Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

OEM Navigation Retrofit DIY

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2023, 01:15 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,812 Likes on 880 Posts

Funny story. My car was in the body shop for another issue. They sent it to Porsche to do the alignment and they were thinking something was wrong as they couldn't find the GPS antenna and they thought they had broken something. I tried to tell them that I had enabled the GPS and never installed the antenna which is sitting in my garage. Anyway, it took the dealership two days to figure it out.
Old 07-07-2023, 09:17 PM
mtregan
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Going to give this a try this weekend. Just want to make sure I've got the correct folder. Been reading through quite a bit of the posts. I think I'm confused since there have been several updates to the software since this thread first posted. Have Carplay and Bose, no navigation. Just looking to add navigation and then update the maps. If I'm understanding correctly I should only need the MHI2_US_PGO11_K5186_1_MU1476_AIO_20220723.7Z folder for the install and the P87_N60S5MIBH3-NAR_NT_3.21_2022-23.7z for the North American map updates?

I have both of those downloaded to my computer. Was able to copy the MHI2 folder to my SD card. It's a 64gb. When I try to copy the P87 folder 10.7GB, I get an error that it's too big for the SD card. I reformatted the card to FAT32 just to make sure there weren't any stray folders on there taking up space. It say 58.9GB of free space after the re-format. Reloaded the MHI2 file no problem. Tried the P87 folder and says too big again? Any thoughts?
Old 07-07-2023, 09:54 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,670 Likes on 2,717 Posts

Originally Posted by mtregan
Going to give this a try this weekend. Just want to make sure I've got the correct folder. Been reading through quite a bit of the posts. I think I'm confused since there have been several updates to the software since this thread first posted. Have Carplay and Bose, no navigation. Just looking to add navigation and then update the maps. If I'm understanding correctly I should only need the MHI2_US_PGO11_K5186_1_MU1476_AIO_20220723.7Z folder for the install and the P87_N60S5MIBH3-NAR_NT_3.21_2022-23.7z for the North American map updates?

I have both of those downloaded to my computer. Was able to copy the MHI2 folder to my SD card. It's a 64gb. When I try to copy the P87 folder 10.7GB, I get an error that it's too big for the SD card. I reformatted the card to FAT32 just to make sure there weren't any stray folders on there taking up space. It say 58.9GB of free space after the re-format. Reloaded the MHI2 file no problem. Tried the P87 folder and says too big again? Any thoughts?
This is a DIY process, you are changing firmware, you are proceeding at your own risk correct?

What year and model of 718, since your car came with Car Play it 'should' have the OEM GPS antenna. You need to have the ignition on and the car not started, so a charger connected is a must.. etc.

What is the PCM firmware now, using the following key sequence, get the information about the current version of the firmware, take screen shot. Press the CAR button on your PCM and go to Set => System => Software Update => Version Information, it should look like this.

Yes, those are the correct files, do the firmware upgrade first, don't worry about the maps until that is done and working, the AIO archive should be expanded onto the root of the SD card, not in a folder. Run that using the video as a guide, do not interrupt it, wait don't touch buttons until directed, do not deviate from the process no short cuts or changes, no discs in the player, follow the process, finally do the SVM fix and then the back up. AIO= All-In-One, it will enable a few other things like AA and VIM etc.

Then if you don't have a second SD card, you should save the 'Backup' folder to you PC before re-using the SD card for the map update, you need this backup should you need to revert to the original firmware.

Questions?

Last edited by Westcoast; 07-07-2023 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-08-2023, 08:15 AM
Z06jerry
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
..... finally do the SVM fix and then the back up. AIO= All-In-One, it will enable a few other things like AA and VIM etc.

Then if you don't have a second SD card, you should save the 'Backup' folder to you PC before re-using the SD card for the map update, you need this backup should you need to revert to the original firmware.
Questions?
Hey @Westcoast it's been a while since I activated my Nav with MIB AIO. How exactly do I fix SVM? Did a search but didn't find anything. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2023, 10:38 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z06jerry
Hey @Westcoast it's been a while since I activated my Nav with MIB AIO. How exactly do I fix SVM? Did a search but didn't find anything. Thanks!
With the SD card loaded with AIO in the left-hand slot (slot 1), Start from the "HOME" screen, press "CAR+TUNER" to go into GEM. Select M.I.B and scroll through the menu to see the option for svm_fix, follow the screen directions. You should also have done a backup_restore at time of installation.

