Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

OEM Navigation Retrofit DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 10:55 AM
Der Tgr
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 144 Posts

Hey all - going to give this a whirl today to see if I can enable AA on my '22 Spyder. My car has factory Nav and Bose, but no Carplay. I am an android user and would really like to have AA enabled. I had SIMA enable AA on my Macan, but if I understand correctly, using a service such as his is no longer necessary....but perhaps I'm misunderstanding something.

Is this understanding correct?: I can download the file MHI2_US_POG11_K5186_1MU1476_AOI_20220723.7z, unzip it to the root directory of a FAT32 formatted SD card (mine is 32GB), insert that into the SD card slot in my car, allow it to work its magic and when it is complete, Android Auto will be enabled on my car? No need to get SIMA to remote in, no need to code anything with PIWIS....nothing other than the simple steps above? If that is true, it is incredible!
Old 05-14-2023, 11:17 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,670 Likes on 2,717 Posts

Originally Posted by Der Tgr
Hey all - going to give this a whirl today to see if I can enable AA on my '22 Spyder. My car has factory Nav and Bose, but no Carplay. I am an android user and would really like to have AA enabled. I had SIMA enable AA on my Macan, but if I understand correctly, using a service such as his is no longer necessary....but perhaps I'm misunderstanding something.

Is this understanding correct?: I can download the file MHI2_US_POG11_K5186_1MU1476_AOI_20220723.7z, unzip it to the root directory of a FAT32 formatted SD card (mine is 32GB), insert that into the SD card slot in my car, allow it to work its magic and when it is complete, Android Auto will be enabled on my car? No need to get SIMA to remote in, no need to code anything with PIWIS....nothing other than the simple steps above? If that is true, it is incredible!
You are correct, AIO will do exactly what you are looking for, NAV and Bose will still be there along with CarPlay, Android Auto will be enabled... Questions?
The following 2 users liked this post by Westcoast:
718socal (05-14-2023), Der Tgr (05-14-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 11:21 AM
Der Tgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
You are correct, AIO will do exactly what you are looking for, NAV and Bose will still be there along with CarPlay, Android Auto will be enabled... Questions?
Holy moly! That is great! Thanks for the comfirmation - going to give it a go....will post any questions as they arise.
The following users liked this post:
718socal (05-14-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 05:07 PM
Der Tgr
Rennlist Member

Delete.....

Last edited by Der Tgr; 05-14-2023 at 06:50 PM. Reason: delete
Old 05-14-2023, 06:48 PM
Der Tgr
Rennlist Member

Thank you so much @718socal for all the work you and @CaneTLOTW have put into this - it is really great to have this resource and ability to access all the features in the PCM. As stated above, my install went very well, except the very last step. After the update completed, I was trying to access GEM mode by pressing the CAR and TUNER icons on the screen rather than the physical buttons. D'oh! Now I feel like a real dullard.....but, at least I know I'm not alone! Anyway, I have now removed the SD card form the slot and realize that in order to access GEM to run the SVC Fix I need to have the SD card in there.....can I simply reinsert it and access GEM? I am afraid that reinserting the SD card will auto start the whole process again. Maybe the better question is: do I need to run SVC Fix at all? I really don't know what it actually does - just that I was supposed to run it.....
718socal (05-14-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 07:40 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thank you so much @718socal for all the work you and @CaneTLOTW have put into this - it is really great to have this resource and ability to access all the features in the PCM. As stated above, my install went very well, except the very last step. After the update completed, I was trying to access GEM mode by pressing the CAR and TUNER icons on the screen rather than the physical buttons. D'oh! Now I feel like a real dullard.....but, at least I know I'm not alone! Anyway, I have now removed the SD card form the slot and realize that in order to access GEM to run the SVC Fix I need to have the SD card in there.....can I simply reinsert it and access GEM? I am afraid that reinserting the SD card will auto start the whole process again. Maybe the better question is: do I need to run SVC Fix at all? I really don't know what it actually does - just that I was supposed to run it.....

