a PDK gearbox. This new engine will also form the basis of the turbo engines that will be in the second generation of the 991 back virtually any standard 911 found.

Porsche has released no lap at Nurburgring, but is spoken in the corridors of less than 7:20 minutes. Thus, the new GT3 RS would come awfully close to the lap record of 911, the 7:18 minute who scored the 611pk strong 911 GT2 RS in 2011.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like a re hash of the Frankel piece form last month. He must be cringing seeing that "all new engine" piece being rehashed. Hatz has probably apologised he used the wrong working and moved on leaving Andrew with the dunce hack hat of the year award!
Old 02-16-2015, 06:22 PM
AgP1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
danke!!!!!

theres some german, lol
Yes Dutch,
The AutoCar reference is from this link:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-geneva-motor-show/porsche-plans-911-gt3-rs-supercar-turbo-911-range-and-new-918

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread