Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 03:58 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Paul. Im known for typos and grammatical errors so take this tongue in cheek but when reading your posts my eye is always involuntarily drawn to the description of your car where you have a modification known as a "short Sift". Now I understand you are a pupil of "Yoda" and it is I guess its correct that you are not the tallest on the team (prize goes to Wookie John), so of course this may be quite an accurate enhancement to your car - thus you may need to change the word to its correct spelling in Star Wars nomenclature "Sith" or alternatively if its just the golden rod kit then "shift"
Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2014, 04:00 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I've been thinking about it. Helga comes home on Tuesday and will have her sills done next weekend. After that I just need her alignment done and she's ready to start some road trips. However, Tonga kills two weekends in July and we have the Sprints on 3/8 so this may be the first chance. Not sure I want to push her on a Ron run though, especially with Donna in the car.
Let me know if you are keen, just quietly working on a baby sitter for the weekend..........
Old 06-28-2014, 04:01 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Let me know if you are keen, just quietly working on a baby sitter for the weekend.......... .
Sounds like the perfect chance to use the 993 as the family mobile
Old 06-28-2014, 04:01 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Yes, deal is done with the Honda. We paid $800 today and will call in tomorrow with the remaining $1,000. Car should be in Dave's yard by tomorrow lunch time.

Based on the confirmations we have a pot of $2,600. Car is $1,800. Dave has already set out some basic maintenance. That may eat up to $400 with pads, disc skim, fluids (brake, oil and coolant). Next big bill will be tyres, but that can wait as the existing ones have plenty of tread.

Famous last words, but the car seemed solid, so I'm not sure how much we'll need to manage usage.

David is likely going to drive it down to HD on 19/7, if no-one wants to take it out before that. It can go to Chris M's place after that, or if stuck, then we can leave it outside the seller's garage (next to Steve's one at HD).

Like the Sprints, I think good organisation works itself out. If the car's sitting there with no one else interested, take it out. If you've already set a time, let someone else go first. If you've used it on the day, chuck something in for petrol to fill it up. The important thing is to have fun.
Brilliant stuff on the Integra guys. Been away a day or so and feel like I went to bed with Ms Average and then woke up next to her hotter sister.

Yep, running Nittos. They last ages and get stickier as they get closer to the cords but will try to find that link I posted to the 996 Turbo (2WD converted) back to back instrumented test of them versus 221s I posted a week or two ago. Think it suggested the Hampton difference would be closer to 1.2 sec - mostly due to their softer sidewalls slowing the Nittos.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:04 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Paul. Im kind of typos and grammatical errors so take this tongue in cheek but when reading your posts my eye is always involuntarily drawn to the description of your car where you have a modification known as a "short Sift". Now I understand you are a pupil of "Yoda" and it is I guess its correct that you are not the tallest on the team (prize goes to Wookie John), so of course this may be quite an accurate enhancement to your car - thus you may need to change the word to its correct spelling in Star Wars nomenclature "Sith" or alternatively if its just the golden rod kit then "shift"
already gone to the dark side.............

Last edited by kiwi 911; 07-02-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:15 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Page 987
Attached Images       
Old 06-28-2014, 04:17 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Paul. Im kind of typos and grammatical errors so take this tongue in cheek but when reading your posts my eye is always involuntarily drawn to the description of your car where you have a modification known as a "short Sift".
Paul - change it please. Its going to bug the hell out of me now that Macca's pointed it out... And while we're at it, that annoying 'hanging full stop' just before your signature - always has me trying to wipe an imaginary piece of dirt off my screen. Obsessive much.... Nah!!!

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Brilliant stuff on the Integra guys. Been away a day or so and feel like I went to bed with Ms Average and then woke up next to her hotter sister.
Geez Walter you set the bar pretty low for hot sisters....

Did someone say 987?
Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2014, 04:20 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz

Yep, running Nittos. They last ages and get stickier as they get closer to the cords but will try to find that link I posted to the 996 Turbo (2WD converted) back to back instrumented test of them versus 221s I posted a week or two ago. Think it suggested the Hampton difference would be closer to 1.2 sec - mostly due to their softer sidewalls slowing the Nittos.
Walt. May be more of an issue with the heavier 996TT chassis. The 993 is basically 200kg lighter so Id imagine maybe less sidewall flex?

I spent a good few hours reading up on these on the 993 board where a number of guys run the Hankook 214s at the track but has issues with Hankook supply last year (sound familiar?) so reverted to NT01 and found their lap times were max 2s off over a course about the length of Taupo.

Funny thing is in the USA now supply issues with larger size NITTO NT01 so looks like its good to have two potential options in the arsenal.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:21 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

IMHO - I think the 221's go off very quick.

Fab on the first day, then noticeably slower on day 2 and onwards.

I experienced this on the SITT where buy the 3rd and 4th track day, the handling was noticeably different. I had to replace the rears after the SITT and on the Play Day before the Sprints Day, they did feel a lot better and the car was quicker. Come the afternoon runs at the Sprints there felt like they were really going off.

Will be interesting to see what my times are like at the next Play Day as they will probably be half worn??

I still personally think the Bridgestones were the best tyre I have experienced. Everyone raves about 214's, but they were no quicker than the Bridgestones with the C3.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:22 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Harden up. Ron's quick but safe. Youll be fine in the turbo and the missus has already been exposed to Pauls driving so no issue there. If she has a problem with it Paul needs a babysitter ;-)
Old 06-28-2014, 04:25 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
And while we're at it, that annoying 'hanging full stop' just before your signature - always has me trying to wipe an imaginary piece of dirt off my screen. Obsessive much.... Nah!!!
It's because I hate there being no gap between the sentence and a signature. Too cluttered.

But thank you for bitch lapping me around. Is there anything else you would like. Maybe you don't like my avatar pic?
Old 06-28-2014, 04:26 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

987 heaven!!
Attached Images    
Old 06-28-2014, 04:27 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

IMHO - I think the 221's go off very quick.

Fab on the first day, then noticeably slower on day 2 and onwards.

I experienced this on the SITT where buy the 3rd and 4th track day, the handling was noticeably different. I had to replace the rears after the SITT and on the Play Day before the Sprints Day, they did feel a lot better and the car was quicker. Come the afternoon runs at the Sprints there felt like they where really going off.

Will be interesting to see what my times are like at the next Play Day as they will probably be half worn??

I still personally think the Bridgestones were the best tyre I have experienced. Everyone raves about 214's, but they were no quicker than the Bridgestones with the C3.
Ive only had Z221 on my 993 at the track and never driven the same track twice to compare but I found the opposite - they seem to go and go all the way to the skins.

I think much may have to do with camber and toe as mentioned to you on the phone this week. Your settings could do with a big bump to give you better heat management across the tyre surface and this may reduced the heat cycling issue you are seeing.

You ran a PB time at the sprints which was second day out for these so not sure the theory holds.

We are doing very short sessions compared to the guys in Europe, UK & USA Im often talking with. They run 20 and 30 minute sessions often on much longer courses than us....
Old 06-28-2014, 04:28 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Maybe you don't like my avatar pic?
No, your avatar is cool
Old 06-28-2014, 04:32 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
And while we're at it, that annoying 'hanging full stop' just before your signature - always has me trying to wipe an imaginary piece of dirt off my screen. Obsessive much.... Nah!!!
Hot damn thats true. Even worse with a windows 8 touch screen. Ben bothering my Virgo *** for months. Thanks Peter!

Hey Paul. Please don't take any of this personally. We still love you even if you wear a black cape with a hood after the kids have gone to bed...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?