Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 05:54 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New business op? Bunch of spares? Fancy bird houses?

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/4783591789.html
Old 12-18-2014, 06:16 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
New business op? Bunch of spares? Fancy bird houses?

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/4783591789.html
Bags the yellow one if you're flicking them on for birdhouse money!
Old 12-18-2014, 05:07 PM
PHG
Racer

Originally Posted by Maxem
Ahh, yes. A much researched area of vehicles by myself.
My 2 c worth would be to go Q5, Tiguan, or New shape Touareg, as new as possible. 30k will only see a Tiguan selected from that lot.
The right SUV will hold out better than most equivalent sedans. If I had bought an X5 3.0 diesel for similar money and year and Km's as my 530 MS several years ago the x5 would be worth double the 5 series now because they are so popular. A petrol X5, forget it.
Now the same can't be said for all SUV's and I believe that Cayenne's don't fit in that category of older desirable SUV's (my opinion, due to expense and the researchable horrors, and reflected in the cheaper asking prices). Towing; if I unload my 5 series in favour of the Golf then I have lost my tow vehicle, but the Tiguan actually has a 2.2 tonne capacity (0.2 more than the BMW) which is surprising for a smaller SUV so I will use that for the once a year haul up from Tauranga and the short flat trips to the ramp. It will not look right with a 6m 1.8T rig behind it but on paper it is more capable that the 5 series. A Q5 will always be a darling SUV so will hold up well and I assume would have a 2.2T capacity as well, more than enough for a Honda and trailer. A rangie or a Landie? Leave that one to you and your chequebook.
My experience with Euro's is get them newish and leave them to someone else to sort the inevitable wear and tear issues approaching 100k's. And then suck up the depreciation as part of the game. Phil nailed it a while back trumpeting Hyundai's but you, like me, are probably not ready to go there yet!
cruel Dave... I went the Hyundai way 'cause I got tired of $1500 bills every time I took the S6 in to get the window to go up or mirror to work etc.. Hyundai's cost me nothing ..I am on my third now.!
Its the tight **** in me...
Old 12-18-2014, 05:21 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
cruel Dave... I went the Hyundai way 'cause I got tired of $1500 bills every time I took the S6 in to get the window to go up or mirror to work etc.. Hyundai's cost me nothing ..I am on my third now.!
Something to be said for this. Low hassle, no headache, low cost ownership. After playing with machinery in the toughest of environments here I have new found respect for Asian machinery. If you want a capable luxury 4x4 that can tow then Land Cruiser VX is very good. Land Cruiser 70 for the farm or tradie. Nissan Patrol ok too. The Korean product is getting so good now that for the price it cant be beaten. Days of old Lantra & Sportage are gone, new cars are close to European style and spec for half the dollars and seem for the most part durable too. Europe is a nice luxury, but with older gear pay through expensive maintenance and newer gear through depreciation. Too complex for The Rock with no back up parts. Still Toyota country here though the new T6 Ford Ranger has made huge inroads and is a better vehicle in every regard being ground up design from Australia. Toyota playing catch up whilst Nissan & Mitsi gone soft ute more suited for Bangkok than bang bang.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:00 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
I should be there too Phil, sensible for sure. Look at the Honda's still boxing on after a quarter of a million k's.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:04 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Jap crap = too much plastic interior.

I have worked too hard to not have heated, leather seats in my daily drivers.............

I'd rather have a used high spec used Euro than a plastic smelling new Toyota.

The trick with Euro's is to buy a mechanical warranty and move on after about 120km's as things start to wear out............I made the mistake of trying to run my first one to 200km's and PAID for it........
Old 12-18-2014, 07:24 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Macca
Something to be said for this. Low hassle, no headache, low cost ownership. After playing with machinery in the toughest of environments here I have new found respect for Asian machinery. If you want a capable luxury 4x4 that can tow then Land Cruiser VX is very good. Land Cruiser 70 for the farm or tradie. Nissan Patrol ok too. The Korean product is getting so good now that for the price it cant be beaten. Days of old Lantra & Sportage are gone, new cars are close to European style and spec for half the dollars and seem for the most part durable too. Europe is a nice luxury, but with older gear pay through expensive maintenance and newer gear through depreciation. Too complex for The Rock with no back up parts. Still Toyota country here though the new T6 Ford Ranger has made huge inroads and is a better vehicle in every regard being ground up design from Australia. Toyota playing catch up whilst Nissan & Mitsi gone soft ute more suited for Bangkok than bang bang.
Well put Macca. Rode in a Santa Fe the other day and only the el cheapo interior let it down noticeably, but maybe it was the low spec one. When I replaced the 750iL, the Cayenne was on my 'work wagon' shortlist, along with Rangerover, X5, XC70, (don't laugh - went off it after I took it down a Targa road), Touareg something, Landcruiser. I've looked at the Cayenne Turbo a few times and was even offered a ~120,000 km one for under 20K once but turned it down. Not because it isn't an impressive bit of engineering, but ultimately I decided it was neither fish nor fowl and I'd never have the emotional attachment to it that stops me counting the cost of servicing and feeding tyres to the 996T.

