Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 03:26 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
What I can tell you is a) duct tape was involved and b) Paul's spend to speed ratio is pretty impressive (compared to a certain midnight blue variant...)
Prototyping versus production maybe? Macca's done more than a few hard development yards. Paul's driving flatters his cars too I'd say.

Pete, if the Z214s are faster than soft Z221s I vote we keep ChrisB's 996T off them until I narrow the gap some. Some RSG days might be in order when mine's track fit again...

Page 933 - shout out to the 933: http://bringatrailer.com/2013/02/16/...factory-racer/
Old 06-16-2014, 03:56 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What I can tell you is a) duct tape was involved and b) Paul's spend to speed ratio is pretty impressive (compared to a certain midnight blue variant...)
Fair call. But in my defence the 993 has been a development project over many years and long before RSG or my first taste of the track early last year. Its a very personal and individual thing and speed has not been the prime focus of the cars evolution. To be honest it still isn't. I've built that car to be the very best car for me. for however I choose to use it. Money for performance return has never been the goal for that car - I've spent more on the interior than the suspension and probably as much on the car overall as the new GT3. No one can point at my 993 and say its trying to be something it isn't, its a very individual statement that has to fit into my unique lifestyle. Its a tourer (my wife sat in it for 5000 km a few months ago during SITT), a track car (its becoming quicker), a fast road car (its best "suit" - more Targa Tour please..) and a passion and hobby for 14 years. It will of course likely never be sold....

Lets face it we wanted to go faster than the others, for cheaper, we would buy something like a 996/7 GT3. 1.15's...no problem!

I'm the first to admit Im a novice and can still improve a lot from tuition and experience. Being compared to guys like Paul in any capacity is a compliment as I rate him as a driver.

P.S. Paul will have 100K in his 993 soon enough given the rate of development ;-)

Last edited by Macca; 06-16-2014 at 04:13 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:58 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
I'd like to get some 214s in 18 to try out but not sure they have 18s in NZ. I didn't like the feel of them in 17s versus the 221s in 18. Too much movement in the sidewall and felt like I lost a lot of feel. They might be .5 sec faster, max, I'll dig out the testing times Steve and I did.

Never had any problems with ME20 fade or shudder over sprint distances. Haven't used that compound for anything beyond 10 laps or 15km stages though.

EDIT- the times are no good for real comparison. We had soft 221s and medium 214s. 214s were .2 sec faster on Steve's time. I went faster on the 221 than the 214. I suspect gap would be more on like for like compound.
Thanks for the data points Sean. Im sure I heard 1.0s a lap somewhere. Paul, maybe it was the Bridgestone guys?
Old 06-16-2014, 03:58 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Sam sent me some more images. Looking at each one I can say that I had the car unbalanced over the turn and should have given it opposite lock and planted boot. turn 3 is not the place to lean it over
Attached Images  
Old 06-16-2014, 04:17 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris B - you are vindicated! http://www.mylaps.com/en/classification/3120567

For some reason the overall results have not picked up the last sprint rounds even though they were published individually. Lucky we don't take it too seriously eh?
Nice. Not too serious, we are all a bit competitive though, set a target and try and beat it. My target in the last run was simple, a bit like Doug and John, its was just about beating Neils time!
Old 06-16-2014, 04:29 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by Ridgeline911
I have Pagid Yellows RS29 in the road car, and they are a bit squealy.. At every onramp , I feel like people are wondering why i don't fix my brakes!

I run Pagid Blacks RS14 in the track car and they are outstanding. They are very consistent and very strong stopping. I did get new discs and pads and spent some time bedding both in and have been rewarded with a system Pad/Disc that works for my application. They seem to be a bit prone to deposit transfer

I'm interested in a pad like the RS14, that might not deposit crap on the disc as easily...
I've run Endless in the 944 and am now running Pagid Yellow RS29 in both the 944 and 996tt. I loved the Endless, but the Pagids last longer and bite well cold and hot. A good performer that lasts in my experience.

The Pagids squeal on the road, no question there. In terms of build up problems, I've experienced that with all sorts of pads. I think it comes down to how you bed them in.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:30 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Since we don't have a more recent trace, this is Paul's best timed lap on 26 Feb against my best lap yesterday. 1.18.772 versus 1.19.953. Wishful thinking maybe that Herman is capable of mid 1.18?
Attached Images  
Old 06-16-2014, 04:39 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Since we don't have a more recent trace, this is Paul's best timed lap on 26 Feb against my best lap yesterday. 1.18.772 versus 1.19.953. Wishful thinking maybe that Herman is capable of mid 1.18?
I bet Steve's ears are burning ... But seriously, great achievement yesterday.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:46 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

^^^^ Would be great to see Pauls trace now. Hes knocked 2s a lap off that Feb outing (IIRC that was his first time on track with the 993 before he did the engine mounts, tranny mounts, PSS10 and ARBs, short shift kit etc).

Paul what your Vmax now on the front straight? 200kmph?

