Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 12:27 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
He he - can't say too much.......... I was planning to take Pete through when it finished - you can come for a nosey too.
I'd like that. Make sure your replacement house has a 2 post lift so your pals can use it
Old 02-27-2014, 12:29 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris B, what pressures do you run in your 17's hot and cold?
On the 944 I run hot at 32 all round. Typically start at 26 all round at HD and bleed a bit after the first session so I can adjust for track temp etc. If they come in slightly down after the first session, say 31, I just leave them as they typically get a bit hotter in the second session. A mixture of the day heating up and me going faster as I get in to the groove.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:30 AM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Phil. I chopped through the side wall of a new tyre yesterday (left rear), so will now be getting to at least Matt's recommendation of minimum 36 pound in the rear when hot. I spoke to Dave Taylor (Motorsport Services) today. Dave has managed a few racing 996tt's and he said they used to run the rears around 40 pound when hot, The speed and weight of the car together with the wide low profile tyres on the rear meant they used to regularly chop out the side walls if they ran the pressures to low. I will also do a bit more research on Rennlist to get others views.
Another factor to watch with that is running too low cold temps when first starting... might be safer to start close to the target temp and drop after you come in rather than starting in the 20s.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:30 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

The difference is that the 944 without me in it weighs around 1120 kgs (running with second seat etc.), the 996tt is 1540kg's out of the factory and mine hasn't been lightened.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:31 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by Macca
Chris, I haven't really paid much attention since I emigrated from NZ 8 years ago. Good to know things have changed...
Its changed a lot even in the last 5 years, but very different to 8 years ago.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:34 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What Peter said in his email.

A 944 costs $25K, and $10K will buy some mod's or lightening to run in the 1.16's. An engine is $7K to rebuild, not $20K??, some but not all bills are half price.

Hot laps are boring once you get up to speed.
I agree the 44 is a cheaper racing solution. Buy an already prepared race car for $30K and be done with it. My experience owning a 968 (in terms of engine rebuild costs) suggests you pulled the 7K figure out of your *** tho ;-P Doing the water pump, distributor, leads and timing belts on that car was around 3.5-4K alone including parts and labour if I recall correctly. Its still a Porsche and the labour is still $100 an hour.

I dont think Ill get the chance to get bored of hot laps. If I do renting a car from Lyall Williams and doing the HD Enduro with 2 other mates is on the bucket list.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:35 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by mjg
Another factor to watch with that is running too low cold temps when first starting... might be safer to start close to the target temp and drop after you come in rather than starting in the 20s.
I agree. And I will be putting some more air in them before I drive home from the track if the tyres have cooled down. I must have driven home around 20 - 22 pound (readings this morning) after they cooled down while we were at Steves last night.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:44 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone have or know where I could store it securely under cover nearish to Wellington airport?
Doug, I could check if the Air Force would be happy to stick it in their air movements terminal on the other side. Haven't been there for years but I could ask? It would mean a 5 min taxi ride to the other side of the airport and you'd have to drop and lift during normalise working hours I guess.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:47 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My experience owning a 968 (in terms of engine rebuild costs) suggests you pulled the 7K figure out of your *** tho ;-P .
I don't from personal experience, this is what Daniel told me last night. When I asked why a 44 engine is so much cheaper he said the parts are cheaper and labour is significantly less - just like pulling apart any other 4 cylinder engine.

For $7K I could buy another car almost..........? Well half a car..........
Old 02-27-2014, 12:54 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Phil. I chopped through the side wall of a new tyre yesterday (left rear), so will now be getting to at least Matt's recommendation of minimum 36 pound in the rear when hot. I spoke to Dave Taylor (Motorsport Services) today. Dave has managed a few racing 996tt's and he said they used to run the rears around 40 pound when hot, The speed and weight of the car together with the wide low profile tyres on the rear meant they used to regularly chop out the side walls if they ran the pressures to low. I will also do a bit more research on Rennlist to get others views.
Thanks for that info Chris - valuable stuff. I've normally dropped my street compound cold pressures by about 5 or so psi for session/race 1 then dropped the hot pressures back to about 34/42 after each later session - just under the standard cold pressures. Drove home with track pressures once and let it cool overnight to check the total difference and they were 26/34 cold the next morning. Always thought it would be pushing it to drop them closer to that when going in cold though, for the reasons you mention.

Picking up my own R-comps any day now. Just as well, looking at the times some of those pedaling the air-cooled machinery are running now.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:01 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Thanks for that info Chris - valuable stuff. I've normally dropped my street compound cold pressures by about 5 or so psi for session/race 1 then dropped the hot pressures back to about 34/42 after each later session - just under the standard cold pressures. Drove home with track pressures once and let it cool overnight to check the total difference and they were 26/34 cold the next morning. Always thought it would be pushing it to drop them closer to that when going in cold though, for the reasons you mention.

Picking up my own R-comps any day now. Just as well, looking at the times some of those pedaling the air-cooled machinery are running now.
Yes, the arms race is alive and well at HD I was at Drury Tyres today, looking at your car from their carpark!

Last edited by ChrisB_NZ; 02-27-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:51 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
Doug, I could check if the Air Force would be happy to stick it in their air movements terminal on the other side. Haven't been there for years but I could ask? It would mean a 5 min taxi ride to the other side of the airport and you'd have to drop and lift during normalise working hours I guess.
Hey thanks for that Jason. Unfortunately the drop off and pick up in Wellington are during the weekends. I could work with normal 9-5 hours but drop off would probably be a Sunday, and pickup a Saturday. Does that make this option too hard?
Old 02-27-2014, 01:57 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, the arms race is alive and well at HD I was at Drury Tyres today, looking at your car from the carpark!
Chris. Out of interest what kind of times is the 996TT at HD on R compounds and performance pads? Im thinking 1.15-1.16 on stock suspension?
Old 02-27-2014, 02:12 AM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Chris. Out of interest what kind of times is the 996TT at HD on R compounds and performance pads? Im thinking 1.15-1.16 on stock suspension?
I did a 1:16.5 yesterday, but the Yokohama tyres are rubbish..new but manufactured 9 years ago and hard compound. I will do the Targa Tour and SITT on Dunlop Direzza's which is what I did the NITT on last year and they were a lot better. I will get in some back to back testing on the different tyres at HD on the 12th, before the SITT. I haven't ruled out Z221's yet either. Too may options!
Old 02-27-2014, 02:14 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Chris, what garaging options are there at HD?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?