Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014 | 05:30 AM
Ridgeline911
Advanced

Originally Posted by "Macca;"
Any particular reason you chose it over a HANs?
I chose the necksgen for a couple of reasons. The was some information that it had more side impact / lateral protection. The winglets make it easier to seat belts into. It comes with quick release posts, which made it easier to just take the helmet of for touring stages. I found it more comfortable less pressure on my collar bones.
If I was tracking my road car, I'd put in a harness bar, for a 4 or 5 point harness, and wear a Head and neck restraint.
Old 05-12-2014 | 05:46 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mark. I will consider it closely as it does seem a light & comfortable alternative to the Stand 21 HANs and obviously has some other potential benefits.

Doug. if you want to enhance your safety on the Tour ditch the convertible for a coupe. Its not a track with controlled verges - if you go off its likely down a bank.

We had four accidents during Targa Tour NZ 2012 (2 x BMW + 1 Jag 1 x Lambo Gallardo) - one of them (final stage of final day - the bloke behind me trying to chase me down!) rolled at least 2 times in a paddock! He certainly was glad he wasn't in a convertible! Overall no one was hurt a few prused, sprained bones and lacerations! I think you'd need roll hoops in a convertible to meet MSNZ.

Hey, all this talk is good aye - makes your sphincter pukka going into each stage and make the elation even greater when you finish the event in one piece. Its an "adventure sport" after all! I just love this stuff. Im so jealous.....
Old 05-12-2014 | 05:52 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Guys. If you want to make the Tour more fun think about going in costume or a theme. We had a few do that and it was a real hoot. By the end of the event we had a peeled banana taped to the front of the car with someone having doctored the plate to read "nine XL" (fat *** they called it) and a mascot tucked somewhere behind the seats.

Im thinking given you are going cabriolet maybe if Paul holds back on shaving these next few days you could buy him a wig and a frock and put him in the "wurst mobile".

No need to thank me Paul. I know you already have a favourite set of heels you can bring along...;-)
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2014 | 06:28 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Yeah - I had my toe nails painted on Sunday, it was a family thing with Jen and my girls.......

^^^^^^ I don't have the facial hair to pull that off - you need to talk to Matt?
Old 05-12-2014 | 06:38 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Doug. if you want to enhance your safety on the Tour ditch the convertible for a coupe. Its not a track with controlled verges - if you go off its likely down a bank. We had four accidents during Targa Tour NZ 2012 (2 x BMW + 1 Jag 1 x Lambo Gallardo) - one of them (final stage of final day - the bloke behind me trying to chase me down!) rolled at least 2 times in a paddock! He certainly was glad he wasn't in a convertible! Overall no one was hurt a few prused, sprained bones and lacerations! I think you'd need roll hoops in a convertible to meet MSNZ. Hey, all this talk is good aye - makes your sphincter pukka going into each stage and make the elation even greater when you finish the event in one piece. Its an "adventure sport" after all! I just love this stuff. Im so jealous.....
The Boxster has roll hoops that MSNZ are happy with for some events I believe, eg sprints. Simple way to enhance safety.... put on a helmet. While we are speed limited we are travelling over the normal 100kmph speed limit at times. The risks rise.

I suspect the authorities/rule makers think that if we wear helmets then we are likely to take higher risks or think we are racing or something. I don't believe putting on a helmet would make us take more risks. Does that work for motor bikes where it is a legal requirement to wear them?

Is there a law against wearing a helmet while driving on the open road I wonder?
Old 05-12-2014 | 06:39 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Dougie - not long to go now mate...........
Old 05-12-2014 | 06:40 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Yeah - I had my toe nails painted on Sunday, it was a family thing with Jen and my girls.......
Mmmm. You joke now, but give it a few years and those girls will be the boss of you. I think a boy child is needed Paul. After you buy the missus a house!
Old 05-12-2014 | 06:40 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Yeah - I had my toe nails painted on Sunday, it was a family thing with Jen and my girls....... ^^^^^^ I don't have the facial hair to pull that off - you need to talk to Matt? .
Ha ha, half way there already :-)

Good idea Macca
Old 05-12-2014 | 06:42 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Dougie - not long to go now mate........... .
Yeah, pretty excited. Weather forecast at this stage looks great too. Might be able to have the lid down :-P
Old 05-12-2014 | 06:48 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Is there a law against wearing a helmet while driving on the open road I wonder?
Not sure Doug. Possibly. I know its illegal to use a harness on the road in NZ.
Old 05-12-2014 | 06:52 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Thanks Mark. I will consider it closely as it does seem a light & comfortable alternative to the Stand 21 HANs and obviously has some other potential benefits.

