Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

OEM Navigation Retrofit DIY

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2023, 08:50 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,274 Likes on 712 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
So is MIB required, you used it didn't you?

As for GEM, as @718socal said, you have to have the AIO/MIB SD card in slot 1 for access to GEM, start from the home screen, "CAR+TUNER" must be pressed at the same time, if the screen changes to CAR or TUNER then you did it wrong, it won't change screens and you will see the message upper left, about GEM loading when you get it right.

As for the maps, MIB doesn't download them, you have to, but as your 718 is newer it might have some pretty recent maps on the PCM, check and post the screen shot of the version: Press the CAR button on your PCM and go to Set => System => Software Update => Version Information

This is the latest:

Sorry i meant the SVM fix. I managed to get the GEM menu today and did the fix. I thought Android Auto wasn't working but turns out it had just crashed on my new phone (was in the middle of downloading everything so more my fault) but once i force quit Android Auto it works just fine. Looks like it doesn't have the reported image issue a lot of people in the past were complaining about. All in all whole process maybe took a total of 45 minutes not including the backup.

For those who have issues getting into the GEM menu, the best way to tell is to hit the Car + Tuner buttons at the same time and wait 2 seconds. If it doesn't show by that time it means you didn't hit the buttons at the same time quick enough. Seems like it's a pretty small window so gotta be pretty precise. Also i managed to do it without the SD Card in the slot however the second menu shown in the video won't appear so you'll have to exit and re-enter GEM to see it so might as well just not do it till you have everything.
Old 07-11-2023, 09:41 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFunk
How many of you are enabling and running the connecting line for the cluster?
Also - once Nav is enabled - are you able to send the car nav locations from the app?
I have done about a dozen cluster coding with LVDS cable. I believe that you can retrieve the destination from your favorites in the app. They have recently upgraded the My Porsche app and I don’t know if they removed that feature. You need to be connected to the car Hotspot in order to retrieve the destination
The following users liked this post:
Z06jerry (07-16-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 10:16 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 835 Likes on 447 Posts

Well I followed the video and got everything done in one go. Took 20 min.
Nav & AA now enabled and working. The NAR Map was already there.
That was way easier than I thought it would be.
Backed up and saved back-up file...
Z06jerry (07-16-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 10:24 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Well I followed the video and got everything done in one go. Took 20 min.
Nav & AA now enabled and working. The NAR Map was already there.
That was way easier than I thought it would be.
Backed up and saved back-up file...
Congrats welcome to the NAV Club. What version of the MAP did you have preloaded?
Z06jerry (07-16-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 11:21 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 718socal
Congrats welcome to the NAV Club. What version of the MAP did you have preloaded?
I'll look tomorrow when im back in the car and will report back. The car was a May 2023 build.

BTW
This screen was a bit terrifying! Haha

!

Old 07-11-2023, 11:22 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Another question.

If i do the coding for the cluster, but don't run the wire. Will I still get turn but turn in the cluster? Just no map?
Old 07-11-2023, 11:37 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Another question.

If i do the coding for the cluster, but don't run the wire. Will I still get turn but turn in the cluster? Just no map?
Correct. After you code your cluster, you will get the NAV arrows, Compass, Altimeter and Time Synch in your cluster. The MAP option will display a No Video message if you don't have the LVDS installed.
The following 3 users liked this post by 718socal:
MrFunk (07-12-2023), TubaFreak (07-12-2023), Z06jerry (07-16-2023)
Old 07-15-2023, 10:14 PM
MotoFanatic
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Just went through the process of enabling/installing nav and have to say it was easy enough thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Below is a list of interesting tidbits that I discovered on the way I have to admit, I didn’t read through all the posts so I apologize if I’m repeating what has already been posted.
  1. For some reason, I had to unzip the package directly onto the sd card. When I unzipped it on my computer and copied it over to the sd card, the PCM didn’t read it. Probably coincidence?
  2. When updating firmware and PCM is rebooting, sometimes the PCM would just shut down and not come back up until I opened the door. All the lights in the dash turned off and I was afraid I bricked the unit but everything came back to life after opening the door.
  3. To access GEM, it was easier pressing the tuner + car button instead of using the screen.
  4. When in GEM, rotate the right **** counter clockwise to move the cursor. I kept turning it clockwise and it wouldn’t budge. I thought the screen was frozen.
  5. Towards the tail end of the video, it mentions doing a backup. In the video, the user never actually did the backup. I thought he did so I ended up seeing some extra screens.
I do have a couple of questions.
  1. The instructions mention using ‘software update’ to update the maps. Will it automatically detect the maps on the sd card?
  2. How long does it take and can maps be updated while driving?
Again, thanks to everyone who contributed.

-Moto

Last edited by MotoFanatic; 07-16-2023 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-16-2023, 10:43 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,670 Likes on 2,717 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoFanatic
Just went through the process of enabling/installing nav and have to say it was easy enough thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Below is a list of interesting tidbits that I discovered on the way I have to admit, I didn’t read through all the posts so I apologize if I’m repeating what has already been posted.
  1. For some reason, I had to unzip the package directly onto the sd card. When I unzipped it on my computer and copied it over to the sd card, the PCM didn’t read it. Probably coincidence?
  2. When updating firmware and PCM is rebooting, sometimes the PCM would just shut down and not come back up until I opened the door. All the lights in the dash turned off and I was afraid I bricked the unit but everything came back to life after opening the door.
  3. To access GEM, it was easier pressing the tuner + car button instead of using the screen.
  4. When in GEM, rotate the right **** counter clockwise to move the cursor. I kept turning it clockwise and it wouldn’t budge. I thought the screen was frozen.
  5. Towards the tail end of the video, it mentions doing a backup. In the video, the user never actually did the backup. I thought he did so I ended up seeing some extra screens.
I do have a couple of questions.
  1. The instructions mention using ‘software update’ to update the maps. Will it automatically detect the maps on the sd card?
  2. How long does it take and can maps be updated while driving?
Again, thanks to everyone who contributed.