Good to hear, IIRC the autorun file gets renamed on the SD card so it shouldn't start again when inserted. The SVM corrects and error that can be posted due to the version change in the PCM, yes you should run this and the back-up routine from GEM
Old 05-14-2023, 07:48 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 286 Posts

You forgot to thank Westcoast and others. We work as a team and It is nice to get feedback from people who have successfully used AIO.
Der Tgr (05-14-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 08:10 PM
Der Tgr
Rennlist Member

I am very appreciative for all involved - didn't mean to omit anyone.....hopefully @Westcoast and all the other contributors didn't take offense as none was meant.
The following 3 users liked this post by Der Tgr:
718socal (05-14-2023), GTSPYDER23 (05-17-2023), Z06jerry (05-14-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 08:14 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I am very appreciative for all involved - didn't mean to omit anyone.....hopefully @Westcoast and all the other contributors didn't take offense as none was meant.
No worries, happy to help when ever I can!
Old 05-14-2023, 09:49 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 286 Posts

It was a joke. Sorry if it came as a criticism. We are all here to help each other. @Westcoast has more experience with AA than the rest of us.
The following 3 users liked this post by 718socal:
Der Tgr (05-14-2023), GTSPYDER23 (05-17-2023), Z06jerry (05-15-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 06:20 PM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 82 Posts

Just finished doing the "P87" map update for 2022-23. Took 30 minutes during a drive. Thanks to all that make this easy for us.
The following 3 users liked this post by Fast-Eddie:
718socal (05-17-2023), GTSPYDER23 (05-17-2023), Westcoast (05-17-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 10:52 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Hey guys. This is an awesome thread! I went through the entire thread. Ton of thanks to great many contributors and @718socal in particular for initiating this super useful DIY.

I'm in the process of trying this. Mine is MY23 Spyder. First step is to figure out if I have the GPS antenna. I dread the idea of pulling out the PCM as I have difficulty getting the Center Console trim pieces out; they are extremely hard to pry out. Regardless, my first question is, is there a consistent way to trigger the GEM screen? When I press CAR + TUNER at the same time, nothing happens. I was able to get that screen just once; subsequently, I'm not able to get in GEM. For how long CAR + TUNER be kept pressed? I tried up to 10 seconds.

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2023, 01:57 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the_rider
Hey guys. This is an awesome thread! I went through the entire thread. Ton of thanks to great many contributors and @718socal in particular for initiating this super useful DIY.

I'm in the process of trying this. Mine is MY23 Spyder. First step is to figure out if I have the GPS antenna. I dread the idea of pulling out the PCM as I have difficulty getting the Center Console trim pieces out; they are extremely hard to pry out. Regardless, my first question is, is there a consistent way to trigger the GEM screen? When I press CAR + TUNER at the same time, nothing happens. I was able to get that screen just once; subsequently, I'm not able to get in GEM. For how long CAR + TUNER be kept pressed? I tried up to 10 seconds.

Thanks.
Henry, the key is pressing them at the same time... it should only be a few seconds.

That being said have you installed anything via the process here? The reason I ask, is what are you looking to do? It likely has the GPS antenna considering the build date, I would recommend the AIO process, easier and faster,
718socal (05-23-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 10:27 AM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Henry, the key is pressing them at the same time... it should only be a few seconds.

That being said have you installed anything via the process here? The reason I ask, is what are you looking to do? It likely has the GPS antenna considering the build date, I would recommend the AIO process, easier and faster,
Two things come to mind:

1. You need to hit the actual CAR and TUNER buttons below the PCM screen... not the screen icons.
2. I think you need to have the SD card inserted or PCM rebooting from SD card to access GEM. I don't think GEM is 'generally available' with out the SD card inserted.

@718socal Can you confirm or correct point 2 above... not sure of the requirements to access GEM.
718socal (05-23-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 10:53 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fast-Eddie
Two things come to mind:

1. You need to hit the actual CAR and TUNER buttons below the PCM screen... not the screen icons.
2. I think you need to have the SD card inserted or PCM rebooting from SD card to access GEM. I don't think GEM is 'generally available' with out the SD card inserted.

@718socal Can you confirm or correct point 2 above... not sure of the requirements to access GEM.
1, yes, you use the physical CAR/TUNER buttons to gain access to GEM, it takes about a 3 second hold to activate
2. You will need the SD card with MIB in the PCM to access anything other than the Production GEM options. So for checking the GPS antenna, the SD card must be in the PCM.
718socal (05-23-2023)

Quick Reply: OEM Navigation Retrofit DIY