Doug. if you want to enhance your safety on the Tour ditch the convertible for a coupe. Its not a track with controlled verges - if you go off its likely down a bank.

We had four accidents during Targa Tour NZ 2012 (2 x BMW + 1 Jag 1 x Lambo Gallardo) - one of them (final stage of final day - the bloke behind me trying to chase me down!) rolled at least 2 times in a paddock! He certainly was glad he wasn't in a convertible! Overall no one was hurt a few prused, sprained bones and lacerations! I think you'd need roll hoops in a convertible to meet MSNZ.

Hey, all this talk is good aye - makes your sphincter pukka going into each stage and make the elation even greater when you finish the event in one piece. Its an "adventure sport" after all! I just love this stuff. Im so jealous.....
I think Targa numbers are down so they are happy to top it up with Tour guys. Wait to the **** hit the fan in the tour and some one dies

There shouldnt be any heros in the Tour, its just a quick drive across the country side. Its not competition, know one should be chasing anyone down and know one should be pushing that hard they are leave the road. The Tour isnt sports event, thats what the real guys are doing, hence they have the safety equipment.
Old 05-12-2014 | 06:54 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Not sure Doug. Possibly. I know its illegal to use a harness on the road in NZ.
Its not it you have a full cage. In fact if you have a full cage you have to where harnesses on the road.
Old 05-12-2014 | 07:19 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
I think Targa numbers are down so they are happy to top it up with Tour guys. Wait to the **** hit the fan in the tour and some one dies There shouldnt be any heros in the Tour, its just a quick drive across the country side. Its not competition, know one should be chasing anyone down and know one should be pushing that hard they are leave the road. The Tour isnt sports event, thats what the real guys are doing, hence they have the safety equipment.
As said before I'll be interested in the download after the Tour. It's never been a Sunday drive in the tellings I've heard. I thought it had a lead car and a follow up car and a good pace was expected. No laggards or slow coaches and a bit of competiton thrown in to keep up with your peer cars.
Old 05-12-2014 | 07:20 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
I think Targa numbers are down so they are happy to top it up with Tour guys. Wait to the **** hit the fan in the tour and some one dies

There shouldn't be any heros in the Tour, its just a quick drive across the country side. Its not competition, know one should be chasing anyone down and know one should be pushing that hard they are leave the road. The Tour isnt sports event, thats what the real guys are doing, hence they have the safety equipment.
Whilst I agree 100%, every year at least a few cars leave the road. I think like any event of this kind where testosterone is involved the 7/10ths rule seems to go out the window. The accidents I saw were mainly due to people out driving themselves especially in the wet...

Interesting re harness rules with full cages. Didnt know that.
Old 05-12-2014 | 07:28 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
As said before I'll be interested in the download after the Tour. It's never been a Sunday drive in the tellings I've heard. I thought it had a lead car and a follow up car and a good pace was expected. No laggards or slow coaches and a bit of competiton thrown in to keep up with your peer cars.
There's some truth in this. I for one wouldn't be much interested in the event if were just a glorified "Ron's Sunday Drive". To me its a semi controlled environment (driveways taped off, roach checked before start, use of full road & verges, ambulance on hand etc) - not unlike the track but like the track (or moreso) there is an element of danger that is always present and partly a function of the speeds travelled at during the event.

Just like the bloke with the 360 today in Taupo today. You don't go into these things expecting the worse outcome or you wouldn't go into them at all.

Life sure would be boring without a little risk.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?