Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 01:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,671 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
Saw this in the turbo forum. The sports buttons appears to have been relocated to the wheel. Hopefully this will be implemented in the RS.

Originally Posted by Macca
That interior shot looks photo-shopped. The 918 style steering wheel we have seen already on the 991 GT3 mules has no buttons in it like this.

I'm not sure I like the simplified 918 wheel as much as the one in the 991 GT3. I've only seen this wheel in the Macan, maybe that put me off, but it looks like its on everything now and its not as nice as the wheel on the 918. The holes look odd when they aren't filled with buttons like on the 918.

Its on the GT4 too nso I guess Ill reverse judgement till Ive used it.
Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
The leaked document also stated that the Pit Lane speed limiter is on the center console. I don't know why it wouldn't be on the wheel like the 918 red button.
These changes are for the .2 991's arriving 2016.
RS is .1 2015
Old 02-27-2015, 01:29 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
The wheel is ok on my wife's Macan - with things like voice control, a stereo you actually use, nav etc it's beneficial. I don't think it adds much to the typical GT car usage.
very nice application in the macan and cayenne, but i think P intends to put them in everything, including the gt cars.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:31 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Can you provide a little bit more depth on the comparison with your McLaren… I thought the McLaren with its airbrake was unbeatable under deceleration? How can a car that fast be trounced in any category?
Ok, quick unedited brain dump...

Actually, McLaren deceleration is a big issue. Airbrake helps, I'm sure, but the car is very under braked mechanically (i have steel brakes, CCB are much better but few optioned them on the MP4-12C). Track pads help slightly, and the issue isn't fade, it's just hard to get the car to stop. The car also doesn't have a LSD and can be a little squirrelly under hard decel...not really an issue in my experience, but not confidence inspiring either. In the GT3 (granted I was entering braking zone at 135-140 vs. 150 in the Mac) I could brake so so so much later. Staggeringly so. The CCB brakes on the GT3 (have only driven it with CCB) are really incredible.

Steering accuracy, feedback and weighting is far better in the GT3. I can put the car where I want it. In the mac, I'm fighting the car the whole time. The 12C also understeers like a pig. The GT3 with the exact same MPSC2 tires (ok 235 vs 245 in front) has more grip. Much more. The GT3 is very planted.

Throttle modulation is more manageable and accurate in the GT3. The mclaren with it's turbo engine and featherlight throttle pedal action is sort of useless for any sort of fine tuned throttle input. Want to lift slightly to get the nose to turn in...? Yeah, that ain't happening in the mac. The car also complains incessantly about tire pressures, tpm faults, tranny over heat, getting TC off is an adventure which requires a playstation code and 2-3 car restarts to engage. It's a tremendous, yet finicky machine. It doesn't like to be ridden hard.

The ferrari surprised me a bit. I found both the steering and especially throttle to be a bit sharp and synthetic. Throttle inputs tended to lurch the car forward more than I expected. I had less time in the 458, and wasn't driving it quite as hard, so perhaps a bit unfair. Honestly though the 458 felt very wide and the seats were horrific for any kind of track driving.

On the street, the 12C is simply amazing and in contrast to all my track criticisms, I do absolutely love the car. It is so much more of an event to drive on the road than the GT3. The usable and ever stunning power delivery is just never ending fun. In searing metallic orange and in spyder form it's also great if you're feeling social - it draws a tremendous amount of attention. Anyone who says these cars aren't exotic looking has never driven one in a loud color near other humans.

But...on the track - if I have to drive a current generation street car (excluding odd ***** like atom, mono, etc), there is no doubt in my mind that the 991 GT3 is the one. (I'll also lob the huracan into the comparison as I had a few laps in it too - impressive car for sure, but still for extended track action GT3 all the way)

How's that for a flip-flop of opinion??
Old 02-27-2015, 01:39 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

great feedback Hoop
Old 02-27-2015, 01:51 PM
lumber
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Great explanation Hoop.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:52 PM
lumber
Burning Brakes

With my cars spending 100% of their time on B roads, I wonder how the rs will fare as a pure street driver?
That's where the Mac and r8 shine. I have to admit.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:56 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Ok, quick unedited brain dump...

Actually, McLaren deceleration is a big issue. Airbrake helps, I'm sure, but the car is very under braked mechanically (i have steel brakes, CCB are much better but few optioned them on the MP4-12C). Track pads help slightly, and the issue isn't fade, it's just hard to get the car to stop. The car also doesn't have a LSD and can be a little squirrelly under hard decel...not really an issue in my experience, but not confidence inspiring either. In the GT3 (granted I was entering braking zone at 135-140 vs. 150 in the Mac) I could brake so so so much later. Staggeringly so. The CCB brakes on the GT3 (have only driven it with CCB) are really incredible.

Steering accuracy, feedback and weighting is far better in the GT3. I can put the car where I want it. In the mac, I'm fighting the car the whole time. The 12C also understeers like a pig. The GT3 with the exact same MPSC2 tires (ok 235 vs 245 in front) has more grip. Much more. The GT3 is very planted.

Throttle modulation is more manageable and accurate in the GT3. The mclaren with it's turbo engine and featherlight throttle pedal action is sort of useless for any sort of fine tuned throttle input. Want to lift slightly to get the nose to turn in...? Yeah, that ain't happening in the mac. The car also complains incessantly about tire pressures, tpm faults, tranny over heat, getting TC off is an adventure which requires a playstation code and 2-3 car restarts to engage. It's a tremendous, yet finicky machine. It doesn't like to be ridden hard.

