Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 06:15 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Walt. My experience on the 5 day Targa Tour indicates the 991 GT3 would be a bit frustrating. The 993 was in the (back end of) front group in 2012 and is a much quicker car now than then. The 991 GT3 would be nagging Greg & co in the lead car and I cant see the fun in that personally. On the track its a whole different matter but for the Targa Tour the GT3 would be overkill IMO.

Love the bike. Had a Duke 996 until a couple of years ago. Never got a chance to ride it and never on the track. Dean at CCS rode it for a few years for me. He liked it.

Yes. I do use the air con on Targa but never the track. Thing is it cant keep up the pace with two adrenaline filled folk in a small space. Its a bit old tech. Being upgraded this week to a more modern/efficient solution.

Doug. Great to hear we have another convert! yes 100m is a good rule and will save your paint and window screen. being a passenger must be scary aye! Say hi to Ron. He chose the 991S as the Turbo is starting to get a bit older (its had a hard life) and I think he felt its reliability was starting to wane recently...

Sleep well and get into it again tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Yes, would've held onto my 79 928 but needed to keep the peace. Would be the real rally deal probably, with onboard mechanic needed.
I just love the '79 928. Such purity of shape. No door rubbing strips or bulky spoilers. Pretty hard to find one these days. My Projekt 928 book is still one of my all time fav P-car books. Ive never owned a 928 but Ive lusted after them....
Old 05-16-2014, 06:42 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Ron is in his manual yellow 991 2S. I often had to button off at the 155km beep warning and "cruise" for a bit until the next corner. The last stage over the Coromandel hill was fricking awesome. PSM off, full noise, with very aggressive corners in both sharpness and upward or downward angle. I got at least 4-5 "shiiiiit!" expletives out of Paul, poor bugger. It's a bit different behind the wheel and being in control. I think he was thinking "Douggie I really hope you've got this one" a few times. Nice getting the **** hanging out a little. On some of the really aggressive corners I was fair grating the front lip on the ground with the load and angles of attack. Hung back about 100+ metres from the car in front most of the day to avoid stone damage. Started the day just in front of the middle pace car and moved up the field slowly until finding our rightful place at about position 8 or so. Dan was waiting over here in Whitianga with his van and a new o2 sensor for Chris' car and is staying the night. Tomorrow morning's forecast is 3 degrees! We meet up at the start at 6:15am so all tucked up in bed already after a long exciting tiring fabulous day. Hooked, addicted and thinking of the SI targa tour later in the year.
I thought you would enjoy the run between Coromandel and Whangapoua. You have a flat version of that to come on the way to Waihi.

While I fitted both struts to Helga (not easy single handed - that assembly is heavy) I forgot to buy anti seize grease so haven't put her wheels on yet. She's not going anywhere far tomorrow. Keep the pics and doco up.
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2014, 07:06 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Struts look good. Calipers need a repaint.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:17 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John. Struts look good. Calipers need a repaint.
Yep. Getting the sills redone as well. Then need to do the rear shocks. Decided to tackle that myself as well. All of the bushes etc look good. When it's finished it should ride nicely again as new tyres, struts and control arm bushes don't leave many 21 year old parts in there. Just in time to do some weekend road trips.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:20 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Perfect plan!
Old 05-16-2014, 07:21 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Doug, loving the updates and sounds like you're having a blast. Can't wait to hear Paul's side of the story!
Old 05-16-2014, 07:26 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 928s and bikes

I just love the '79 928. Such purity of shape. No door rubbing strips or bulky spoilers. Pretty hard to find one these days. My Projekt 928 book is still one of my all time fav P-car books. Ive never owned a 928 but Ive lusted after them....
Me too, the early and the late 928 (with body coloured spoiler like the GTS) do it for me as I'm not a bib fan. One of my all time favourite drives with it was the over the Coro (309 I think or maybe Kopu-Coroglen if that's not the same one). Had to consider not just the curves but also the clearance on the metal. It hit the western end covered in dust and with the speedo broken but was so worth it. Don't miss the CIS fuel injection, though she sure sounded awesome.

