Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

OEM Navigation Retrofit DIY

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 04:16 PM
ronbauer
Pro

Received 524 Likes on 240 Posts

Here's what I did with mine.

Ron

Old 02-04-2024, 04:58 PM
TubaFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Answers in RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbowling
I'd like to enable navigation on a 2018 Cayman GTS that has Apple CarPlay. My understanding is that this car will therefore already have the GPS antenna. My questions are:
1. What's the difference (benefit and drawbacks) of using AIO vs PIWIS? With PIWIS, I know software is required, but I see where there is an option of someone with PIWIS performing the work remotely.
*** the PIWIS is not required to enable NAV, AIO does this... however if you want the NAV display in the cluster... read on! ***
2. Any advice on how to route the required cable from the PCM to the instrument cluster?
*** routing the cable behind the cluster to the PCM is more of an exercise in process, you find a way to get the cable though and the route in not overly important. however, coding to add the 4.5" TFT does require a PIWIS or someone willing to do this for you.***
3. With AIO, the instructions say to extract a file onto an SD card. The link for the file opens a page that shows 3 files. Do you use the one that has AIO in the filename?
*** The beginning of the thread has the process for AIO all of the steps are listed there***
4. The name of the required AIO file also contains a date to indicate its version. The one currently in the linked folder has a date of 20220723. Looking further up the folder hierarchy in the Porsche folder, I see two that say 20230318; one for POG11 and one for POG24. This brings up two questions.
*** The 20220723 is the one of the latest files and will work just fine for your application.***
4.1 What's the difference between POG11 and POG24?
***You have a POG11 in the 718, that is the file you must use, POG24 is for a different PCM***
4.2 Should this newer (20230318) file be used for the AIO process?
***this is the latest AIO file, it too can be used, I will see if I can get a list of how it differs***

Thanks so much for your help. And where did you guys learn all this stuff?

From a very wise gentleman in a land far, far away... really!
Was it ever determined what this newer version changed? I'm getting ready to start this myself and would like to know if possible. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2024, 12:47 AM
TubaFreak
Instructor

I poked around the github repos for this and didn't really find any earth-shattering differences, so I'll probably proceed with the widely approved one from July 2022 unless anyone says otherwise. I'll be curious to see if the dev updates the main branch with the new MY2024 firmware, assuming it's more than just code to keep the PCM from getting side-loaded haha.
Old 02-05-2024, 01:14 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,670 Likes on 2,717 Posts

Originally Posted by TubaFreak
Was it ever determined what this newer version changed? I'm getting ready to start this myself and would like to know if possible. Thanks!
I poked around the github repos for this and didn't really find any earth-shattering differences, so I'll probably proceed with the widely approved one from July 2022 unless anyone says otherwise. I'll be curious to see if the dev updates the main branch with the new MY2024 firmware, assuming it's more than just code to keep the PCM from getting side-loaded haha.
As you determined, not a lot has changed, yes the July 2022 version still works just fine, even a few recent vehicles have been done, and the March 2023 version is stable as well.

I don’t think that there will be any new versions released based on any 2024 PCM firmware, at least no functional changes or updates.

What version are you starting with?
The following users liked this post:
TubaFreak (02-05-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 12:10 PM
TubaFreak
Instructor

Originally Posted by Westcoast
As you determined, not a lot has changed, yes the July 2022 version still works just fine, even a few recent vehicles have been done, and the March 2023 version is stable as well.

I don’t think that there will be any new versions released based on any 2024 PCM firmware, at least no functional changes or updates.

What version are you starting with?
Awesome, thanks for the info Westcoast. I'm starting with K5186 (MU1476), hardware version 056.
Westcoast (02-05-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 12:23 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 286 Posts

Awesome, thanks for the info Westcoast. I'm starting with K5186 (MU1476), hardware version 056.
You should be good. The last few cars I helped code were MY 2023 Hardware version 057. I believe MY 2024 has Hardware version 060 and newer firmware (CD less) and is not supported at this time. DO NOT try to use AIO on MY 2024.

