Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 05:20 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
I will try them out next time around. Wish I was using them in a proper enduro. Got to figure out getting back for one of the rounds.
Is Hampton Downs enduro at the end of July still an option for you?
Old 06-16-2014, 05:30 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Is Hampton Downs enduro at the end of July still an option for you?
Not in the race car, unfortunately. I was 100% in but I'm not sure if I'm going to be moving to the US or NZ in so I've put everything on ice.

As soon as I know one way or the other I will start booking in events. Just need a little clarity which I will hopefully have in the next couple of weeks.

That wouldn't be enough time for Steve to recage the race car but I could lease.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:31 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Phew.... Just caught up on 20 hours of this thread. It's like a full time job keeping up with it :-) When I got Lola the Endless ME22 pads were virtually new. They squealed terribly at slow speed and even on the track. However, once they'd had some hard use they bedded in and have virtually not squeaked since. They pull the car up pretty quick and I've never experienced any fading on track days. After 7,500km of SITT, 7 track days they appear to have over half the pad thickness remaining. That's a pretty rough measure... My progressive lenses with a torch under the guard while I'm changing wheels aren't the best for me to see clearly. On Sunday the lack of a decent cool down lap had my brakes smoking so on Dan's insistence I beetled off for a decent cool down run on the main road after each session. This finishing the cool down after turn 2 might get us through fast but is tough on the cars. It was mostly the tiny little back brakes though. Poor little buggers have to work too hard. C4 rear callipers are on the list when I eventually wear out the current ME22's. Thanks for the offer Macca. Steve has some for me too. I'll PM you. John, pleased I bet you at least at something on Sunday - ha ha. While not under 1:20, I was chuffed with my PB of 1:20.362 I loved the day, just frustrated that all this fun has to be so hard on the cars. I set out to take it easy but that lasts only a couple of sessions. Mostly kept the revs at a max of 6,200 with the occasional 6,400 heading up the back straight. 24 years old and full noise track days with lots of runs plus chasing John and its sure to end badly eventually. Seriously thinking of putting a deep sump on the Boxster S to chase the water cooled boys and retiring Lola to cruising, smelling leather, petrol and dropping back into the late '80's from time to time. It probably won't happen but it is what's going through my head.
When Paul retires the 993 there is a chasm that really only a GT3 can bridge, unless the Caymans become more regular track goers.

As for wear and tear on cars, the 964s acquitted themselves pretty well. I don't sense am impending implosion with Lola, but I suppose you never know. Maybe take the Boxster to the sprints on 3/8
Old 06-16-2014, 05:38 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
Not in the race car, unfortunately. I was 100% in but I'm not sure if I'm going to be moving to the US or NZ in so I've put everything on ice.

As soon as I know one way or the other I will start booking in events. Just need a little clarity which I will hopefully have in the next couple of weeks.

That wouldn't be enough time for Steve to recage the race car but I could lease.
Bugger, woulddbe good to be back here using your cars. I'm sure Steve has a car you could use in the enduro!
Old 06-16-2014, 05:50 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Vmax for me on the day was 194.8km/hr. I imagine Paul is hitting 200km/hr.

Of the 1.18 minute difference, the braking point on turn one to end of braking on turn 2 accounts for 0.834 seconds. I'd say Steve could punt Herman under 1.19 as is. A better pad set up could take him under 1.18.50.
John. Those are the development $$$ I was talking of. If you want to brake as well as the 993 and consistently IMO you need a brake upgrade or at the very least a clever ventilation system with some performance pads and AM slotted rotors IMO. Paul has rebuilt all his suspension in since Feb with solid RS bushes, he's installed RS front uprights and tie rods, done the shocks ARBs and rear solid suspension tub mounts, full geo etc but one thing he hasn't changed since those traces is his brakes. The hardware is the same. To get the 964 operating in that zone reliably you need an upgrade or an intelligent heat management solution........for sure.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:55 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Fair call. But in my defence the 993 has been a development project over many years and long before RSG or my first taste of the track early last year. Its a very personal and individual thing and speed has not been the prime focus of the cars evolution. To be honest it still isn't. I've built that car to be the very best car for me. for however I choose to use it. Money for performance return has never been the goal for that car - I've spent more on the interior than the suspension and probably as much on the car overall as the new GT3. No one can point at my 993 and say its trying to be something it isn't, its a very individual statement that has to fit into my unique lifestyle. Its a tourer (my wife sat in it for 5000 km a few months ago during SITT), a track car (its becoming quicker), a fast road car (its best "suit" - more Targa Tour please..) and a passion and hobby for 14 years. It will of course likely never be sold....

Lets face it we wanted to go faster than the others, for cheaper, we would buy something like a 996/7 GT3. 1.15's...no problem!

I'm the first to admit Im a novice and can still improve a lot from tuition and experience. Being compared to guys like Paul in any capacity is a compliment as I rate him as a driver.

P.S. Paul will have 100K in his 993 soon enough given the rate of development ;-)
Macca - don't take it personally mate - on 3 out of 4 tracks on the SITT you were quicker than me.

The development on my car is finished, the solid mounts and replacement bushes made no performance difference, other than to make my car noisier........

