Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 05:52 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^ nice theme there.

John, I'd love yo do some cruising alongside the 3.6t. She might need a shakedown/wakeup trip or two over the next year? :-)
Old 04-14-2014, 05:58 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
^^^^ sage advice
Ditto that. I've had both and they are completely different cars with different purpose for owning.

A sorted 997 is a relative bargain but you're right, production numbers will mean they are never truly rare.

A sound manual 993 is an appreciating classic. You'll want to drive it but at some point its investment status may well stop you using it 'every day.'

Comes down to whether you are wanting an occasional car or a daily driver.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:04 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Ditto that. I've had both and they are completely different cars with different purpose for owning.

A sorted 997 is a relative bargain but you're right, production numbers will mean they are never truly rare.

A sound manual 993 is an appreciating classic. You'll want to drive it but at some point its investment status may well stop you using it 'every day.'

Agree. The one step further piece which is becoming prevalent now in the UK and US is that if you own a 993 or 964 you will not be wanting to take these on the track or Targa in a few years time either if you are concerned about $$$ and condition etc. Probably take quite a little while for this to catch up in NZ luckily - currently 964 is track day value choice IMO.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:26 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
^^^^ nice theme there. John, I'd love yo do some cruising alongside the 3.6t. She might need a shakedown/wakeup trip or two over the next year? :-)
Yes, clearing the logic in my head as it makes no price difference whether it is 105,000km or 125,000km. Only problem with the car is each time I drive it I fall in love again. The character is quite different to the NA 964 it runs on a wave of torque, it's not a revy engine.

Only thing holding me back right now is the strut. Trying to source the right tools to do this in my garage.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:23 PM
Luke944
Rennlist Member

True, true. All very good points. Thanks for all the advice. Certainly looks like I've come to the right place. My friends call me a Porsche geek so you guys are surely the Professors!

Time for a bit of planning out of what sort of garage make up I want for the next few years.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:09 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes agreed with Peter too.

We all sing from the same book as through the school of pcar life experiences, we have all come to the same conclusion.

The first thing you need to ask yourself is how the car will be used:

1) Daily
2) Track
3) Sunday Driver

As there are different answers. The 997 is the best answer for all 3, the 993 the best (maybe) for a Sunday driver.

You can't get hung up on depreciation/resale otherwise you will never use the car and we are the wrong crowd to hang out with (you need to introduce yourself to the garage queen/concourse boys) Just buy the best car you can, that comes with an inch thick of the previous owners bills.

It also has to be an emotional thing. I could have purchased a 997, but the 993 was an itch that needed scratching. I will move to anther itch some day, but could still easily own a 997. In Pete's case he went the Cayman S route, and Chris the 997 route. No right or wrong answer - just what makes you happy.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:14 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Good advice. Buy a "go car not a show car" and enjoy what it was built for, a great driving sports car. And then drive it. Lots.
That was a great day - we need to do another SI tour.Maybe not a track one, but it would nice to drive Cromwell again.

SIWT (SI wine or with wives tour??)
Old 04-14-2014, 09:23 PM
Ridgeline911
Advanced

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Yes agreed with Peter too.

We all sing from the same book as through the school of pcar life experiences, we have all come to the same conclusion.

The first thing you need to ask yourself is how the car will be used:

1) Daily
2) Track
3) Sunday Driver

As there are different answers. The 997 is the best answer for all 3, the 993 the best (maybe) for a Sunday driver.

You can't get hung up on depreciation/resale otherwise you will never use the car and we are the wrong crowd to hang out with (you need to introduce yourself to the garage queen/concourse boys) Just buy the best car you can, that comes with an inch thick of the previous owners bills.

It also has to be an emotional thing. I could have purchased a 997, but the 993 was an itch that needed scratching. I will move to anther itch some day, but could still easily own a 997. In Pete's case he went the Cayman S route, and Chris the 997 route. No right or wrong answer - just what makes you happy.
The only other thing I'd add is that I've noticed that a large group of PCar owners like to tinker, modify, hotrod or simply maintain their cars. 74-89 G-model 911s all share parts, so if thats your thing. The earlier 911s i.e. 74-89 have a much larger/easier to get hold of parts list. That certainly was on my radar when choosing the right car for me.

The right 911 is there, you just need to work what will make you happy.
ps. Track it, no matter which way you go
Old 04-14-2014, 09:58 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
That was a great day - we need to do another SI tour.Maybe not a track one, but it would nice to drive Cromwell again.

SIWT (SI wine or with wives tour??)
I'm definitely in for round 2 and it wouldn't bother me if we didn't do the tracks next time round. Happy to get my track fix at HD and the NITT
Old 04-14-2014, 10:50 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

For those of you in the Porsche Club, just a heads up that the Driver Training day application form should be coming out very shortly. If you don't receive within the week - please contact me.

Peter, John, Doug et. al. - I was going to get Jen to have a go this year, you should approach 'Domestic Mgmt' and see if they want to have a go too.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:40 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

It will be interesting to see the price gap between a pre DFI and DFI engined 997 as time goes on.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:33 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Great read over the recent posts. Best bet is get the car that is affordable, drivable and makes you feel good every time you get in it. Mine just reached the 100,000km mark. I'm sure it has resulted in significant devaluation but I'm not looking into it in detail. I'd rather be out driving it. I'd love to have an '81+ 911 SC as a project/outlet but the 997 is fine for now.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:03 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

I'm definitely in for round 2 and it wouldn't bother me if we didn't do the tracks next time round. Happy to get my track fix at HD and the NITT
Interest is building. Need to work on some dates now. Doug already has a great route planned.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:37 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
It will be interesting to see the price gap between a pre DFI and DFI engined 997 as time goes on.
Good point - no idea as to the relative volumes produced but on trademe is guess that pre DFI outnumber post by > 10 to 1?
Old 04-15-2014, 07:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The one 997 model excluding GT3 I believe will not depreciate as fast as the others and will perhaps remain very sought after is the GTS. That car I belive one day will be a future classic and perhaps the only non GT3 997 that will achieve that. Very few sold new in NZ and even less in manual so if you ever get the chance to buy one of these at a fair price very much suggest it will be a good investment...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?