Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 01:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Dean hasn't identified any further damage, although I have sent him a picture of Jason's damage, just to show him what happens elsewhere.

I've got on my largest pair of big boy pants right now. Let's be clear, the issue appears isolated to the pins coming adrift and damaging other parts. The solution is to weld the pins. If the crack is all I have, there may well be a way to weld or pin it. I'm not a metallergist so I don't know the relative strengths of those. I may well have to just replace it.

Peter, I will check for you
It certainly sounds like it could have been alot worse John. Not sure the outcome if that pin had have moved another 5mm out. The crack has appeared at the weakest place and it looks like a one piece carrier. My guess is the whole housing may need to be replaced although once the pin is in position and welded along with the others the torquing stress on that part may be reduced. Welding will only put a bead around the fracture but not add any read strength I suspect. A used carrier could work quite well. Just as well you had it checked! I dont see the car being on the road any time too soon if parts are required.

On the subject of new parts I find Mark at FD Motorsports excellent.

Peter. Wise move. Given your C4 has now seen a dozen track sessions Id definitely consider having it strengthened especially before September.

Im sure the 964T will be alot of fun during the gymkhana. Dont expect to break records. The two 964Ts on the Parade Gymkhana were bloody entertaining. Smooth is fast. Get into second gear as soon as you can and use your torque to get you through. Keep light on the throttle....
Old 05-23-2013, 03:09 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Cogs Cogs has these used - not sure if Jason has pulled the trigger first though in case there is only one!

http://shop.cogscogs.com/Distributor...-10_c_715.html

item #27 US$1,700 new or $700 2nd hand
Thanks for that. Should I feel lucky I only broke one part or unlucky it was the most expensive one? Dean is looking at repair first. If that's not possible I'll order the used one. I don't think Jason had the same part broken so I'm not competing.

All this is a salutory lesson. I actually feel lucky to have the wider input to check these things out. Let's face it, I could have run out of oil on the track, then had the clutch go, replace the clutch and get oil all over it, then have the planetary gear go. Instead I just get to do it all at one time.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:38 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that. Should I feel lucky I only broke one part or unlucky it was the most expensive one? Dean is looking at repair first. If that's not possible I'll order the used one. I don't think Jason had the same part broken so I'm not competing.
Looking at his photos (pg 2 of his thread) he definitely needs that part.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:01 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S

Looking at his photos (pg 2 of his thread) he definitely needs that part.
You're right. I gather he must have sorted his parts by now. Might have to get in before you need one!
Old 05-23-2013, 05:06 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

More new parts. These are the two oil lines that go down the right hand side of a 964.
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2013, 05:19 AM
PHG
Racer

John, these biggest big boy pants of yours.. do they have hi or low pockets.. to think this all started with some offending tissue paper.. still, could have been worse as you said, 1 expensive part v many expensive parts..AFTER putting the girl back together.. She will be a treat at the end of it all. Enjoy..somehow!
Old 05-23-2013, 06:14 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
John, these biggest big boy pants of yours.. do they have hi or low pockets.. to think this all started with some offending tissue paper.. still, could have been worse as you said, 1 expensive part v many expensive parts..AFTER putting the girl back together.. She will be a treat at the end of it all. Enjoy..somehow!
Phil, no need for pockets as no money left. Very lucky my expat exploits allow me to indulge this hobby. Need to focus on the prize right now. It will come.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:30 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Just checked Excellence said 5W 40 Motul 8100 X-Max esp for aircooled due to better thermal transfer
Old 05-23-2013, 07:29 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Macca - got the lez-bot packed for tomorrow mate??
Old 05-23-2013, 07:51 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks Graeme. Ill look into that...

Paul. Actually the lezbot is dong the packing as we speak. Red eye out of here so very early morning wake up call! See you on the other side...
Old 05-23-2013, 07:51 AM
Phil Bagshaw
Rennlist Member

Default Oil ...continued

Hi folks
Just to confirm the analysis was done on Mobil 1 5W 50, last oil change from my Boxster S (109,000kms total) after 6000kms / 10 months. Both Zn and P, the key anti-wear additives , were well below the spec sheet nominal and about half the level of the SAME oil used in a Boxster S in the USA.

The lab guys say these values don't change much with usage. My concern is the 23 ppm copper level that is indicative of journal wear. Normal Cu leve is about 2ppm. I'm not thinking IMS bearing because that's a ball bearing made from carbon chrome steel and the fe and Cr levels in the oil are low.... phew!.

I've changed to Fuchs Supersyn 5W 40 because I can purchase at trade price (still $15/L though), its Porsche approved, and typical Zn and P are 1200ppm and 1100ppm respectively. I'll take a small sample after 2000kms to find out actuals and check on the Cu. (Goughs in Christchurch do the analysis).

I race air cooled Ducati motorbikes and use Motul on the dry clutch bike and a semi synthetic - Spectro - on the wet clutch bike. I've been using these oils for more than 10 yrs with great results. I'm not impressed with the way Porsche/Mobil/Continental Cars are taking care of the M96 engines. High journal wear on a FSH car, still under factory warranty, using fully synthetic oil specified by the factory and the original fill, is bordering on negligence.

If the Fuchs doesnt give any improvement I'll be changing to the motorcycle oils or importing oils from the USA...I reckon with NZ Posts YouShop postage will be about $30/gallon.

I hope my results are a special case and other Mobil 1 users are getting closer to the nominal values of Zn/P.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:38 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Phil, no need for pockets as no money left. Very lucky my expat exploits allow me to indulge this hobby. Need to focus on the prize right now. It will come.

Race Track cocaine.......................
Old 05-23-2013, 10:57 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911

Race Track cocaine.......................
Yet another delayed Air NZ flight. Should not have watched Singer video on YouTube......
Old 05-24-2013, 01:55 AM
mjg
Pro

Currently investigating CAN bus ECU integration with my track data logger for the GT3... I'm sure it's major overkill, but I am a self confessed data junkie.

Anyone heading to the Playday at Taupo on June 1st?
Old 05-24-2013, 04:56 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Is that what Simon is doing here?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?