Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 04:44 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

stuck in Queenstown today after a conference due to low cloud to had to drive to chch. Reminded that we were retracing some of the route across the Mckenzie Country on SITT. In CHCH Koru now waiting. Caught up on a few pages of the thread.

All I am going to say is Targa tour and race guys this weekend just drive with a bit in reserve because on all targa 's there will be a few corners that surprise. In the race field of course this is harder to do. For me intending to do the Targa SI in October I don't want any car issues in the meantime - the motorsport budget is already allocated - so the pace is the pace I won't be chasing the next placing improvement and try to up the pace once in the groove. Drivers and co drivers keep reminding each other during the day. Its winter - cold tyres, switch on to full concentration after a break, no charging over crests blah blah...
Old 05-13-2014, 04:48 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

and tour guys don't follow the guy in front to close and don't just watch his lines braking etc. cos if he makes a mistake so will you. watch the road and make you own decisions. Co drivers remind drivers of this
Old 05-13-2014, 05:20 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Doug, do you have the time for the break at the end of stages 11 and 13?
Sorry, John I have no idea. We have only been given the start and end times and number of stages. Where did you get this detail from. If you let us know your read of events timing we can certainly try to meet up.

Macca, it's front page around some of NZ. A slow news day. My job is risk. Give me the financial profile of 100 businesses and I will tell you how many of them will probably have payment difficulties in a year, but I won't necessarily be able to tell you exactly which ones. I figure we are doing the same thing here. We all suspect the dice will roll badly for someone if we do this often enough, but think it will be someone else. The list is starting to build in our own group, though nothing serious so far. I told Simon I had yet to spin so a Hans was not necessary right now. He quickly gave me a few scenarios where that rationalisation was irrelevant. We should all be as aware as possible of the risks we take and owe it to those that care about us to de-risk that.
This is why I posed the question, can we be allowed to wear helmets? Some appear to think it is because I want to race. Not true. It is to balance the risk of impact at an expected speed which is well over the normal speed limit... Not to give the driver confidence to go harder and faster.

Targa Tour is also designed to give people like me some experience prior to possibly getting more seriously into rallying.

Originally Posted by 996tnz
The Herald has just reported that the car got 'brand new tyres' at lunchtime, and it was a cold day. From the pictures showing the sidewalls, it looks like they are not as black as just bought ones to my eyes but if they were literally 'brand new' they may still have been a bit slippery with the factory mould release, on top of not yet having been scrubbed in. Regardless, it brings it home again. Even if he did everything right, the residual risks are real. My thoughts are with his family at this time, and I believe I we owe it to our own families to learn as much as we can from such terrible events, as well as our own and others near misses. As for the Targa Tour discussion, there is a kick in taking a corner well and I'm not sure that wearing a helmet would speed me up much more. Been faster elsewhere of course but it felt odd setting the speed chime at 195 to meet their 200 limit. They chose pretty tight roads for the one day targa sprint though so while we topped out just over 180, the chime was redundant. That said, hitting a decent tree at 200+ or at 120 is likely to have the same outcome, so common sense says that you drive to stay on the road but I'd also rather be wearing as much safety gear as permitted - at minimum some flameproof underwear plus cotton or wool rather than poly/nylon overs.
Thanks. I too would rather be wearing as much safety gear as possible to mitigate risk.

No reply from Targa NZ on my question but expect they're too flat out at this late stage to reply to silly emails :-)

Soon we will be on the road and this will all become academic unless something goes badly.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:39 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Doug, there are maps on the Targa site. I can see where the stages start and finish, plus where the mechanic stops are, but I can't see the times.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:55 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Change of subject..... Insurance.

We are fortunate to have Prestigio cover us for track days and Targa Tour with their special policy extensions and terms and conditions.

However, when it comes to claim time on any insurance policy it pays to have your i's dotted and t's crossed. This is where it can get a bit frustrating. I've had a bit of difficulty pinning Prestigio down in writing as to the exact terms and conditions of their track and Targa Tour extension covers. I work through a good broker and we'll get there. Some of their documentation is in conflict with what they're meaning.

A few things I've learned from talking with ChrisM about his experience and my broker, and my own experience so far.

If it comes to making a claim for a crashed or stolen or burnt "special" car, it is an advantage to have done the following on the anniversary of the policy (renewal tome, or close to it) to avoid a big disappointment on the value. My broker says there's no longer any such thing is agreed value. In the event of a claim they will commission two lisenced vehicle valuers to come up with a valuation. If you don't agree with the valuation, this is when your photos and lmvd valuation may be helpful. You have the right of appeal and to commission your own valuation.

