Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 09:09 PM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Paul, I'm interested in seeing the AIM trace to see where you pick up the time, considering Vmax is similar to Herman. Although the best way to do that is send me a data file and I'm not sure how to do that.
I don't have the software in front of me, but I *think* if you right click a session in Race Analysis there will be an option to open the folder the session file is stored in, then you can copy it out and email it.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Well from my experience so far - low 18's easy, mid 17's when pushing. Probably capable of a high 16 with a bit more experience and a fraction more with some residual lightening.

If Paul is hitting 18's on crap suspension (Tommy Tippee!) then there won't be much in it if anything once that's sorted. So depends if lap times are the goal or he want's to go racing... If the latter then its a far cheaper package to 'give it a go.' Not cheap by 2k cup standards but still a lot cheaper than running say an RS replica spec.
Pete. That's pretty much what I thought. An yes I agree if racing is the next move the 44 is a logical first step....

Mind you the graduation of the RSG group towards full racing has been slower than I anticipated. I take it you will be racing at the beginning of the 14/15 season? I expect once one goes to the Porsche series we will see a flurry of others (Paul?, Chris already there, who am I missing?)....
Old 02-26-2014, 09:46 PM
O2GO
Drifting

I'm thinking of leaving my car in Wellington at the end of the SITT for 2 weeks and flying home. 2 weeks later I have our annual Easter tour which starts in Wellington. Jan would prefer the comfort of the Boxster but this would save me a lot of miles.

Does anyone have or know where I could store it securely under cover nearish to Wellington airport? The airport's long term parking is in salt laden open air :-(

Dates are 29/3 to 12/4
Old 02-26-2014, 09:58 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Looking good Nic, a few people on here might want your license plate.......
Oh, the number plate?

Name:  38FBA5E9-7980-4119-B58C-BBB9D5654426_zpsju1tpbgo.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  124.9 KB

That was a mission. I dont think joe public even knows its a personalised plate, which Im happy about (2 letters, 3 numbers, just in the wrong order).
I had to get Porsche NZ to authorise the Porsche plate (crest) because plates.co.nz werent aloud to issue a Porsche plate on an Audi. Porsche NZ came to the party with the cars lineage though.

FYI, the plate was a deregistered trailer plate.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:17 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Pete. That's pretty much what I thought. An yes I agree if racing is the next move the 44 is a logical first step.... Mind you the graduation of the RSG group towards full racing has been slower than I anticipated. I take it you will be racing at the beginning of the 14/15 season? I expect once one goes to the Porsche series we will see a flurry of others (Paul?, Chris already there, who am I missing?)....
Nigel spoke about his racing experience, after the BBQ. Basically it's a huge time and money commitment. Ten years ago the fields were large. Now, not so much. Add the need to build racecraft on top of speed and I can see why it's taking longer for someone to make the next move.

I like the lack of need for commitment in classic trials I.e. You enrol if suits. Otherwise no worries. That's why I want to do 2kcup. However I doubt I will ever move to Porsche racing. Too any other needs on my time and resources and it will only get worse as my work area restructures and I end up travelling a lot. That's why I've attended so many events in the last year. Nothing is ever guaranteed to stay the same.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:41 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

^^^^ I agree with your position here. Personally it doesn't fit into our lifestyle. From 2015 we want to travel 6 months of the year so fitting much more than 1 or 2 x HD days in, a NITT and an annual Targa NZ will be out of scope...

Over the years Ive known quite a few Bridgestone racers. Many come and go. Mostly they are fairly moneyed (at the time at least) and although they are attracted to Porsche they are not enthusiasts like most of us on this board. By that I mean many of them move on to another series, hobby, project or brand but most dont enjoy hot rodding these cars and a general passion for them like displayed on this board. That being said there is a place for someone who wishes to do both.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:06 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by PHG
Thanks Matt,John and Chris
given my first try at these, what cold start temp you recommend
Phil. I chopped through the side wall of a new tyre yesterday (left rear), so will now be getting to at least Matt's recommendation of minimum 36 pound in the rear when hot. I spoke to Dave Taylor (Motorsport Services) today. Dave has managed a few racing 996tt's and he said they used to run the rears around 40 pound when hot, The speed and weight of the car together with the wide low profile tyres on the rear meant they used to regularly chop out the side walls if they ran the pressures to low. I will also do a bit more research on Rennlist to get others views.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:09 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Phil. I chopped through the side wall of a new tyre yesterday (left rear), so will now be getting to at least Matt's recommendation of minimum 36 pound in the rear when hot. I spoke to Dave Taylor (Motorsport Services) today. Dave has managed a few racing 996tt's and he said they used to run the rears around 40 pound when hot, The speed and weight of the car together with the wide low profile tyres on the rear meant they used to regularly chop out the side walls if they ran the pressures to low. I will also do a bit more research on Rennlist to get others views.
The ones that Phil has are 285mm wide. Were yours the same size?
Old 02-27-2014, 12:10 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

^^^^ I agree with your position here. Personally it doesn't fit into our lifestyle. From 2015 we want to travel 6 months of the year so fitting much more than 1 or 2 x HD days in, a NITT and an annual Targa NZ will be out of scope...

Over the years Ive known quite a few Bridgestone racers. Many come and go. Mostly they are fairly moneyed (at the time at least) and although they are attracted to Porsche they are not enthusiasts like most of us on this board. By that I mean many of them move on to another series, hobby, project or brand but most dont enjoy hot rodding these cars and a general passion for them like displayed on this board. That being said there is a place for someone who wishes to do both.
I think the Porsche racing has changed a lot over the years. Now that it has dropped from a tier 1 to a tier 2 series you get less of the fast, semi professional, highly sponsored racers who move from series to series trying to win a Motorsport NZ cup. Its mostly die hard Porsche guys now, most of which have Porsche road cars as well, many 964's and 993's.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:12 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

The ones that Phil has are 285mm wide. Were yours the same size?
Same size rims with 315/30's on the rear, a big tyre.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:15 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
I think the Porsche racing has changed a lot over the years. Now that it has dropped from a tier 1 to a tier 2 series you get less of the fast, semi professional, highly sponsored racers who move from series to series trying to win a Motorsport NZ cup. Its mostly die hard Porsche guys now, most of which have Porsche road cars as well, many 964's and 993's.
Chris, I haven't really paid much attention since I emigrated from NZ 8 years ago. Good to know things have changed...
Old 02-27-2014, 12:16 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Pete. That's pretty much what I thought. An yes I agree if racing is the next move the 44 is a logical first step....

Mind you the graduation of the RSG group towards full racing has been slower than I anticipated. I take it you will be racing at the beginning of the 14/15 season? I expect once one goes to the Porsche series we will see a flurry of others (Paul?, Chris already there, who am I missing?)....
What Peter said in his email.

I actually want to race with a group of people. There are 2 groups in the Porsche series (GT3's and 944's). We all want to race 911's, but I don't have $70-90K to buy and $30-40K a year to be competitive-ish.

A 944 costs $25K, and $10K will buy some mod's or lightening to run in the 1.16's. An engine is $7K to rebuild, not $20K??, some but not all bills are half price.

Hot laps are boring once you get up to speed.

The 993 will retire very quickly (after SITT) and I will be side-lined to the Sunday driver squad for a while. It would not be politically correct to buy a race car until replacement house solution is resolved, so this drives the time line.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:18 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
What Peter said in his email. I actually want to race with a group of people. There are 2 groups in the Porsche series (GT3's and 944's). We all want to race 911's, but I don't have $70-90K to buy and $30-40K a year to be competitive-ish. A 944 costs $25K, and $10K will buy some mod's or lightening to run in the 1.16's. An engine is $7K to rebuild, not $20K??, some but not all bills are half price. Hot laps are boring once you get up to speed. The 993 will retire very quickly (after SITT) and I will be side-lined to the Sunday driver squad for a while. It would not be politically correct to buy a race car until replacement house solution is resolved, so this drive the time line.
Replacement house? You didn't sell Jen's dream home from under her did you? The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree!
Old 02-27-2014, 12:21 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Chris B, what pressures do you run in your 17's hot and cold?
Old 02-27-2014, 12:26 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Replacement house? You didn't sell Jen's dream home from under her did you? The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree!
He he - can't say too much..........

I was planning to take Pete through when it's finished - you can come for a nosey too.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?