Last edited by 718socal; 02-05-2024 at 12:26 PM.
TubaFreak (02-05-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 12:34 PM
TubaFreak
Instructor

Originally Posted by 718socal
You should be good. The last few cars I helped code were MY 2023 Hardware version 057. I believe MY 2024 has Hardware version 060 and newer firmware (CD less) and is not supported at this time. DO NOT try to use AIO on MY 2024.
Perfect, thanks for the info 718.
718socal (02-05-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 12:53 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 718socal
Great information! Especially the warning about MY24 PCM's.
718socal (02-05-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 10:47 PM
planolemans
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

I put my GPS antenna directly under the speaker grill in the ronbauer picture. In particular, I put a little nano tape on the top of the antenna you see in the picture and stuck it to the underside of the grill. That way you will not see it. The speaker grill is plastic and will not impact the rf. So far it is working well.

Originally Posted by ronbauer
Here's what I did with mine.

Ron

Last edited by planolemans; 02-05-2024 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-07-2024, 06:24 PM
TubaFreak
Instructor

Got around to doing this today on my late MY2023 BGTS successfully and without issue. My unit came with the 21/22 maps already, but I'll probably update those tomorrow anyway for good measure. Huge thanks to those who work on this, as well as for making the process so simple!

As an aside, does anyone have the factory settings for the Burmester? The AIO update reset all the settings to 0's across the board, and I don't remember what I had them set to before. Factory would at least give me a starting point.
Old 02-07-2024, 06:34 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Got around to doing this today on my late MY2023 BGTS successfully and without issue. My unit came with the 21/22 maps already, but I'll probably update those tomorrow anyway for good measure. Huge thanks to those who work on this, as well as for making the process so simple!

As an aside, does anyone have the factory settings for the Burmester? The AIO update reset all the settings to 0's across the board, and I don't remember what I had them set to before. Factory would at least give me a starting point.
Great to hear another success story! Sorry, I have the Bose system, so I wouldn't know what the factory settings were on the Burmester.
Old 02-08-2024, 02:13 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 48 Posts

I have Burmeister in my 2022 BGTS and when I did the AIO I just re-did the radio settings. I bought mine CPO, so I don't know what, if any, factory settings there may have been other than exactly what you see now before you change settings. My guess is none, is the answer. Nothing incredibly hard about setting the audio settings from scratch. For me, it was the same as setting the stereo/audio up when I first got it, a few months prior to doing the AIO.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:30 AM
Metal-Chicken
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I finally got the chance to activate AA on my wife's [newly acquired] 2019 718 today.
It was marginally nerve wracking and I kinda do mobile app development as my business! That said messing up a mobile app is a very long way from messing up the PCM in the wife's pride and joy.... especially as she doesn't know I've done it

But ultimately all good and works great!
(having the youtube video playing in slow motion on my phone while the install was going on definitely helped although it could probably do with being updated a bit)

What I don't really understand is why people bother to update the built in nav maps when there's Google Maps and Waze available with carplay/AA ?!

Last edited by Metal-Chicken; 02-22-2024 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-22-2024, 01:32 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Metal-Chicken
Well I finally got the chance to activate AA on my wife's [newly acquired] 2019 718 today.
It was marginally nerve wracking and I kinda do mobile app development as my business! That said messing up a mobile app is a very long way from messing up the PCM in the wife's pride and joy.... especially as she doesn't know I've done it

But ultimately all good and works great!
(having the youtube video playing in slow motion on my phone while the install was going on definitely helped although it could probably do with being updated a bit)

What I don't really understand is why people bother to update the built in nav maps when there's Google Maps and Waze available with carplay/AA ?!
Easy, what if your phone is broken, what if you are out of range of cell signal or out of mobile data, or travelling in a foreign country and have no data plan, etc, etc. Besides it is free to do so!
718socal (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 01:50 PM
TubaFreak
Instructor

Or AT&T goes down across several major cities in the US? Oh wait...

I will agree that the built in nav is not great, it looks severely outdated and it doesn't like to re-route once you've started your trip, but at least it works, and like Westcoast says, it's a built-in feature that's good to have as a backup (and frankly should have been free from the factory).

As an aside, I like the hidden features that are now available through GEM, like the ability to rip discs straight to the internal storage, although I haven't tried it myself yet. The AIO method enables most features already, but are there any other little features that people would recommend using/enabling?

Last edited by TubaFreak; 02-22-2024 at 01:56 PM.

Quick Reply: OEM Navigation Retrofit DIY