John. Im sure Herman can do a mid 1.18 - but to be honest I dont think its possible with current configuration or unless you are Walter Rohl biding time as a mild mannered Banker!

More development $$$ LOL!
Old 06-16-2014, 04:57 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Maxem
Doug's red car has Endless ME22 pads at each corner. I only ran them once at Puke. Very strong. Looking forward to seeing how long they last to justify the $800 ticket. Looking back at my notes, the Pagid RS 4-2 Blues lasted only 4 track days in a total of about 3000k's and were then toast at their half worn stage which seems to be typical for Pagids.
Phew.... Just caught up on 20 hours of this thread. It's like a full time job keeping up with it :-)

When I got Lola the Endless ME22 pads were virtually new. They squealed terribly at slow speed and even on the track. However, once they'd had some hard use they bedded in and have virtually not squeaked since. They pull the car up pretty quick and I've never experienced any fading on track days. After 7,500km of SITT, 7 track days they appear to have over half the pad thickness remaining. That's a pretty rough measure... My progressive lenses with a torch under the guard while I'm changing wheels aren't the best for me to see clearly.

On Sunday the lack of a decent cool down lap had my brakes smoking so on Dan's insistence I beetled off for a decent cool down run on the main road after each session. This finishing the cool down after turn 2 might get us through fast but is tough on the cars. It was mostly the tiny little back brakes though. Poor little buggers have to work too hard. C4 rear callipers are on the list when I eventually wear out the current ME22's.

Thanks for the offer Macca. Steve has some for me too. I'll PM you.

John, pleased I bet you at least at something on Sunday - ha ha. While not under 1:20, I was chuffed with my PB of 1:20.362

I loved the day, just frustrated that all this fun has to be so hard on the cars. I set out to take it easy but that lasts only a couple of sessions. Mostly kept the revs at a max of 6,200 with the occasional 6,400 heading up the back straight. 24 years old and full noise track days with lots of runs plus chasing John and its sure to end badly eventually. Seriously thinking of putting a deep sump on the Boxster S to chase the water cooled boys and retiring Lola to cruising, smelling leather, petrol and dropping back into the late '80's from time to time. It probably won't happen but it is what's going through my head.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:01 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

I'd like to get some 214s in 18 to try out but not sure they have 18s in NZ. I didn't like the feel of them in 17s versus the 221s in 18. Too much movement in the sidewall and felt like I lost a lot of feel. They might be .5 sec faster, max, I'll dig out the testing times Steve and I did.

Never had any problems with ME20 fade or shudder over sprint distances. Haven't used that compound for anything beyond 10 laps or 15km stages though.

EDIT- the times are no good for real comparison. We had soft 221s and medium 214s. 214s were .2 sec faster on Steve's time. I went faster on the 221 than the 214. I suspect gap would be more on like for like compound.
I would say the general consensus would be that 214's are faster than 221's and in dry conditions the preferred tyre for most. How much faster is harder, its about the car, the conditions and where the drivers head is on the day, including how consistent their lap times are.

Some of the fastest laps I saw in 944's in the race series this year were on 221's. Kev Etches would be one of the most consistent and fastest drivers and he will have done back to back testing so would be able to answer the question. I would guess 214s are a maximum of 1 second fsster.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:05 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
I've run Endless in the 944 and am now running Pagid Yellow RS29 in both the 944 and 996tt. I loved the Endless, but the Pagids last longer and bite well cold and hot. A good performer that lasts in my experience.

The Pagids squeal on the road, no question there. In terms of build up problems, I've experienced that with all sorts of pads. I think it comes down to how you bed them in.
The RS29 are enduro pads right? I wonder what the comparable Endless ones go like. I haven't noticed the wear as much on my ME20s but I'm not running them as much as you guys.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:08 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

The RS29 are enduro pads right? I wonder what the comparable Endless ones go like. I haven't noticed the wear as much on my ME20s but I'm not running them as much as you guys.
Yes, they are the endurance pads. Comparison to the Endless endurance pads would be interesting,
Old 06-16-2014, 05:13 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
^^^^ Would be great to see Pauls trace now. Hes knocked 2s a lap off that Feb outing (IIRC that was his first time on track with the 993 before he did the engine mounts, tranny mounts, PSS10 and ARBs, short shift kit etc). Paul what your Vmax now on the front straight? 200kmph? John. Im sure Herman can do a mid 1.18 - but to be honest I dont think its possible with current configuration or unless you are Walter Rohl biding time as a mild mannered Banker! More development $$$ LOL!
Vmax for me on the day was 194.8km/hr. I imagine Paul is hitting 200km/hr.

Of the 1.18 minute difference, the braking point on turn one to end of braking on turn 2 accounts for 0.834 seconds. I'd say Steve could punt Herman under 1.19 as is. A better pad set up could take him under 1.18.50.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:13 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Yes, they are the endurance pads. Comparison to the Endless endurance pads would be interesting,
I will try them out next time around. Wish I was using them in a proper enduro. Got to figure out getting back for one of the rounds.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?