Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

OEM Navigation Retrofit DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 01:19 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,609 Likes on 2,693 Posts

Originally Posted by CarmineRed
Greetings everybody.

I'm the thrilled new owner of a 718 Boxster model year 2024. I'm trying to activate Android Auto, but cannot get MIB to work...

The link to mib.mibsolution.one doesn't work, so I downloaded MIB from github and unzipped that to a FAT 32 SD card. I then downloaded the patches from mibsolution.one (at the top of the page) and un-7-zipped this to the SD card, inside the "patches" folder.
I then inserted this into the SD1 card slot and switched to Developer Menu using Car+Media. When I try to update from SD1 Card, I get an error that the metainfo2.txt file is invalid... My MHI version is MHI2_ER_POG11_P5250 and the MU software is 1502. I'm wondering if that version is too recent and not yet supported? I did notice there is no patch for that specific version in the patches archive. But I also noticed there is one in the MIB Backup folder... Anyone has exprience with the metainfo2.txt issue?

Thanks for you time and help!
Congrats on the new Boxster and for dropping by here at Rennlist!

Did you read any part of the thread before jumping in?

Even the last few pages might have told you that the MIB/DIY version of the firmware upgrade was not designed for the 2024 version of PCM 4.0 Do not proceed with this method at this time!

OEM Navigation Retrofit DIY - Page 55 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

If you are an Apple user the PCM should have the CarPlay interface already active.

Last edited by Westcoast; 05-08-2024 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-08-2024, 02:18 PM
CarmineRed
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi WestCoast!

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Yes, I did read through most of the posts, starting from the beginning of the thread, but I must admit that my head ended up spinning with all the information in there , and I missed the very clear statement from 718socal you refer to. My bad, sorry about that...

Unfortunately, I'm not an Apple user, I have an Android phone and was hoping to get Android Auto up and running, but it sounds like MIB will never be working for MY 2024. Ah well, too bad.

Thanks again for your help, and you have a good one!
Old 05-08-2024, 02:30 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hi WestCoast!

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Yes, I did read through most of the posts, starting from the beginning of the thread, but I must admit that my head ended up spinning with all the information in there , and I missed the very clear statement from 718socal you refer to. My bad, sorry about that...

Unfortunately, I'm not an Apple user, I have an Android phone and was hoping to get Android Auto up and running, but it sounds like MIB will never be working for MY 2024. Ah well, too bad.

Thanks again for your help, and you have a good one!
No worries, I just don't want you to muck up your PCM! I too am an Android user, so read on!

OK, you still have two options, you can use something like this for wireless Android Auto based on CarPlay being active on the PCM:
CarlinKit 4.0 Wireless CarPlay 2023 Apple for Wired CarPlay Cars. Wired CarPlay to Wireless Carplay Wireless Android Auto Plug and Play Auto Connection Online Upgrade : Amazon.ca: Electronics CarlinKit 4.0 Wireless CarPlay 2023 Apple for Wired CarPlay Cars. Wired CarPlay to Wireless Carplay Wireless Android Auto Plug and Play Auto Connection Online Upgrade : Amazon.ca: Electronics

Even though I have Android Auto and CarPlay enabled (wired of course), I use the above adapter for wireless connections on short trips. It will work on your 2024 PCM 4.0

The second option is to contact simaservis1108 via PM and see if he can enable these options, if he can it is a payable service, see this link: Porsche PCM4 - Carplay , Android Auto , Maps update , Video in motion , Voice control - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
Old 05-08-2024, 09:28 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
No worries, I just don't want you to muck up your PCM! I too am an Android user, so read on!

