Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 09:37 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Overall, we've yet to see a real world difference for C2 versus C4, which is one thing that interests me. The other is benchmarking my skill increase. Doug is the current benchmark, but I'm also gunning for sub 1.19.57 which is the historic C4 road car benchmark.
This point intrigues me most of all about the C2 v C4 debate. The C4 in the hands of Pete and Steve to the best of my knowledge currently sets the best HD time. Its also the reason I believe you need to benchmark Lola and Herman with the same unbiased driver and then get an honest appraisal afterwards of where each car has its strengths and weaknesses. Its simply could be a function of driver style/skill/experience or actually maybe in real world practical terms there's bugger all in in anyway....

Graeme. Good idea re balancer. I couldnt find any viable solution in this direction so went with the "tried and tested" brake upgrade solution for the hardcore 993 track junkies on the forums - which was a mix of calipers with potential for pads to adjust bias in the future should I need to trim the bias. Ive had enough of developing without benchmarks or learning via "trailblazing" with the 993. Its been nice having some real world company in the form of Paul and his 993. Up to that point I was having to guess alot of the handling stuff (never had the benefit of test sessions).
Old 06-16-2014, 09:50 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

The C4 dynamic most eluding me so far is turn 4. To get a tight turn in I need to slam on the anchors until I'm in full ABS then try to rotate the car. The ABS disables the diff locks so it's the only way I can rotate like that. So far I've had some variable results, as shown in Doug's video. Otherwise I think it handles very well. I don't under steer on any other corners.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:43 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

That's interesting John. I wondered why you took quite a different (wider?) line in that turn. It seems characteristic of a AWD car in that following Chris B (momentarily!) on SITT I noted he also took a number of corners in a similar fashion...
Old 06-16-2014, 10:47 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
This point intrigues me most of all about the C2 v C4 debate. The C4 in the hands of Pete and Steve to the best of my knowledge currently sets the best HD time. Its also the reason I believe you need to benchmark Lola and Herman with the same unbiased driver and then get an honest appraisal afterwards of where each car has its strengths and weaknesses. Its simply could be a function of driver style/skill/experience or actually maybe in real world practical terms there's bugger all in in anyway....
The C4 dynamic most eluding me so far is turn 4. To get a tight turn in I need to slam on the anchors until I'm in full ABS then try to rotate the car. The ABS disables the diff locks so it's the only way I can rotate like that. So far I've had some variable results, as shown in Doug's video. Otherwise I think it handles very well. I don't under steer on any other corners.
My understanding is that AWD costs some acceleration on (the longer and faster especially) straights as you have higher transmission losses, so lower HP makes it to the wheels, just when you want it most to fight air resistance. That is compensated for though by having four wheels share traction duties accelerating out of corners, meaning that more HP can be applied earlier there than in a 2WD. With similarly skilled drivers, you'd expect the AWD drive to exit quicker onto the straight but then eventually fall behind the 2WD as the straight goes on. In the twisties it's probably pretty even though 2WDs are a bit more flickable - ie more easily rotated. That said, a botched rotation is easier to recover with AWD as the fronts tend to pull the car into line again with some throttle. Interesting to hear that exit power-on understeer doesn't seem to be a factor on the 964 C4s. You learn to drive around it on the 996T but it's pretty marked, especially on road tyres.

Some guys go 2WD in their track 996Ts but any few tenths they may win in the dry are normally lost many times over in the wet. Standing Km, standing mile, 60-130mph, 0-300kph etc the 2WD makes a bigger difference.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:48 PM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's interesting John. I wondered why you took quite a different (wider?) line in that turn. It seems characteristic of a AWD car in that following Chris B (momentarily!) on SITT I noted he also took a number of corners in a similar fashion...
The AWD in the 996T behaves very differently from that in the 964C4, much more like a RWD system... so there's probably some other reason.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:55 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Wasn't trying to go wide. Just that I had a red limpet on my butt and no time for second chances so if it didn't rotate properly I'd just power out of it and go wide.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:00 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Walter, my car has been altered to make it more neutral but will still under steer powering out of a sharp corner.

All this is bringing back memories of the red lady in my rear view mirror. The sooner she retires the better. Just make sure it's after I sell the 996TT otherwise I may pin the welds and take that back out.