A high 16 is the cars limit....................

Next steps are to buy Kiwicarguy's seats, put a modern stereo in and redo the nasty paint job on the car.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:57 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the data points Sean. Im sure I heard 1.0s a lap somewhere. Paul, maybe it was the Bridgestone guys?
I think tyres are a personal thing like suspension set up. My preference is still the Bridgestones.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:11 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Sam sent me some more images. Looking at each one I can say that I had the car unbalanced over the turn and should have given it opposite lock and planted boot. turn 3 is not the place to lean it over
Rear suspension is too soft John - NO WAY you should have the car on 3 wheels. Stiffer rear sway bar or more aggressive re-bushing needed.

You will not see anyone else's car on 3 wheels - especially to that degree.

Here is a photo of you car again on 3 wheels (this isn't your spin lap) and pics' of Chris and I in the same location.
Attached Images    
Old 06-16-2014, 06:17 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Macca - don't take it personally mate - on 3 out of 4 tracks on the SITT you were quicker than me.

The development on my car is finished, the solid mounts and replacement bushes made no performance difference, other than to make my car noisier........

A high 16 is the cars limit....................

Next steps are to buy Kiwicarguy's seats, put a modern stereo in and redo the nasty paint job on the car.
In fairness to you mate you probably could have had your shocks set up a bit firmer on SITT for some extra time....

If you say 1.16.8 is the cars limit at HD then Im satisfied with that. Two days out and Im sure you could have squeezed every ounce it could realistically produced. Might have to flip you my keys sometime to see if a sub 1.16 is possible (so I dont have to do it ha ha!).

In terms of your future plans for the car, personally I think you are doing the right thing. You've addressed all the critical handling points, the car is solid and will last years if not subjected to constant track abuse. Some nice hardback sport seats and a decent ICE and you have a car that can lap 16s at HD, enjoy spirited runs to Waipu Cove (Im back in July lets go again!) and take the family for a tour. Stop there and buy a dedicated race car before you spend any more on the 993....
Old 06-16-2014, 06:21 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

^^^^ Would be great to see Pauls trace now. Hes knocked 2s a lap off that Feb outing (IIRC that was his first time on track with the 993 before he did the engine mounts, tranny mounts, PSS10 and ARBs, short shift kit etc).

Paul what your Vmax now on the front straight? 200kmph?

John. Im sure Herman can do a mid 1.18 - but to be honest I dont think its possible with current configuration or unless you are Walter Rohl biding time as a mild mannered Banker!

More development $$$ LOL!
Yes - 200 - 205 kph...............

John - if I owned your car I would rebuild the suspension (same as Doug's - after all Matt researched it and you are brave or dumb to take him on in research) to find an easy second.

Doug - if I owned your car - fresh 214's on the 16's is my bet for a easy 18.

Everything is in the suspension - you brake later, can drive through corners quicker and therefore exit onto the straights faster.......simple.

Just my 10c.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:35 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes - 200 - 205 kph...............

John - if I owned your car I would rebuild the suspension (same as Doug's - after all Matt researched it and you are brave or dumb to take him on in research) to find an easy second.

Doug - if I owned your car - fresh 214's on the 16's is my bet for a easy 18.

Everything is in the suspension - you brake later, can drive through corners quicker and therefore exit onto the straights faster.......simple.

Just my 10c.
Those KW V3 coilovers for the win then. An easy but not overly cheap second to grab, but very good road and track performance compared to most, as also attested by the same V3s on some of the more noted 'Ring 996Ts. That said, better bang for buck than the next level up (like Motons and JRZs if they do them for 964s).
Old 06-16-2014, 06:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Wow 200-205 kmph. Very good.....
Old 06-16-2014, 06:40 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
Interesting that not many of us are using PFC pad compounds? Only me and matt G?
PFC06 front and PFC01 rears get a thumbs up from reading so far. What are you guys using?
Old 06-16-2014, 06:44 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Yes - 200 - 205 kph............... John - if I owned your car I would rebuild the suspension (same as Doug's - after all Matt researched it and you are brave or dumb to take him on in research) to find an easy second. Doug - if I owned your car - fresh 214's on the 16's is my bet for a easy 18. Everything is in the suspension - you brake later, can drive through corners quicker and therefore exit onto the straights faster.......simple. Just my 10c. .
But I can't legally drive 214s on the road, right?
Old 06-16-2014, 06:48 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Yes - 200 - 205 kph............... John - if I owned your car I would rebuild the suspension (same as Doug's - after all Matt researched it and you are brave or dumb to take him on in research) to find an easy second. Doug - if I owned your car - fresh 214's on the 16's is my bet for a easy 18. Everything is in the suspension - you brake later, can drive through corners quicker and therefore exit onto the straights faster.......simple. Just my 10c. .
Respect the thoughts but Herman is all but finished as is. I'll vent the brakes and get some new pads. My AIM traces show too much variance to think that $$$ are the answer to going sub 1.19.5 right now.

It's the person behind the wheel that will get the development from here. Go Karting is the start. I'll also do some more regularity trials to get 7/10th practice on turn one.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?