OK, you still have two options, you can use something like this for wireless Android Auto based on CarPlay being active on the PCM: CarlinKit 4.0 Wireless CarPlay 2023 Apple for Wired CarPlay Cars. Wired CarPlay to Wireless Carplay Wireless Android Auto Plug and Play Auto Connection Online Upgrade : Amazon.ca: Electronics

Even though I have Android Auto and CarPlay enabled (wired of course), I use the above adapter for wireless connections on short trips. It will work on your 2024 PCM 4.0

The second option is to contact simaservis1108 via PM and see if he can enable these options, if he can it is a payable service, see this link: Porsche PCM4 - Carplay , Android Auto , Maps update , Video in motion , Voice control - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
@Westcoast I wonder what the difference is between the Carlinkit 4 and 5. I think one requires a Wired CarPlay connection for Android Auto and the other a Wired Android connection. Both gets you Wireless AA
Old 05-08-2024, 09:44 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 718socal
@Westcoast I wonder what the difference is between the Carlinkit 4 and 5. I think one requires a Wired CarPlay connection for Android Auto and the other a Wired Android connection. Both gets you Wireless AA
You are essentially correct!

The Carlinkit 4 works with wired CarPlay to give wireless CarPlay and Android Auto...Carlinkit 5 works with BOTH wired CarPlay and wired Android Auto to give you wireless connections to the respective phone.

When I bought my Carlinkit 4 unit, the more recent Carlinkit 5 was not yet out, the 4 is still just a bit cheaper, but we are only talking about $10 at the moment. One would think that the newer 5 is better but I don't have one to be able to comment on it.
The following users liked this post:
718socal (05-08-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 05:11 AM
CarmineRed
4th Gear

Thank you very much for the advice, WestCoast!

Carlink looks like a simple solution, but do you confirm that it will enable me to use Android Auto on my Boxster, even though I do not have wired Android Auto? (I do have wired Apple CarPlay)? From reading the product description, it seems that the wired version of Android Auto is required in order to be able to use wireless AA - but maybe I misunderstood.

Also, do you know what happens when you actually plug your Android phone (I usually do this to keep it charged on a long trip)? Does that break the wireless AA link?

I'll also PM simaservis1108 as per your recommendation, to see what he says.

Thanks again, and you have a good one!
Old 05-09-2024, 12:11 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 271 Posts

Carlink looks like a simple solution, but do you confirm that it will enable me to use Android Auto on my Boxster, even though I do not have wired Android Auto? (I do have wired Apple CarPlay)? From reading the product description, it seems that the wired version of Android Auto is required in order to be able to use wireless AA - but maybe I misunderstood.

Also, do you know what happens when you actually plug your Android phone (I usually do this to keep it charged on a long trip)? Does that break the wireless AA link?

Essentially what @Westcoast said is correct.
That would be the easiest way. You can ping @Carlinklife in here and ask those questions since they are a sponsor.
Old 05-09-2024, 01:42 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 718socal
Essentially what @Westcoast said is correct.
That would be the easiest way. You can ping @Carlinklife in here and ask those questions since they are a sponsor.
This is excellent advice, reach out and verify all of this with the vendor.

You said that you have wired CarPlay, so Carlinkit 4 will plug in via USB to the PCM and look to the system that you have an Apple phone plugged in, but in the background the adapter wirelessly connects your Android phone (Android 11 or higher), to have AA working on the PCM. As I mentioned, I have this set up working in my 718 Spyder, my Pixel 7 wirelessly connects to the Carlinkit 4 and it provides the connection and conversion to have AA up and running on the PCM. As for charging it with a USB during this operation, as your PCM is not enabled for AA it should not affect the wireless Carlinkit connection. I cannot verify this last part for you because I have both AA and CP enabled on my PCM.

Carlinkit 5 does not do the cross conversion from wired CP to wireless AA, basically they released a 2-channel unit, keeping AA and CP separate, only Carlinkit 4 will do this crossover, which is why I made that suggestion earlier.

718socal (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 04:45 PM
CarmineRed
4th Gear

Thanks guys for your extremely valuable feedback.

Carlinkit 5 does not do the cross conversion from wired CP to wireless AA, basically they released a 2-channel unit, keeping AA and CP separate, only Carlinkit 4 will do this crossover, which is why I made that suggestion earlier.
This is it, I read the Carlink 5 description where they explain that the link is only Apple to CP or Android to AA, but no crossover. Now I checked the Carlink 4 description and I see that it is indeed able to cross over from Android to CP. I'll order myself one and see how it goes :-)

Thanks again!
The following 2 users liked this post by CarmineRed:
718socal (05-09-2024), Westcoast (05-09-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 05:40 PM
josbmw
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Same issue over here.
Ordered my GTS in december 2023 without navigation because I knew I could unlock it with MIB2.
Car already has a GPS reciever, just need to unlock the navigation.
That’s a bummer Porsche changed the headunits to another version.
Any progress on this? I’m willing to test.