Had a Duke 996 until a couple of years ago. Never got a chance to ride it and never on the track. Dean at CCS rode it for a few years for me. He liked it.
I too have a soft spot for them (hard not to with my handle) but for now it's just limited to a model 996 I have at work, with Carl Fogarty aboard. The Hayabusa holds a particular attraction as well, looks notwithstanding.

I am a pretty strange motorcyclist really - less than 100kms on road bikes but all at Hampton Downs, and split across about $200,000 worth of the things.
The first time I got on I asked whether the front and back brake were on the two handlebar levers and they said "you really haven't ridden a road bike before have you".

Best moment was accidentally popping a powerstand on the Street Triple 1050 pictured earlier, coming out of the T9 hairpin. I thought 'hey I'm not good enough to be doing this yet' so rolled gently of the throttle and blipped it as it landed for a smooth touchdown about a quarter to a third of the way down the straight...and backed off the throttle slightly next time. The worst were two at low speed in that same corner - one almost a stoppie at the turn-in point, the other a detour around over the gravel and back.

Lucky with the mix of bikes though - from the first, an SV650s (race prepped), through a GSR750, a Harley Sportster 1200XL, a couple of CanAm Spiders (not strictly bikes but hard case and will do a 1:40 with their PSM intruding all the time), a Bonneville T100, the Speed Triple 1050, a Daytona 675 (so responsive - its twitchy but awesome), a Fat Boy, a V-Rod (Night Rod Special) and maybe one or two others. Still hoping to try a motard some time.

In an effort to keep body and soul connected, I've bought my own gear and keep it to about 180 max before turn 1.

I prefer the sports bikes and street fighters, but here's the Night Rod, which is quite a looker at least - and features a Porsche designed engine:
Name:  NightRod-HD.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  103.1 KB

OK, back to the real Porsches...

Last edited by 996tnz; 05-16-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:31 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Macca, talk to Ron and Chris at the end of this Targa before you decide. Seems a shame not to use the GT3. You'll probably have Richard in his too.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:47 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Doug, loving the updates and sounds like you're having a blast. Can't wait to hear Paul's side of the story!
Dougie is doing all the talking for me. He is having a great time.

Me on the other hand - I was almost replaced as co-driver for some hot blond bird who's a professional co-driver, and have had two belts of car queezyness. Going up and down the hill leading into Whitianga was scary - Dougie is getting a handle on hanging the **** of his car out and we were both suffering from motion sickness a bit on than run...........

Otherwise all good.

Walter - liking the photos of your bike above mate.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:05 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Dougie is doing all the talking for me. He is having a great time. Me on the other hand - I was almost replaced as co-driver for some hot blond bird who's a professional co-driver, and have had two belts of car queezyness. Going up and down the hill leading into Whitianga was scary - Dougie is getting a handle on hanging the **** of his car out and we were both suffering from motion sickness a bit on than run........... Otherwise all good. Walter - liking the photos of your bike above mate. .
Make sure Doug gets his morning coffee. It could turn ugly otherwise

Keep the pics and documentary coming.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:43 PM
O2GO
Drifting

The first stage this morni g was short with a twisty hill climb and decent made for mid-engined fun. Cold clear day. Now a 40k drive to the next stage.
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2014, 04:46 PM
O2GO
Drifting

"I could own one of these"
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2014, 06:00 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

A lot more reasonable to own than this at $380,000 http://www.jzmporsche.com/porsche-fo...8-for-sale-541
Old 05-16-2014, 06:02 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yes that's a famous Paul saying. But when you have driven as many "other peoples cars" as Paul has I suspect its his typical road reviewers response to a car he quite likes. Actually he missed his calling in life - he should have been a reviewer for EVO magazine. Pay would have been crap but who needs money when your job is driving group test performance cars on European roads all year!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?