Old 07-10-2023, 01:15 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,274 Likes on 712 Posts

Is the MIB stuff required? I did this yesterday and could not get to the GEM menu no matter how long i held down Car and Tuner buttons. However NAV is now active on the car and i'm able to search for local locations so it looks like the proper maps were downloaded. Also i'm pretty sure AA is active, unable to try it as my only Android device is my work phone and when i attempted to connected it, the phone said AA wasn't allowed from my company provisioning, but the fact that it even recognized and attempted to boot Android Auto tells me that its active on the PCM.

That all being said, unsure if it's been mentioned, but formatting the SD card and loading the files from the folder can all be done on a Mac. Windows is not required for this so if anyone is wondering if they can do it and dont have a windows PC, dont fret, macs work just fine.
Old 07-10-2023, 01:33 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
Is the MIB stuff required? I did this yesterday and could not get to the GEM menu no matter how long i held down Car and Tuner buttons. However NAV is now active on the car and i'm able to search for local locations so it looks like the proper maps were downloaded. Also i'm pretty sure AA is active, unable to try it as my only Android device is my work phone and when i attempted to connected it, the phone said AA wasn't allowed from my company provisioning, but the fact that it even recognized and attempted to boot Android Auto tells me that its active on the PCM.

That all being said, unsure if it's been mentioned, but formatting the SD card and loading the files from the folder can all be done on a Mac. Windows is not required for this so if anyone is wondering if they can do it and dont have a windows PC, dont fret, macs work just fine.
Did you leave the SD card in slot 1? If you removed it, you wouldn't be able to go to GEM. Run the backup and SVM fix.
Old 07-10-2023, 03:53 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Xxyion

So is MIB required, you used it didn't you?

As for GEM, as @718socal said, you have to have the AIO/MIB SD card in slot 1 for access to GEM, start from the home screen, "CAR+TUNER" must be pressed at the same time, if the screen changes to CAR or TUNER then you did it wrong, it won't change screens and you will see the message upper left, about GEM loading when you get it right.

As for the maps, MIB doesn't download them, you have to, but as your 718 is newer it might have some pretty recent maps on the PCM, check and post the screen shot of the version: Press the CAR button on your PCM and go to Set => System => Software Update => Version Information

This is the latest:

The following users liked this post:
718socal (07-10-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 06:07 AM
mtregan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
This is a DIY process, you are changing firmware, you are proceeding at your own risk correct?

What year and model of 718, since your car came with Car Play it 'should' have the OEM GPS antenna. You need to have the ignition on and the car not started, so a charger connected is a must.. etc.

What is the PCM firmware now, using the following key sequence, get the information about the current version of the firmware, take screen shot. Press the CAR button on your PCM and go to Set => System => Software Update => Version Information, it should look like this.

Yes, those are the correct files, do the firmware upgrade first, don't worry about the maps until that is done and working, the AIO archive should be expanded onto the root of the SD card, not in a folder. Run that using the video as a guide, do not interrupt it, wait don't touch buttons until directed, do not deviate from the process no short cuts or changes, no discs in the player, follow the process, finally do the SVM fix and then the back up. AIO= All-In-One, it will enable a few other things like AA and VIM etc.

Questions?
Didn't get a chance to try the install this weekend. This is my current software version below. The car is a 2017. Will hopefully have time one night after work this week.

Old 07-11-2023, 12:16 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Didn't get a chance to try the install this weekend. This is my current software version below. The car is a 2017. Will hopefully have time one night after work this week.
Keep us posted! And remember follow the process in the video, do not interrupt or touch anything while it is running, and remember have the car connected to a charger, not running.
mtregan (07-11-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 03:17 PM
mtregan
Rennlist Member

I have my charger waiting. Watched the 718 video last night. Seems like once you install the SD card, it pretty much self installs.
Old 07-11-2023, 06:31 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 286 Posts

I have my charger waiting. Watched the 718 video last night. Seems like once you install the SD card, it pretty much self installs.
Yes that’s about it. If you have a 2017 car, your USB port should be in the glovebox.
Old 07-11-2023, 07:27 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 835 Likes on 447 Posts

I'll give this go on my '23 tonight. Seems like a pretty easy set up now.
If it works I'll buy a cable and finish with the coding for the cluster.
The following 2 users liked this post by MrFunk:
718socal (07-11-2023), Z06jerry (07-16-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 08:01 PM
mtregan
Rennlist Member

Brought the car in for an inspection. Seem to have a coolant leak somewhere so might be a few days before I can tackle this.
718socal (07-11-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 08:09 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 835 Likes on 447 Posts

How many of you are enabling and running the connecting line for the cluster?
Also - once Nav is enabled - are you able to send the car nav locations from the app?

Last edited by MrFunk; 07-11-2023 at 08:34 PM.

Quick Reply: OEM Navigation Retrofit DIY