If you can look past the glacial acceleration, the Landcruiser is fantastically suited for towing but I personally just couldn't daily drive a barge with such dull handling. Patrols have a great name as real 4WDs (or did last time I looked) and I test drove an aftermarket turboed petrol one in an effort to find a faster Landcruiser but it was a dog with super peaky delivery and a shot, wallowy suspension that reminded me of a GL Merc's.

I was looking to tick a lot of boxes (a well handling and sub 8 sec quick AWD wagon with enough work carpark cred as a back up car for me, removable 3rd row as a back up car for my wife, moderate tow capability, and decent cost of ownership) so the older height adjustable Audi allroad took it out. If doing much serious towing then even the manual diesel allroad is still too light for you though and you're probably looking for something newer anyway. Be interested to see what you settle on John, after some test drives.

For pure entertainment's sake for us Rennlisters, my JohnM tow wagon vote goes to the Lambo LM002 that came up at Turners some time back.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:57 PM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Well put Macca. Rode in a Santa Fe the other day and only the el cheapo interior let it down noticeably
A 996 owner fussy about interiors?

For pure entertainment's sake for us Rennlisters, my JohnM tow wagon vote goes to the Lambo LM002 that came up at Turners some time back.
This might be more suitable for John's race team: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/truc...-817597669.htm
Old 12-18-2014, 08:29 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mjg
A 996 owner fussy about interiors?

This might be more suitable for John's race team: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/truc...-817597669.htm
Damn it Matt, you know the rules! John will be splitting that 79K seven ways already...

Apparently some 996s do have large expanses of bare plastic but mine is all leathered up, right through to the air con louvres so the only things that took some getting used to after the 928 were the much lighter doors and switchgear. The Turbo was among the fastest production cars of its time so I just figured those were just the price you pay for keeping the weight down (and then bringing it back up a bit again with optioned leather).

Granted, a Hyundai would look odd with a Zonda interior but it wouldn't hurt for them to give it a bit of a bump.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:07 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Damn it Matt, you know the rules! John will be splitting that 79K seven ways already... Apparently some 996s do have large expanses of bare plastic but mine is all leathered up, right through to the air con louvres so the only things that took some getting used to after the 928 were the much lighter doors and switchgear. The Turbo was among the fastest production cars of its time so I just figured those were just the price you pay for keeping the weight down (and then bringing it back up a bit again with optioned leather). Granted, a Hyundai would look odd with a Zonda interior but it wouldn't hurt for them to give it a bit of a bump.
Good idea, transport and accommodation rolled into one. However too much work for vinyl wrapping so it may be a non starter
Old 12-18-2014, 09:12 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
cruel Dave... I went the Hyundai way 'cause I got tired of $1500 bills every time I took the S6 in to get the window to go up or mirror to work etc.. Hyundai's cost me nothing ..I am on my third now.! Its the tight **** in me...
Phil, looking at brand new Santa Fe, and somewhat surprised at the expense. It would be hard to choose that over a 3 or 4 year old Q5.

In any case, the number of cars has to reduce one more before I look at a purchase so a bit of time to sort it out.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:15 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The trouble with Hyundai's is the door handles...
Old 12-18-2014, 09:15 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...they're attached to Hyundai's.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:20 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Jason, I saw Mr Blue at CCS today with a KW box on the back seat. When do you get to run that bad boy?
Old 12-18-2014, 09:52 PM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
...they're attached to Hyundai's.
love it!

Despite the badge, the Santa Fe's do get an amazing review when it comes to an SUV that is not too big, and can tow.

The other one to look at is the new Ford Kuga. Not out of place in Kohi or Kawhia. Not too big and drives well. Nothing like a multi-million dollar ford global budget to help produce something well. Titanium model is full leather.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?