Btw Walter, I almost failed my WOF today. All four drop links need replacing. Luckily they are cheap to replace.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:04 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mjg
The AWD in the 996T behaves very differently from that in the 964C4, much more like a RWD system... so there's probably some other reason.
Up to 40% of the torque goes forward under power with rear wheel spin (matching the difference in tyre widths and - static - weight loadings) so the 996T and C4 AWD shouldn't be that different on exit, power to weight and PSM gubbins aside. On entry, yes, no problems rotating the 996T since only 5 % torque to front and no or mild throttle means bugger all torque anyway. As you touch on, it's essentially a 2WD until you're better off for it not to be.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:07 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Walter, my car has been altered to make it more neutral but will still under steer powering out of a sharp corner.

All this is bringing back memories of the red lady in my rear view mirror. The sooner she retires the better. Just make sure it's after I sell the 996TT otherwise I may pin the welds and take that back out.

Btw Walter, I almost failed my WOF today. All four drop links need replacing. Luckily they are cheap to replace.
On the 996T? Wonder how mine are faring... I hope that the droplinks are considered as part of the swaybar for LVV purposes and can be swapped out for beefier ones while the 'original swaybar' mounting points remain unchanged?

Anyone know?
Old 06-16-2014, 11:09 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
On the 996T? Wonder how mine are faring... I hope that the droplinks are considered as part of the swaybar for LVV purposes and can be swapped out for beefier ones while the 'original swaybar' mounting points remain unchanged? Anyone know?
Yes, the 996TT.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:17 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Another RSG morning at CCS. Macca's father dropping off more parts. Jake in for some lowering springs. Walter and Ron's car in for water fittings. I was just getting a WOF for the 996TT. Otherwise, ex Jon Sivvy car in for minor work. The same colour Blue Turbo 3.6 in for a new clutch. Parking lot is relatively sane there right now.
Add to that: CV Boot to be replaced, Transmission Sump Gasket to be replaced, Tyres to be replaced. Like going to the dentist for a check up and walking away with 4 root canals.

Last edited by nzskater; 06-17-2014 at 06:19 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:28 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nzskater
Add to that: CV Boot to be replaced, Transmission Sump Gaskit to be replaced, Tyres to be replaced. Like going to the dentist for a check up and walking away with 4 root canals.
Remind me never to take mine to your WOF place! Kind of makes sense if it is streaming out but in all the old dungers I've had at times (thinking of Lada Nivas, Hillman Hunters, Mitsi Pajeros etc) I've never been pinged on boots or gaskets. Tyres are legal to 1.6mm 2/3 width but I've noticed AA testing keen to try and fail them if under 3. Safer of course.

Postnote: I see it may be more PM than WOF if at CCS.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:33 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Wasn't trying to go wide. Just that I had a red limpet on my butt and no time for second chances so if it didn't rotate properly I'd just power out of it and go wide.
Gotcha. Makes sense now....
Old 06-16-2014, 11:46 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Doug is equally focused on Herman. In a later session, Patsy was pole and Herman was #2. Patsy pulled out with a tyre pressure alert so I kept my place and expected to run alone until Lola suddenly appeared in pole to 'keep me company'! It turned out to be a great session with nothing remotely close to rubbing panels, but very competitive. I think the day told us something we both need to work on which is driving under pressure. Both of us overcooked braking points under our own pressure. Overall, we've yet to see a real world difference for C2 versus C4, which is one thing that interests me. The other is benchmarking my skill increase. Doug is the current benchmark, but I'm also gunning for sub 1.19.57 which is the historic C4 road car benchmark. At that point Steve will probably pay me to get out and set a new benchmark with Herman
I'd love to know who won the sprint to Turn 1 if you guys lined up more than once.

Originally Posted by Maxem
When Lola retires there will be a 1:17 capable orange hot rod out there to chase you down into the teens - that is when I learn to drive it properly so you have plenty of time actually.
Don't tell them that ... We're just going to be the slow ones pulling up the rear!
Old 06-17-2014, 12:00 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CS Mende
I'd love to know who won the sprint to Turn 1 if you guys lined up more than once.
I think turn two is the more telling point as it's hard to go around the outside and overtake on turn 1 from a standing start in similarly powered cars.

Which is why you develop a different formation lap routine from what we traditionally do. One tip I managed to glean out of Simon on Saturday

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?