-Moto
  1. The correct process is to extract the archive directly onto the SD card.
  2. Did you have the charger connected to the car battery as directed in the instructions? Ignition to 'on' position?
  3. The correct method to access GEM is with the 'physical' CAR+TUNER buttons below the screen, again in the instructions
  4. Do you mean as in you get to the end of the menu and you have to go the other direction?
  5. You should do both a backup and run the SVM fix before you are considered finished.
For the maps use a clean FAT32 formatted SD card, unpack the maps onto the root this card, insert it into slot 1 and use the OEM PCM screens to start the update process, this is not done with GEM. The length of time for the update depends on how old the maps on the PCM are, anywhere from 20-40 minutes and yes this is the only update that can be done with the engine running.
Old 07-16-2023, 10:47 AM
MotoFanatic
Rennlist Member

I went through updating the maps process and can answer the questions I listed above::
  1. After Set => System => Software Update, it will ask you which slot. After selecting the slot, it will auto detect what to update.
  2. So at about 45% completion, it prompted me to start the car to complete the update due to battery maintenance(?). I didn’t have the charger hooked up for this update so maybe my battery was running low? It took about 15 to 20 minutes to complete. The fact I can update the maps while the car is on leads me to believe i could have updated it while driving. YMMV
Anyway, the whole process was easy enough.

-Moto
MrFunk (07-19-2023)
Old 07-16-2023, 10:58 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MotoFanatic
I went through updating the maps process and can answer the questions I listed above::
  1. After Set => System => Software Update, it will ask you which slot. After selecting the slot, it will auto detect what to update.
  2. So at about 45% completion, it prompted me to start the car to complete the update due to battery maintenance(?). I didn’t have the charger hooked up for this update so maybe my battery was running low? It took about 15 to 20 minutes to complete. The fact I can update the maps while the car is on leads me to believe i could have updated it while driving. YMMV
Anyway, the whole process was easy enough.

-Moto
I guess you didn't read all of the instructions, the AIO/MIB process should only be done with the battery charger connected, and yes, the maps too! In my reply to you I said that you could do the map update with the engine running...
Old 07-16-2023, 06:19 PM
MotoFanatic
Rennlist Member

1. The correct process is to extract the archive directly onto the SD card.
  2. Did you have the charger connected to the car battery as directed in the instructions? Ignition to 'on' position?
  3. The correct method to access GEM is with the 'physical' CAR+TUNER buttons below the screen, again in the instructions
  4. Do you mean as in you get to the end of the menu and you have to go the other direction?
  5. You should do both a backup and run the SVM fix before you are considered finished.
For the maps use a clean FAT32 formatted SD card, unpack the maps onto the root this card, insert it into slot 1 and use the OEM PCM screens to start the update process, this is not done with GEM. The length of time for the update depends on how old the maps on the PCM are, anywhere from 20-40 minutes and yes this is the only update that can be done with the engine running.
  1. Agreed, sometimes you don’t know how much leeway you have when following instructions. In this case, I thought copying would work. Boy was I wrong! Lol
  2. So I had a charger hooked up to the cigarette lighter for the firmware update (but not the map update) and ignition to ‘on’. I’m wondering if having my door closed is the reason the PCM didn’t come back up? Funny story about switching the ignition to ‘on’. Unfortunately I’m old school where ‘on’ meant turning the key one click. Such is not the case with this car as I eventually figured out it just meant inserting the key Into the ignition.
  3. My apologies, the part of the instructions I read just said ‘buttons’. When the screen only allowed one button to be selected at a time, I kind of figured it had to be the physical buttons.
  4. So for me, when I was at the top of the menu, I had to turn the **** counter clockwise to move the arrow to the item below.
  5. Yes, i ended up doing both.

I guess you didn't read all of the instructions, the AIO/MIB process should only be done with the battery charger connected, and yes, the maps too! In my reply to you I said that you could do the map update with the engine running...
Sorry, I didn’t see your reply about the engine running until after I already loaded the maps and was already typing my 2nd post.

I appreciate the responses.

Thanks!!
-Moto

Old 07-16-2023, 08:16 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

@MotoFanatic No worries, just trying to help people going forward to a good conclusion, when there are 100's of posts it easy to miss things, I am glad that it all worked out for you!
The following 2 users liked this post by Westcoast:
718socal (07-17-2023), MotoFanatic (07-16-2023)
Old 07-17-2023, 11:42 AM
Clark_Kent
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 105 Posts

I started walking through the guide and didn't get far before I noticed the MIB files listed in Post #1 are different from the MIB files on the linked site. See the below image. Which ones should I pull onto the SD card? Should I pull in all three zipped files? Thanks.

Old 07-17-2023, 02:05 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Clark_Kent
I started walking through the guide and didn't get far before I noticed the MIB files listed in Post #1 are different from the MIB files on the linked site. See the below image. Which ones should I pull onto the SD card? Should I pull in all three zipped files? Thanks.

Hmmmm, did you read the first post in this thread? AIO is the current way to do this upgrade.
Clark_Kent (07-17-2023)

Quick Reply: OEM Navigation Retrofit DIY