Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^^ Good points Matt. Enough said.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:18 PM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
My comment around cab's is that some cars are not allowed - try getting an MX5 across the line at a play day or a 911 cab? I note as I write the Sprints flyer at the moment that cab's are not allowed for PCNZ. Boxters can only run in single and not dual sprints, and only in a secession by themselves.
MX5 needs aftermarket roll hoops fitted. A recent 911 cab (986/996 up, never looked closely at older ones) already has approved roll hoops and can be run.

My greater question is allowing passengers, which we obviously can't do for any PCNZ, Uncles or Play Day - come to think of it any track day event (without a cage)
What's the relevance? The passenger was more or less uninjured. No evidence or suggestion that carrying a passenger had any input in to the event. There are also a number of track days organized where passengers are permitted in any car as long as they're wearing overalls and a helmet. Playdays rules are stricter by their own choice, as I understand it (and have no problem with that, their events are well run). The time I attended Uncles, passengers were permitted in uncaged cars per the above. PCNZ events are run as MSNZ events so have difference rules again.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:19 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Even after talking to Simon I'm still unable to picture the exact part of the track this happened on. Simon said it was the same place he came off at the last PCNZ race practice.

He took out his rear left quarter, but walked away. No doubt the higher safety requirements from a race setup helped.

Condolences to the family.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:35 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

While I feel very sorry for the 360 spider driver and his family, I seriously question how you can drive a) a convertible at full speed without a cage, b) at full speed with a passenger and no cage??

I think the organisers and C.O.C might be in a bit of trouble here??
Paul, Im pretty sure a 360 had roll hoops?
Old 05-12-2014, 10:40 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca - I'm not sure a 993 can go that slow?? (ha-ha hee-hee) .
If one shows up at a Playday I'll relay that message to the driver.

As an aside, a message to the rest of the SITT crew. Last night I sat down to start the Highlands edit. Unfortunately my iMac hard drive decided to crash, permanently. Long story short this will take a while to fix as the Apple hard drive has proprietary temp control features and after replacing it I need to reload iMovie etc. luckily my footage data was not on it.

The good news is that I can work on the Turbo 3.6 struts tonight with full focus.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:49 PM
mjg
Pro

I really need to sit down and sort through all my SITT photos and video... Macca's getting impatient for copies!
Old 05-12-2014, 11:03 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
I really need to sit down and sort through all my SITT photos and video... Macca's getting impatient for copies!
I have a pic of you in the kitty litter and some footage of you cleaning it out. It would be good to have your perspective of it.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:43 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
MX5 needs aftermarket roll hoops fitted. A recent 911 cab (986/996 up, never looked closely at older ones) already has approved roll hoops and can be run.

What's the relevance? The passenger was more or less uninjured. No evidence or suggestion that carrying a passenger had any input in to the event. There are also a number of track days organized where passengers are permitted in any car as long as they're wearing overalls and a helmet. Playdays rules are stricter by their own choice, as I understand it (and have no problem with that, their events are well run). The time I attended Uncles, passengers were permitted in uncaged cars per the above. PCNZ events are run as MSNZ events so have difference rules again.
The relevance is he actually had a passenger in the car and was allowed to circulate at more than 100kph. No other track day event will allow you to do this without a cage unless it is competitor coaching.

So the question is why was a passenger allowed in the car (unless he was a driver trainer?)
Old 05-12-2014, 11:57 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Not in the PCNZ events - Helen can't run her 996 C4S cab in any sprint event.

I can't speak for what Play Day allows.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:13 AM
mjg
Pro

No other track day event will allow you to do this without a cage unless it is competitor coaching.
As I already pointed out above, that's not true.

As far as I can tell (but would be curious to hear from Tony/Gary on this), the passenger rules have been voluntarily adopted from the MSNZ Clubsport passenger rules, but track days are not MSNZ events (in general; the Levels one was). Another example: the same rules also require scrutineering which seem to be applied at the event organisers discretion rather than as a rule.

IMHO, it's not really appropriate to suggest the organisers could/may/should be in trouble based on a newspaper article and a limited understanding of the rules these events are run under.

Not in the PCNZ events - Helen can't run her 996 C4S cab in any sprint event.

I can't speak for what Play Day allows.
We're talking about track days... PCNZ Sprints are a MSNZ event and fall under their jurisdiction with different rules, so stuff about open top cars applies for that.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:26 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
As I already pointed out above, that's not true.

As far as I can tell (but would be curious to hear from Tony/Gary on this), the passenger rules have been voluntarily adopted from the MSNZ Clubsport passenger rules, but track days are not MSNZ events (in general; the Levels one was). Another example: the same rules also require scrutineering which seem to be applied at the event organisers discretion rather than as a rule.

IMHO, it's not really appropriate to suggest the organisers could/may/should be in trouble based on a newspaper article and a limited understanding of the rules these events are run under.

We're talking about track days... PCNZ Sprints are a MSNZ event and fall under their jurisdiction with different rules, so stuff about open top cars applies for that.
Yes but Hawkes Bay car club are a MSNZ club, so run under MSNZ rules (not track day rules). So comparing this to Play Day or any other track day organiser is totally irrelevant.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:29 AM
mjg
Pro

Yes by Hawkes Bay car club are a MSNZ club, so run under MSNZ rules (not track day rules). So comparing this to Play Day or any other track day organiser is totally irrelevant.
Originally Posted by NZHerald
MotorSport NZ general manager Brian Budd said that as the track was being hired privately at the time of the crash, it wasn't subject to the organisation's rules. "We've got no jurisdiction over it."
Old 05-13-2014, 12:31 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Matt, not suggesting anyone has done anything wrong - just questioning how you are allowed passengers - A's I'd like to take them and be taken too??
Old 05-13-2014, 12:33 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Well there is the answer then. It has nothing to do with Hawkes Bay Car Club?
Good homework digging.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:40 AM
mjg
Pro

Matt, not suggesting anyone has done anything wrong - just questioning how you are allowed passengers - A's I'd like to take them and be taken too??
Fair enough, I was just concerned that...

I think the organisers and C.O.C might be in a bit of trouble here??
...could be interpreted the wrong way, and it's important to remember this is a public forum and this story is getting a fair bit of coverage in the media. I'd hate to see them run a quote from a forum that put this activity in a bad light and/or caused negative repercussions.

Well there is the answer then. It has nothing to do with Hawkes Bay Car Club?
Good homework digging.
Specifically, it was run by the "Hawke's Bay Club" (http://www.hawkesbayclub.co.nz/events.html), which isn't an MSNZ club.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?