Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

OEM Navigation Retrofit DIY

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2023, 06:12 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,798 Likes on 875 Posts

Ok, so i was lazy and paid Sima to Teams Viewer in and do it for me. Now the dealer removed it and I need to reactivate AA, Carplay, and nav. I still have the memory card with the files loaded, can someone point me the the instructions just to install them in the PCM. Thanks!
Old 08-11-2023, 06:26 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Ok, so i was lazy and paid Sima to Teams Viewer in and do it for me. Now the dealer removed it and I need to reactivate AA, Carplay, and nav. I still have the memory card with the files loaded, can someone point me the the instructions just to install them in the PCM. Thanks!
I would reach out to him since you already paid him to do it.
Old 08-11-2023, 06:28 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 718socal
I would reach out to him since you already paid him to do it.
I did but whenever he is available, I am not and vice-versa. We have been playing this game for about three weeks and I was wondering it if was just easier for me to do it myself since I literally have the file sitting in the SD card that is still installed in the car.
Old 08-11-2023, 06:43 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 269 Posts

I did but whenever he is available, I am not and vice-versa. We have been playing this game for about three weeks and I was wondering it if was just easier for me to do it myself since I literally have the file sitting in the SD card that is still installed in the car.
I don't know how he does it. I think he uses Putty to connect to your PCM. Best to wait for him to do it.
The following users liked this post:
MaddMike (08-11-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 09:38 PM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts

did the dealer do some other update and the coded items were wiped out as a result of it? If so, what update?
Old 08-11-2023, 09:56 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,607 Likes on 2,692 Posts

@MaddMike, was this a result of the body damage you were having repaired? I too was wondering why the Dealer would have to code anything for body and paint?
The following users liked this post:
Z06jerry (08-12-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 12:12 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
@MaddMike, was this a result of the body damage you were having repaired? I too was wondering why the Dealer would have to code anything for body and paint?
Because the idiots (not my usual dealer) couldn't figure out why the GPS wasn't working (I never installed the antenna). Although I told the body shop about that, the Porsche dealer they bought it to to make sure all sensors etc. were working as intended, spent three days trying to "troubleshoot" it. During that process they obviously reset or relaoded the PCM software. They finally figured out what I was trying to tell them all along but when I got the car back it was back to stock.
Old 08-12-2023, 01:11 PM
Sharkiez
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Has anyone bricked their PCM a few months later after using MIB? Sima mentioned in another thread that it's only a matter of time before we run into issues. Idk if he's fear mongering.
Old 08-12-2023, 02:25 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sharkiez
Has anyone bricked their PCM a few months later after using MIB? Sima mentioned in another thread that it's only a matter of time before we run into issues. Idk if he's fear mongering.
Just curious how I would 'brick' a working PCM after it has been working for months or even a year... I too would like to know what issues he is referring to,

Do you know of users with 'bricked' PCM's?
Old 08-12-2023, 02:28 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Because the idiots (not my usual dealer) couldn't figure out why the GPS wasn't working (I never installed the antenna). Although I told the body shop about that, the Porsche dealer they bought it to to make sure all sensors etc. were working as intended, spent three days trying to "troubleshoot" it. During that process they obviously reset or relaoded the PCM software. They finally figured out what I was trying to tell them all along but when I got the car back it was back to stock.
Ahhh, yes I recall you mentioned this somewhere, the 'missing' GPS antenna... bugger!

Last edited by Westcoast; 08-12-2023 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-12-2023, 03:58 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Ahhh, yes I recall you mentioned this somewhere, the 'missing' GPS antenna... bugger!
Finally aligned with Sima and I'm back on AA. Now I just need to install that antenna.
The following 2 users liked this post by MaddMike:
Westcoast (08-12-2023), Z06jerry (08-13-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 05:53 PM
Sharkiez
Intermediate

Just curious how I would 'brick' a working PCM after it has been working for months or even a year... I too would like to know what issues he is referring to,

Do you know of users with 'bricked' PCM's?
He mentioned it in this post. It seems hard to believe this could brick PCM.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1049...l#post18438016
Old 08-12-2023, 06:38 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sharkiez
He mentioned it in this post. It seems hard to believe this could brick PCM.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1049...l#post18438016
When someone says bricked, I think that the unit is unrepairable. Did you read what was said it was a software issue, repairable. The PCM is a computer that runs on firmware/software, if through a power bump, memory fault or bad read/write some piece of data gets corrupted then it quite likely will not run, just like any computer, and don't forget the hardware is also subject to failure.

Good on Sima for finding the problem and fixing it, not magic or a better way just a tech finding the problem and resolving it. This can happen to a PCM that no one has touched, we are on our 4th PCM in our Macan...
Old 08-12-2023, 06:47 PM
Sharkiez
Intermediate

When someone says bricked, I think that the unit is unrepairable. Did you read what was said it was a software issue, repairable. The PCM is a computer that runs on firmware/software, if through a power bump, memory fault or bad read/write some piece of data gets corrupted then it quite likely will not run, just like any computer, and don't forget the hardware is also subject to failure.

Good on Sima for finding the problem and fixing it, not magic or a better way just a tech finding the problem and resolving it. This can happen to a PCM that no one has touched, we are on our 4th PCM in our Macan...
That has got to be some kind of record. How did the 3 PCMs fail? 😂
Old 08-12-2023, 07:24 PM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts

Seems hard to believe that enabling a factory option will eventually result in a PCM failure. Why eventually? Does running NAV (when enabled outside of the factory) somehow slowly deteriorate the PCM?

Quick Reply: OEM Navigation Retrofit DIY