So, on each anniversary of your insurance, do as follows:
* take photos of the outside of the car from all angles, the inside showing the condition, and any special features, eg new suspension, clean engine bay etc. Store these somewhere safe, eg on-line service. Ensure the date on your camera is set correctly as this will be included in the photo metadata.
* get a porsche lmvd give you a valuation at the next convenient service interval.

Hold the above on file yourself or with your broker for use in the event of a claim.

Another point about fine print.... Prestigio require drivers to have completed driver training to a level acceptable to Prestigio. As they don't define what that is, I documented all my driver training and emailed it to them via my broker requesting them to advise if this did not meet their requirements. No reply in my books equals acceptance.

Always advise them prior to an event. I request confirmation via email as evidence that I told them and that they are providing cover. Usually this is a standard email with their standard terms and conditions.

Feel free to add anything or give feedback.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:14 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Doug, there are maps on the Targa site. I can see where the stages start and finish, plus where the mechanic stops are, but I can't see the times.
Ahhh.... Found it... In the spectator notes. We don't know times except what's published in the road closures. I suspect "it all depends" on any holdups etc.

Sorry... We have no more information than what's on the website until we get our "packs" at scrutineering on Thursday.

What are you planning? Where will you be? Sorry to appear so dumb
Old 05-13-2014, 06:26 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. No "civilian" cars are permitted to enter the beginning of a stage between stages. This is because hot on the heels of the Tour are the competition cars. Essentially the road is closed a km or more back from where the guys will que up at the beginning of a stage and you wont have access unless you have a banner and relevant livery. I suggest you meet them at the end of the day when they are able to relax.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:27 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Or lunch time....

P.S. The stages never run precisely on time as the road needs to be cleared by car 00 before the first Tour car (01) enters..
Old 05-13-2014, 06:29 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Ahhh.... Found it... In the spectator notes. We don't know times except what's published in the road closures. I suspect "it all depends" on any holdups etc. Sorry... We have no more information than what's on the website until we get our "packs" at scrutineering on Thursday. What are you planning? Where will you be? Sorry to appear so dumb
Was planning to settle the Turbo 3.6 struts down with a road trip, and meeting you guys made some sense. However, that seems to be a bit premature now. The struts need to have a hole drilled before I can fit them and then they need to have a camber adjustment somewhere close to correct before doing hundreds of km. I don't think I can do this all before the weekend. I'll just have to hear it all through the forum posts and blog.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:39 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Change of subject..... Insurance.

We are fortunate to have Prestigio cover us for track days and Targa Tour with their special policy extensions and terms and conditions.

However, when it comes to claim time on any insurance policy it pays to have your i's dotted and t's crossed. This is where it can get a bit frustrating. I've had a bit of difficulty pinning Prestigio down in writing as to the exact terms and conditions of their track and Targa Tour extension covers. I work through a good broker and we'll get there. Some of their documentation is in conflict with what they're meaning.

A few things I've learned from talking with ChrisM about his experience and my broker, and my own experience so far.

If it comes to making a claim for a crashed or stolen or burnt "special" car, it is an advantage to have done the following on the anniversary of the policy (renewal tome, or close to it) to avoid a big disappointment on the value. My broker says there's no longer any such thing is agreed value. In the event of a claim they will commission two lisenced vehicle valuers to come up with a valuation. If you don't agree with the valuation, this is when your photos and lmvd valuation may be helpful. You have the right of appeal and to commission your own valuation.

So, on each anniversary of your insurance, do as follows:
* take photos of the outside of the car from all angles, the inside showing the condition, and any special features, eg new suspension, clean engine bay etc. Store these somewhere safe, eg on-line service. Ensure the date on your camera is set correctly as this will be included in the photo metadata.
* get a porsche lmvd give you a valuation at the next convenient service interval.

Hold the above on file yourself or with your broker for use in the event of a claim.

Another point about fine print.... Prestigio require drivers to have completed driver training to a level acceptable to Prestigio. As they don't define what that is, I documented all my driver training and emailed it to them via my broker requesting them to advise if this did not meet their requirements. No reply in my books equals acceptance.

Always advise them prior to an event. I request confirmation via email as evidence that I told them and that they are providing cover. Usually this is a standard email with their standard terms and conditions.

Feel free to add anything or give feedback.
Good work Doug and thanks for updating everyone here.

I did post on this subject briefly 3-4 weeks ago when scurrying around trying to find out who would be best to value my car. I deal direct with Prestigio. I had a letter of valuation sent to them by CCS a few weeks back as per your findings above (I also spoke with Chris M re his experiences). Luckily there are never any shortage of pictures of the car and Dean documents every round of work photographically. I have no doubt there could still be a **** fight with an insurance valuer who wasnt familiar with a 993 but I dont think Id have any trouble proving that I have more knowledge of these cars than most other people.

I think its very good practice to get a letter of value regardless of whether your vehicle is "special" or not.