Can’t I enable navigation with a Piwis 3 with engineering mode?

Last edited by josbmw; 05-10-2024 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-10-2024, 05:45 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by josbmw
Same issue over here.
Ordered my GTS in december 2023 without navigation because I knew I could unlock it with MIB.
Car already has a GPS reciever, just need to unlock the navigation.
That’s a bummer Porsche changed the headunits.
Any progress on this? I’m willing to test.

Can’t I enable navigation with a Piwis 3 with engineering mode?
Is your a 2024 model, does the PCM have a CD/DVD drive?

If MY24 and no CD/DVD drive then MIB is not available for this version (yet).

And no, you cannot enable Navigation on the PCM using the PIWIS.

Your options for AA/CP and OEM NAV are outlined in post # 903 above.

OEM Navigation Retrofit DIY - Page 61 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Last edited by Westcoast; 05-10-2024 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-10-2024, 06:21 PM
josbmw
Track Day

No CD/DVD, so other unit.

Not interested in AA. I run a custom Android firmware without AA. Car has Carplay, so it already has a GPS antenna and the voice command button.

I put my Android phone in the left cupholder and use Waze.
The headunit navi is for quickly zooming out to have an overview of the region.
That’s how I run it in my 3.4 GTS with factory nav, perfect combination. I also work this way in my other cars, all with factory nav.

If there is no MIB2 solution, it will be a 1573 EUR tequipment upgraid I’m afraid….
And if I knew beforehand this would be a problem, I would just have ticked the nav box in the configurator.

The tequipment update doesn’t offer real time traffic info either like the factory navigation does (included 2 years for free).

Last edited by josbmw; 05-10-2024 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-10-2024, 06:59 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by josbmw
No CD/DVD, so other unit.

Not interested in AA. I run a custom Android firmware without AA. Car has Carplay, so it already has a GPS antenna and the voice command button.

I put my Android phone in the left cupholder and use Waze.
The headunit navi is for quickly zooming out to have an overview of the region.
That’s how I run it in my 3.4 GTS with factory nav, perfect combination. I also work this way in my other cars, all with factory nav.

If there is no MIB2 solution, it will be a 1573 EUR tequipment upgraid I’m afraid….
And if I knew beforehand this would be a problem, I would just have ticked the nav box in the configurator.

The tequipment update doesn’t offer real time traffic info either like the factory navigation does (included 2 years for free).
FWIW, I always tell people to get factory OEM NAV, it is a lot more than just a map...

So, did you read the entire post I referenced? Option 2 should apply in your situation, both MIB and Sima can enable OEM NAV.

Last edited by Westcoast; 05-10-2024 at 07:00 PM.
pgap718 (06-21-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 07:15 PM
josbmw
Track Day

FWIW, I always tell people to get factory OEM NAV, it is a lot more than just a map...

So, did you read the entire post I referenced? Option 2 should apply in your situation, both MIB and Sima can enable OEM NAV.
Yes, but MIB is not an option currently since the new unit is not supported. MIB would be the ideal and cheapest solution.

Had contact with Sima by e-mail before ordering the car. Only got confirmation he can do it, but he didn’t give me any pricing.

Last edited by josbmw; 05-11-2024 at 05:09 AM.
Old 05-14-2024, 05:06 PM
Chelsea09
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I have a 2024 Boxster running MHI2_POG11_P5186 1476, HW version 56. My PCM has a CD/DVD. It appears to me that I can run the AIO from an SD card, activate NAV and then add maps. My PCM did not come with factory NAV or maps. Should I use the AIO and should I use K5186_1 or K5186? Thanks.

Quick Reply: OEM Navigation Retrofit DIY