The ferrari surprised me a bit. I found both the steering and especially throttle to be a bit sharp and synthetic. Throttle inputs tended to lurch the car forward more than I expected. I had less time in the 458, and wasn't driving it quite as hard, so perhaps a bit unfair. Honestly though the 458 felt very wide and the seats were horrific for any kind of track driving.

On the street, the 12C is simply amazing and in contrast to all my track criticisms, I do absolutely love the car. It is so much more of an event to drive on the road than the GT3. The usable and ever stunning power delivery is just never ending fun. In searing metallic orange and in spyder form it's also great if you're feeling social - it draws a tremendous amount of attention. Anyone who says these cars aren't exotic looking has never driven one in a loud color near other humans.

But...on the track - if I have to drive a current generation street car (excluding odd ***** like atom, mono, etc), there is no doubt in my mind that the 991 GT3 is the one. (I'll also lob the huracan into the comparison as I had a few laps in it too - impressive car for sure, but still for extended track action GT3 all the way)

How's that for a flip-flop of opinion??
Enjoyed that analysis, Rob. As for the "flip-flop" it takes a good man to admit a change of heart.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:01 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by lumber
With my cars spending 100% of their time on B roads, I wonder how the rs will fare as a pure street driver?
No one knows - but it's a relatively low risk option to try out, assuming you get the RS at MSRP. You'll be able to sell it for what you're into it or more if you decide it's not what you want.

I like very firm riding cars myself.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:03 PM
lumber
Burning Brakes

^agree
Old 02-27-2015, 02:10 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,965 Likes on 5,215 Posts

Originally Posted by lumber
Probably as well as a 458 Speciale. Or, in other words, not very.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:23 PM
biko
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a P1 and a 918 coming but candidly I am most interested in the GT3RS. "Cost is no object" cars is not as challenging as building great performance for a fraction of the cost.

I have driven the 12c, 650s, 650 Sprint on the track. The 650s is much better than the 12c on the track. However, all of them, including the 650 Sprint has this squirrelly feeling under very hard braking. You get used to it but it is a "unique" feeling. They are very easy to drive very fast on the track and do require a different technique than Porsches. Coming from many seasons in a 996 Cup, the Macs in comparison require less to muscle around and confidence in the brake steer technology.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:28 PM
Backroads
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
You may be right. I picked up the car and put the first 2000+ miles on it in Europe on some of the great driving roads. Im not shy to push on and often went for extended drives along in the hills and had a bit of fun. Down in New Zealand we have some truly great roads, quiet, hilly, tight, scenic (ask TRAKCAR as he was in NZ touring a few months back). Im a fast road driver, pick my times to go out and the routes but do like to push on, so add in some track work the GT3 experience for me is different probably than for many here in the USA. Ill be honest and say it doesnt come alive till Im breaking the law on a wide fast winding road, but I dont bother with those roads. On our tight backroads they are marked at 100kmph and sometimes you get to 140 between corners on a long straight but mostly you are doing 80-120 on roads with corners marked 25,45, 55 and this is where the joy truly is - you many not even break the speed limit but when yo thread say 60km of road together that has maybe 20 x 25kmph corners, 30 x 55 kmph corners, 4 x one lane bridges lots of bumps, compressions, bows and rises through beautiful country side then you are pushing that chassis hard without even being bad and its a real adrenaline trip. Then you turn around and do it the other way, go home around breakfast and enjoy the rest of the day pottering around the house knowing you have had god in your life already that day, the god of driving!

Perfectly expressed. I went up Hwy. 1 in Northern California yesterday. 180 miles round trip starting in Tomales. The original purpose was to get some cool pics of the car with the ocean in the background. Camera never came out of the bag. One ten minute break for nature and all I wanted was to get back to driving. Was thinking exactly what you're so well stating. Many sharp 180 degree corners. Accelerating out of them is a thrill. Speed limit is 55 mph but it is plenty fast as most corners are below that. The road goes to the cliff in many parts with a 600 ft. drop into the Pacific. Crystal clear day. No traffic. Turnaround and go back the same way and get a whole new experience and scenery. Great day. Great car (hit 2000 mile break-in on the drive. Took 26 days).
Old 02-27-2015, 02:28 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,965 Likes on 5,215 Posts

Originally Posted by biko
I have a P1 and a 918 coming but candidly I am most interested in the GT3RS. "Cost is no object" cars is not as challenging as building great performance for a fraction of the cost.
This is so true. And something many (esp. the media pundits) easily lose sight of.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:46 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Rob I really enjoyed you summing up the 12C. Im fascinated and have not heard benefited from such detailed user feedback yet as they are few and far between downunder. I always wanted to own one (in orange), But they are very expensive still here so I need them to depreciate a little more first. After reading your piece I know for sure it will be a road only car but Im cool with that too.

Nate. I think you hit it on te head when you said your wife has that wheel in the Macan. IMO PAG should never share a sports steering wheel design from an iconic megacar (918) with its wife cars LOL!

The 991 GT3RS gets the 918 style wheel but without the buttons as I understand it...
Old 02-27-2015, 04:03 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
These changes are for the .2 991's arriving 2016.
RS is .1 2015
Is the 991 gt3 RS really coming in as a MY2015????
That is what I first thought too. But take a look at this:

MYG means MY2016

It is indeed a .1 991 but it's apparently coming in as a MY2016!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

PS Vin Decoder
https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/vin-decoder/

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread