Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014 | 11:23 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by John McM
I'm watching the 996TT thread with interest. Right now I'm focussed on getting the fuel pump replaced and am not in a mind to track it again but you are getting some great times that are attractive considering I already have the base car.
Always good to keep your options open John, water cooled is not all bad and I now have 3 sets of rims for the 996tt, so you know where to come if you need a set again .
Old 03-12-2014 | 11:36 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Always good to keep your options open John, water cooled is not all bad and I now have 3 sets of rims for the 996tt, so you know where to come if you need a set again .
This year is consolidation, car wise. I was enjoying the 996TT performance at Puke until I blew the coolant fitting. Now I've done the fuel pump and they are not cheap. I know these cars are subject to the same age issues as any car so I have to be realistic.

Right now I'll sit back and read about all of the sorting work you guys are doing and work out if it's for me. The attraction is the quantum leap in power.

First off I need to break the 1.19.50 barrier in the C4 to tell myself I've cracked it.
Old 03-13-2014 | 12:18 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by John McM
This year is consolidation, car wise. I was enjoying the 996TT performance at Puke until I blew the coolant fitting. Now I've done the fuel pump and they are not cheap. I know these cars are subject to the same age issues as any car so I have to be realistic.

Right now I'll sit back and read about all of the sorting work you guys are doing and work out if it's for me. The attraction is the quantum leap in power.

First off I need to break the 1.19.50 barrier in the C4 to tell myself I've cracked it.
That makes a lot of sense to me. For me its not about the fastest lap, its about doing the fastest possible lap in whatever I'm driving, knowing I got everything I could out of the car and me. I know I get more satisfaction out of nailing a lap in my 944 than I do out of a fast lap in the 996tt.

The 996tt will fill 3 spots for me; daily drive, Targa Tour and NITT and SITT type action. Outside of NITT and SITT it won't see any track action except for maybe a shake down session just before a Targa Tour.

The 996tt is just too heavy for track action and therefore not as nimble and as much fun to drive there. It also has all the wear extra items associated with more weight.
Old 03-13-2014 | 12:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

^^^^ Chris I think you have it spot on. Add to that bang for buck and its a winner for your associated use.
Old 03-13-2014 | 12:27 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by Macca
^^^^ Chris I think you have it spot on. Add to that bang for buck and its a winner for your associated use.
Certainly a lot of car for the money and once you get everything up to scratch, very cheap to get going a lot quicker in a straight line.
Old 03-13-2014 | 04:35 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well - I will have to say a lot of thank you's as everyone concerned from Aironaut, MAF agent and compliance agent all pulled out the stops and delivered HHU552 late today - in time to make the transporter at 7:30 am tomorrow. Just!

iPhone photo makes it look orange but I assure you it is RED.

Have only had a few brief drives - maybe an hour all up this evening but it is a pretty epic drive. Doug will know the feeling. Sports seats are amazing - will be good on track. Too many electronics to figure out yet but managed to set the kmh digital speedo at least (although it was fun pretending the miles were actually kms for a while.)

So now have to wait a few extra days to reunite in Chch and see the rest of the crew en route to Franz Joseph.

As John says about 20 pages back - Bring It On!
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2014 | 04:58 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Well - I will have to say a lot of thank you's as everyone concerned from Aironaut, MAF agent and compliance agent all pulled out the stops and delivered HHU552 late today - in time to make the transporter at 7:30 am tomorrow. Just! iPhone photo makes it look orange but I assure you it is RED. Have only had a few brief drives - maybe an hour all up this evening but it is a pretty epic drive. Doug will know the feeling. Sports seats are amazing - will be good on track. Too many electronics to figure out yet but managed to set the kmh digital speedo at least (although it was fun pretending the miles were actually kms for a while.) So now have to wait a few extra days to reunite in Chch and see the rest of the crew en route to Franz Joseph. As John says about 20 pages back - Bring It On!
Whooohoo. If you slow down at some stage i'll get some footage on the GoPros through the twisties. With Jake's camera and 64gb card and my gear we can do some combo shots.
Old 03-13-2014 | 04:59 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Great work mate! Hopefully I'll be joining you by the end of tommorow. Car arrived today, done MAF transport tommorow morning to compliance you'll love those seats have similar in GT3 little bit less constrictive than the 993 buckets.

See you Wednesday!.
Old 03-13-2014 | 04:59 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Looks great Pete, will be a bit more comfortable that the 944 on the SITT . Looking forward to seeing it in the morning.
Old 03-13-2014 | 05:01 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by Macca
Great work mate! Hopefully I'll be joining you by the end of tommorow. Car arrived today, done MAF transport tommorow morning to compliance you'll love those seats have similar in GT3 little bit less constrictive than the 993 buckets.

See you Wednesday!.
So we could see the GT3 on the SITT, that would be awesome!
Old 03-13-2014 | 05:06 AM
356Downunder
Rennlist Member

What a stunning looking car Peter…………and all the moreso in red, looks amazing!!
Bob
Old 03-13-2014 | 05:29 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys- stress level just dropped a few notches as it turns out the 944 was no go for tomorrow transport anyway - strut replacement was going to finish after the transporter had left. May still have made it via a different route but history now.

Here comes 7/10 ths - for real.

Macca - fingers crossed mate!
Old 03-13-2014 | 05:41 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Thanks guys- stress level just dropped a few notches as it turns out the 944 was no go for tomorrow transport anyway - strut replacement was going to finish after the transporter had left. May still have made it via a different route but history now. Here comes 7/10 ths - for real. Macca - fingers crossed mate!
Awesome! Glad to see things have fallen into place for you. What a great way to break in a new ride - new tracks & memories & scenery.
Old 03-13-2014 | 05:44 AM
Obsessed
Pro

That's great news Pete. If you squint a bit, I reckon the plate says "Hussy"
Old 03-13-2014 | 05:54 AM
PHG
Racer

Well - I will have to say a lot of thank you's as everyone concerned from Aironaut, MAF agent and compliance agent all pulled out the stops and delivered HHU552 late today - in time to make the transporter at 7:30 am tomorrow. Just!

iPhone photo makes it look orange but I assure you it is RED.

Have only had a few brief drives - maybe an hour all up this evening but it is a pretty epic drive. Doug will know the feeling. Sports seats are amazing - will be good on track. Too many electronics to figure out yet but managed to set the kmh digital speedo at least (although it was fun pretending the miles were actually kms for a while.)

So now have to wait a few extra days to reunite in Chch and see the rest of the crew en route to Franz Joseph.

As John says about 20 pages back - Bring It On!
congrats Pete
A cool looking vehicle

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?