Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 11:42 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Doug my garages are over subscribed and not very close to airport but I may have an option for you. Need to check it out first so will get back to you end next week.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:47 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I share milked up there a couple of seasons in the mid 1990's and it was identical, except I didn't even see one European car. They must have blue screened the Lotus in. Because if it had have been real it would have been stolen by the second take. Not bad effort for '78 - Im guessing Lucus must have been involved as he had just perfected the technique with Star Wars and probably had some spare time after making the wrap and waiting fior the stream of royalties from that one movie which would make him the richest producer in Hollywood for the next 40 years (no lie!)..... John, for this trip I reckon you need to grow the Mo again!! Start now and by the time you get to see the cousies in Invercargil it will be bona fide - they will respect you bro!
That's a Ferrari. It brings back how different cars have become. Imagine Paul's car back in those days. Like an alien on the roads. Not much problem dispatching all of those Cortinas - water cooled road cones!

I had wondered about the level of shaving required over the trip, but not specifically about growing a mo.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:36 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
Doug my garages are over subscribed and not very close to airport but I may have an option for you. Need to check it out first so will get back to you end next week.
Thanks Graeme. Much appreciated.

With a bit deeper searching on Google last night I found the Airport Motel, 142 Tirangi Road, Rongotai - which is just around the other side of the airport. They offer under cover longer term parking with airport pickup/drop off service included. A couple of weeks would cost me a shade over $200. Not cheap but then no $50 taxi rides to/from the airport either. I need to check out my arrival time in Wellington off the ferry and look into flights. I think i'll get into Wellington from the ferry too late to fly out that night so may need to stay there overnight anyway. I'll give them a call tonight as it may be a very convenient solution.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:47 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by PHG
Thanks Pete. I appreciate the input. I noted Maccas pics last week re the split in his. Did you just 'peel' yr tyre off the rim so to speak!!
It was flat in the garage when I checked in the morning. Chopped out the side wall (photo attached). Suspect damage started on the track and I finished it off driving home with cold tyres and low pressure. I have since replaced the ruined tyre (left rear which does the most work at HD) and also removed and replaced the right rear. It looked okay but I wanted to check it out given what happened to the left side.
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2014, 02:52 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by PHG
Does Anne need a new horse, Chris.. I know Mack from boating, was a partner of my BiL, Scott MacIndoe
Its a small world! Not sure about the horses, Mack and Anne have been spending a lot of time overseas and haven't stayed there for a few years and now Mack is selling his 996tt race car they probably don't need it to store a car, so I suspect selling due to just not using it.

Last edited by ChrisB_NZ; 02-27-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:26 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Vestiges of the phone kit. I cut the rest out, as I did with the CD changer. Now where is the best place to put the microphone?
Plantronics Voyager Legend
Old 02-27-2014, 05:54 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Plantronics Voyager Legend
I have Bluetooth on the radio, this is to record sound on the Hero. The 964 has such a good note, that it's a shame to lose it in the wind noise on my recordings.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:58 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have Bluetooth on the radio, this is to record sound on the Hero. The 964 has such a good note, that it's a shame to lose it in the wind noise on my recordings.
Ahhhh ... There's no easy way to run a wire through the firewall, is there? Maybe out the wiper delete plug and into the engine bay.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:53 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Ahhhh ... There's no easy way to run a wire through the firewall, is there? Maybe out the wiper delete plug and into the engine bay.
Now wouldn't that be a great product - a stealth camera and microphone unit to place in the rear wiper hole?
Old 02-27-2014, 08:14 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi John. You have two options. You can mount a dedicated mic on the back side of the GoPro. I use the GorPro frame (it has the hole already cut out for power and microphone) wit the extended battery and a velcro "dot" on the back of the batter which holds the Sony DS70P omni directional microphone. The key issue of course is the placement, size and quality of the microphone built into the GoPro. With this arrangement the microphone is somewhat shielded by the GoPro and if you use a "deadcat" (one of those fluffy covers) you can reduce the wind noise significantly as well. I bought the deadcat on ebay specially designed for the sony mic Im using. Because the mic is now facing the rear of the car it will definitely pick up the engine sound more clearly and louder.

The better method which I may use on SITT (and which isnt available for you) is to mount the microphone on one of the half cage struts closer to the rear window.

The GoPro extended battery works with the stock batter and gives me around 1.5 hours running time with WiFi on (I activate the set up on and off from the remote on my keyfob). A 32 GB SD gives similar coverage using my settings so its generally good for a full 6 session track day I should think although always carry spare batteries (and the damn remote battery seems to fail by about 60 mins!).

The ultimate solution (which I have just purchased a cable for but have not yet tried - but have done a bit of research on) is to run a 12ft cable out the passenger window and own the rear of the car and attach the microphone again using the velcro dot system to the number plate (usually in a recess). Again the deadcat is critical here to not getting any unwanted noise.

Just as an aside, I never run on the track or Targa with the window down. on Targa I use the air con (loosing a few hp ultimately doesnt matter - being comfortable during "date convulsing" moments is more important). On the track I just use my unique hot weather low altitude "vanuatu" training and sweat my *** off! Actually its currently 32C and 90% here so NZ always seems "cool".

My reasoning for above is Owen Evans. The reason they have nets in racing cars is to stop your arms flailing out during a barrel roll. Although the glass is only momentary protection Id rather not have my arms at risk. I can drive a car without a kidney or with a scar on my forehead but not without my arms! If you talk to anyone in accident recovery and trauma they will tell you what rolling a car can look like when teh driver has had his window fully down (and often arm hanging out while driving!).
Attached Images      
Old 02-27-2014, 08:32 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I have some spare fur off the (live) white cat. I could run out through the hole for the phone attenna and put the fur on the end. Anyone following me would be distracted.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:44 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have some spare fur off the (live) white cat. I could run out through the hole for the phone attenna and put the fur on the end. Anyone following me would be distracted.
Hmmm - Herman just grew a tail....
Old 02-27-2014, 09:14 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Hmmm - Herman just grew a tail....
Goes with the nodding dog head.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:45 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hummm, my precious...............
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2014, 10:51 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The 'natural order' goes from the track to the mechanics (964's behind)
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?