Also an important note for Targa. Prestigio set the maximum speed they will insure you for. This can change from year to year. Of course you have track it built in so they will verify your position and vmax prior to the "event" that creates the claim. Best talk to Ron. Each year he has to haggle a bit with Mr barker about the level/speed of cover. I recall it was 200kmph the year we attended and although we were uninsured (like most) Ron did stick to around that speed or less on the longer straights to validate his insurance. We also stuck to that speed because the car was damn near getting thrown off the road above that!
Old 05-13-2014, 06:41 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Was planning to settle the Turbo 3.6 struts down with a road trip, and meeting you guys made some sense. However, that seems to be a bit premature now. The struts need to have a hole drilled before I can fit them and then they need to have a camber adjustment somewhere close to correct before doing hundreds of km. I don't think I can do this all before the weekend. I'll just have to hear it all through the forum posts and blog.
John. That's a bit frustrating. The best and only advice I can give you on this DIY is keep the box of kleenex out of the garage please :-)
Old 05-13-2014, 06:53 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Good work Doug and thanks for updating everyone here. I did post on this subject briefly 3-4 weeks ago when scurrying around trying to find out who would be best to value my car. I deal direct with Prestigio. I had a letter of valuation sent to them by CCS a few weeks back as per your findings above (I also spoke with Chris M re his experiences). Luckily there are never any shortage of pictures of the car and Dean documents every round of work photographically. I have no doubt there could still be a **** fight with an insurance valuer who wasnt familiar with a 993 but I dont think Id have any trouble proving that I have more knowledge of these cars than most other people. I think its very good practice to get a letter of value regardless of whether your vehicle is "special" or not. Also an important note for Targa. Prestigio set the maximum speed they will insure you for. This can change from year to year. Of course you have track it built in so they will verify your position and vmax prior to the "event" that creates the claim. Best talk to Ron. Each year he has to haggle a bit with Mr barker about the level/speed of cover. I recall it was 200kmph the year we attended and although we were uninsured (like most) Ron did stick to around that speed or less on the longer straights to validate his insurance. We also stuck to that speed because the car was damn near getting thrown off the road above that!
Macca, no shortage of photos for you. But for those of us who are with our cars on a daily basis, we don't necessarily think of doing this. I don't have detailed photos of my car's for example. Just a bunch of glory shots :-P

That speed limit you mention is an example of my frustration.... Prestigio have not given me a copy of their Targa Tour terms and conditions despite requests. They sent the track day t&cs in error, not the Targa Tour ones. This speed limit I am aware of only through the jungle telegraph. Same about excess, trackit etc. It should not be that vague. The insurance certificate says covered for targa tour on the specific dates. Then goes on to say "not covered while on closed roads or racing". Targa Tour is not racing and is on closed roads. This year they are charging $175 for the Targa Tour extension - fair enough and good value IMO. I'm not dissing Prestigio, we are lucky to have them offer cover to us. Just a little frustrating to get any documentation for what we're getting.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:00 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A bit more good publicity for Porsche: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/n...ectid=11254190

Doug: have fun on Tour!

John: huge respect for you doing your own Porsche work. And I do hope to see your SITT footage at some point, would it lose too much quality if you wrote it to DVD?
Old 05-13-2014, 07:08 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John. That's a bit frustrating. The best and only advice I can give you on this DIY is keep the box of kleenex out of the garage please :-)
No Kleenex needed I have plenty of latex gloves....

Working on cars is never straight forward. In this case the Bilstein lower strut hole is 12mm whereas the the Turbo 3.6 bolt is 14mm, bigger than the earlier cars. I'll get the strut hole drilled tomorrow. Otherwise going well. CCS charged me 2.5hrs to do the same work on the C4. I think I will put in 3 times that with amateur hour on the Turbo 3.6 and that's not counting CCS changing the spring over on the struts for nix. I find that there's a big change in attitude to cars when you work on them yourself. You also possibly do a more thorough job e.g. My time is cheap so I can spend 30 minutes picking out the gasket that goes at the strut tower top, whereas a shop wouldn't see the return trying to charge a customer to do that. I also make a point of inspecting parts next to the job I'm doing as that gives a heads up for future fixes.
Attached Images   
Old 05-13-2014, 07:27 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Obsessed
A bit more good publicity for Porsche: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/n...ectid=11254190 John: huge respect for you doing your own Porsche work. And I do hope to see your SITT footage at some point, would it lose too much quality if you wrote it to DVD?
I gave the vids to date to Doug and Peter by using a portable hard drive. Not sure how much size would be saved by downgrading the quality. If you sent me a big USB I could download them. The Crown Range is pretty good in full HD
in fact in all modesty it's bloody amazing on Peter's big screen. No real loss in quality.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?