Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 04:37 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Steve's cars are now famous.... Featured on this facebook page with over 8,000 followers
Photo looks familiar
Old 02-25-2014, 04:51 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
NOW YOU ARE TALKING............!!

Much, much better look - and you will take 1 or 2 Macca's off your times.

Not dissing your car John, but the stance was never right, now you have nailed it.

Am I alone in thinking it is a bit unbalanced? Nice at the rear but a bit too high at the front?
Old 02-25-2014, 04:52 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

991 RS......... wow that is hot hot hot.
needs manually adjustable shocks so can dial back a bit for the road
makes your deal opportunity look a bargain Macca
Old 02-25-2014, 05:00 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Am I alone in thinking it is a bit unbalanced? Nice at the rear but a bit too high at the front?
That was my thought as well. Peter said he sets the rear height then sets the front to give the correct rake. I will see it all tomorrow, as will you.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah Graeme. Tax free factory Euro pricing vs PNZ Retail. Like the parts situation....
Old 02-25-2014, 05:01 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
I agree but Peter had to lift it already thats why its nose happy?
Old 02-25-2014, 05:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
That was my thought as well. Peter said he sets the rear height then sets the front to give the correct rake. I will see it all tomorrow, as will you.
Ooops. Must have posted same time. Sorry John, I thought Pete had lifted the front already. Id keep it how it is and try it out at HD and if it gives you trouble get him to raise it.

That bitumen where the first photo was taken has a slope on it - I know from many years experience everything looks nose up on that - its not flat at all just there - infact no where in that car park is only the workshop floor...
Old 02-25-2014, 05:10 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Ooops. Must have posted same time. Sorry John, I thought Pete had lifted the front already. Id keep it how it is and try it out at HD and if it gives you trouble get him to raise it. That bitumen where the first photo was taken has a slope on it - I know from many years experience everything looks nose up on that - its not flat at all just there - infact no where in that car park is only the workshop floor...
So many variables. There's more than one type of Bilstein. I'm not yet aware what type was fitted etc. I know that the front and rear don't match perfectly as the rears are RUF Bilsteins and the fronts are Bilsteins. Doesn't pay to assume that it's correct or incorrect. I'm kicking myself for not saying stop. I don't need another set of struts, I want a matching set that go with H&R reds. Right now I've got an expensive temporary fix. The plan was good, the execution less so. All will be known tomorrow.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John, 19 days till departure. If you pushed the button tomorrow I can help get a full set of Bilseten HD or coilover PSS10 into NZ and fitted before you depart. Would be tight and require favours but it can be done and I can help arrange it if you get really stuck. Remember you can have all four of the RUF bilstein rebuilt around the corner from CCS too....just some options. Mismatched shocks probably not the best situation but see how they handle tomorrow and take it from there.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:53 AM
PHG
Racer

Originally Posted by Maxem
This. A 1970 T with a 3.2.
It will be painted the original Signal Orange and it will bother 964's. Ha! Maybe not.
This will be the full fat, as it comes, original 911 experience but with a couple of big hairy ones instead of grape pips
LHD Dave?
Old 02-25-2014, 05:54 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John, 19 days till departure. If you pushed the button tomorrow I can help get a full set of Bilseten HD or coilover PSS10 into NZ and fitted before you depart. Would be tight and require favours but it can be done and I can help arrange it if you get really stuck. Remember you can have all four of the RUF bilstein rebuilt around the corner from CCS too....just some options. Mismatched shocks probably not the best situation but see how they handle tomorrow and take it from there.
Appreciate the offer Macca, but I just don't need the stress right now. Like many of us, the next few weeks will be very busy trying to make up for two weeks off work.

As stated before the base combo of Bilstein HDs and H&R Reds has been proven over many years. As I understand it, my RUF Bilsteins are revalved Bilstein HDs so they should be good.

No one else seems to have experienced this problem. I know the H&R Reds are good. Next step is to see what has been fitted as shocks. I've already asked Dean, albeit after hours. I expect a reply tomorrow morning. With that knowledge I can go to the next possible step. There are two forms of Bilsteins and there appears to be a difference between certain year models. There is a possibility the shocks are incorrect.

Whatever the case I will get the two RUF shocks that are off the car rebuilt. Depending on how the current suspension goes I will put the RUFs back in or just wait and use them on the Turbo 3.6. It's a first world problem and will be resolved.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:15 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. If you get stuck for time and need any running around I have a few days free on the week before SITT and can deliver car for geo, pick up rebuilt struts and oversee young Rob getting these on the car quickly and generally push it all along for you no problem. Ive been through the suspension thing many times and know what to look for. Just let me know...

Yes Im guessing Steve may have sent t=you some B6s. They are softer than the B8 and could exhibit the behaviour Pete talks of. The rufs are probably revalved slightly harder than the HDs...
Old 02-25-2014, 01:38 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John McM
This is where I'm at right now. Only pic I have.
wow nice car. i love the duck tail
Old 02-25-2014, 01:46 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
LHD Dave?
Yes, it will stay LHD to add to the weirdness experience.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:31 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John. If you get stuck for time and need any running around I have a few days free on the week before SITT and can deliver car for geo, pick up rebuilt struts and oversee young Rob getting these on the car quickly and generally push it all along for you no problem. Ive been through the suspension thing many times and know what to look for. Just let me know... Yes Im guessing Steve may have sent t=you some B6s. They are softer than the B8 and could exhibit the behaviour Pete talks of. The rufs are probably revalved slightly harder than the HDs...
Thanks. We'll see how it all unfolds. Definitely needs to be HD model with internal bump stops. Not sure that they can lower the car with B6 model. Update later today when I can see the car and drive it.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?