Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 11:35 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah. 180 would be more reasonable. They typically dont monitor Tourists Trackit traces real time but will tell you next morning if you were over doing it day before. Most of the time 150kmph is fine as there should be tonnes of twisty stuff. If you are going to have an incident I doubt it will be above 160 as you only really hit those speeds on the straights where visibility is good....

Great work on Day 1. Two more days to go.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:17 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three cars got a warning at the end of the day for over speed. Do it again and they get sent home so looks like they've got firmer now Macca. Anyone over 6km over the limit was on the list. Not any RSGers though.

Will post a few pics from my phone next.

Photo of Paul catching up on emails from our apartment.
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2014, 02:19 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Jeez. They have got alot tougher. I had heard they did last year but didnt know for sure. Lets hope it doesnt become too PC - would take the fun out of it!

I recognise that guy from the SITT!
Old 05-16-2014, 02:22 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Some photos from Targa day 1
Attached Images          
Old 05-16-2014, 02:24 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Couple more
Attached Images   
Old 05-16-2014, 02:24 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Knackered. Time for beer and food at Wild Hogs next door
Old 05-16-2014, 02:33 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Looks good. Couldnt have asked for better weather.

Say hi to Samurai Mike (Datsun) and his son Adam from Jo & I.

P.S. Be careful of Paul. If he breaks your car I reckon he's done a deal with our Lambo guy - forgotten his name - nice chap - to get a drive of the Gallardo!).

Enjoy your beer. Get plenty of sleep. Some good roads tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:05 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Knackered. Time for beer and food at Wild Hogs next door
Tell us more when you are fed and watered.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:21 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lowered speeds on Targa Tour NZ (160 now vs 200)

Originally Posted by Macca
Yeah. 180 would be more reasonable. They typically dont monitor Tourists Trackit traces real time but will tell you next morning if you were over doing it day before. Most of the time 150kmph is fine as there should be tonnes of twisty stuff. If you are going to have an incident I doubt it will be above 160 as you only really hit those speeds on the straights where visibility is good.....
Here's wishing you guys mile upon mile of nice tight twisties then.

Just looked back at Racechrono and this year's Ecolight Sprint Tour stages around Puke were fairly tight too but would still see me over 150kph at least ten times in as many kms, and over that annoying new 160 limit about every 2 or 3 kms. Cars like mine - and ChrisB's presumably - only need about 4 secs and less than 200m to get from 100 to 160 so even a short straight sees us up there. I was on normal road tyres too, and, like you say, it is actually safer to make speed on the straights than in the corners. Even at that pace I'd rather have had clear road ahead but I think I'd be starting a black flag collection on this Tour...

A while back I was concerned about the 200 limit but still lived with that fine on the right roads. A 160 limit starts to remind me of the HD regularity trials which I've pretty much sworn off repeating, unless in something like a 2.5 Boxster or original 928. Would think Peter and the team have found the best roads they could though, to minimise the impact. Still much nicer to be out there amongst it than commuting like me today!

Doug - please give Jane my regards. You're in very good hands. Cheers - Walter
Old 05-16-2014, 03:24 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Three cars got a warning at the end of the day for over speed. Do it again and they get sent home so looks like they've got firmer now Macca. Anyone over 6km over the limit was on the list. Not any RSGers though.
Ouch - my mistake, so it's only one black flag and then sent home with a note
Old 05-16-2014, 03:45 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

^^^ Some good points here. All the more reason to buy a 993 and do it. Youll be as fast in the twisties as a modded 996 TT (if our SITT and NITT are any indication) but you'll probably never break 160 kmph unless the straight is fairly long. David (Maxem) held a gun to my head and made me drive at around 85% of Targa speed for a hour or two one day heading north and although I was too busy talking to look at the speedo he will probably tell you 160-170 was probably the upper zone.

Ive had this discussion Ron & others with the real power 4WD gear before. Mainly they take those cars for safety - in wet or dry with automated boxes and ESC and TC etc they are driving well within 65% of the cars performance envelope. I get out of the 993 with a totally wet back of T short, Ron gets out after air con and listening to his favourite tunes totally relaxed LOL!
Old 05-16-2014, 04:37 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

We are travelling without incident and to keep it that way. No risks being taken and pace keeping us very competitive in class so all happy
Old 05-16-2014, 04:39 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Great work Graeme - keep it that way!
Old 05-16-2014, 05:35 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

^^^ Some good points here. All the more reason to buy a 993 and do it. Youll be as fast in the twisties as a modded 996 TT (if our SITT and NITT are any indication) but you'll probably never break 160 kmph unless the straight is fairly long. David (Maxem) held a gun to my head and made me drive at around 85% of Targa speed for a hour or two one day heading north and although I was too busy talking to look at the speedo he will probably tell you 160-170 was probably the upper zone.
Yes, would've held onto my 79 928 but needed to keep the peace. Would be the real rally deal probably, with onboard mechanic needed.

Ive had this discussion Ron & others with the real power 4WD gear before. Mainly they take those cars for safety - in wet or dry with automated boxes and ESC and TC etc they are driving well within 65% of the cars performance envelope. I get out of the 993 with a totally wet back of T short, Ron gets out after air con and listening to his favourite tunes totally relaxed LOL!
Mine tends to shut those systems down itself within the first corner or two anyway, bar the AWD of course. I do plead guilty to running the Tour with aircon on though. No point not doing so, as it was more traffic limited than power limited. Sometimes on at track too, bar while racing. When looking for any more excitement I favour one wheel drive:

Name:  Triple-HD sm.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  70.2 KB

Of course, your GT3 is included in the cars that are maybe too fast for the Tour now too.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:05 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Ron is in his manual yellow 991 2S.

I often had to button off at the 155km beep warning and "cruise" for a bit until the next corner.

The last stage over the Coromandel hill was fricking awesome. PSM off, full noise, with very aggressive corners in both sharpness and upward or downward angle. I got at least 4-5 "shiiiiit!" expletives out of Paul, poor bugger. It's a bit different behind the wheel and being in control. I think he was thinking "Douggie I really hope you've got this one" a few times. Nice getting the **** hanging out a little. On some of the really aggressive corners I was fair grating the front lip on the ground with the load and angles of attack.

Hung back about 100+ metres from the car in front most of the day to avoid stone damage. Started the day just in front of the middle pace car and moved up the field slowly until finding our rightful place at about position 8 or so.

Dan was waiting over here in Whitianga with his van and a new o2 sensor for Chris' car and is staying the night.

Tomorrow morning's forecast is 3 degrees! We meet up at the start at 6:15am so all tucked up in bed already after a long exciting tiring fabulous day.

Hooked, addicted and thinking of the SI targa tour later in the year.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?